New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

tongue [3.5] New Race: Surikats

A new race: great big meerkats! Woo!

Is this balanced?

Surikats

Personality: Surikats are playful, inquisitive beings, but this is temperered with a natural caution. Family is very important to them, and they live in large extended-family groups. Different clans control different areas in their homelands, but Surikats are not particularly violent creatures and thus rarely compete for territories, the smaller family often just moving on to a new area. However, when disputes arise within the clan hierarchy, surikats will occasionally kill one another.
    They are naturally altruistic beings, and will stand watch over their families whilst other clanmembers forage or work. Adventurer surikats will often 'adopt' the party as their new small family. Occasionally this leads to disputes if a hierarchy is not clear.
    Physical Description: Surikats stand around three to three and a half feet tall, and weigh between forty and fifty pounds. They have long slender bodies and limbs, with long thin tails which taper to black or reddish tips, adding up to two and a half feet of extra length, which they use for balance. They always have black patches around their eyes, small black crescent-shaped ears and tapering faces which come to a point at their noses, which are often brown. At the end of each of their fingers are small claws which they use for burrowing and climbing. Their coats is usually fawn-colored peppered with gray, tan, or brown with a silver tint. They have short parallel stripes across their backs, extending from the base of the tail to the shoulders.
    Alignment: Surikats have strong, clannish tendencies and thus tend towards law as a race. Adventurers are often those who have left their families, however, and are often neutral.
    Relations: Surikats are suspicious of larger races, but get on well with gnomes and halflings.
    Surikat lands: Surikats are usually desert-dwellers. They live underground in comfortable burrows but spend most of their time up in the open air. Surikats who settle in foreign lands tend to group together in certain areas, and are most comfortable living in very high-density accomodations.
    Relgion: Surikats revere Obad-Hai and Pelor, though some also worship Yondalla, goddess of Halflings. The surikats have a strong druidic tradition, and many worship nature spirits rather than actual deities.
    Language: Surikats speak their own unique language, Surikati, which has no written form but is transcribable with the Common script. Their lack of writing means they have a strong oral tradition, and they take delight in stories and poems.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom
    Small size: Surikats are small creatures, and as such gain +1 to Armor Class, +1 to attack rolls and +4 bonus on Hide checks, but use smaller weapons than humans and have lifting and carrying limits to three-quarters the amount of a Medium character.
    Speed: A surikat's base land speed is 20 feet. Surikat claws are excellent for tunneling and thus they may also burrow at a base speed of 10 feet.
    Low-Light Vision: A Surikat can see twice as far under moonlight, torchlight, starlight and similar situations of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail in these conditions.
    Keen Senses: Surikats receive a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot & Listen checks.
    Claws: Surikats recieve a +2 to climb checks and can cause lethal damage with unarmed strikes. Unarmed strikes causing lethal damage do not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Poison Resistant: Surikats recieve a +2 racial bonus to saving throws vs poison.
    Automatic Languages: Surikati, Common. Bonus Languages: Halfling, Gnome, Terran, Sylvan.
    Spell-like abilities: 3/day Know Direction.
    Favored Class: Ranger or BARBARIAN! They have a vicious streak, y'know.
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-06 at 11:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] New Core Race: Surikats

Hm, probably a bit on the weak side of LA +0. Like half-elves.
    But on the other hand, just look at the picture! They are perfect to go.
    Last edited by Yora; 2009-06-05 at 11:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Have to agree with Yora there, they look underpowered (but the PICTURE).

Burrow Speed? Darkvision? They could use a little more.

...burrowing barbarian meerkats...
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I would increase the weight a bit, as it stands I think they are on the high side of Tiny, rather than the low side of Small.

Specify that they don't provoke AoOs with their unarmed attacks. If they are doing lethal damage they shouldn't provoke, but you also don't want them getting Deflect arrows too easily.

There is no such skill as Awareness in 3.5 (that I am aware of... pun intended).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hahaha! I love the concept but I don't have much to add.

You might give them a bonus bite attack or something.
    Try my own recipie for web comic fantasy, humor and adventure in my comic .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Instead of giving them Darkvision, how about you give them Blindsight with a range of five feet?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

But why?

Every ability should fit into the creatures design, and I don't see why they should be able to see with other senses than eyes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    But why?

Every ability should fit into the creatures design, and I don't see why they should be able to see with other senses than eyes.
    They live in underground burrows.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

If they live in underground burrows, then Darkvision makes sense, because it lets them see in the dark of underground burrows. Blindsense, I think, would only make sense if they were literally blind, or lived somewhere, where their eyes wouldn't work anyway.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Real world meerkats can get along fine in their burrows without thermographic vision or whatever... and these can use torches just fine... gnomes live just as much underground as these do, if not more, and they don't have blindsight or darkvision...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Real world meerkats can get along fine in their burrows without thermographic vision or whatever... and these can use torches just fine... gnomes live just as much underground as these do, if not more, and they don't have blindsight or darkvision...
    I gave them low-light vision over darkvision because they're mainly active at twilight.

Any suggestions on the specifics of a burrowing ability? I'm not really sure what to do with it, though I like the suggestion and I'd like to incorporate it.

Made alterations regarding the unarmed damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

3.5 supports burrowing as a movement mode. Give 'em a 10 foot burrow speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Now all we need is a warthog race.......

14. - Top - End - #14

Added burrowing and +2 to search checks.

Is giving the Alertness feat free at second level too much?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Races aren't classes. They should not get new things as they level up. At most, old things should get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Races aren't classes. They should not get new things as they level up. At most, old things should get better.
    That's a no then... what if it was at first level, like human bonus feats?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    Added burrowing and +2 to search checks.

Is giving the Alertness feat free at second level too much?
    I would ditch it. You already have an ability that gives +2 to listen and spot. Adding alertness is sort of redundant. If you want them to have better senses, increasing the bonuses to listen, spot and possibly search is what you should do.
    My current games:
    Its Over 9000: OOC, IC, Ashe

Lords of Creation: dueling pantheons
    OOC, IC

18. - Top - End - #18

Alertness is out. Any other improvements to make this race equal in power with other 0-LA races?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

-2 Con nerfs it quite a bit. Maybe make it -2 Int instead or add on a +2 something else/-2 Int?
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    -2 Con nerfs it quite a bit. Maybe make it -2 Int instead or add on a +2 something else/-2 Int?
    They've got -2 constituion for real-world biological reasons. They have literally zero body fat, so aren't well-built for long term endurance and have to eat every day.

Anyway, meerkats aren't stupid.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    They've got -2 constituion for real-world biological reasons. They have literally zero body fat, so aren't well-built for long term endurance and have to eat every day.

Anyway, meerkats aren't stupid.
    Well they do have favored class barbarian... The only other race I know of with that is the half-orc, and they're not known for their wizardry.

Otherwise you might give them Scent and/or raise their base land speed to 30 (they seem pretty fast).
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd stick with -2 strength, ior at least add that onto the -2 con. Can't get much leverage with those puny arms. The DM has spoken.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Core"? I do not think that you understand what that word means. (Nor does WotC these days. At least, they pretend not to.)

Why not just make their claws natural weapons?

Are they hated enemies of the gnomes, whose spell-like ability they stole?
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

MInor nitpick, not any actual advice. You forgot to bold speed.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Their description says that they are Lawful and nonviolent, but their favored class is barbarian!!! Clearly you need to A) Replace scout with Fighter, B) Change their alignment. Also, they wouldn't make very good barbarians because of -2 Con. maybe -2 Wis or Cha?
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by arb514 View Post
    Their description says that they are Lawful and nonviolent, but their favored class is barbarian!!! Clearly you need to A) Replace scout with Fighter, B) Change their alignment. Also, they wouldn't make very good barbarians because of -2 Con. maybe -2 Wis or Cha?
    Actually, the favored class thing is somewhat of a running joke.

MInor nitpick, not any actual advice. You forgot to bold speed.
    Corrected.

"Core"? I do not think that you understand what that word means. (Nor does WotC these days. At least, they pretend not to.)

Why not just make their claws natural weapons?

Are they hated enemies of the gnomes, whose spell-like ability they stole?
    1. Obviously not. Now that I bother to think about it, I can see what you mean.

2. Because I don't know how that business works. This was but together with only the PHB as a reference.

3. Couldn't think of anything else to do to make them a bit more powerful. I#ll get rid of it now though, since it doesn't make a huge amount of sense.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] New Race: Surikats

A strange idea just popped into my head: A D&D Sourcebook called races of randomnesss... featuring surikats, voodo dolls and much much more...
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Physical Description: Surikats stand around three to three and a half feet tall, and weigh around twenty-five pounds.

25 pounds? a human could lift one up by the scruff of his neck and toss it! i'd say 75-90, if muscled
    Last edited by Draxonicar; 2009-06-06 at 09:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Draxonicar View Post

Physical Description: Surikats stand around three to three and a half feet tall, and weigh around twenty-five pounds.

25 pounds? a human could lift one up by the scruff of his neck and toss it! i'd say 75-90, if muscled
    They're meerkats. They're not muscled, they're very lean. Also, they're very skinny - this is why they're given as lighter than halflings. 75-90 pounds is far, far too many.

EDIT:

The meerkat is a small diurnal herpestid (mongoose) weighing on average about 731 grams (1.61 pounds) for males and 720 grams (1.58 pounds) for females. Its long slender body and limbs give it a body length of 25 to 35 cm (10 to 14 inches) and an added tail length of 17 to 25 cm (7 to 10 inches).
    On average, a male meerkat has 1.61 lbs of weight and is a foot long body plus another 7 and a half inches of tail. Scaling that up to the given size, that would make them weight around six lbs. I think bumping them up to twenty-five is fair enough...
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-06 at 09:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

These guys are 3 to 3.5 feet tall, compared to 1 foot for a rl meerkat.

weight would be proportional to length cubed if scaled up.

3.25^3 x 1.61 lb = 55.25 lb