New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wands

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wands

If I take a single level of Cleric, and then, say, 5 levels of Wizard, as far as I understand it, I can use any wand of a spell that either Wizard or Cleric has on their spell lists, as long as I can afford it, even if I didn't have the level to cast that spell or I didn't know it?

Given of course that wands can only be of 4th level or lower.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wands

Yup.

Make that a Cleric with the Magic Domain, and you don't even need the Wizard levels.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You can do it in one level of Cleric with the Magic domain, if you want; Wands don't care about your caster level at all, just that you have the spell on your list (even if you don't actually cast yet- 1st level Paladins and Rangers can use wands of their spells.) And yes, they also don't care whether or not you know the spell- Sorcerers can use wands from the entire Sorcerer list without blowing Spells Known slots.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, anyone with so much as a single level in a class can use a wand of any spell on that classes list - even if your casting stat is below 10, and even if you're not high enough level to cast spells in that class (like a 1st level paladin).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook) linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment allows you to pick up the Magic domain ability without taking any levels of cleric or wizard. Requires 8 ranks of Knowledge: the Planes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

There's also a Forgotten Realms feat that let's you pick a class and use wands as if you had a level in it. Ignore the regional prerequisite.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness