New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mundane Magic/Player Characters

I'm kinda on the outs of the RPG scene, but I was wondering:

Are there many games/settings where players can choose to be classes that aren't primarily concerned with, as the old phrase goes, Killing monsters and taking their stuff?

One example I know of is the Stone Master from Rifts (World Book 2: Atlantis). He has some combat magic, but was primarily focused on building with and shaping stone.

I was thinking of magic items, and I was suddenly struck with how bloody useful it would be if you would enchant certain tools the same way you do weapons. Imagine, if you will, a +3 Shovel of Excavation: enchanted with digging and strength-enhancing spells, able to say, dig out a 3x3x3 hole with every scoop.

This of course, led me to the idea of a setting element, of a village or small town that's as well-constructed and protected as a major city. You see, there was a powerful magician or mage-smth who, tired of making weapons, retired there. To help the people out, he made a number of magic tools to help them build their town, such as the aforementioned shovel, a kiln that can turn blocks of dirt (or wood) to hard stone, farming tools that bless the land they work with increased fertility, stuff like that.
    Last edited by SAMAS; 2009-06-17 at 03:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mundane Magic/Player Characters

Well, for starters there would be the vast multitude of games that do not use a class system at all.
    In a system where characters are defined via skills, not classes, everyone is free to pick non-combat/dungeoneering relevant abilities as they please.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll