Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MitD - What We Know

Hey, I just had another crazy idea.
    Has anyone looked through the gods and supernatural entities in the 3.5 edition "deities and demigods" ? I don't suppose there is anything in there that could be MitD ?

In 1st Edition AD&D there was deities and Demigods (later renamed Legends and Lore in about 1986 or so). I remember lots of demigods and also some legendary monsters in there that were not listed in any of the 1st Edition Monster Manuals.

We know Rich has some deities in the OOTS world that are described (perhaps a bit differently) in that book. Maybe there is a creature in there that might fit MitD ?

I don't have access to 3.5 edition deities and Demigods right now. Anyone else already looked, or care to look ? Apologies if this has come up before.
    Last edited by lothos; 2009-11-24 at 06:03 AM.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, that's in your unsupported opinion. I do not agree he was faking. Also, he has been shown to get tired after using his most powerful abilities twice, i.e. the two times he has used powerful abilities.
    +1. I don't think he was faking, either.

As to his gender, we don't have to guess, and we don't have to wonder whether O-Chul was guessing.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0549.html

MitD: We should totally start a secret No-Baby-Eating Club! And Tsukiko can't join!
    O-Chul: Tsukiko eats babies?!?
    MitD: No, silly, she's a girl. Girls can't join!
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Proof against this #1: we already seen young dragon. Care to compare size with MitD?
    Dread Linnorms are not the size of dragons.

Also, are you even serious? Axe his head? And Redcloak (or these hunters) never mentioned this? This is not even grasping at straws.
    I look at this picture and see a dog. Just because it is missing a limb it doesn't change what it is. I see no context in which people pointedly not saying what MitD is would mention some characteristic.

Proof against this #1: we already seen young dragon. Care to compare size with MitD?
    Dread Linnorms are not the size of dragons.

Plus, abilities don't fit. They fit better with my theory
    So you claim, but I've yet to see how.

As for not knowing the canon: Proof against this #2. Belkar doesn't recognize MitD's footprints, when he already saw dragon ones before and Linnorms have standard dragon feet.
    Belkar has no points in survival. I wouldn't trust him to know his own footprints if he saw him behind him. Belkar knows a lot about humanoids, which he likes to kill, and food, which he likes to eat. Dread Linnorm is neither.

On the other hand, one does wonder why he didn't recognize the boot-shaped prints your idea requires. The more evidence you provide, the less your "theory" has merit.

Linnorm with one head (or beheaded) would be just a made up monster.
    So the creature I pictured above is no longer a dog? Is it a new species, then? Did I make it up?

First, I'm not sure you can target anything other than a pokemon with it. Second, it has one target. Third, ability is chosen randomly - and it just happened to be this? Straws.
    The plot bends the rules. If it was a D&D teleportation, for example, MitD would have had to go with them, but per word-ofauthor, plot trumps everything.

Black mage is also non-copyright. So?
    An evil mage that works with dark magic is not copyrightable. A child in big clothes, two yellow eyes and a huge hat is.

Ouch, did I hit someone's touchy spot?
    Actually, it's more your obvious incapability to post a coherent argument. But more on that later.

For exactly the same reason they vomit when they see Black Mage from 8BT?
    Link? And unless it is in-OotS, it means nothing. If people in 8BT recognise Black Mages in general, good for them. But that doesn't apply to OotS-verse. To them, that's just a child with a big hat.

Let me reverse the question - what Linnorm has that normal dragons don't have, as they never repulsed people? They look the same. Or, even worse, what Snorlax has? Your arguments really fallen apart, here
    Linnorm is fairly ugly. Snorlax provocked such reactions in this very thread when it was first proposed.

Ok, show me one page that says Black Mages have normal faces, not something they have to hide with magic.
    Fallacy time! argumentum ad ignorantiam. We're done here. Learn where the burden of evidence lies. I have a one-fallacy limit (although I'm sure you will claim that since I stopped, you "won").

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #1324

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi,
    reading through this thread, it became clear to me, that the MitD is probably not a D&D monster. Thus, I did some research on the web and stumbled upon a creature, that fits just too well to not be mentioned in this thread:

I present to you: The diawolf

This is a creature from the manga Monster Soul. The protagonist of the manga is a diawolf. The whole manga can be read here.

Let's compare the diawolf and the monster in the Darkness:
    • MitD can be recognised as one of a whole species:
      Yes! The diawolf would look like a werewolf or a wolfwere to people in a D&D world
    • MitD is an unusual sight in a rainforest:
      Yes! So are werewolves. But the protagonist of Monster Soul is first seen in a rainforest. Where he fights some trappers.
    • MitD cannot normaly talk:
      Unknown. Can werewolves talk when in wolf form? I don't know. Diawolves can talk when in wolf form.
    • MitD has high DR:
      Yes! This is one of the defining characteristics of the diawolf.
    • MitD has high strength:
    • MitD can cause earthquakes:
      Yes! This is explicitly shown in the manga.
    • MitD can teleport people:
      No! I have seen nothing like this in the manga. But I have only just read it, maybe I have overlooked something
    • MitD gets tired after using its abilities:
    • MitD is not immune to mind affecting spells:
      Unknown. There are no such spells in the manga.
    • MitD has two eyes:
      Yes!
    • MitD has an impressive shout:
      Yes! The diawolf is pretty intimidating when angry. I think there was even a scene where it shouted 'STOP!' and it worked but I cannot find it on second reading.
    • MitD cannot hold back its strength:
      Yes! There is a scene in the comic illustrating just this, when the diawolf is playing arm wrestling with a friend.
    • MitD is medium or large size:
      Yes!
    • MitD is neither good nor evil:
      Yes! I would descibe the protagonist of Monster Soul as chaotic neutralish. But then: He is not from D&D, so his alignment probably does not come with his genes.
    • MitD is neither lawfull nor chaotic:
      No! See above.
    • MitD has a shocking appeareance:
      Yes! It looks like a twist of human and wolf with horns. I would call that shocking.
    • MitD does not eat babies:
      Yes! Other people in the manga expect the monsters to eat humans but they don't.
    • MitD has a hungry father:
      Unknown. The parents of the protagonist are shown briefly but we do not learn much about them. They are monsters, so they might eat a lot.
    • MitD has probably a high challenge rating:
      Yes! The diawolf is the protagonist in a manga. 'Nuff said.
    • MitD would eat almost anything:
      Unknown. Food is not important in the manga.

Some other thing's about the diawolf, that might be helpful:
    • Apart from earthquakes, the diawolf can also create (ice-)storms. MitD has never shown anything like this, but it sometimes rains in the comic when the MitD is sad.
    • The protagonist of the manga is very caring about his friends and uses his abilities to protect them from harm.
    • The protagonist of the manga is 'not the sharpest knife in the drawer' but he is not as naive as the MitD.
    • The diawolf can change its shape to a human form. As we never see the MitD this does not contradict anything.

And now some meta-thoughts:
    • Is the diawolf famous enough to be known by Rich and him to expect that other people recognize it?
      I really don't know, I am not a manga fan. I heard about the diawolf the first time a few hours ago but that does not mean anything. I would probably not know 8 of the 10 most famous manga characters in the world.
    • Can Rich have known about the diawolf around strip 100? The manga started in 2005. I know that OOTS is older than that. But I do not know when strip 100 was published and OOTS Wiki does not mention this neither.

Summary: All in all, I do not believe the MitD is a diawolf because I can see no way how it could have teleported O-Chul and V out of Xykon's tower. This ability is very important for the identity of the MitD. But I wanted to show that there are creatures out there that fit (allmost) all qualities of the MitD perfectly. One must just use sources other than the Monsters Manual.
    There is also the point that there are certain monsters from other sources that have D&D counterparts but the D&D counterparts have slightly different abilities. Here it was werewolves. The existence of werewolves in D&D helped explain that people recognize the species of the MitD and are surprised that it can talk, although diawolves seem to be very rare in the manga and are usually able to speak. This might be important as unique or talkative monsters from other sources cannot be ruled out to be the MitD.

5. - Top - End - #1325

Monster Soul sounds relatively very, very low on the fame meter, on the basis that there is no anime of it AND there's very little of it at all. I doubt many Americans would know of it. Is Rich even into manga?

As for considering sources outside of D&D...well, that's why I throw Sun Wukong out there for discussion purposes, although I myself find some holes with that idea, largely the lack of parentage (he's born from chaos) and lack of baby eating (I doubt that monkies are expected to eat babies). The other holes can be handwaved away with Daoist magic, though that in itself opens up another problem.
    Although the teleport/wish requirement is a tough obstacle, in general.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    I present to you: The diawolf
    <snipage!>
    Now, that is a well presented idea. I don't know the manga, so I can't see any major problems, but it is certainly feeling like a good fit. There are only two problems, from the OotS-verse side. One is certainly copyright issues, although a "diawolf" (rather than the specific characters) may be generic enough to be beyond protection.

The other, more tricky, is that as you say he is being confused with a werewolf, then it doesn't match their expectancy of MitD being powerful - weres are nowhere powerful enough. But I can accept that they started thinking him a weird werewolf with horns, and expectations increased when he threw a tantrum and created an earthquake. On the other hand, what the comic does show is that Xykon expects him to be powerful and scary and, after MitD tries out his one-liners, he lowers expectations.

And now some meta-thoughts:
    • Is the diawolf famous enough to be known by Rich and him to expect that other people recognize it?
      I really don't know, I am not a manga fan. I heard about the diawolf the first time a few hours ago but that does not mean anything. I would probably not know 8 of the 10 most famous manga characters in the world.
    Guessable=/=Famous. Guessable means it has been published and at least one geek can find it. So on that front it fits.

• Can Rich have known about the diawolf around strip 100? The manga started in 2005. I know that OOTS is older than that. But I do not know when strip 100 was published and OOTS Wiki does not mention this neither.
    This is far more tricky. OotS has been around for a long time, and this could possibly be your idea's Achilles' Heel. Unfortunately, I have no idea of how to tell when a strip was published.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-11-24 at 09:07 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Halfling in the Playground

Monster So-what? I call "an obscure battle manga" (with the typical quotes "I need to be stronger", "I'll protect my friends", and several deus ex-machinas every chapter), and its two volumes (tank˘bon) proves it.

As for the MitD, since I don't really know the D&D world, I can say I really don't care if it's a "Whatevermagicus magix" or something like that.
    Last edited by Kgw; 2009-11-24 at 10:05 PM.
    "It was a dark night that Thursday morning..."

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    *snip*This is far more tricky. OotS has been around for a long time, and this could possibly be your idea's Achilles' Heel. Unfortunately, I have no idea of how to tell when a strip was published.

Grey Wolf
    Strip 100 is copyrighted in 2004. That is when it was created. According to the copyright symbol here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html

We can put that on the list of requirements too. Rich stated (IIRC) that once strip 100 hit, he knew what MitD was, and hasn't changed it. So, whatever creature MitD is, it was discovered or created prior to 2005 (2004 or earlier)
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2009-11-24 at 11:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Strip 100 is copyrighted in 2004. That is when it was created. According to the copyright symbol here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html

We can put that on the list of requirements too. Rich stated (IIRC) that once strip 100 hit, he knew what MitD was, and hasn't changed it. So, whatever creature MitD is, it was discovered or created prior to 2005 (2004 or earlier)
    Good point, I had forgotten the copyright date of each individual strip. Well, then that's that for the diawolf. Pity, it was growing on me.

Grey Wolf

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Pixie in the Playground

MitD is an unusual sight in a rainforest:
    I see this "argument" used all the time, but the hunter in SoD says
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I never expected to see one of these in this part of the world

Maybe he didn't expect to see one in this continent? I do not believe that "Terrain: Jungle" means that the idea should be removed
    (And it says jungle, not rainforest)

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kat0 View Post
    I see this "argument" used all the time, but the hunter in SoD says
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I never expected to see one of these in this part of the world

Maybe he didn't expect to see one in this continent? I do not believe that "Terrain: Jungle" means that the idea should be removed
    (And it says jungle, not rainforest)
    This has been brought up before. Location is one of the elastic clues - when you propose an idea, you can easily say it means "this plane", "this jungle", "this continent", etc. However, if you pick a jungle creature, it will be seen a weaker fit than if it hadn't. At this point, nothing really fits all the clues, even if we bend them, so feel free to bend them however you need. Everyone else will judge on how badly they are bent, of course.

Grey Wolf

Edit: Also, no point on spoilering SoD quotes. They've been plastered all over the thread. If and when we start thread II, I think I'll just put a big spoiler warning at the top and call it a day.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-11-25 at 10:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1332

Has anybody looked through Monstropedia?
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

13. - Top - End - #1333

So, how does Tao Tie shape up?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Tie
    Then mix in the possibility that Tao Tie is referring to Chi You...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_You

There's enough vagueness in there to allow for a contender
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    So, how does Tao Tie shape up?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Tie
    Then mix in the possibility that Tao Tie is referring to Chi You...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_You

There's enough vagueness in there to allow for a contender
    Dunno... Isn't it supposed to be recognizable?

So far all the suggestions I've seen and tried to come up with break/bend one or more 'known facts' (fuzzy as those may be) in order to fit. I suspect there will be a collective groan once MitD is revealed. :)

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valce View Post

So far all the suggestions I've seen and tried to come up with break/bend one or more 'known facts' (fuzzy as those may be) in order to fit. I suspect there will be a collective groan once MitD is revealed. :)
    Yes, it's supposed to be immediately recognizable.

Of course there will immediately be 4 threads asking what it is because someone missed the pop culture reference/movie monster/pokemon/mythical creature/D&D Template Spam. There will be a loud collective groan and some people will post long open letters to Rich on the discussion thread explaning that they will not read his webcomic anymore now that he has 'betrayed' them. I think it would be a bit better to always keep it in the darkness because the big reveal will be a letdown for a lot of people, but as long as it's epic enough I'll be satisfied
    Last edited by DBJack; 2009-11-26 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DBJack View Post
    Yes, it's supposed to be immediately recognizable.
    No. That's Telephone Game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    I will say this much: It is possible to guess.
    That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be something I invented just for this one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!" or some other made-up monster.
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.
    Last edited by Kish; 2009-11-26 at 02:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. Everyone, I have just put up every spell I can think of to prevent damage from fire, caustic remarks, sarcasm, and anything else on these forums, so do your worst. could the MitD be a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barghest?

IIRC, it eats alot, and since it looks like a goblin we arrive at the questions of whether a goblin is a common sight in the rainforest, and whether goblins speaking Common is common (you could invoke the goblins throughout, but surely this could be countered by suggesting that people took the goblin language, not too unlikely for adventurers.) I will admit that all of this is from my rusty memories of first edition, though. As to alignment, flukes happen. IIRC, it had a plane shift, and if it has been maturing lately we arrive at the also interesting question of what it has beaten up, and whether it has gained levels in something. There are enough splatbooks out there that there must be something hich would let it exclude itself. (OK, entering official straw-grasping territory here). Perhaps it was able to put them somewhere where they would immediately get dropped onto the prime material plane?

Anyway; Ready, aim, FIRE (your scathing criticism).
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Page 17 of this thread post #483. There's been a LOT of things suggested and "eliminated". I put that in quotes cause this subject is very personal to some people and if an idea makes sense to one person not everyone will see it that way. But you never know maybe something that has already been suggested will end up being it with new info.
    Member of the Celia fan club

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Hmmm. Everyone, I have just put up every spell I can think of to prevent damage from fire, caustic remarks, sarcasm, and anything else on these forums, so do your worst. could the MitD be a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Barghest?
    Been suggested, not nearly powerful enough at base, "Plane Shift" not a very close match for "teleport multiple others at range."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair 'nuff. Just a random idea thrown out by someone yet to play any 3.5 to speak of. IIRC they were much, much nastier in 1e, which could explain my confusion.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I’ve looked through the thread, and the best match that I can come up with that hasn’t been suggested (and subsequently shot-down in this thread at least) already is something like a juvenile…

Spoiler
    Show
    Glabrezu

Pros:
    Strong (STR = 31)
    High resiliency to damage (AC = 27 and Damage Reduction /10 good)
    Can cast Wish once per month
    Can summon Tanar’ri (Demon Roaches mebbe?)
    Not normally found on this plane, so shouldn’t be in any part of the world
    Technically, Common is not a standard language for Tanar’ri
    Cons:
    Chaotic Evil
    Probably not recognizable by your standard hunter
    Would terrify rather than awe circus patrons
    I’m almost certain Demons don’t have children
    Probably a whole slew of others that I have forgotten / don’t know about

Addressing the alignment issues that people have, though, I don’t think that this should be much a show-stopper for any suggested monster, since in this world it has been shown that some monsters can go against-type (i.e. the teenage goblins). There is also the fact that the MitD grew up in the circus, and not the Abyss, so he may not have the penchant for Evil as his brethren would, having been exposed to it their entire existence.

That said, I'm not all that attached to this idea, and the real answer is probably some very weird interpretations of the clues that we haven't explored yet.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

No, it is supposed to be guessable. I.e. the creature is described somewhere. We may need to read an unofficial adventure published only in South Dakota in 1987, but it is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    could the MitD be a Barghest?
    I proposed that a while ago, and still feel it fits fairly well, but it really is way too weak - even a Barghest on the verge of becoming an adult is too weak to punch someone out of the tower. Even taking rule of funny into account.

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Glabrezu
    The biggest problems with demons, angels and their kind is the fact that they don't really reproduce, and that unlike most creatures, it is difficult to see them changing alignments, since they are created to serve alignment planes. That said, we know that in OotS the demons are fairly free-willed, so given the lack of options, I'm willing to entertain the idea.

Grey Wolf

23. - Top - End - #1343

BlueWizardGirl

By the way, it occurred to me I don't know the rate at which linnorms accumulate HD. If linnorms are anything like other dragons, they'd have to be at something like Great Wyrm age before they get to cast ninth level spells without having taken PC classes. That's way past Ancient.

Anyway, I just can't see the MitD casting spells as a 17+th level sorcerer OR cleric. He would be way too conscious of that.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I've been browsing TV Tropes like a moron madwoman lately, and I was reminded of what is probably one of my favorite "theories" about what the MitD is.

Namely, that he's a gazebo.

It totally fits!

-A gazebo is obviously a powerful monster, devouring the story's PC without any chance of rebuttal.
    -It takes no damage from a +3 arrow, just as MitD apparently takes no damage from Miko's or Belkar's attacks.
    -Would you recognize a gazebo's tracks?
    -Or expect to find one in a jungle and even speaking in Common, for that matter?
    -It is, of course, a juvenile gazebo, explaining its roughly Medium size, rather than its being large enough for, y'know, people to hang out in it.
    -I... guess he could be a particularly ugly gazebo? Although technically speaking, the gazebo's never actually described in the story beyond its dimensions, color, and the pointiness of its top. So I guess one could argue the gazebo's horrific appearance.
    -The description states that the PC "awakened" the gazebo, implying that it was sleeping. Perhaps it had recently used one of its mighty and tiring abilities!
    -I'm bored and feel like justifying something completely silly!
    Eat Poop You Cat
    Round 1 (0/8)- Currently Playing: N/A

25. - Top - End - #1345

Half earth elemental/half gazebo?
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1346

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HotAndCold View Post
    . . .
    It totally fits!
    I like it. The fact that it is a YOUNG gazebo explains both its smaller size than a regular gazebo, and as it is immature, that "umbrella" will eventually end up being the cover than any full grown gazebo would be proud of.
    Last edited by Dancing_Fox; 2009-11-27 at 01:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this already, but I just realized something that could be fairly easy to miss:

Comic #477 shows, as we all know, the MitD stomping on the ground to create a massive earthquake.

What is sorta hiding in plain sight, however, is that this appears to have greatly tired him out ("Nah, I'm really tired all of a sudden.") This is very likely to be linked to this ability! So, whatever earthquake-causing ability he has, using it appears to be somewhat exhausting, and not just on a limited-times-per-day basis.

This could potentially help whittle it down a bit...or maybe not...or maybe I'm just looking too much into his statement? Who knows?

28. - Top - End - #1348

BlueWizardGirl

I think the reason for his sudden tiredness is that he used a 1/day spell-like ability and couldn't use that ability again until the next day. Tiredness is how he experiences the limitation imposed on him by the rules.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Quote Originally Posted by HotAndCold View Post
    [...]
    -I'm bored and feel like justifying something completely silly!
    Not so silly, it is well known that Gazebos can grant wishes.

30. - Top - End - #1350

DwarfFighterGuy

Edit: never mind, someone else already pointed it out.
    Last edited by Hatchet; 2009-11-27 at 06:57 AM.