Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default A housecat can kill a commoner

So can a regular old spider!

Taking a tiny monsterous spider and shrinking it down to fine sized, it would have something like:

1 hp,
    AC 21
    Bite 1 damage + fort save DC 6 or so for 1 str damage.
    Attack bonus is +11

So assuming an average commoner with 10s in all stats, the fine sized spider hits 95% of the time, and the commoner hits 5% of the time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A housecat can kill a commoner

Unless the commoner has something like a flyswatter, shoe, or rolled up newspaper. Those are all +8 defending items of vermin bane.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Well, kind of. Fine-sized enemies are typically supposed to follow the rules for Swarms, I think.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The commoner also deals nonlethal damage. Unless you give him a rake or a stick.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    The commoner also deals nonlethal damage. Unless you give him a rake or a stick.
    Those are improvised weapons though, so he'd take a -4 to attack and still do nonlethal.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amesoeurs View Post
    Those are improvised weapons though, so he'd take a -4 to attack and still do nonlethal.
    Aww, cut him some slack. Consider the stick a club or the rake a quarterstaff and let him do lethal damage.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love you all and vicodin
    Something has to go; me, or this wallpaper
    --Oscar Wilde's alleged last words

8. - Top - End - #8

Monsters of Faerun had a fine spider.

AC was only 20, 1 hp, attacked at +3 for 1

I don't know where you got +11. It would have size bonuses, but also huge strength penalties.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2009-06-07 at 11:49 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Couldn't a house cat with magic fang incapacitate a dragon with a single claw hit if it got a natural 20 and the dragon has 0 hp?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    The commoner also deals nonlethal damage. Unless you give him a rake
    I didn't think commoners could take feats?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The thing is, a venomous enough spider actually can kill a human. It happens.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    I didn't think commoners could take feats?
    They get feats normally at 1st, 3rd, 6th, etc and if they're humans second at 1st.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Shrinking a "monstrous spider" is not the same thing as statting out a common household spider. For one thing, most household spiders do not have a poison that significantly affects humans. If you're talking a black widow or something then the Fine sized monstrous spider stats sounds fair.

And as for the cat, that is true. But since cats are not normally inclined to attack humans, and the human can outrun the cat if it does decide to attack, it is not a problem.

I mean realistically if my housecat was brainwashed into attacking me it could kill me, too. It could rip out my throat - if I laid there and let it chew on me over and over. But I wouldn't do that, and neither would D&D commoners; and my housecat doesn't attack humans (except playfully) and neither should D&D cats.

I always have to laugh at threads that make fun of how weak commoners are. Give 'em their one simple weapon and some leather armour (they aren't proficient, but it has no ACP so there is no penalty to them using it) and they do alright for themselves. With 28 point build and an intelligent Feat choice they can outlive many 1st level wizards.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-06-08 at 12:04 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    they do alright for themselves. With 28 point build and an intelligent Feat choice they can outlive many 1st level wizards.
    How? They both have d4 hit die, and the wizard at least has mage armor.

Shrinking a "monstrous spider" is not the same thing as statting out a common household spider. For one thing, most household spiders do not have a poison that significantly affects humans. If you're talking a black widow or something then the Fine sized monstrous spider stats sounds fair.
    Fine, take out the poison entirely. Spider still wins, because the average commoner cannot hit the average fine sized thing more than 10% of the time. (And the spider dex bonus reduces that to 5%)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

And as for the cat, that is true. But since cats are not normally inclined to attack humans, and the human can outrun the cat if it does decide to attack, it is not a problem.

I mean realistically if my housecat was brainwashed into attacking me it could kill me, too. It could rip out my throat - if I laid there and let it chew on me over and over. But I wouldn't do that, and neither would D&D commoners; and my housecat doesn't attack humans (except playfully) and neither should D&D cats.
    Actually, 1st level commoners have a much better chance than most people think. After all, you wouldn't try to hit a cat, would you? You'd pick it up and bash it against a wall. Do that, and after 3 hours of reading the grapple rules, the commoner is much more likely to win. Not certain, but there actually are housecat attacks that require ER visits, so it works out.
    I always have to laugh at threads that make fun of how weak commoners are. Give 'em their one simple weapon and some leather armour (they aren't proficient, but it has no ACP so there is no penalty to them using it) and they do alright for themselves. With 28 point build and an intelligent Feat choice they can outlive many 1st level wizards.

ap
    But Wizards get that and spells, so why would the Commoner live longer?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

The point is that Fine sized creatures are not supposed to have regular attacks, for exactly the reason you've just demonstrated.

Look at the Monster Manual I and you'll see that the smallest creatures that have ordinary attack rolls are Tiny. Diminutive creatures like bats have no bite attack, and as far as I know there aren't any Fine creatures statted out in the book. Otherwise they'd have to come up with an exception to the 'every attack does at least 1 damage' rule. If they'd statted out a Fine spider in the books, it would have "Attack: None"

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is your cat declawed? I don't think you understand just how scary those things can be, if your cat was brainwashed and dead-set on killing you (no pun intended). Especially if you were caught off guard. If the cat has a basic picture of human anatomy, it knows where the fleshy places are and what you use to move away from it...

The bite? Maybe it won't kill you, but cats can typically jump several feet, and are smart enough to climb. It could do some damage with a whole-hearted bite to the throat.

This is all assuming common housecats aren't, say, Garfield, though.
    Last edited by KBF; 2009-06-08 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

the human can outrun the cat if it does decide to attack
    I don't know about you, but I don't think I could outrun my cat if he was seriously chasing me. Maybe I could now that he's past his prime, but I definitely couldn't when he was younger.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I doubt my cat could kill me, but he does some serious (arguably non-lethal) damage to me if he falls asleep on my feet and I disturb him.

Well, actually, my cat is many years dead, so I suppose it would get some kind of bonus for being undead...
    It stands for 'At the Convenience of the Experimenter'.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

in mtg a squirrel (1/1) is stronger than a commoner (0/1) as referenced by sengir autocrat serf tokens.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

clearly it was a typo and they meant to call the card "Squirrel Girl" instead.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    clearly it was a typo and they meant to call the card "Squirrel Girl" instead.
    Only if it routinely defeats 7/6 cards.... when nobody's looking.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Amesoeurs View Post
    They get feats normally at 1st, 3rd, 6th, etc and if they're humans second at 1st.
    See then the cat should win because it already has four feets by the time a commoner has 1st level.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    How? They both have d4 hit die, and the wizard at least has mage armor.
    By not adventuring and choosing feats such as Skill Focus: Profession (Town Drunk), I assume.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Is your cat declawed? I don't think you understand just how scary those things can be, if your cat was brainwashed and dead-set on killing you (no pun intended). Especially if you were caught off guard. If the cat has a basic picture of human anatomy, it knows where the fleshy places are and what you use to move away from it...

The bite? Maybe it won't kill you, but cats can typically jump several feet, and are smart enough to climb. It could do some damage with a whole-hearted bite to the throat.

This is all assuming common housecats aren't, say, Garfield, though.
    Excepting the cat actually severing my throat (and the only way it would be able to do that was if I was asleep and even then it is just as likly the wound would be nonfatal, like a bad turn with the razor) a cat would do no more then superficial wounds until basically I tire of it attempting to maul me and I backhand it into the wall. <Hypothetical animal abuse disclaimer>

It is the point of the dreaded dire housecat. The absurdity that it can be a real threat to a human in DnD.

Edit: And no, none of my parents cats, including one cat who walked into town and beat up almost a dozen cats for the heck of it, have been declawed (they live on a farm, outdoors cats). I do play rough with some of them now and then, enough for them to do that backpaw multislashing thing they do on prey and bites. Sometimes they manage to break skin. sometimes not.

And if one gets attacked by a Garfield cat, it wont bother with claws. Just swollowed :D
    Last edited by Khanderas; 2009-06-08 at 03:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    in mtg a squirrel (1/1) is stronger than a commoner (0/1) as referenced by sengir autocrat serf tokens.
    That is because squirrels are awesome incarnate. >.>

BOW TO SQUIRREL, MWUAAHAHAHAAAAA...

<. .> Please don't hurt me.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

An average cat can run much faster than the fastest human, so running would not have been an option

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

By the same token, almost all hospitalization reports of domesticated or feral house cats, were elderly people, in their 60's and beyond. (at least, of reports that I've located)

In 3.x, that would equate to a -3 Str, Dex, and Con.

A standard housecat should not be able to effectively be a serious threat to a commoner, even an unarmed one.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    By not adventuring and choosing feats such as Skill Focus: Profession (Town Drunk), I assume.
    I'm tempted to actually do that at some point... But with an actual PC class.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    In fact, one particular squirrel is more powerful than several characters in Magic, including trained warriors. Though those two are admittedly weak.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC