New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4e] Second Wind Spam Super Dwarf! A build idea.

So, I originally conceived this as sort of a silly character build, but when I banged it out with the character generator it was actually pretty good, so I wanted to share.

The idea was to make a Dwarf character who got the maximum mileage out of their second wind. I originally thought of making it a fighter, but I decided to that the bonus AC to second wind from Warden was better than the 2 rather bland heroic tier second-wind related fighter feats. The multi-class to Warlord was to gain access to the Earthfast Brigadier PP, which fits the flavor and mechanics quite well. The result is a defender who would almost never need to be healed by the party leaders, because his second wind would be frequent and potent, and his other powers keep him healed quite nicely as well.

Unfortunately this build doesn't really hit it's stride til late Paragon/early epic tier, but if I ever get to play in a game at those levels I think I'd use this. Feel free to point out anything I missed that would help the build.

Here's a basic breakdown of the build at level 26:

Dwarf Warden (Warlord MC) / Earthfast Brigadier / Chosen of Moradin

Ability Scores (level 1)
    Str 16
    Con 16 (18)
    Dex 10
    Int 13
    Wis 11 (13)
    Cha 8

Ability Scores (level 26)
    Str 24
    Con 26
    Dex 12
    Int 16
    Wis 16
    Cha 10

Feats (not necessarily the order you would take them in. "*" indicates a feat that improves 2nd Wind).
    Student of Battle
    Crushing Earthstrength*
    Dwarven Weapon Training
    Weapon Expertise (Axe)
    Shield the Fallen
    Timely Respite*
    [P] Dwarven Durability*
    [P] Defensive Surge*
    [P] Armor Specialization (Hide)
    [P] Paragon Defenses (Retrain to Robust Defenses at Epic)
    [P] Improved Second Wind*
    [P] Phalanx Warrior
    [E] Stoneheart Warrior*
    [E] Epic Recovery*
    [P] Earthstrength Resolve
    [E] Primal Resurgence

I won't post all the powers, but anyways, he's an Earthstrength Warden, so I mainly went with stone and mountain themed powers, lots of knockdowns and immobilizing. Utilities are all generally focused around defenses and self healing.

Items of note:
    Backbone Belt (+4 to defenses from 2nd wind)*
    Cloak of the Walking Wounded (two surges on 2nd wind when bloodied)*
    Armor of Durability (extra HP from surge)*
    Other defender-y items to taste. I picked a Shield of Warding, Stout Waraxe,
    Earthreaver Stompers, Far Hand Gloves (reach is good), Rings of Invigoration and Adaptation, and a Casque of Tactics (pretty sure I was able to afford it all, but the three items above are the most important).

Defenses (Normal)
    AC 43
    Fort 39
    Ref 34
    Will 33

HP 218

Defenses (2nd Wind)
    AC 55
    Fort 43
    Ref 38
    Will 37

Other 2nd Wind effects
    72 HP regained
    Saving throw
    Adjacent Ally gains +4 to all defenses

When Bloodied
    180 HP regained (two surges and Earthfast Recovery)

Basically, the character could naturally second wind twice per encounter as a free action by level 22. The daily attack powers of both Earthfast Brigadier and Chosen of Moradin allow the recovery of 2nd wind, for both yourself and allies. When the character second winds, they gain +12 to AC and +4 to all NADs, and grant +4 to all defenses to an adjacent ally (or +2, depending on the ruling of how Defensive Surge interacts with the Backbone Belt).

The other feats in the build capture what I think the essence of being a Dwarven defender are all about, shielding your allies and punishing your enemies. Tactics are pretty standard Warden, get hit a lot, keep enemies close to you, etc.

Edit: Maths and forgot a feat
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-06-08 at 02:13 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Second Wind Spam Super Dwarf! A build idea.

Ooh, that looks nice. I think I'm going to copy that for an epic game a guy in my group is planning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Second Wind Spam Super Dwarf! A build idea.

Pretty sure there is an epic feat in Martial Power that gives you two second winds/encounter. Might be worth a look, if you don't already have it.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!