New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Request help with a custom magic item

Greetings all!

The DMG allows for creation of both charge-based and infinite at-will use items. Does anyone else think that Bocobb's blessed book might count as a charged item that could be turned into an infinite use item for writing spells into it? Possibly re-fluffed as a crystal orb, or the like?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Request help with a custom magic item

I think that's making a logical jump off a cliff. It's also fairly pointless; the Blessed Book is already infinite for any practical purpose, where practical use is defined as "holds every useful spell ever printed for D&D 3.5." The only way you're going to fill up a Book is to obsessively collect every junk spell as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kind of hard to refluff. You put a spell in a spellbook by writing the spell into it. You can't exactly scribe it into a crystall ball.

I suppose you could have it as a magical book that would turn to the page of whatever spell you state before opening it or a blank page if it doesn't exist.

You could adjust the price I suppose probably making it at least 3 times more expensive. However, given the huge capacity of the spellbook I don't know if anyone would want a larger version as they'd have trouble finding enough spells to fill it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

All good existing spells. What about research?

Anyway, you do have some good points I suppose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Buy the handy haversack, put 2 BBB in it. Success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Which, due to cruddy strength (would you believe.... a 4?) and my liking to have lots of spare stuff to use, I was going to get anyway. Hmmmm.

Also useful for storage of familiars, if I get an air source in there... assuming of course I can find enough feats to take obtain familiar. :P
    Last edited by Josh the Aspie; 2009-06-12 at 02:16 AM.