New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Is my character overpowered?

I have written up a druid 11/MoMF 10. He's decent, and I've won almost every in-group PvP game I was in. But that is because I only faced one spell-caster, and all of our games ended with one of us using too much cheese and agreeing to start over, a very suboptimal primary fighter, and an Angel of Death. With me assuming high Con forms.

But now, one person is claiming I'm overpowered. So, am I?

Char Sheet:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=128319

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Is my character overpowered?

Are you using Pun-Pun?

If not, you're probably ok.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

You're a druid. Default answer is yes.

But overpowered is relative. It depends on the optimisation levels of the opponents and everyone else. Ultimately the question isn't whether you're overpowered, it's whether your character's disrupting the game or not. If it's not causing any problems, you're ok.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

You have a druid that has been made with some basic efficiency concerning build options?

Yeah those types generally are. Druid is OP without even trying.

Double ninja'd! dammit.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2009-06-06 at 02:59 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

5. - Top - End - #5

DRUID is OP. DRUID. I'm more of a shapeshifter then a druid. Only spellcasting as a level 11 druid, so the best I can summon is an elephant. And I can just barely cast CCW.

Oh, and I don't get an animal familiar.

Still OP?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

We can't really know if you're overpowered without a good look at the rest of your party. Power is relative to that against which you are going to be tested. If you are playing against a well thought out Batman Wizard, then you're fine. If you're going against a crappy Evoker, then you're OP, or he's OP. To paraphrase Einstein, it's all relative, bro.
    Something has to go; me, or this wallpaper
    --Oscar Wilde's alleged last words

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    Still OP?
    The only thing I really see that could be considered cheesy or overpowered is that you have wilding clasps on freakin' everything. I mean, I don't blame you, but that could be part of the problem - you're not losing ANYTHING by wild-shaping.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DRUID is OP. DRUID. I'm more of a shapeshifter then a druid. Only spellcasting as a level 11 druid, so the best I can summon is an elephant. And I can just barely cast CCW.

Oh, and I don't get an animal familiar.

Still OP?
    Wildshape is still pretty powerful. You get to dump half (or even ALL) your stats and still be awesome, you have unrivalled versatility in the forms you manifest in, and *peeks* you have Assume Supernatural Ability.

Though your stats are all wacky, your physical stats get replaced in Wildshape. Why are they so high? Edit: Magic items with Wilding Clasps! Clever.

Anyway, I don't think you're overpowered, but your party is underpowered compared to you. Help them help themselves, I can't stand Fighters going to waste. :P
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2009-06-06 at 04:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Compared to casters, no, you're not overpowered. Compared to melee, yes, obviously. Although well-built martialist CAN challenge a shapeshifter on a rather even ground. But the game is epic; everything without Epic Spellcasting might as well not exist if talking strictly power.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-06 at 04:11 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

It depends entirely on what forms you assume. If you're using War Troll, Rage Drake, Chronotyryn, Ironmaw, Living Holocaust, Pthisic, Tundra Landwyrm, and the biggest/highest HD dragons you can pick, then you're probably going to be overpowered. If you're just sticking to the core Monster Manual and not getting many decent abilities from your forms, then you're probably not going to be overpowered. Abilities like Fast Healing and Regeneration make it easy to look overpowered. Overlapping Wild Shapes, i.e. turn into a creature and use its special ability, turn into another creature and attack for a few rounds, dismiss the second form to revert back to the first again without spending another wild shape to use its special ability again, etc. is a strong tactic as well.

I'm not seeing any Bite of the Weretiger, Extended Greater Creeping Cold, Call Avalanche, or even Fire Seeds. I wouldn't even consider your current spellcasting as a factor in determining whether your character is overpowered.

Against another Big 4 character, i.e. a properly prepared Wizard or Archivist or a properly buffed Cleric, I doubt this character would stand a chance. In a party with Tier 3 and lower characters, those characters may feel a bit underpowered, especially if melee combat is supposed to be their niche. Most melee-focused classes are severely limited in what they can do outside of combat, and will often feel powerless in those situations. Playing a character that's better at melee combat than a melee class, who also shines outside of combat, will look to those players like he's overpowered. In the epic levels, those classes are extremely weak anyway, so it's no surprise that they would think you're overpowered just because you're playing a viable character and they're not. Other Tier 1-3 characters, if properly played, would not accuse you of playing an overpowered character, but judging from what I've seen I doubt anyone in your group would be able to properly play an epic level spellcaster.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: You've made a viable epic level character and seem to be playing him well. Other players in your group either didn't make viable epic level characters, or they made a viable character but they're not playing it to its full potential. If the rest of your group made viable characters and is playing them well, then you wouldn't be accused of being overpowered. It is because of their failing, not yours, that this is happening. You don't need to change anything, they just need to learn to play better. Maybe they aren't even ready for epic level play in the first place.

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGuy

Having no experience with epic play I can't understand the percieved power of wizards as being that much more than pre epic casters. These spells all have insane dc's to beat often 150 or more. With the cost of researching the seed(s) and spell in gold and xp for each jump in power you seek that's a good way of making yourself poor and inexperienced quickly. And on top of that these spells also tend to have the component of having other spells thrown in to cast. And then there is spending feats to gain spell levels which should be a class feature. Am I misunderstanding this?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Having no experience with epic play I can't understand the percieved power of wizards as being that much more than pre epic casters. These spells all have insane dc's to beat often 150 or more. With the cost of researching the seed(s) and spell in gold and xp for each jump in power you seek that's a good way of making yourself poor and inexperienced quickly. And on top of that these spells also tend to have the component of having other spells thrown in to cast. And then there is spending feats to gain spell levels which should be a class feature. Am I misunderstanding this?
    Mitigate spell DCs down to 0 via rituals, which you cast with the aid of creatures Called via other, less powerful permanent Epic spells. Given time, which is easily acquired in literally endless amounts by Plane Shifting to a timeless plane or your own personal Genesis-wrought demiplane (which can have 1000:1 or more time passage), you can mitigate arbitrarily-high spell DCs to 0 at level 21. 0 DC means 0 gp, 0 xp, and 0 time to develop, so you're just dealing with hundred-day-long cast times (which aren't important due to fast time) or your and your minions' available spell slots (which recover every day, meaning they aren't important due to fast time).

The "other spells thrown in to cast" are those contributed by Couatls, Solars, or custom-made spellcasting minions. The "feats to gain spell levels" are epic-level feats that give you higher--than-10th-level spell slots in which to put metamagiced spells, and isn't actually needed for utter game-breaking epic play.

Essentially, a level 21 spellcaster of any sort has theoretically limitless power within seconds after attaining that 21st level.

13. - Top - End - #13

Hey, why are vanilla druids considered Overpowered in the first place?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, why are vanilla druids considered Overpowered in the first place?
    Full-casting from a decent list, Wildshape that, on it's own, makes you better than people who specialize in melee, and a pet who is appx equal to a Warrior of your level before you boost it with your spells. 3 things, any one of which would be a tier 2-4 class, combine to make it tier one, and far easier to optimize than a Cleric or Artificer. Dzilla, indeed.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGuy

Not that I know much about them. It's mostly about the wildshape, which druids can live in for the most part. They can use this power to become whatever they need in any situation. Due to the way that wildshaping works the druid keeps his own mental stats and takes the physical stats of the creature he's shaped into. What's more is with wilding clasps they can use the beneficial magic items that are normally inert when shifted. There is also the benefit of being able to cast in any form with natural spell which means there is no statistical downside to being in wild shape. This also lets them dump many of their stats without sucking.

darn ninja'd
    Last edited by elonin; 2009-06-06 at 05:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Well, depends on what you consider overpowered.

If your party consists of a non-optimized Fighter, Monk and Healer then you're probably overpowered.

If your party has a CoD-zilla, Artificer and a Wizard(all well played) then no, not really.

Assume Supernatural Ability is a bit on the cheesy side, yes, but by that level(as a full druid) you'd have Shapechange already, which is vastly superior.

I don't see anything overpowered about your character at all. It's a well-built, reasonable character that's good at what he does while not outshining everyone else - in a moderately optimized party at least.
    Last edited by grautry; 2009-06-06 at 05:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

An epic character who does not have access to epic spellcasting? Not overpowered.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    An epic character who does not have access to epic spellcasting? Not overpowered.
    I agree. Shapeshifting in general is seen by all as overpowered due to its high amount of versatility, but in epic D+D everything that's not "overpowered" is in for some trouble once they meet some epic monsters. It might seem overpowered when you do 1 vs. 1, but will your group say the same versus a herd of tarrasques being riden by solars? probably not.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You've given up Ninth level spells (including Shapechange which blows your wildshaping out of the water) for a subpar build, still strong but not anything special. Fun though.

No, nowhere near overpowered compared to any full caster 17.

Just leave Assume Supernatural Ability out and you've got nothing to feel guilty about.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

suboptimal primary fighter, and an Angel of Death
    Compared to that? Hells ya. (well, don't know what the AoD is, but if it is near the fighter in power...)

MoMF is subpar as far as druds go. Wild clasps on everything is kinda silly, but basically required in epic druid play. You are what I would rate a 3rd tier (out of the 5) build for a druid. Intentionally nerfed down to party level of play.

*edit* One qualifier: You aren't going full out cheese with your form choices. Not that it isn't easier to do with shapechange, as was previously mentioned.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-06-07 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

You're an epic druid, without epic spellcasting, without planar shepherd levels.
    No, you're not overpowered.

22. - Top - End - #22

The Angel od Death (my character he was talking about) is actually quite powerful, having Death Attacks, full BAB, full sneak attack and maneuvers. We had a few duels, he used slightly cheesy forms (Spellweaver, prismatic dragon, Hive Mother with focused antimagic) and I still got a few solid hits in, so I wouldn't say it's really too powerful.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Hard to tell in a vacuum. For an honest and accurate answer, the sheets of the rest of the group would bee needed.

Going against the average power level of my group and parties -I've- been in:
    About average, maybe just above. Definitely not overpowered in one of our high level games. I mean, Druids are plenty powerful, but 9th level spells/Epic Spellcasting blows Wildshape out of the water. Way better than any pure Melee character not out of ToB:BoNS.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can't really say without seeing the char sheets of the rest of your party. On another note, where did you get the program to make that sheet?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Systems I'm familiar with (or at least played):
    Spoiler
    Show
    3.5, Pathfinder, Old World of Darkness, Silver Age Sentinels or Tri-Stat, Shadowrun 4th, All Flesh, 40k

My sister: What's in the cave?
    DM: There's cave.
    Me: How big is the cave?
    Dm: There's lots of cave inside this cave.

My Naruto Pathfinder Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by kyuubigan View Post
    I can't really say without seeing the char sheets of the rest of your party. On another note, where did you get the program to make that sheet?
    Myth Weavers (myth-weavers.com) and The Tangled Web (thetangledweb.net) both offer character sheet blanks you can save on-site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Last edited by GoC; 2009-06-07 at 06:16 PM.