New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A new atempt at community world building

Heh, this does remind me of Cataclysm of Green. Anyway, we've been refining a lot of the races, but we haven't put much work into humans, nor have we put more than just vague details into the halflings. Let's work on those next.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    I like it!

So, we've got secret kobolds living in all three Striders, but one of them has access to the outside world via a safehouse and a friendly priesthood.

On that one katang, the kobolds have moved well away from dragon-worship. They don't have any need for crazy worship of gods that abandoned their people long ago. Gliss, on the other hand, has found them! Praise Gliss! Praise him!

On the the other two katang, the kobolds still hold true to dragon worship.
    Don't forget the one Kobold Dragon-ship that broke away from the Katang after betraying it during the dragon raid.

3. - Top - End - #93

The problem with the humans is that they have no one unifying culture like most of the other races. They can be everything under the sun. So far we've got Elimanishan's undead desert island monstrosity, the two seperate orders of espionage monks, the arcane college I described a couple pages back, and one kingdom that was scattered around the world when the Ruin came. I could definitely see other races, especially the elves, dwarves, and gnomes, as being the dominant races in this setting, with humans set more as refugees and small bands of survivors as opposed to the ubiquitous everywhere race they are in most settings.

I really like the stuff for the kobolds, it seems really realistic for them. On the other hand, someone mentioned goblins a little while back. Unless there's something unique or defining about goblinoids in this setting, I'm thinking we should probably drop them. After all, the previous idea for them uses them in the same capacity as kobolds: slaves for the gnomes and dwarves. Unless someone can come up with something unique or distinguishing for them?

Also, I feel like the dwarves and gnomes are getting too intertwined. I think we need some kind of seperation between them, at least to distinguish how their differ in this new age.

Race count: 13 + goblins?

• Dwarves
    • Gnomes
    • Kabouter
    • Humans
    • Halflings
    • Elves
    • Orcaguin (Needs name)
    • Imocaris
    • Tuko
    • Warforged (elemental style)
    • Kobolds
    • Elf/orc crossbreed (underwater drow style, needs name)
    • Naraldi's Children (yuan-ti like, needs name)
    • Goblins?
    Last edited by Kellus; 2009-06-14 at 03:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Limos View Post
    Don't forget the one Kobold Dragon-ship that broke away from the Katang after betraying it during the dragon raid.
    Yeah. By my count, there are three gnome/dwarf striders, one that was destroyed by an orcaguin assault, and one that was sabotaged from the inside by kobold slaves leaving it defenseless against their giant/dragon allies. Then the kobolds pillaged and stole what they could from its remains and built their dragon-ship out of it. But in the three striders that remain, the kobolds still live basically as slaves, right?

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Yeah. By my count, there are three gnome/dwarf striders, one that was destroyed by an orcaguin assault, and one that was sabotaged from the inside by kobold slaves leaving it defenseless against their giant/dragon allies. Then the kobolds pillaged and stole what they could from its remains and built their dragon-ship out of it. But in the three striders that remain, the kobolds still live basically as slaves, right?
    Not so much. On Mata and Kuko they're more of stowaways, living so deep in the machine that most don't even know they exist. On Bala they were originally like that, but are now starting to integrate along with the other races.

I could definitely see the Dwarves/Gnomes being the dominant races in this setting instead of humans. After all, they have the biggest, strongest, most advanced, richest, and damn near only cities in the world. The humans are probably mostly refugees on Bala, savages living on pontoon cities like like raft one mentioned before, the occasional old-school orders like the mage's college and the floating desert, and shipdwellers. Mobile ships with a dozen or more humans on it would probably be the most common form of organized human habitation.

I agree that we're not looking enough at the differences between the dwarves and the gnomes. I'll look into that a little right now.

I think that the dwarves would have become largely dominant in Kuko, putting gnomes into the already existent dwarven labour cast. It's not that more gnomes are workers than dwarves, it's just that there are way more dwarven leaders than gnome leaders there. I think that this is the reason that Kuko is more stable (and stagnant) than the other Striders. They are also undoubtedly more militaristic and traditional. They probably have antiquated systems and cultural quirks more at home underground but adapted slightly for Strider-life.

In Bala I could see their current state of acceptance as actually the middle ground between the dwarves and the gnomes, largely facilitated by the kabouter. The dwarves of this strider would still be traditional, conservative, and slow to change. Not so much as on kuko, but still retaining their natural dwarven outlook. Gnomes, in turn, would be strongly liberal, open, and chaotic, pulling Bala in the direction that it has gone. This would have (and did for quite a while) lead to much internal strife and disagreements, with brawls and infighting not uncommon. Unlike in Kuko, the gnomes had picked up some of the dwarven stubbornness. Things calmed down, though, after the kabouter population started to grow. The kabouter were raised by both dwarven and gnome parents, and were the moderate middle ground between the two. Tensions started to cool, a balance was reached, and we have Bala as it si today. The tensions still exist, but they're stable now.

Mata is a city that appeals to both dwarves and gnomes without much strife between them. It emphasizes and holds deal what both races have in common, while putting aside what they don't share. They focus on craftsmanship, income, and technology. Dwarven craftsmen working alongside gnome tinkers to create incredibly intricate things made of exquisitely, caringly, and time-consumingly crafted parts. Dwarves provide patience tempering the gnome enthusiasm (and short attention spans). There is a complex bureaucracy that appeals to dwarven sensibilities while being at once loose enough to not be too restrictive on the gnomes and complex enough to interest them in its processes. They aren't the same, but their similarities are what their cultures emphasize.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

6. - Top - End - #96

Hey, Djinn in Tonic just recently made some new warforged feats, of which two emphasize a naturally fiery internal nature. I asked him and he says he's fine with them being posted as long as he's being given all due credit. So, thanks! Here's the feats:

Fire Within [Warforged]
    Your body contains such a heat that flames do nothing but strengthen you.
    Prerequisites: Blazing Soul, Base Fortitude save +8
    Benefit: You gain immunity to fire. If you are subject to an attack that would deal fire damage, you instead regain 1 hit point per three points of damage the attack would normally deal (before applying fire resistance or Hardness). You get no saving throw against magical attacks that deal fire damage (although you do get saves against any other damage the attack might deal, if applicable).

Blazing Soul [Warforged]
    The fires of the creation forge still burn in your body.
    Benefit: You natural attacks deal an additional 1 point of fire damage. Additionally, you gain Fire Resistance 5.

Here's the source:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=1#post6289440
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2009-06-14 at 07:39 PM.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd recommend changing the names to fit your setting's concepts though...

Maybe change Furnace Forged to Ember Heart or Elemental Soul, to emphasize the elemental nature over the mechanically created nature.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Awhile back I mentioned an idea for a city that was made of buildings on platforms, so, now I'll try making more detailed fluff for it. (also, I kinda got lazy at the end, but oh well) (and since it doesn't say it I noticed, ocean groves are reasonably safe if your above water as long as you dont accidently step through the roots)

Gont and Ocean Groves
    Spoiler
    Show
    One the cultures least effected by the Rise, Gont had lived a peaceful and unassuming existence atop the waves. A somewhat simple culture, they lived on flat wood rafts bound by vines or rope atop which they would make houses and other buildings. They would use wood rope bridges to connect their platforms together when they wished, but often rearranged the layout of the village. They followed a nomadic lifestyle atop the waves, visiting land during some parts of the year for trade, and being out to sea during the majority. Sometimes a family or individual would take their platform and go off on their own for a while, rejoining the community later on. On the whole the population remained stable at around 60 to 70 people.

Thus it was that they were not immediately aware of the rising ocean. It was not till they returned to trade with one of the coastal town that they found it rather closer to the coast than they remembered. They soon heard that the ocean was rising, and found many of the survivors asking to come with them for awhile at least till they found another place land to stay at. Having always accepted others who asked, the villagers of Gont allowed the people to come with and spent a few days making platforms to account for the new people, aided by those who had already made platforms in anticipation of their coming (Gont followed an approximately 4 year rout and had 7 places that it would stop to trade).
    After setting out again they helped the newcomers make homes atop their platforms using gathered supplies. However the issue of the rising ocean worried some of the people of Gont. Some worried that with the rising ocean there might soon be land they could go to to get new wood. Meanwhile most just tried helping the newcomers adjust to the lifestyle of living on the sea. The process was a hard one though. What had started out as a group somewhat larger than the normal population of Gont over the course of the next seven months till they came to land again decreased to slightly more than half. Many could not take the constant motion and diet, consisting mostly of small herbs and fish, and fell ill. Some decided to try taking their platform and making way to land rather than just letting the currents carry them and were never heard from again.

When they finally reached land, the village of Gont found the ocean to be even higher than in the previous town. Despite this, 15 of the 43 surviving newcomers decided they wanted to depart. However, almost 100 people of here asked to join the village of Gont. Many had already made platforms or rafts, some due to the rising sea and others in already planning to join Gont. Gont again accepted them. This time some of the more concerned villagers of Gont also sought out some druids in hopes of finding a solution to the problem wood if the ocean didn't cease to rise and covered all land (while Gont had one of their own, he was more knowledgeable on the sea and those within it than the land and things that grew upon it). While most of the druids were unconcerned, they managed to find one that would come with.

Again by the time they reached land again the number of newcomers had almost been halved. Those who remained from the original group had survived, but the new ones were down to only 62 members. When they reached the next town they found it completely flooded, and another large group asked to come with. And again things repeated themselves. Over the next 7 years, the population of Gont became almost 400. They also gained 6 druids, and a handful of spellcasters.

By this time the village was rather established, with some platform able to grow grass, allowing for some livestock, a number of stores, and a currency being introduced. However, the issue of wood had yet to be solved. Gont had begun visiting different ports as the water rose as well, yet the solution was not found till 23 years later.

After the Second Rise, many scouts went out in search of land. Gont now had a population of over 600. Meanwhile, the druids and spellcasters began experimenting with ways for plants to live on the water. As a result they had managed to make grass and some of the smaller food plants able to float upright, but had trouble with them lacking nutrients. The issue was solved by introducing aspects of jellyfish and making their roots into tendrils that caught and ate the small sea animals passing by. However, due to this, the plants became unable to be used. due to there small size it was too easy to get badly injured trying to get the food, and as such they were not used.

However, one day a scout brought back news of Iskala, and had even managed to procure three cypress saplings. These were beginning of ocean groves. Lacking the peat moss to hold nutrients and support them, they used the same method to modify the saplings as they had on their smaller plants. They further modified them as well to cause vine-like tendrils to grow rather than leaves. Given a little magical aid, over the next few weeks the first three ocean groves had reached adulthood.

The ocean groves grew similar to mangrove trees, their roots meshing together to create a kind of natural raft. They also produced air pockets in the upper roots to help keep afloat. They made a thick canopy with leafy vines hanging from the branches. However, despite their usefulness, they can be quite dangerous. Underneath they have a mass of trailing roots. These are covered in nematocysts that contain a powerful paralytic toxin. Furthermore, upon contact with something, the root instantly begins to coil around it (which causes more contact with the roots). While normal clothing is enough to block the nematocysts, one can still easily be caught in the powerful grip of the roots. Upon catching something, the roots pull up, brining the prey deeper into the roots where the central roots grow (they are only in a small clump directly under the trunk). The central roots have sharp points and when something gets to close they lunge toward it with great force that has even been known to puncture full plate armor. It then injects a fluid to speed up the decomposition of the prey allowing the roots to absorb the nutrients.

Due to this most sea creatures avoid ocean groves, and while the bigger sea monsters are unlikely to be killed, they find it to not be worth the trouble. However this has not stopped some creatures from developing an ecosystem around the ocean groves.

Originally, Gont kept all the ocean groves together, having them trail along with the rest of the village (now more a city). However, over the years, occasional trees would fraction off from the main grove, or seed would float away unnoticed and establish their own groves out in the ocean.

Edit: Also, since I forgot to say, current Gont is a more mixed city instead of pure humans like they used to be.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2009-06-14 at 04:46 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    I'd recommend changing the names to fit your setting's concepts though...

Maybe change Furnace Forged to Ember Heart or Elemental Soul, to emphasize the elemental nature over the mechanically created nature.
    As long as you're cool with that I'll change the names in my post right now.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

10. - Top - End - #100

With the establishment of Gont and the Ocean Groves, I think that we now have a satisfactory amount of detail on humans for now. I would really like to flesh out halflings a bit more now. Given the nature of the halfling cult, would it be safe to assume that they are one of the only orders in the world that has an order of paladin? Are these crusaders just as genocidal as their leadership? Do they wear heavy armor still, even though they're at sea, or do they wear lighter armors? Do any classes ever wear heavy armor anymore? How are seats on the halfling theocratic councils determined? Is the average halfling as genocidal and fanatical as their leadership? What's more common, clerics or paladins?
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #101

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    Hey, kopout, are you still watching this thread? You haven't spoken since the beginning and it's getting time that we should really start compiling the information that we've generated in the beginning.
    Yes I am, it just took off so fast.

but so far I have
    • Crab citys
    • Kobolds in the walls
    • Evil druid cultists
    • Too many gods to remember
    • Many kinds of orcs
    • Psionic crab monsters
    • Desert humans
    • Indentured warforged
    • Magic reactor kobolds
    • Scattered kingdom humans
    • Almost extinct wizards
    • Espionage monks
    • The arcane college
    • Omnicidel halfling cult
    • Gont and Ocean Groves

what am I missing?
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-06-14 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

12. - Top - End - #102

EvilClericGuy

One of my ideas for the city we now call Mata is gremlins. I originally envisioned gremlins as the kobolds who lived in the machinery and sabotaged it but then I thought that that would be counter productive, especially if they couldn't count on the dragons to save them. So I decided to have the gremlins as a kind of Construct instead.
    Gremlins(no not those gremlins)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gremlins where originally created as repair bots for the infrastructure of the city, however some or possibly all of them went rogue and began causing new and strange problems and worst of all they made more gremlins. This time the dwarves decide to make a new kind of construct using to seek out and destroy the gremlins. Thees new constructs where mad in much the same way as warforged, and indeed an individual fire elamentel can jump between them and their warforged body,so the gremlins and the anti-gremlins fought and still fight a war within Mata. But there is a third side to this war, the Mataise Kobolds. Mata literately being the city had discovered the kobold population a while before and had kept quite about it for some time. Now through very old speakers she spoke to the kobolds, telling them that she could easily expose them and have them exterminated, but that she would not if they agreed to help her fight the gremlins. Long ago the kobold's ancestors had gotten a similar ultimatum from the chromatic dragons, and then as now the accepted. so the kobolds came to worship Mata as a deity, as the had done with the dragons, and to fight the gremlins in the name of their protector.

Mata just struck me as the perfect meeting of deus est machina and a form of gods being created by belief because its a very big machine, it has AI, and you depend on it for survival. Throw in that the kobolds don't really know what it is and you have them worshiping it, a perfectly natural reaction given the above. I think that the dwarves living in Mata have a similar idea, after all Gliss is fine for the gnomes but a real dwarve worships a machine god that has always been a machine god, not some harvest god that got a new gig.

For setting title I would like to suggest Age of the Katang .
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-06-14 at 07:17 PM.
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

13. - Top - End - #103

Okay, Gont and the ocean groves look good for some more development on humans. I'm... unsure about the gremlins right now, but it depends what you guys think. Definitely needs to be polished up a bit, but it could work. I take it from the lack of interest that nobody's really interested in goblins?

Kopout, what you should really do is have links on the first three posts of the thread to the relevant posts for ease of reading so someone can jump right into a topic.

I agree, halflings need to be developed further. It would be really interesting if for the most part their religious government was a very twisted Lawful Good, and that ties in very well with paladins. Heavy armour is certainly not feasable in this setting, so I think we'd need an alternative class feature for paladins. I could see racial substitution levels for halfling paladins that removes their proficiency with medium and heavy armour, instead giving them divine bonuses to AC to represent the foresight granted by their prophet god Talaka.

As far as their government goes, there's a conclave of oceancullers that run things. They make no bones between themselves about their intentions regarding lesser species. Their crusaders, however, mostly follow the older teachings of Talaka, and are generally typically happy-go-lucky halfings. The Seaborn Supremacy Society, made up of the most zealous of the genocidal oceancullers and their followers, are slowly gaining control of the conclave and twisting the religious doctrines to suit their murderous intentions.

Meanwhile, a rebel faction of halflings, known as the Heirs of Freedom, forsake the entire religion and are trying to return the halfling race to the way they lived before the Ruin. Obviously the SSS hates these upstarts and is trying to quash the rebellion without even publicly acknowledging that the Heirs exist. The Heirs of Freedom have no real organization, and any meetings of them are run straw vote-style. Most of their meetings occur aboard Bala, with its enormous population. All members of the Heirs of Freedom are recognized by an intricate tattoo somewhere inconspicuous on their body.

The warforged feats look good, although Fire Within references the older name of the other feat as a prerequisite.

I'm working on the five different tribes of the orcaguin right now, and will post it a little later. Along with an actual name for these guys.

EDIT: Age of the Katang again unfortunately doesn't reference the rise of the new lands, which is what the setting is all about. The katang were built after the Ruin. I really like the idea of Age of X, though. Any other ideas what this new age could be called?
    Last edited by Kellus; 2009-06-14 at 07:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Actualy, I could see the idea of gremlins working fairly well, but I'd think that rather than being a type of robot that malfunctioned in mass, it would be the general term used for any creatures, robots, constructs, etc. that had begun trying to damage Mata (could even include some fire elementals that decided to go rouge).

As for the name, maybe something like Age of the Return, or Age of Returning.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #105

I think that it would be much simpler just to make gremlin the catch-all term for any sort of rogue construct existing within a katang. Be it a berserk golem, a defective dedicated wright, or a pissed off warforged saboteur, they're all gremlins. Aside from that, I think that Mata contracting the kobolds to taken on the gremlins makes perfect sense. After all, if we look at Mata as a corporate setting, EVERYTHING in the city needs to have a purpose. The gnomes, dwarves, and kabouter already have their purpose. So do the warforged and all of the other constructs. So, to keep giving the kobolds what is basically a free lease, she contracted them, gained their worship, and is at this point pretty much a demigod of artifice, constructs, industry, and protection.

I think that this setting necessitates the optional rules of the class defense bonus and armor as DR. It just makes more sense, since almost everyone is going to be largely or completely unarmored anyway.

How are the halfling councils chosen? Are they appointed or elected? Do they inherit the position from ancestors? How large are their temple-rafts? What's the normal population size for one of their communities?

EDIT: Ninja'd
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2009-06-14 at 07:47 PM.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

16. - Top - End - #106

Age of Dry Ground

Age of the Arisen

Age of Landfall

The Landfall Age

Wavecrest

The Peaks (of X?)

Return of the Lost

Age of the Lost
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

17. - Top - End - #107

EvilClericGuy

I can defiantly see gremlin as a catch-all term for internal things that start to damage their home katang. Shall I add it to the list?
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Vadin View Post
    Heck, in the floating city Colenchor there are even rumors of a secret settlement on the land to the north!
    Now, whose city is this city in the sea in the middle of the only land in the world? Is it a human settlement?
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    I think that this setting necessitates the optional rules of the class defense bonus and armor as DR. It just makes more sense, since almost everyone is going to be largely or completely unarmored anyway.
    Here's links:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ad...fenseBonus.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ad...eReduction.htm
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

20. - Top - End - #110

On Class Defence Bonuses and Armor as DR

Interesting idea. There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to it.

Advantages– Helps with people not normally wearing armour in a seafaring campaign.

Disadvantages– Everybody already knows the rules for regular AC, no support material for the new system, invalidates a large amount of existing material in support books.

Conclusion: I don't think it's a good idea, just because I think we want this campaign setting to be as accessible as possible. Bear in mind that a lot of the campaign will be taking place on dry land, whether inside of a katang or on the newly discovered land that's risen out of the deep.

HOWEVER, since there will indeed be melee characters, I can easily see a feat that lets a character forsake eternally the ability to wear in armor in exchange for getting a class-based defence bonus depending on the proficiencies they would have gotten. That way, the setting allows a lot of preexisting characters to move right over, doesn't invalidate a huge amount of support for armors, but still allows someone to play a viable armorless swashbuckler-type character if they want to.

Although if it comes to that, bear in mind that there are already classes centered around using very little armor, such as monks, rogues, rangers, scouts, ninjas, swashbucklers, wizards, sorcerers, and so on. So I'm really not sure how neccessary this rule really is. After all, if someone wants to play an armorless warrior, they can just play one of those classes.

Thoughts?

EDIT: About Gremlins

I'm liking this idea more and more. Definitely a neat idea to have rogue elements, "defective pieces", so to speak, in the living city. I can totally see a gnome cursing some unseen gremlin when a machine in the city fails to start.

EDIT the SECOND: I actually really like Age of Landfall. Sounds exotic and conveys that it's a new age in the history of the world as people slowly start to recolonize the lands that were lost. How 'bout the rest of you?

EDIT the THIRD: See my comments below about class-based defence. I changed my mind, although my points above are still valid.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2009-06-14 at 09:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

EvilClericGuy

We have established that gods are created shaped and sustained by belief and the kobolds worshiped the dragons but not all of them do any more (just the dragon ship ones and the ones hiding in purist city [I forget the name]) so perhaps some of the dragons power came from kobold worship? And if so, with their supply running low (less than a few thousand dragon worshipers left)they have begun to revert to large lizards with high int and a breath attack, the line between them and wyvrens is becoming blurred. No more unlimited life span, fewer spells per day, things like that. The worst of them are now just hyped up dinosaurs, having lost the spells, the wings and most of the intelligence. Just a thought..
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-06-14 at 09:01 PM.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

22. - Top - End - #112

The New Order of Orcs

Kappas

Kappas are orcs that have embraced their new aquatic forms, becoming in the sea what they once were on land. Skilled hunters and raiders using trident and net and harpoon, they prey on the less wary and take what they want.

Mechanically– Basic orc stats with a swim speed, underwater breathing and attack bonus with selected underwater weapons. They can’t breathe normal air, and need to hold their breath when they go above water. Favoured class would be barbarian.

Norks

These are orcs that hold to the old ways and bide their time; they still think of themselves as land-based creatures, simply waiting until the time is right to strike and take back what is theirs. The name is a bastardization of the phrase ‘new orc’, which is what this tribe originally called themselves. Other orcs, who didn’t take them seriously, starting using the name in jest until it eventually over the centuries devolved into, simply, ‘nork’. Today it’s even what they call themselves. Norks are especially important to the orc race, because they can stay above the water as much as they want. They make ideal emissaries to the surface world, and there is a large delegation on the strider of Bala. Norks keep the old totems, and many are talented at the old orc art of binding.

Mechanically– Basic orc stats with a swim speed and amphibiousness. Favoured class would be binder.

Lizarks

These orcs refused to go into the oceans, and forced themselves to remain on land after the transformation. Their new physiology required a great deal of moisture, so floating swamps became some of their favourite hunting grounds. Over the centuries they’ve evolved into a scaled land-based version similar to lizardmen. They originally had a great conflict with the toku over the small amount of swampland available. Over the years, however, this evolved into a partnership as they cooperated for mutual survival in the floating peat moss tracts. Lizarks are mostly exiles from the majority of the orc race, since they’ve forsaken their kin in favour of a strange existence on the surface. Nevertheless, they still have contact with norks that visit their villages now and then. Lizarks have given up many of the old ways, including the old rituals, since they don't have any suijin to perform most of the spiritual rites.

Mechanically– Basic orc stats with breath holding, scales for natural armour, and a swim speed. Favoured class would be ranger.

Suijin

The order of orc spellcasters that transformed the race in the first place. Although they don’t know the blood magic of old, they do still keep the old faiths and worship magical totems. Suijin are revered as wise men among the orcs, being able to interact with a whole other realm, the spirit realm.

Mechanically– Basic orc stats with some kind of mystical twist. Same water breathing ability as the kappas. Favoured class is spirit shaman.

Tharks

Orcs that live to defend the orc communities from their hated enemies, the imocaris. After the Ruin, the imocaris awoke and began to devour all they could find. Ironically enough, since the orcs had fled underwater, they became the most important line of defence against the imocaris for the surface world. Tharks specialize in hunting this enemy, and have strengthened their minds against the psychic powers of the imocaris. Some have even developed a crude version of psychic abilities with which to fight back against the predators.

Mechanically– Basic orc stats with no penalties to mental scores, but with lower physical abilities than normal. The same water breathing as kappas, a natural power point reserve, and a racial bonus to Will saves. Favoured class would be psychic warrior.

Government

Norks are the natural leaders of the new order of orcs. A typical underwater tribe comprises plenty of kappas and norks, as well as some tharks to defend their lands against imocaris. A few suijin live in each tribe, and often act as spiritual guides for the rest of the orcs. This includes overseeing the ritual Kapako Walk, which is the dream quest all orc adolescents must go through before they join the ranks of the adults of the tribe. Lizarks, of couse, stay away from their kin for the most part.

Each tribe has a single leader nork, known as the Gachak of the tribe. Any nork can challenge the Gachak for leadership of the tribe in a ritual underwater fight to the death. In times of trouble, all Gachaks come together in a neutral territory for Gachakspeak, in which they plan what is best for the race as a whole. In such a case, an invitation is made to the lizarks as well, to send a representative to speak for the swamp-dwellers. The fact that lizarks can't breathe underwater usually is the cause of much laughter among the Gachaks.

-=-=-

After thinking about it, class-based defence might be for the best after all. Especially since the use of the system doesn't automatically preclude someone wearing armour if they want to. So never mind my earlier objections, I add a vote that we use this sytem (as well as the armour as DR system, which works nicely with it by giving a reason to use armour anyway). Gooooo Unearthed Arcana!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2009-06-14 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Edits

23. - Top - End - #113

I must admit that Age of Landfall was my favourite of the ones I suggested too.

I like the idea that the dragons are weakening. It could explain why they took out that katang. They were liberating and empowering a population that reveres them in the hopes that doing so would secure a stable worship base. I don't think that they should be losing power in statistically noticeable amounts, though. Rather, I think that they should just be able to feel the slow weakening deep in their bones, and are now acting to stop it. Remember, they also took a large population of kobold worshippers to tether, so there isn't too much to worry about yet.

This, though, also gives them a vested interest in the land. After all, the main thing limiting their worshippers' population is the lack of space and resources. If they could secure one or more of the islands and guard it, imagine how quickly the kobold populations could explode there.

I like the orcs. I would tweak their culture slightly to make them just a little bit more shamanistic and animist, but I otherwise love what you've done with them, Kellus. Bravo.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh, and instead of making Kappas take nonlethal damage for being above the surface, I would just require them to hold their breath. They would be able to hold is above the surface for the same amount of time that the lizarks can under the water. I think that the amount of time that they can do so should be akin to that of the lizardfolk or the seakin of Races of Destiny.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have time for a full post/examination here, but what about this as the setting name:

Landfall!

I've always liked how optimistic an exclamation mark makes things sound (Which really brings out how hopeful the characters the PCs are playing shoul be), and 'Age of' is pretty common.

The direction the kobolds and dragons and warforged are going: I'm a fan.

Gnome/dwarf cultures on the different katangs: also great.

Goblins: no need for 'em here.

Lizarks: what if they allied with the tuko after the other orcs stopped associating with them? They could even be more civil than other orks, acting as 'protectors' and Big Brothers of a sort for the physically weaker tuko.

Other orks: A bit more shamanism is needed, but otherwise don't change a thing.

I mean it.

Don't.

Once I get to my home computer sometime tomorrow evening, I'm going to start doing the races so far in 4e terms so we can hit multiple editions (as Hourglass of Zihaja is doing).

OH. Or, setting name: Peaks of Ramua
    or Rise of Ramua

26. - Top - End - #116

So far Peaks of Ramua, Landfall, and Age of Landfall are my favourite names.

I like the idea of the lizarks being big brother figures to the tuko. It also makes sense, considering how the orcs are supposed to revere and protect those natural grounds. Furthermore, the peat moss only rarely would support the weight of the full-grown lizarks, meaning there's no real competition for space. In fact, it could be safe to leave lizark children with the tukos until they come of age and swim along side the floating swamps. It's another of those symbiotic relationships that we keep seeing in this world.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

27. - Top - End - #117

I would like to work on the briefly mentioned Colenchor, though. I'm wondering what race, which factions, and all of that would have established it. Is it a collection of grounded ships, trapped in a shallow sea after the tides finally receded? Or a collection of rafts with a small city built across them? Is it a gnomish tower with cannons and docks, or an artificial island build by sorcerers? What do you guys thing?
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

28. - Top - End - #118

Right. More shamanism. I'll update it a little and make suijin a more important part of the culture instead of just recluses. I'll also change the kappa's above-water capacity as you mentioned, jagadaishio. Finally, I like the idea of symbiosis with the tuko better than open competition for the lizarks, so that'll go, too.

As far as the name goes, "Landfall!" sounds good to me, too.

I love the whole deal with the desperate dragons trying to save some of their worshippers in order to survive. It gives them a reason to take out the katang, and gives them some character.

Colenchor could be a whole bunch of things. Bear in mind that apart from Tether, we don't have anybody yet that's managed to escape the Ruin through flight. Maybe Colenchor could be a literal "floating city" in that it actually hovers across the ocean? Completely man-made. I like the idea of human sorcerers building this place. Maybe when things looked bad, the most talented in the innate arcane ways gathered together in order to ensure that their bloodlines could be kept pure in the dark times to come. So today it's a city that floats across the seas through arcane spells wrought a thousand years ago, and its full of inbred sorcerers with incredibly potent magic that's been refined for a millenium. What do you think? Really, I'm open to other ideas.

As far as mechanics go, we're getting to the point where we really should start statting some of this stuff up. Do you guys think we should just post the stats here, or do you want to use this thread as a sort of hub that can link out to other threads based on particular topics, such as one all about halflings that can delve into their stats, culture, and the like? I'm just asking, since there's getting to be a lot of material, and jumping around on topics on one thread is going to get pretty confusing; especially to someone trying to read the information for the first time.

29. - Top - End - #119

If kopout is willing, I would like him to create specialized threads for each of the different cultures for stat-development and refinement, all indexed together in his first few posts. I like the idea you have of Colenchor being an inbred flying city of sorcerers. We're really not looking to favorably on human arcanists in this setting; a slowly dying college of wizards and an inbred isolationist city of human sorcerers. I'm loving it.

But as they're referenced in the beginning, the city is currently stationary, with one of the islands being to the north of it. That doesn't really fit for a mobile, flying city. What do you think?
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

30. - Top - End - #120

Ah, I didn't think of that. Tell you what; why don't you develop one of your earlier ideas for Colenchor, and I'll work on some seperate stuff for this human sorcerer city.

And yeah, human arcanists sort of got the short end of the stick. Although when you consider what happened to some of the other people, it doesn't seem quite so bad. Human peasant that was living peacefully in Emperor Elimanishan's realm? Good luck.

And yeah, if kopout could make some new threads that would be good. I'm thinking one for–

• Dwarves, Gnomes, Kabouter, Warforged and Katang (big topic)
    • Elves and their Houses (which all need to be named and described, at least the existing ones)
    • Halflings (which, incidentally, need a lot of work)
    • Humans
    • Orcs, Svartalfar and Imocaris (svartalfar being the elf/orc crossbreeds that live in the ruins of Suriya)
    • Evadize, Naraldi, and her Children (this would be for the whole mythology of the Ruin and the Reclamation)
    • Tether
    • Deities (of all races, all pantheons)
    • Tuko and Lizarks
    • Geography (for actually putting these people and places on the map)

And then miscellaneous stuff can be posted here.

Or of course somebody else can make the threads, and just have links to them in the top post here. Whatever works.

-=-

Orcs have been changed slightly as mentioned earlier.