New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I reject yer reality and substitute my own![FRUIT]

We were somewhere around Tradegate at the edge of the desert when the glamers began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should take the reins..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar around us and the sky was full of what looked like giant stirges, all swooping and stabbing and diving around the cart, which was going about a hundred miles an hour to the portal to Sigil. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Heironious! What are these gods-cursed animals?!"
    Then it was quiet again. My bodyguard had taken his tunic off and was pouring ale on his chest to facilitate the tanning process. "What the frell are you yelling about?" he muttered, staring up at the sky with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound gnomish sungoggles. "Never mind," I said. "It's your turn to take the reins." I stopped the mules and aimed the cart towards the side of the road. No point mentioning those stirges, I thought. Poor sod will see them soon enough.
    ...We had two bags of halfling pipe-stuffing, seventy-five charges of color spray in wands, five scrolls of major image, a salt-shaker half-full of pixie dust and a whole galaxy of multicolored charms, glamers, cantrips, dweomers... and also a quart of mead, a quart of ale, a potion case of lesser confusion, a pint of raw id moss, and two dozen kender sugar cookies.
    ...The only thing that worried me was the cookies. There is nothing in the Great Wheel more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of a sugar binge...
    -Gonzo Redeye, famed goblin journalist, from Fear and Loathing in the City of Doors

Wizards and sorcerors draw from different sources of inner and outer power to fuel their magic. Wizards tend to believe in an underlying set of universal laws that inundate the multiverse, which define reality and can be predicted with but the right knowledge. Sorcerors confide in a chaos-with-purpose, a flowing and unpredictable sea of magic, like the run of a river that changes course where it may and takes the willing along for a ride.
    Some mages go crazy. Not the terrifying crazy that eats at the will and drives one to fiendish acts, but the strangely amusing kind of crazy that makes one lose their grip on everyday life. Mages who have slipped off the status quo have been seen talking to signposts, writing entire books in one letter, or casually slinging magic missile spells at shadows, asserting with calm grace that they are "attacking the darkness." They're prone to using illusion spells to trick their own eyes, and dosing themselves on powerful hallucinogens to while away their free time. They're harmless nutters, usually.
    Of course, when signposts start talking back, and the tomes entitled "AAAA AA AAA AAAAAA" start making sense, it could be there's a method to a mage's madness. Or a madness to a mage's method. Noone's quite sure how it happens... but every once in a blue moon, a crazy mage gets so eccentric that the world they interact with starts going bonkers too.
    They're the Weirders. And they're Weird.

WEIRDER

To qualify for the Weirder prestige class, a character must meet the following prerequisites.
    Alignment: Any chaotic.
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks.
    Spells: Must be able to cast at least two 3rd-level arcane spells from the illusion school.
    Special: Must have accomplished at least one of the following:
    -Made friendly contact with a chaotic neutral outsider.
    -Concentrated on a self-induced illusion for at least 3 consecutive days.
    -Overdosed on a hallucinogenic substance.
    -Been subject to insanity, as per the spell.

BAB: As wizard.
    Hit Die: d4.
    Saves: All bad.
    Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier per level.

Class Skills: Craft (alchemy) (Int), Profession ("herbalist") (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).

1st: Addled mind, +1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    2nd: Psychadelic aura, +1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    3rd: Indecipherable, +1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    4th: One with everybody, the furniture is talking, +1 level of arcane spellcasting class
    5th: Un/Real, +1 level of arcane spellcasting class

Proficiencies: Weirders gain proficiency with no weapons or armor.

The following are class features of the weirder.

Addled Mind (Ex): Weirders have trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality, and so do their enemies. Weirders suffer a -4 penalty to Will saves against magical effects of the illusion school. However, they add their weirder level to the Will save DCs of their own illusion spells and magical effects.

Psychadelic Aura (Su): At 2nd level, anyone within a weirder's immediate surroundings sees things begin to distort and change in bizarre ways - changing colors, growing stretched or squashed or bent in odd places, and in general not making sense to the rational mind at all. The weirder exudes a psychadelic aura, with a maximum radius of 5 feet per weirder level; anyone within this range suffers a 20% miss chance with all attacks and a -2 circumstance penalty to attacks, saves, and skill checks. The weirder can expand or contract this aura, extending its radius up to 5 feet per level of weirder, or reducing it to as little as a 5-foot radius. They cannot supress their aura, and if dispelled it remanifests itself as a free action on the weirder's next turn.
    The weirder is immune to the effects of psychadelic auras, his own or another weirder's. Presumably, he's used to seeing the world that way anyway.

Indecipherable (Ex): Weirders are hard to get a hold of with enchantments and compulsions, as their thought processes are so cross-wired that everybody else's assertions seem crazy. At 3rd level, they gain a +4 bonus to Will saves versus mind-affecting and compulsion effects, and are immune to confusion, insanity, and similar spells and effects.

One with Everybody (Ex): At 4th level, a weirder's sense of self becomes so distorted that it encompasses others as well. They can cast spells with a range of "self" upon other creatures by touch.

The Furniture Is Talking (Su): At 4th level, the world around the weirder starts to get a mind of its own. Objects in the weirder's psychadelic aura begin moving of their own accord, as an animate objects spell of caster level equal to the character's weirder levels. (For example, a 4th level weirder's psychadelic aura will animate up to four Small objects, two Medium objects, or one Medium object and two Small objects.) They cannot control which items animate, or what these items do, and the items de-animate once they leave the psychadelic aura. Animated objects have an Intelligence and Charisma score of 10 + weirder level; in general, they will act in the interest of self-preservation and engage in social interaction where inappropriate.

Un/Real (Ex): At 5th level, a weirder's power and mind have become so scrambled by madness that they often cannot distinguish between what is real and what is not; eventually, reality begins to buckle with their perception, treating all magical effects as both illusive AND real at the same time. Weirders may react to any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural effect not originating from themselves as if it were either an illusion or real. If the weirder treats a normally real effect as real, or an illusory effect as illusory, then there is no change in treatment of the magic. However, things get fuzzy when they mix up others' magics.
    If a weirder reacts to an illusion as if real, then for all effects and purposes it IS real for the weirder. An illusory fireball requires a Reflex save to avoid taking full damage, for example, and the illusion of a wall is just as solid as true stone. This can be used to the weirder's advantage - the illusion of a rope will hold a weirder, while other characters could never hope to use it, and a silent image of a bridge spanning a chasm can be trod upon by the weirder as if it were truly there.
    If a weirder reacts to a real magical effect as if illusory, then they may make a Will save to disbelieve the very reality of the magic (they still take a -4 penalty due to their Addled Mind). If the spell usually allows a Reflex or Fortitude save, then a successful Will save is treated as if it were the save usually made for such a spell. (For example, a weirder who disbelieves a fireball and makes their Will save still takes half damage.) The weirder can also make a Will save to disbelieve structures such as a wall of force, a gust of wind, or a symbol; success allows the weirder to ignore them as if they didn't exist at all.
    No matter their addled senses, a weirder always knows which of their spells are real and which are not, and thus can never disbelieve their own non-illusory spells, or treat their own illusions as real.
    Visit Sunny Balmy Exotic Sigil, City of Doors

"Parallel" avatar by idksocrates
    Lady of Pain avatar by ElfLad

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: I reject yer reality and substitute my own![FR

What does FRUIT stand for? ::)
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I got tired of PEACHes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin
    What does FRUIT stand for? ::)
    Fix
    Read
    Upend
    It
    Thanks

And last week, we got a Powermetalist class. This week, we get Pink Floyd. Awesome.

I know it sounds crazy (ha, ha), but I'd almost say that a successful save in Un/Real should negate the effect entirely, when treating a real spell as an illusion.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Delcan
    I got tired of PEACHes.

I get tired of people making tags for their posts and then being to lazy to come up with something for them to stand for. You get an F.

Fax_Celestis, you get a C+ good effort but I think you can do better.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin

I get tired of people making tags for their posts and then being to lazy to come up with something for them to stand for. You get an F.

Fax_Celestis, you get a C+ good effort but I think you can do better.
    First Read Under Incandescent Towels?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

They cannot supress their aura, and if dispelled it remanifests itself as a free action on the weirder's next turn.
    Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled. However, they do become supressed within areas of antimagic.

In general, animated objects will act in the interest of self-preservation and engage in social interaction where inappropriate.
    Maybe toss in some mental stat bonuses beyond the normal effect of animate objects. Mindless constructs tend to do little in the way of social interaction (whether or not it's inappropriate).

Un/Real (Ex): At 5th level, a weirder's power and mind have become so scrambled by madness that they often cannot distinguish between what is real and what is not; eventually, reality begins to buckle with their perception, treating all magical effects as both illusive AND real at the same time.[/quote]
    This seems a bit... much.

I got tired of PEACHes.
    Well, a peach is a type of fruit, so I'm gonna give you one anyway. Along with some pears, apples, oranges, bannanas, and a big ol' mango. ;D

Nice Fear and Loathing reference.
    The Future just ainít what it used to be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

THis is really quite awesome, it doesn't seem unbalened to me at all.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

9. - Top - End - #9

WEIRDER

Special: Must have accomplished at least one of the following:
    -Made friendly contact with a chaotic neutral outsider.
    -Concentrated on a self-induced illusion for at least 3 consecutive days.
    -Overdosed on a hallucinogenic substance.
    -Been subject to insanity, as per the spell.

how about adding "been the subject of a wish spell where they wished to know everything" or (if using the knowledge (forbidden lore) skills) must have maxed olut ranks in knowledge (forbidden lore). the first one seems to be a bit stupid, as no one is feasibly going to wish to know everything, but call it that their mind was blasted from seeing the enormity of the multiverse and realizing that their existance is too small to matter. the second thing could have been that they read too much forbidden knowledge, they were driven insane

Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

10. - Top - End - #10

This is kind of cool. Hallucinary terrain would be kind of funny if he thought of it as real, and everyone else made their will saves...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

For s*its and giggles, the believe/disbelieve choice of the Un/Real should be made by a d4 roll:

1 - wizard believes wrongly, effect behaves as normal
    2 - wizard believes wrongly, effect behavior switched
    3 - wizard believes correctly, effect behaves as normal
    4 - wizard believes correctly, effect behavior switches

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

This is an awesome concept, although I'm not experienced enough to guess if it's balanced. :) I get the feeling it'd be very difficult to play a Weirder well, but it would probably be awesome if handled correctly.
    Ceci n'est pas une sig.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Weird.
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

The usefulness of teating an illusory object as real is only very useful if there is another spellcaster in the party, as they cannot treat their own illsuions as real. So its not that unbalanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

15. - Top - End - #15

It doesn't seem too balanced, but I love the feel of of it. Maybe it should be a little bit patched up and then sent into Dragon Magazine or something; it's flavor is just that awesome.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I really like the "fear and loathing in las vegas" reference. I think that does more to create the flavor of the class than anything else.

if you want to know how to RP one these, just go watch the movie. all will be explained.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm just digging One with Everybody. Finally a class that than tag others with true strike.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

awesome class
    all those people drooling over true strike, this is RP challenge. i doubt that the weirder actually knows anyone exists, let alone realises the potential to cast that...umm..thinggummy about swords and hitting and stuff...what? on other umm...something about protons and atoms, people wizzing...umm.
    /weirder speak
    (well thats how i see it)

what's their hit die?
    d4?

or 2dyellowthingummyspaceshipbadger?
    Disatar is awesome. My namesake below by the ingenious Dr.Bath.
    [Image removed - too large]

Spoiler
    Show

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers
    Originally Posted by Dhavaer
    How many hit points would an earth-sized planet have?
    All of them.

19. - Top - End - #19

An rp challange? This makes the process all the more simple. Do what ou will, ignore the world as the others see it, and steal the show during downtime as comic relief.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Un/Real has so many broken possibilities.

Hmm...

Uh...

Actually, it's a bit tricky. The best I can think of is walking on illusory terrain.
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys
    An rp challange? This makes the process all the more simple. Do what ou will, ignore the world as the others see it, and steal the show during downtime as comic relief.
    you are evil...
    I like you

Spoiler
    Show

Quote:
    All of them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Concerning brokenness: This was something I was indeed trying to be wary of; however, I wasn't as worried about it as I was while making, say, the Bene Gesserit, because anyone who WANTS to take this class is NOT going to do it for the abilities - they're going to do it because they want to play an absolute nutter. This is a dedicated RPing class, and any strange exploits its gets are going to play second fiddle to the fact that one of the party members is a raving loon with an on-again-off-again relationship with reality.

Un/Real, in particular, I wanted to be fairly powerful - after all, the last level of the prestige class needs to be tempting enough to go all the way. However, it's not TOO broken - in essence, it allows a (slightly ganked - check Addled Mind and his all-bad saves) Will save in place of any other save a spell requires, and it lets you use illusions like they're the real thing; if there IS a way to exploit the latter detail that breaks the game, there's probably half a dozen reasons for the DM to veto it.

But if you've got any ideas on how any of these abilities might be broken or exploitable in some way, just make a suggestion. *grin* I'd like to see this class usable in a game without any other argument save for "You want to play WHAT?".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

exactly, this class is awesome.

PcFighter: excellent! Jim's just leveled up in wierder, he can now cast true strike on us!
    Pcs:yes!
    PcFighter:OK jim, cast true strike on me!
    jim: !em no ekirts eurt tsac mij KO

PcFighter:what?
    jim: i said my good man, that that is just one way, JUST ONE WAY of removing the golden bannanaromper from lime custard.
    PcFighter: hes bloody daft
    PcRogue: yeah look, he's talking to a rock

rock: yes i can see the moral implications of your situation

Spoiler
    Show

Quote:
    All of them.

24. - Top - End - #24

Un/real has some interesting implications when combined with veil. For a level 6 spell, the weirder could basically be anything he wants. Now, doesn't help his attacks any... but funny to see him flying around as a dragon or bird, go through walls as a ghost.

You could also walk right over illusionary pits, which is pretty good. Or, with misdirection, you would go over to the misdirected object and actually pick up the real object. O.o

A cool thing you could do is have someone make you a permanent image on you, of a pet. Hi, fluffy!

Another cool thing you can do with it... someone with greater invisibility attacks you. And goes right through you. And repeats multiple times, wondering what the heck is wrong with that person. Alternatively, someone casts invisibility on a wall. "Huh, where'd that wall go? Oh well. *walks straight through it*".

Wonder how magic aura would mix with that. Yet another use? Use cursed items. "Huh? What do you mean these are cursed bracers of armor? They worked fine for me.

Lots of fun stuff to do with that... Yup.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

It's definitely a very cool class, but alas, I think the Weirder made his Will save to disbelieve game balance. If you're playing in a silly-themed campaign to begin with it would be awesome, but in a serious game having a crazy guy around is disruption enough without the very significant power the crazy guy now wields.

26. - Top - End - #26

I don't think it's signifigant. All bad saves, horrible BAB, horrible hitdice, and horrible saves all aroud. Plus, I'm not sure, but I don't think they get skills.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

At level 7 (wizard 5/weirder 2), anything attacking them in melee has -2 to attack and a 20% miss chance, as a continuous magical effect. Then after they whiff, the weirder backs up and casts an illusion spell against which they suffer -2 to their save roll vs. a save DC at +2. That's not significant? This guy is powerful and uncontrollable--it's like Frenzied Berserker for illusionists.

28. - Top - End - #28

For one, it affects your allies as well. Second, it's illusion spells ONLY.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

*assigns skill points & steals*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Over 25 posts, and I am the only one who thought it was necessary to point out the Dead Ale Wives reference. I'm attacking the darkness! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee.
    I'll race you to the top of the spire.

HOW TO ROLL ON THE FORUM SITE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Orlove View Post
    For example: [roll=Spot ]1d20+5[/roll ] would show up (without the extra spaces) as a normal roll.
    There's also [rollv=NameOfRoll]xdy+z[/rollv] which will show you all the individual rolls, eg: [rollv=strength ]4d6[/rollv ] gives you 4 rolls, and their sum.
    [roll=strength ]4d6b3[/roll ] gives you the best 3 of the 4 rolls