New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: My first Torny

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default My first Torny

So, basically, I have my first 3.5 d&d torny coming up in a few weeks. However, Ive never really done anything like this before, so Id like to ask some advise.

Restrictions are that no books are allowed bar PHB, DMG and Expanded psionics handbook. No spell compendium, No completes, No monster manual, No nothing really...

Using these 3 books, we have to build 2 level 6 characters using a 28 point buy and standard WBL.

My plan at the moment is to role a Druid and a Mounted psionic warrior. However, while that isnt set in stone, I have no idea how to optimise using such a small selection of books, and for that matter how to optimise using other books...

Anyhow, I have therefore come to you dear playground for advise on how to destroy all those before me.

Thanks in advance
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: My first Torny

Druid takes Natural Spell, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, and Improved Natural Attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Restrictions are that no books are allowed bar PHB, DMG and Expanded psionics handbook. No spell compendium, No completes, No monster manual, No nothing really...
    [...]
    My plan at the moment is to role a Druid and a Mounted psionic warrior.
    Well, if no MM is allowed, your druid is gonna suck hardcore (no Wild Shape forms, no Animal Companion, no SNA critters), and good luck finding a mount.

I don't know particular builds, but I might go with a Cleric and a Wizard. Both can buff, both can debuff, and both can bring the pain when they need to.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, didnt make it clear. Its no MM for player races or exotic mounts and such. I can wildshape as normal, but can only buy things listed in phb and dmg.

5. - Top - End - #5

If it were 9th level, you would be able to Wild Shape into something a medium PsiWar can use as a mount. But you can't, so have a Gnome/Halfling PsiWar, and Wild Shape into a medium animal that kicks ass (tiger, Riding Dog, etc). Have him optimized to do mounted combat, while you control everything else with spells and such.

Your animal companion should be the biggest thing you can find, then have it use Bull Rushes against the enemy to allow you and your PsiWar friend to charge again. Give him a small lance, then go rape the encounters.

His powers should be geared around protecting you and himself.

6. - Top - End - #6

Not many good feats for Druids in PHB.

Go Monk1/DruidX. Gets you decent AC in wildshape.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd suggest going Druid 8. Take natural spell, Spell focus(conjuration) and Augment summoning. And max out CON and WIS.

That one level of monk gives you nice saves and a nice AC boost, but Druid 8 gives you the ability to wildshape into large animals. I suggest Brown bear.

After that get yourself a brown bear animal companion, give it armor proficiency and armor it up, so it doesn't die right away. Summon 1d3 additional brown bears at the start of a fight and cast animal growth in the next round. You don't need a second character.
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, didnt make it clear. Its no MM for player races or exotic mounts and such. I can wildshape as normal, but can only buy things listed in phb and dmg.
    Heh, I suspected so. In that case, you could probably go Cleric 6 for one (for buffing and defending and maybe some healing), and the Druid 6 for damage. Wildshape into something awesome, and, as long as you have Natural Spell, use both your own weapons AND those of your animal companion AND those of your summoned animals.

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    I'd suggest going Druid 8. Take natural spell, Spell focus(conjuration) and Augment summoning. And max out CON and WIS.
    Er, it's a Level 6 tournament.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-06-06 at 01:42 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Er, it's a Level 6 tournament.
    Oh, my bad, then a few changes are in order

Take that level of monk, it'll come handy, and I don't see any downside to it. Now you'll probably want to wildshape into a brown bear and have a brown bear animal companion. Your tactics also change to Summon nature's ally III -> charge. Inside core I don't think there's a class that could match a Druid in a tournament fight.

As for the other class you could try a tripper fighter, or any other melee oriented class really. Maybe take a level of cleric with the strength domain so you can buff yourself with enlarge person. Keep meleers from reaching you and casters from escaping you!
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I was just thinking, a while back on the WotC boards someone tried to do a 1st-level tournament, and whoever won (don't remember the class) only did so because they blew all their 1st-level wealth on a giant pack of riding dogs. Imagine what you could do at 6th level! Buy enough mundane gear to get around, and then spend the rest on allies, which you'd then bolster with spells and summoning reinforcements.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'm trying to remember the specifics, but there's one attack power in XPH which gives a 1d6 per point spent, while every other power is a 1d6 per 2 points spent. It was errata'd in Complete Psionic to 1d6 per 2 points spent, and I think also they might have published a regular errata as well.
    But ff there's no errata, and anything in Complete psionic doesn't exist as far as you're concerned, that particular psion power would be great for damage dealing. ( I know, blasting is considered subpar on these boards, but it's not in other places)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    You know, I was just thinking, a while back on the WotC boards someone tried to do a 1st-level tournament, and whoever won (don't remember the class) only did so because they blew all their 1st-level wealth on a giant pack of riding dogs. Imagine what you could do at 6th level! Buy enough mundane gear to get around, and then spend the rest on allies, which you'd then bolster with spells and summoning reinforcements.
    26000/50 = 520

520 riding dogs would be fun...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It would not work quite as well due to the presence of AoE damage dealing spells...which is funny because if your opponent creates a batman wizard, he probably wont have any

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

26000/50 = 520

520 riding dogs would be fun...
    Why do you have 26,000 GP at that level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

At this point you would only have, what, 13,000gp or so? You don't add up each level of wealth. After basic items you'll have significantly less. Also a entire herd of riding dogs would do about jack squat at this level. However, the tactic of overwhelming the foe with numbers is a decent idea. Summon Monster/Nature's Ally and focus on buff type spells could be one way to take down a character, especially if you use summons to grapple, pin, etc. No matter what level you may reach, you are still in danger of 10,000 orcs due to DOGPILE!!! tactics...
    (unless, of course, you're a wizard, where you just do any of the random anti-everything spells and go: oops! I win)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Because Id have 2 level 6 characters, each with standard WBL.

13000+13000 = 26000

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

YES. Buy riding dogs. Play 2 druids. Use all summon monster spells to summon monsters from the level 1 list. Batman wont know what hit him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Can your riding dogs FLY? Or stack themselves to attain cruising altitude in a single terrible mass of howling yelping flesh?

I rule that you may use the swarm rules for the riding dogs, due to a spontaneous hivemind. I also rule that they consume you and gain your powers.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tactical War Pigeon maneuver. Buy as many war pigeons (I think they cost something like 1 SP) as your WBL will allow. They each deal one damage and have an attack penalty (I think). They'll pretty much only hit on a crit, however, with 260,000 pigeons, that's a lot of hits that each deal 2 damage.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Can your riding dogs FLY? Or stack themselves to attain cruising altitude in a single terrible mass of howling yelping flesh?

I rule that you may use the swarm rules for the riding dogs, due to a spontaneous hivemind. I also rule that they consume you and gain your powers.
    *looks*
    *head over to homebrew forum*