New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Spontaneous domain casting for clerics

One of my players is making a cleric, and has asked whether he can give up his spontaneous casting of Cure spells for spontaneous domain casting. I am going to allow this, but am still undecided about whether it would be only one domain or both of them. Is there an existing cleric class variant somewhere that could inspire me one way or another?

We already know about the Domain Spontaneity feat. The entire reason he's asking about this is that he wants to save a feat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spontaneous domain casting for clerics

I think that there is a variant in PHB2 for Spontaneous Domain Casting, but it only applies for one domain. I am talking about 3.5 in this case, but for a different edition, I have no idea.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2009-06-10 at 10:04 AM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    I think that there is a variant in PHB2 for Spontaneous Domain Casting, but it only applies for one domain. I am talking about 3.5 in this case, but for a different edition, I have no idea.
    Yep. True. It also allows you to use some/all of you domain slots as cure (or, for evil characters, inflict) spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Thanks, I've looked at the PHBII, and I think my player will be happy with it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

There's also a Divine Feat named Domain Spontaneity [Complete Divine], which allows burning Turn Undead-uses to spontaneously convert Domain-spells. You need to take it once per each Domain you want to use it for though. Great addition to the spontaneous casting ACF (which is a must IMHO; makes way more sense than spontaneous curing/inflicting anyways). Third best casting Divine Feat (right after Divine Metamagic & Divine Spell Power).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-10 at 11:53 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's also the UA Variant where all of the Cleric's spellcasting is spontaneous. I'm a big fan; this makes MUCH more sense for a divine caster fluff-wise IMHO. And it makes Domain choices very important for a Cleric, too.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Down with the generic cleric! Bring back spell spheres!

(I've never played AD&D, but I like the concept.)

And make Healing spells Necromancy, not Conjuration!
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

If he starts at high enough level, you can also reflavor the Hathran - all spells cast spontaneously, and divine casters qualify.