Default Get it off, GET IT OFF!

Mkichaa

Tiny Magical Beast (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 dex, +3 natural, +2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d4-2 plus id drain)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d4-2 plus id drain) and 2 claws +6 melee (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Blind cling, id drain, improved grab
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., feral cunning, low-light vision, primal bond, scent
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 12
    Skills: Balance +11, Climb +7, Jump +11, Hide +15, Listen +6, Move Silently +7, Spot +6
    Feats: Diehard, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Temperate and Warm Forest
    Organization: Solitary or Mates
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4-6 HD (Tiny), 7-10 HD (Small)
    Level Adjustment: -

A Mkichaa appears as a bristling lump of utterly crazed fur and muscle in the shape of a miniature primate. It vaguely resembles a wildly-maned marmoset covered in continuously twitching dark-brown fur with odd streaks and whirls of mahogany. Its head is overly large for its size, as are its feral, nocturnal eyes that take up most of the head. Sharp, predatory teeth protrude slightly from its misleadingly small snout.

A Mkichaa knows nothing but desire and hunger, to hunt and mate and hunt again with unquenchable appetite. More than two Mkichaas are rarely found within miles of one another for two males or females will always fight to the death. They hunt as one creature, bonded at the deepest primal level. The female Mkichaa is almost always in a pregnant state and may give birth to a dozen or more pups at once, which is well for both parents are wont to kill their entire litter in random moments of pique. They nurse for only a weak before growing into their bloodlust. To sustain their energy hungry children, and as a manner of self defense, they seek out larger prey upon which to feed, leaving their children in their tree-top bowers. When the pups reach maturity the parents carry them far away and abandon them, remaining nearby for a day to scare them off from retracking their parent's route. Mkichaa's find their mate by their maniacal, ear-splitting screeches that travels for miles, which may also attract potential rivals whom fight till the death and are then consumed by the opponent.

Mkichaas weigh some twenty-five pounds and stand a little over a foot and a half high.

Combat
    Mkichaa's hunt in pairs if at all possible, circling their prey and examining it from opposite angles. One then attacks, literally draining the agressive emotions from it until it falls unconscious. The Mkichaa then switches minds and takes the body to feed its young, then switching back as they begin to feast on the comatose form.

Blind Cling (Ex):
    As a move action, a mikichaa that is grappling an opponent with a head and eyes may climb up and cling to the victim's head.The succeeding round, if it remains grappled, it can cover over the eyes of its opponent if it is Medium or smaller, digging its claws in, blinding it's opponent. Every round the mikichaa gouges the opponent's eyes and face, the opponent takes 1d4 points of damage. Even if the Mkichaa is removed its victim remains blinded until the damage is healed. While clinging to an opponent's head, the mikichaa can use it's bite attack.

Feral Cunning (Ex): A mkichaas can never be caught flat-footed.

Id Drain (Su):
    On a successful bite attack, a mikichaa deals 1 point of Charisma damage and gains 1 point of Strength for every point of Charisma damage dealt. This bonus to Strength lasts for 1d4 minutes past the end of the encounter. If it's opponent's Charisma is reduced to 0 with this ability, the mikichaa and it's opponent's minds switch places as the mind switch power.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Mkichaa must hit with both its claw attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity even if it would normally be too small. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can Cling. If the opponent is two sizes or more larger than the mkichaa they are not considered to be grappled, and take no impairments, but instead are 'wearing' the clutching mkichaa. A Mkichaa uses its dexterity modifier for grapple checks and gains a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, which is already included in the statistics above.

Primal Bond (Su): A mkichaa and its mate can communicate telepathically at will, exchanging information, including scents and sounds, as long as they are within 1000 feet of one another. If both are within sight of the same location their opponents gain no benefit from flanking.

Skills: Mkichaas have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Mkichaa have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of dense forest, the Hide bonus rises to +8.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2006-11-01 at 09:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Get it off, GET IT OFF! (PEACH)

GAAAH.

...why don't you give it Rabies (Ex) or something and make it Abso-BALLY-Lutely terrifying, eh?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I have found the ultimate creature to plague my players with. Thank good sir for your continuing gifts to this community.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

... Is that a giant squirrel?
    Kssss!
    Eh? AH! It's on my face!

Once again a very great job, Tribble.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Mkichaa
    Id Drain (Su): A Mkichaa deals 1 point of Charisma damage each time it makes a successful bite attack which it applies to its Strength score. This bonus fades 1d4 minutes after it has vanquished its enemy or been forced to flee. If its prey's Intelligence is reduced to 0 the Mkichaa and its prey's psyches exchange places as the Mind Switch power.
    Huh?

Deals Charisma damage, somehow applies it to it's strength score, and switches with it's enemy when it's Intelligence gets down to 0? I'm confused. Any chance you can re-word that?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth
    Huh?

Deals Charisma damage, somehow applies it to it's strength score, and switches with it's enemy when it's Intelligence gets down to 0? I'm confused. Any chance you can re-word that?
    Whoops, I meant to say when its 'Charisma' gets down to 0. Adjusted.

Basically it drains the inner 'id', or the primal desires, of a person, which increases its frenzy. Sort of triggers an extended Rage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

That is the most terrifying thing I have ever read.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Mind-switching...squirrels? Dear gods, Tribble, your players must be nervous wrecks. What exactly does it do after it gets some other guy's body?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    Mind-switching...squirrels? Dear gods, Tribble, your players must be nervous wrecks. What exactly does it do after it gets some other guy's body?
    Naw, a mind switching monkey ;)

Basically it takes the body to the nest to feed the babies and then gets its mind out of it QUICK. As the other guy's mind then comes back, still at 0 charisma and comatose, he is eaten alive.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

So... evil mind-control monkeys.

*adds monkeys to his list of things to fear*

Excellent work as always, Vorpal Tribble. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Will you ever publish a book filled with your critters VT, that would be worth the money
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

There are two things that make me excited in the gaming boards, or rather one combination of things.

Vorpal Tribble and PEACH. I don't usually comment on your work, but I should. This is witty, original, and downright terrifying.

I love it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

good lord... You know, whenever I come to these boards I always look for your posts, vt. This is why. If I ever were to be a DM... **insert evil grin here**

14. - Top - End - #14

These definitely fall under the category of "you're not expecting them to be as lethal as they actually are." Which is one of the scariest genres of scary monster, personally. Unless your DM somehow "telegraphs" the impending badness, but with VT you never know if he's actually getting ready to spring something, or if he's just describing the monkeys to mess with your head...

One thing, though.
    The female Mkichaa is almost always in a pregnate state and may give birth to a dozen or more pups at once, which is well for both parents are wont to kill their entire litter in random moments of pique.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

15. - Top - End - #15

When I read this...

...a bristling lump of utterly crazed fur and muscle...
    ...I thought you'd gone and statted your furry sharp-toothed namesake. ;D Then I reached the 'in the shape of a miniature primate' part... and it just got scarier from there.

But then I realised: if it has an Int of 2, it's game for Handle Animal checks... rear a Mkichaa yourself? Better yet, rear a whole pack? After all, they breed fast, and the parents can't kill the offspring if the handler carefully separates them... I need to build me a Mkichaa Wrangler character now.

Oh, and just to join in the pedantry (we're giving you free editing to help get that book published ;)):
    they seek out larger prey upon which to feed, leaving their children in their tree-top boughers.
    I think you mixed up bough and bower. Also you've got the plural as 'Mkichaa's' a couple of times, and under Feral Cunning you say 'a mkichaas'.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

You scare me, VT. I swear, if I were in your campaign, I'd kill everything, just in case it was alive and hostile. Which it probably is. Nice work, as always. ;)
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm trying to decide which would be worse to have fall on your head, this or the dropbear you made awhile ago.
    *looks up to check for angry furry things*
    You shot Aethlas you teamkilling f**ktard!!&&

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I see. Tribble, do you use Sanity mechanics in your games?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Omigoodness. :o

I knew monkeys were evil!

If I were in your campaign, I'd kill everything, just in case it was alive and hostile. Which it probably is.
    That would work up until the point where you encounter VT's psionic dream-celestials...
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Or he decides to make psionic inevitables. :P That actually sounds like a good thing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina van den Vechte
    Will you ever publish a book filled with your critters VT, that would be worth the money
    Gonna see if Dragon Magazine is interested in any. If not I might make the attempt to put them in a book.

But then I realised: if it has an Int of 2, it's game for Handle Animal checks... rear a Mkichaa yourself? Better yet, rear a whole pack? After all, they breed fast, and the parents can't kill the offspring if the handler carefully separates them... I need to build me a Mkichaa Wrangler character now.
    Ermmm... I guess you 'could' make the attempt... but I honestly don't see it being trainable. Everything inside it wants to attack anything not its mate.

I swear, if I were in your campaign, I'd kill everything, just in case it was alive and hostile. Which it probably is.
    Naw, I have plenty of very unhostile creatures, pacifistic even.

I see. Tribble, do you use Sanity mechanics in your games?
    Some of them ;)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Gonna see if Dragon Magazine is interested in any. If not I might make the attempt to put them in a book.

If they do make it into Dragon, let us know when we can see them. I want to be able to show it to my friends and say &quot;you should have seen what was too sadistic to get in.&quot;

23. - Top - End - #23

Vicious! There are a few things.

1. I kinda doubt their Wisdom can be 16 if they kill their young on random occasions. They're clearly not mentally stable.
    2. Shouldn't those in full helmets with face plates and eye slits receive a bonus?
    3. Once it's on someone's face, shouldn't the victim receive a bonus to grab it, even when blinded? The victim knows precisely where it is: on his face. Eyes aren't needed for kinesthetic sense. The creature can't dodge much: it needs its legs to cling on to the head whilst its arms and mouth do the attacking.
    4. No saving throws? That's nasty. Surely 'tis unusual for magical, malevolant effects to not have saves. Otherwise they can rip apart high level characters.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

24. - Top - End - #24

I want one of these as a familiar. Right after the pseudodragon.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sweet Fancy Moses, man! I gotta stop reading these things you keep posting...

Y'know, the main reason I applied to join your game is that I read a few of these, and thought, &quot;Wow, this guy's a genius.&quot; Only later did it occur to me that I might actually run into a few of these things...

So, is it gonna be a problem if Anya stays in the tavern for the rest of the campaign? ;)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And watch him proceed to design a Colossal creature, (sorta like a cross between a mimic and a lantern fish), that feeds off adventurers by disguising itself as a tavern. :D The bartender is its tongue. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

THAT wasn't right....^^

Although now that you mention it, the tavern IS called &quot;The Gaping Maw&quot;, and looks a lot like a mouth...

Guh.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oeryn
    THAT wasn't right....^^

Although now that you mention it, the tavern IS called &quot;The Gaping Maw&quot;, and looks a lot like a mouth...

Guh.
    RUN IT&quot;S AN ADVANCED FORM OF MIMIC!!!

*ahem*

I mean. Yes.

29. - Top - End - #29

I had one of these in a game. An advanced mimic in the city of Sigil that disguised itself as a magic item shop. There was a small wooden bench across the street, upon which sat three weak demons- I think two vrocks and a succubus. Whenever someone entered the shop, the demons did the wave.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad
    I had one of these in a game. An advanced mimic in the city of Sigil that disguised itself as a magic item shop. There was a small wooden bench across the street, upon which sat three weak demons- I think two vrocks and a succubus. Whenever someone entered the shop, the demons did the wave.
    YES!