New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Swanmay and Vow of Purity

Ok, so my GM and I were talking about my character becoming a swanmay. We looked in Book of Exalted Deeds, and saw that I meet most of the requirements... except the Sacred Vow and Vow of Purity. However, I'm at an utter loss as to why a druid or ranger-oriented class (as in, requires Wild Empathy) would require a Vow of Purity, which requires them to abstain from touch dead bodies, including meat for eating. Even reading the class, there's not much reason that the Vow is in there.

Anyone got a clue as to why they included that?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Swanmay and Vow of Purity

Because the Swanmay of legend were graceful, pure maidens. I'd say peaceful, but they tended to have a nasty streak against anyone who stole their cloaks. Basically, it's the same idea as the elven virgin maiden riding a unicorn - the select girl choses to give up something (sex for the unicorn rider, eating meat for the Swanmay) for their "blessing".

In other words, it's mostly fluff. I'm sure you could just include a "Vow of Vegetarianism" as a class skill that restricted you to not eating meat, and never notice the difference.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BoED fluff is fairly restrictive, intentionally. The Swanmay is supposed to be an exemplar of Good, and the vow is part of that. I'd say you can probably substitute a similar vow for it, and not have an issue, but some reflavoring will be needed.

I'd also consider asking your DM to drop the Sacred Vow prerequisite(for everything). One feat and what you give up should be enough of a sacrifice for most of the benefits.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well, as the always reasonable PETA informed me last week "Meat is murder, and you deserve to go to hell for eating it."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

^were you eating sea kittens?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    ...However, I'm at an utter loss as to why a druid or ranger-oriented class (as in, requires Wild Empathy) would require a Vow of Purity, which requires them to abstain from touch dead bodies, including meat for eating...
    I'm at a loss as to why an Exalted feat would seem to imply that you must eat the living.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    I'm at a loss as to why an Exalted feat would seem to imply that you must eat the living.
    Ooh, good call, so you can still eat flesh as long as the creature is still alive!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

That's hilarious. I'll forward that to my GM, and begin taking the feats. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh, well done, sir.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thumbs up Re: Swanmay and Vow of Purity

Bravo. Well said.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm...so a "Sacred Zombie" character is feasible... interesting...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

While technically Mindflayers are hermaphrodites apparently their non-brain organs don't change much during cerebemorphis. Just the nervous system and the head.

So could a female human who was transformed into a Mindflayer qualify for Swanmay? Could always use polymorph any object if they don't meet the gender prerequisites.

Could also do a Half-Dragon Tyrannosaurus Rex Swanmay

13. - Top - End - #13

Thanks everyone!

A fun and unconventional way to access Swanmay is via a Warlock with the Call of the Beast (Wild Empathy+speak with animals spell) Invocation (CM) and the Ruathar PrC (for the required Survival Skill.) You run into a text vs. tables issue though, because while the table says '+1 to existing class,' the text says druid or ranger only. You'd need to work that out with the DM. So you should have just enough space in your build to fit in Hellfire Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    While technically Mindflayers are hermaphrodites apparently their non-brain organs don't change much during cerebemorphis. Just the nervous system and the head.

So could a female human who was transformed into a Mindflayer qualify for Swanmay? Could always use polymorph any object if they don't meet the gender prerequisites.

Could also do a Half-Dragon Tyrannosaurus Rex Swanmay
    Ask your DM if he can make Mind Flayers into a Lycanthrope 'Werebeast' template. Then you can fast during the day as a beautiful swanmaiden, only to rise up at night and devour delicious brains from anything sentient nearby!

Whatever you choose, repeat to yourself: "I am a predator, not a scavenger." That's your Swanmay mantra, and it will help you to frame your mind around the cruel cycle of nature that made you a vicious meat eating waterfowl.
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2009-06-15 at 01:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

That is one of the most awesome things I've ever heard.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The exact text of the feat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisite: Sacred Vow.
    Benefit: You gain a +4 perfection bonus on Fortitude saving throws to resist disease and death effects.
    Special: To fulfill your vow, you must avoid all contact with dead creatures, including meat cooked for food. You may not touch fallen foes. You may fight undead foes, but must purify yourself as soon as possible afterward. You may touch dead characters in order to restore them to life (by way of a raise dead or similar spell that requires you to touch the corpse), but for no other purpose.
    If you fight undead creatures or accidentally touch dead flesh you must purify yourself in a special ritual that requires 1 hour and a flask of holy water.
    If you intentionally break your vow, you immediately and irrevocably lose the benefit of this feat. You may not take another feat to replace it. If you break your vow as a result magical compulsion, you lose the benefit of this feat until you perform a suitable penance and receive an atonement spell.
    Am I the only one wh immediatly started looking for a good goddess for my next Dread Necromancer to worship?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Am I the only one wh immediatly started looking for a good goddess for my next Dread Necromancer to worship?
    Isn't there a NG or CG female goddess of unrequited love and undeath and all that somewhere? One of those "died while waiting for her true love to return" types?
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

How is that Good? That's just a Vow of Prissiness.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Isn't there a NG or CG female goddess of unrequited love and undeath and all that somewhere? One of those "died while waiting for her true love to return" types?
    She's in LM, and I'd use her except I already use her for a different Dread Necro(I have about 5 concepts for the class already).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations, you win one (1) Internets.

Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

20. - Top - End - #20

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Kelemvor, Wee Jas, and the Raven Queen from 4e are all LN, so a LG character would have no problems.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Anyone got a clue as to why they included that?
    My guess is that they created all these neat Vows and attached them to the requirements for PrC's they were creating, and Vow of Purity hadn't been used yet when they got to Swanmay. While I do remember there being a historical Church sponsored Vow like this, I don't associate it with Swanmay's at all. Purity probably sounded like a good word for a quality Swanmay's should possess. If there was a Vow of Grace, they would have had that as a requirement instead.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    ^were you eating sea kittens?
    Every time I read that, it makes me wonder if I should eat the land fish that naps on my bed.

23. - Top - End - #23

Ironically, the 2e entry for Swanmays has them stringing up dead poachers around their homes to warn people off.

So I can't imagine why they added it. Maybe they were going for a swans = purity angle?
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Ironically, the 2e entry for Swanmays has them stringing up dead poachers around their homes to warn people off.

So I can't imagine why they added it. Maybe they were going for a swans = purity angle?
    The remains of poachers may also be left here as a warning to others.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
    they don't say stringing them up, just leaving them there. They are defenders and protectors of forests and wildlife, so yeah why not leave behind a sign that "trespassers/transgressors" not welcome?

As such being protectors of wildlife, may explain why they don't eat meat, likewise protectors of forests may be why they don't touch dead, because they believe that nature should run its course and claim the dead as fertilizer for the forest.

Also dead things, including poachers are a form of wild life, and have a right or the dead to be respected.

Can't find the darn book after "sorting" a closet lat night, but that is what I gather from the question and info provided in the OP, in conjunction with the 2nd edition context on Habitat/Society.

Of course being an odd book Purity may be the only thing that fit with the old swanmay to show this treatment of forest and wildlife. Guess they are vegans now?
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-06-15 at 10:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    they don't say stringing them up, just leaving them there. They are defenders and protectors of forests and wildlife, so yeah why not leave behind a sign that "trespassers/transgressors" not welcome?
    It says that they leave them in their [the swanmays'] lodges. Unless they kill people in their living rooms, that implies relocation.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    ...Guess they are vegans now?
    Spoiler
    Show

No, meat juicy sweet!
    Rough and riggling!
    Stupid Vow of Purity....

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Well, as the always reasonable PETA informed me last week "Meat is murder, and you deserve to go to hell for eating it."
    Is it okay if I kill the animals, but throw the meat away?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, PETA does it all the time.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    It says that they leave them in their [the swanmays'] lodges. Unless they kill people in their living rooms, that implies relocation.
    "And so, did Lady Estelbrook the thirty-third, the fair damsel of the land of Mulbenburns in the Kingdom of Britan, in the continent of Europe, on the planet of Earth, in the orbit of Sol..."

*Thwap* "Skip ahead a few lines, good brother."

"Didst fetch the Tongs of Moving the Dead, and witheth them, she did move the corpses of the braggart, and the poacher, the liar, and the thief, and the murderer, and the man with a rather large nose, and the other fellow who looked at her funny, and the..."

*thwap* "Yes, yes. We get the idea. Fetch the Tongs of Moving."
    Last edited by ImmortalAer; 2009-06-16 at 11:14 AM.
    Aer's 3.5 Workshop
    Currently featuring : Magebane Aspirant!
    GiTP Game designers, here!

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

You know, large part of the "pure maiden" topos includes the horrible things they do to people... for example, eating bits of the evil poachers and leaving them to die so their corpses would serve as a warning would fit well in a more bloodthirsty campaign.