New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default kneeling in combat

I know that kneeling in combat gives you +2 to your AC against ranged attacks, but I thought it also gave a bonus to ranged attacks because of the greater stabilization. Is that true? If not, is there an ability that does that?
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: kneeling in combat

You take a longbow

and try squatting and then firing

that did NOT make it easier.

But i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of thing you could do to munchkin your way to a +2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    You take a longbow

and try squatting and then firing

that did NOT make it easier.

But i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of thing you could do to munchkin your way to a +2
    Crossbow? Ray spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    I know that kneeling in combat gives you +2 to your AC against ranged attacks, but I thought it also gave a bonus to ranged attacks because of the greater stabilization. Is that true? If not, is there an ability that does that?
    Not according to this table. Note that you get -2 AC to melee attacks too when kneeling. You don't get a bonus while prone either, which would give even more stability. (Although this obviously only applies to crossbows) Personally, I would also rule that when kneeling, longbows are out, although shortbows should be OK. Hmm, +2 to hit kneeling, +4 to hit prone (provided weapon is usable). Would that be too much?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's take a look here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/com...ableConditions

This table lacks any mention of a bonus gained for kneeling, so I guess there is none. And, I've not heard of any such ability existing. I don't believe there is any rule to support it.

Damn Ninja.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2009-06-17 at 08:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
    Not according to this table. Note that you get -2 AC to melee attacks too when kneeling. You don't get a bonus while prone either, which would give even more stability. (Although this obviously only applies to crossbows) Personally, I would also rule that when kneeling, longbows are out, although shortbows should be OK. Hmm, +2 to hit kneeling, +4 to hit prone (provided weapon is usable). Would that be too much?
    I would think that's a bit much. If you want to give more for prone I would only give +1 for kneeling and +2 to prone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by talus21 View Post
    I would think that's a bit much. If you want to give more for prone I would only give +1 for kneeling and +2 to prone.
    Sounds better to me, too. Charging only grants as much as a +2 in melee. Higher ground only gives a +1.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Crossbow? Ray spells?
    Using a crossbow while squatting would result in you shifting to prone position pretty quickly.