New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Monk question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Monk question

I was watching a show and monks could use these things called the twin hooks http://www.karatedepot.com/sites/kar...e/wp-sw-90.jpg

and under the list that i have at wizard.com(3.5 version) it doesnt say they can use swords, and i was wondering if there are some exceptions or is it just a DM ruleing or something.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Monk question

Monks in 3.x generally aren't proficient with swords and such. However, there's a feat in some sourcebook that lets a Monk wield a longsword as if it were a monk weapon. Also, for the hook swords you mention, they're probably Exotic Weapons that a Monk could take a feat to become proficient with.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I would cald this things one handed martial weapon - only 1d6/ x2, but with bonuses both to disarming enemy and avoiding being disarmed. And with trip attacks.

And it's still sword-like, so not for D&D monks.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4

Hook swords are in Secrets of Sarlona. Exotic weapons, you can hook them together and use them are reach weapons.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Monks in 3.x generally aren't proficient with swords and such. However, there's a feat in some sourcebook that lets a Monk wield a longsword as if it were a monk weapon. Also, for the hook swords you mention, they're probably Exotic Weapons that a Monk could take a feat to become proficient with.
    That would be from the Eberron Campaign Setting. It has several feats that allow monks to use certain martial weapons as monk weapons.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay