Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Artificer Question

I'm asking more out of curiosity, but I'm curious about the ability to spend action points to reduce an infusion's casting time down to one round. Or more specifically; what you do instead when the campaign doesn't use action points.

I haven't tested it (so it could be horribly broken) but I figured it could work similar to the quicker metamagic alternate sorcerer feature from UA (or the PHB 2, can't remember which) where you can use it 3+Int Mod times per day.

Any thoughts about how to still use this faster infusion without relying on metamagic or action points? Has anyone been able to play an artificer well without this ability?
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer Question

I haven't played an Artificer, but I think the solution would be to figure out how many Action Points a character is supposed to get at each level, maybe subtract one, and let them do it that many times per day.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    I'm asking more out of curiosity, but I'm curious about the ability to spend action points to reduce an infusion's casting time down to one round. Or more specifically; what you do instead when the campaign doesn't use action points.
    You don't get to do that? Just like the other uses of action points are unavailable, that one is too.

I'm pretty sure that artificers don't become underpowered without this ability.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, you could just let artificers have action points (probably the same number that they would get in a campaign that does use them) and only let them spend them on that ability.
    The OmegaDex, the complete index to just about everything related to Star Wars Saga Edition.

"Waspinator not want to be destroyed! Waspinator has plans!"
    -Waspinator, Transformers Beast Wars

"When was it that the twerps were chosen for this mission?"
    "It was when the mission became scary!"
    -Team Rocket, Pokemon

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."
    -Dragonmech designer

5. - Top - End - #5

The artificer in our group (when we had an artificer) played without action points, and didn't find it much of a burden. It did mean that we tended to scout more, so he could plan his buffs, but otherwise he just stuck with some pretty all around useful buffs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Well, you could just let artificers have action points (probably the same number that they would get in a campaign that does use them) and only let them spend them on that ability.
    I use this, doesn't seem to be unbalanced.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The artificer will only be using this feature occasionally, from my experience. Most of the time he'll be casting from wands and scrolls which he scribed in advance. Letting the artificer use "action points" on this ability only seems fine.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Or, if he doesn't feel like tracking action points (or the DM doesn't want to allow it for whatever reason), give him the ability to use it 1 per day, with increasing amounts as he gains levels (2/day at 6th, 3/day at 12th maybe?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

If you're going to give the Artificer a limited ability to do this without action points, then to be fair you should also give the other classes a limited ability to do things that normally require action points.

It seems like you might be best off just including action points and eliminating whatever uses of them you don't care for.
    Spoiler
    Show