New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Fertility Domain [PEACH]

Ummmm... this is a situation for house rules, and I'm not really sure it woudl be appropriate to get into here... I wasn't all that sure the Fertility Domain would be okay, frankly, but since no-one's objected yet...

@Amanda: Spells useful in a PC-oriented situation: All of them, depending on the situation. Suppose a female human PC gets pregnant? Is she gonna sit around fro 9 months while her buddies go off adventuring w/out her, or is she gonna get the cleric of Fortuna to transfer pregnancy to a willing (and probably paid) nurse?

But if you mean standard adventuring situations, protection from disease and its big brother. The second part of Conceive/Contraceive, maybe, depending on the game, but...

Anyway, it's not really intended to be a PC-oriented domain. If PCs can find a way to use it, more power to them, but it's kind of utility magic that would be important in a society.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kailin

That's 'cause you said PEACH
    Nope. I didn't give a bleep about the PEACH; I offered criticism because he posted it on the forums. That makes it fair game already.

The current domain probably fits the specific deity perfectly (BTW, I do like your giving the same deity a huge portfolio; real gods and goddesses tended to have amazingly and even strangely diverse areas of influence, instead of the single-sphere portfolios of standard D&D deities), but I don't think it could be used for any general fertility deity.

And I absolutely support creating non-PC specific utility magic. D&D 3.X already cut out all spells that aren't somehow applicable to crawling in dungeons killing monsters, defeating traps, and finding loot.

Games like RuneQuest and Hero Wars / HeroQuest feel that much cooler for having plenty of game information and magic for "home deities" (like Ernalda, Uralda, Mahome, Ty Kora Tek, Voria, Orlanthkarl, etc.) - stuff that mostly isn't useful for the PCs (unless, of course, you're a clever little Game Master), but that definitely exists and is used daily around the PCs.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

even though some of these spells are useless for PCs, its "world flavour". induce twins would be good if the parents decided to part ways after the child was born, yet could not decide who gets the baby. conceive and bestow fertility would be useful if you wanted more elves in the world, as elves rarely fall pregnant (or even become fertile). mind you, elfish gestation takes something like 30 years.
    remove fertility could be useful in a battle, stopping creatures that should not be from breeding (thank the gods there isnt another tarrasque or omegaloth!). another use for gender change is specific. change some of the female minotaurs into males and watch them fight over breeding rights!
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline
    elfish gestation takes something like 30 years.
    Where's that figure from?

According to Races of the Wild (the only WotC book I can think of that addresses this; I don't think Races of Faerūn touches on this at all), the elven gestation period is approximately nine months. The lesser fertility is supported, though.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames, the CoP
    @Amanda: Spells useful in a PC-oriented situation: All of them, depending on the situation. Suppose a female human PC gets pregnant? Is she gonna sit around fro 9 months while her buddies go off adventuring w/out her, or is she gonna get the cleric of Fortuna to transfer pregnancy to a willing (and probably paid) nurse?
    Oh man, that gives me an idea for an awesome kidnapping scheme, especially if the kidnapper is the only one in the area who has the fertility domain.

Blackmail note: WE HAVE YOUR UNBORN CHILD. IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT, LEAVE 50 THOUSAND GOLD IN A SACK BY THE HOLLOW TREE. IF YOU REPORT THIS TO THE AUTHORITIES, WE WILL ABORT YOUR CHILD.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Okay, since I think that question of the domain's general theme is settled, could I please get some feedback on the spells in it as per game balance?

Oh, and anyone else who likes knightsaline's gender changing idea: speak now or forever hold your peace.

Nope. I didn't give a bleep about the PEACH; I offered criticism because he posted it on the forums. That makes it fair game already.
    Yes, and I did want criticism. Still do. My problem was that, as Spider Brigade pointed out, people were ignoring what I was saying and continuing to criticize the domain in relation to ancient fertility goddesses and whatnot, when I had stated, several times, that I was aiming for something different.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Where's that figure from?

According to Races of the Wild (the only WotC book I can think of that addresses this; I don't think Races of Faerūn touches on this at all), the elven gestation period is approximately nine months. The lesser fertility is supported, though.
    I've seen gestation on an elf as long as 2 years (I think that's what Meine Alf said), but yeah, 30 years might be knightsaline's own little invention.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Okay, if no-one has any gripes with the balance of the spells, I now would like to request ideas for a new name for Brave New World (the one that lets a woman get pregnant without having intercourse).

Of course, if anyone has balance issues they haven't brought up yet, feel free to bring them up!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

A revised version of Conceive/Contraceive. Contraceive can now work like a morning-after pill.

Conceive/Contraceive
    Conjuration
    Level: Fertility 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level or Instantaneous; see text
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

For 1 hour/level after the casting of this spell, if the subject engages in sexual intercourse, one of two effects will take place, depending on the version of the spell you chose:
    Conceive: The target becomes pregnant. Conceive counters and dispels contraceive.
    Contraceive: The target does not become pregnant. Alternatively, contraceive can be used to prevent pregnancy from occurring if cast up to 1 hour/level after intercourse. This use of the spell is instantaneous in duration. Either version of contraceive counters and dispels conceive.
    This spell is absolutely foolproof while it remains in effect, unless two partners have opposing versions on themselves, in which case both spells are dispelled.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

A revised version of Conceive/Contraceive. Contraceive can now work like a morning-after pill.

Conceive/Contraceive
    Conjuration
    Level: Fertility 1

For 1 hour/level after the casting of this spell, if the subject engages in sexual intercourse, one of two effects will take place, depending on the version of the spell you chose:
    Conceive: The target becomes pregnant, or
    Contraceive: The target does not become pregnant. Alternatively, contraceive can prevent pregnancy from occurring if cast up to 1 hour/level after intercourse. This use of the spell is instantaneous in duration.
    This spell is absolutely foolproof while it remains in effect.
    What if one partner has Conceive in effet while the other has Contraceive?
    "After all, they can“t ALL be werewolves..."
    (last words of the first excursion to Ravenloft)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

>.< D'OH! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Obviously, they cancel each other out. Ideally, assuming it's consensual, the couple should have decided whether they wanted a kid or not, but it probably should be put in.

Edit - fixed.

Edit #2 - Nevermind.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would heavily suggest the Book of Erotic Fantasy to the original poster. A person in our group purchased it basically so there would be rules for when his dwarf went on "women negotiation sprees". It's very flavorful and the fiction is excellent. The first one even has a lesbian paladin. Glad to see that someone is breaking the Lawful Stupid mold.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Fertility Domain
    Deities: Fortuna, Maia (both from my homebrew)
    Granted Power: You are immune to all mundane disease. At 5th level, you become immune to supernatural disease as well.
    Spells
    1 Conceive/Contraceive: Guarantees conception or contraception for 1 hour after cast.
    2 Ease Birth: +10/level to Heal checks, infant is in the proper position.
    3 Protection from Disease: Grants temporary immunity to mundane disease.
    4 Bestow/Remove Potency: Makes one subject sexually potent or impotent.
    5 Bestow/Remove Fertility: Makes one subject fertile or infertile.
    6 Miraculous Birth: Magically removes a baby from the mother during labor.
    7 Protection from Disease, Greater: As protection from disease, but protects against supernatural disease as well.
    8 Brave New World: One woman magically conceives without having intercourse.
    9 Transfer Pregnancy: Transfers a developing fetus from one woman to another.

Bestow/Remove Fertility
    Transmutation
    Level: Druid 5, Fertility 5
    Components: V, S, DF
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
    Target: 1 creature within range
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fort negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

If you picked bestow fertility, target creature becomes fertile; that is, able to father or bear children. If you picked remove fertility, target creature becomes infertile; that is, unable to father or bear children. Bestow/remove fertility counters and dispels itself.

Bestow/Remove Potency
    Transmutation
    Level: Druid 4, Fertility 4
    Target: 1 creature within range
    Saving Throw: Fort negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

If you picked bestow potency, target creature becomes sexually potent. If you picked remove potency, target creature becomes sexually impotent. Bestow/remove potency counters and dispels itself.

Brave New World
    Conjuration
    Level: Fertility 8
    Components: V, S, M, DF
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Target: 1 woman of childbearing age touched
    Saving Throw: Fort negates (harmless)

One woman of childbearing age whom you touch conceives a child. You must specify the gender of the child during the casting of this spell.
    Material component: A few drops of fresh semen.

Conceive/Contraceive
    Conjuration
    Level: Druid 1, Fertility 1

Conceive: The target becomes pregnant. Conceive counters and dispels contraceive.
    Contraceive: The target does not become pregnant. Alternatively, contraceive can be used to prevent pregnancy from occurring if cast up to 1 hour/level after intercourse. This use of the spell is instantaneous in duration. Either version of contraceive counters and dispels conceive.
    This spell is absolutely foolproof while it remains in effect, unless two partners have opposing versions on themselves, in which case both spells are dispelled.

Ease Birth
    Transmutation
    Level: Druid 2, Fertility 2
    Range: Self and Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
    Target: Self and 1 unborn infant within range
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell grants you a +10/level sacred bonus on Heal checks and shifts the infant to a proper position for being born.

Miraculous Birth
    Conjuration
    Level: Fertility 6
    Target: 1 woman in labor and 1 infant being born within range
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

The infant is removed from the mother, the umbilical cord cut and tied, the infant cleaned, wrapped in blankets or other cloth, and deposited in the caster's arms. Both the mother and the infant are healthy.

Protection from Disease
    Abjuration
    Level: Druid 3, Fertility 3
    Duration: 10 minutes/level

The target is immune to mundane disease for the duration of this spell.

Protection from Disease, Greater
    Abjuration
    Level: Fertility 7

As protection from disease, except that the spell grants immunity to supernatural disease in addition to mundane disease, and as noted above.

Transfer Pregnancy
    Transmutation
    Level: Fertility 9
    Casting Time: 1 hour
    Target: 2 women of childbearing age of the same race within range, one of whom is pregnant
    Saving Throw: Fort negates (harmless)

When you cast this spell, the pregnant target ceases to be pregnant, and the other target becomes pregnant with the same child. The newly target is at the same stage of pregnancgy as the target who was originally pregnant.

Edit - Added spells to druid list.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Okay, I've been thinking, and I'm wondering if some of these spells might be good to put on the druid spell list. Like, the first 4 or 5 spells.

Also, what do people think of having Infertility as a flaw?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I've been thinking, and I'm wondering if some of these spells might be good to put on the druid spell list. Like, the first 4 or 5 spells.

Also, what do people think of having Infertility as a flaw?
    Infertility could be a bug or a feature, depending on the character. I'd say a "Character trait" rather than a flaw.

EDIT: Either way, you should specify that you don't get any of the adjustments just from being the subject of a Remove Fertility/Remove Potency spell.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Ok. That flaw thing was just a thought.

I'm adding some of the spells to the Druid list.