New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heroes IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Heroes IC 2

Sipping a popular alcoholic beverage in this downtime at his father's summer home at Castle White, Edwick The Magnificent, Sorus and Bucketsast wait for some new adventure, plot hook, or chance at random derring-do. Finally, one of the couriers comes with a list of strange events.

Disappearances the world over are at an all time high, specifically around Gabinton and Port White.

An ancient and anachronistic religious group known as the cult of The Rose has been revived recently. While before its followers were incapable of drawing divine power from their god, now a few have been performing miracles.

Haren Mall has seen it fit to buy out two warring plots of land well out of his sphere of influence, and holding a banquet there in two. There's definitely something going on there- Mall always has his hands in important things.

There's been a recent surge of abominations from the depths of the sea and earth, attacking cities and the like. Not too many, but still a lot.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes IC 2

Bastet

"It's going to have to be either the Rose Cult or crashing Mall's banquet soiree, and I don't have to argue any other two ways about it."

A little haughty, very bossy, but usually polite, the black leonine figure of Bastet (You haven't gotten the familiarity to call her Bast yet) drains a glass of, get this, water from whatever perch she's on. I say perch because, in a rare showing of a decidedly feline behavior, the bardess is fond of sitting someplace higher up above others. This may be hard given that the climes were intended for halflings, but if she can get away with it without looking foolish she is. Otherwise she's reclined back in a chair as deep as she can.

Anywho...

Normally she would be playing music until the cows came home but with action finally presented to her she's much more verbose. Making sure her gray and scarlet garments are straight, she pauses only for a moment after before continuing.

"Edwick, while I'm sure you'd love to go monster slaying, by now that this information has reached us, I imagine scores of slayers of various ilks are converging at the sea to slay abominations or whatever squid has started to spook the local fishermen. The cult on the other hand, may be sitting on something of great legacy or import historically, and if they've all of a sudden gleaned newfound powers I myself find it prudent to investigate. Mall, I'm not sure about, but there's a chance he's decided to squat on something similar as well. You can't call whatever he's up to normal, I would say. And while I see equal opportune in each circumstance I would toss my lot in with the Roses. It bears more scrutiny than whatever schemes an old goat is up to... But let us have discourse. Which of these two should we consider?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorus

"I do agree with you Bastet, the Cult of the Rose seems to be the best path."

Sorus sits rigidly with his companions, slowly sipping a glass of fine elven red. His expression is stern almost to harshness and even though he is no particular distance from the others he seems somehow removed from the group by the coldness of his manner. As usual he hasn't been particularly talkative this evening though the news seems to have energized him in some way.

"Of the four possible options only the Cult of the Rose seems particularly interesting. If a cult that has been noted for its lack of any magical ability seems to have gained access to some source of magic, that is truly interesting. We should investigate this occurrence for it could have a multitude of causes, they could have attracted the notice of a heretofore unknown deity or demonic entity, or in the best case may have discovered a magical artifact that could be useful to study. While as Bastet says Mall is probably up to something I believe that this cult is far more important."
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edwick the Magnifique

Edwick slouches restfully in his chair, leant back against one of the polished wooden arms with his feet over the other, a glass of sparkling white wine gripped lightly in his left. As the conversation turns to adventure, he pulls his fringe out of his eyes and waves his glass energetically, excited by the prospect of a new quest.

"Capital idea!" he shouts, "No doubt, this insidious cult is behind the swarms of abominations and the disappearances! They must be conducting rituals dark and old and wyrd, communing with an ancient eldritch entity. But I am definitely the man to stop their evil!"

He leaps up from his chair, summoning his gnomish butler with a wild sweeping of his arms.
    "Mr Ermingpepper! Prepare my adventuring gear, and wake the stablehands! And send an RSVP to that invitation Mall sent father. Tell him..."
    He looks thoughtful for a moment.
    "Tell him I'm coming. It's not for a few days, and I might have finished off this cult by the banquet begins. I doubt they're any match for me. I do like a party after an adventure." He looks towards the other two. "I think that's decided then. We must stop this cult! Let's get going to... um, to..."

He looks puzzled.

"Where should I go?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet the Annoyed

"You... were invited to Mall's party?"

The cat girl looks over at Edwick intently after avoiding a spit take preceding her question. She then gives Sorus a quick conspiratorial glance...

"Hmm...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geography check to see which is closer: (1d20+6)[10]
    Perhaps one of these can be investigated en route to the other...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mall's party is by Port White, which is a mere boat ride away. The cult of the Rose is situated you don't know where.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet

Bast reclines, further in thought all of a sudden.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, time to use BARDIC KNOWLEDGE to see if I can recollect any hang outs these cult hoodlums favor:(1d20+13)[30]

8. - Top - End - #8

Edwick the Partytastic

Edwick looks puzzled for a moment.
    "Well, of course I was invited. Or should I say, the family was. I thought everyone had been. Actually, I was quite expecting to take Miss Annabelle, you know, Lord Arthcroft's daugher. Although, that might have been to Lady Denholm's ball..."
    He turns to the butler.
    "Ermingpepper! What has father written in the social diary?"
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-17 at 07:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet the Mildly Upset

"Oh buckets, I've gotten him good and started..." she remarks to the third member of the trio, regardless if he's listening or not.

"Edwick... EDWICK! I'm sure your Annabelle is lovely and diminutive and all, but please focus. It's occurred to me that we could be able to investigate both. I may be grasping at straws but the Rose cult operates near the party and we'd be passing by anyway..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ermingpepper steps in, desultory. "Your father has forbidden you from peeking into his social diary ever since the Gabinton missionary incident. If you want to know, I advise you ask him yourself." He bows, and hurriedly leaves.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorus

Yes Bastet, that seems the best course of action, we can investigate the machinations of this cult and whatever political manipulation Mall is up to. Sounding slightly exasperated he adds And Edwick can go to his party.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

12. - Top - End - #12

Edwick the Munificent

"Huzzah! I do like a good banquet. So... now what? Shall I get my good suit laundered?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check, time on Edwick! ..Or if this is more diplomacy just take one off the score: (1d20+9)[11] or if he'd totally buy this anyway, just proceed per normal.

"Hoo.... Yes. Sure, why not? Arrange for attire for the both of us--but I'm picking my final outfit-- as well. Surely you're the best suited--aheh-- for that matter of dire import." So shooing at him with her free hand, Bast eyes Sorus again. This hopefully will get the little social busy-body our of her fur long enough to discuss with Sorus how they'll plan their approach... from behind the charming public face of the halfling. She inwardly wished Edwick needed not this sort of casual steering in terms of manipulation; it went against her nom de geur something awful, but at least this time it would put him in a place of importance.

Half the time she couldn't get near high and powerful social gatherings. She made a note to include at least a single positive remark about the Magnificent should he prove capable of this matter.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20-2)[-1] including the -5 penalty "target wants to believe you".
    NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A SENSE MOTIVE CHECK.

Edwick claps his hands together merrily. "I shall get right on it! If I'm needed, send a page to fetch me."
    With this, he scurries off to his wardrobe chamber. Whilst on the journey, he decides to pay a visit to his father in the lower chambers.

"Father, is there anything in the diary about this banquet Haren Mall has arranged? Is the family due to appear?" He scratches his head. "Wait... who IS Haren Mall?"
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-19 at 08:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

A cleaning lady in Edwick's father's study sighs, and walks over to him, talking in a condescending tone. "Your father is not here, he's back in Anluatia. Haren Mall is the current ruler of Port White. Now you go back and talk with your friends, ok dearie? I'll fetch you some tea."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet

Meanwhile...

Getting up from her seat and across the room to the doorway, an extra precaution to know when Edwick shall return, Bastet finally gives Sorus a direct look, ready to converse.

"Well? What have you to say about this? Edwick risks being useless to us in this endeavor if he's getting his magical glass slippers and ball gown ready for the regalia unless we steer him properly." Bast sighs, rubbing her temples, "Worser still, I don't really see either of us as socialites; the rarity that I attend one of these things I'm typically hired for performing. And we don't even know what Mall's possible goals could be for any of this if they even at all hide some sinister force. Only that he's acquired property for all I know has a splendid view, or a stocked wine cellar. But if there is a chance it's of some value of knowledge, and he seeks to cover it..."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorus

"Edwick will be a problem, I have a feeling that if the halfling gets into a party, any party, he will be even less likely to be constructive. Even if we do get access to Malls party, which seems unlikely without an invite, I have a feeling that someone of Malls demonstrated cunning won't be advertising his schemes to general party goers." Sorus remarks, clearly thinking about the problem. Personally I'm singularly unsuited for blending in with vapid socialites like those that end up going to gatherings such as these. What seems to me the greater problem though it how to trace the revitalized cult of the Rose, organizations of this nature tend to be rather secretive and like to dissuade casual investigation.

Hmm, though I have an idea of how to make use of Edwick, he's just the kind of person to be taken in by cult like teachings. He could pretend to become a member of the cult and we could use him as an In to conduct out investigations.

18. - Top - End - #18

Edwick the... Sly?

"Ooh, yes please!" Edwick claps his hands together merrily. "Can you bring up some of those little currant things, what are they? Figgins? Toasted, if you'd be so kind."

He walks into the corridor, and waits for her to leave. Maybe there'll be a copy of the invitation in Father's desk... come to think of it, maybe Father might've had some dealings with this Mall fellow.

Spoiler
    Show

I'd like to search the study to see if I can find anything related to Haren Mall - an invitation, any business documents, illicit loveletters between Garrelon Moorcastle and Mall's wife, anything...
    SEARCH:(1d20+5)[21]

Also, in case you want them, a Hide and Move Silently check:
    HIDE:(1d20+7)[24]
    MOVE SILENTLY:(1d20+9)[21]

You know, just in case the servants have been told to stop me or something.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The maid sighs, nods, and leaves.

Edwick ends up finding some dry, old papers, which may or may not be interesting if he had the mental acuity to actually read them, but in the end there's nothing on Mall.

20. - Top - End - #20

Edwick the Vaguely Literate

Edwick scans the papers he has found. Satisfied that they did, in fact, contain words, he takes them upstairs to show the others. He enters the solar, sits in a chair and carefully examines each of the documents in turn, frowning slightly as he does so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Edwick begins to read, but quickly his mind wanders. It's mostly shipping orders, business proposals, trade stuff. No juicy gossip or partying. It's also mostly out of date, because his father hasn't been here in a while.

22. - Top - End - #22

Edwick the Sociable

Impatient for his toasted figgins, and bored of reading, Edwick decides to question the castle staff about Haren Mall and the Cult of the Rose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information:(1d20+7)[27]

NATURAL TWENTY! WOO!
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-20 at 08:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the mansion's staff doesn't know much about Mall- he's over a hundred by now, a human, rarely comes out in public, the most powerful man in the world, and always about 50 steps ahead of any of his competitors- he's that savvy.
    None of them, however, know anything about the Rose- except one. A maid tells you one of her friends used to be a member.

24. - Top - End - #24

Edwick attempts to get more information about of the cult out of the maid using his unique charm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy:(1d20+9)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

The maid looks flustered and annoyed. "I don't know anything about the cult, you'll have to ask her. She lives in Port White."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Bastet

"Eugh. Edwick as a cultist is not something I would wish upon my worst enemies--except Lygado worshipers--. Let's be honest, can we really trust that he would be capable of resisting their siren call? Or assuming he DID, that they would tolerate them? No, we can't have him join but we could still use him as a front. If I know cults--and I do-- they're desperate for money and influential backing. Edwick has a father that fits that description. What I would suggest is that we let Edwick have his party, witness whatever the blazes Mall is up to and chronicle it for later, and therefore catch Edwick in a good mood. Thereby, we'll be able to easier convince him to act as if he'd be willing to throw gobs of money to the cultists, and investigate behind his small, squat back..."

Bast keeps and ear perked, wary of saying anything else aloud that Edwick may take the wrong way...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[22]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You can hear him, far in the distance, talking to the maid, but you know he probably can't hear you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorus

"That sounds like a good plan, now we've just got to convince Edwick to stop interrogating the staff and get to preparing to leave."

29. - Top - End - #29

Edwick, still impatient for his toasted figgins, asks the maid for directions to her friend the ex-cultist's house.

Spoiler
    Show
    Where's my figgin! I want my hot, toasted figgin!
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-22 at 07:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The maid gives you some jumbled, contradictory directions relying on knowing the area well, and hurriedly leaves before you can get a word in edgewise. Still no figgins.