New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default 3.0/3.5 Ghostwalk

Has anyone used the sourcebook "Ghostwalk"? It seems interesting, but I'm wondering how easily it would be to use a Eidolon or Eidoloncer in an otherwise living campaign.
    I'd like opinions both using and not using the "No Calling" variant mentioned on page 12.

Also, how does Eidoloncer compare to a straight-up (or slightly multiclassed) Wizard?

Edit: to clarify my edition: It's a 3.0 book I'm looking at, but I'm thinking of incorporating it into a 3.5 campaign.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2009-06-18 at 07:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.0/3.5 Ghostwalk

IIRC, it increases spellcasting every level except the first. So it should work more or less OK.

Ghostwalk was one of the best supplements of 3rd Edition (IMHO). Shame it never got updated to 3.5.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

IMHO, there's nothing in Goshtwalk you can't update for 3.5.

Just a thing: if you have access to splatbooks about Yuan-ti like serpent kindoms, and about Demons (like BoVD or FCII) could be useful to improve you monsters.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Would a ghost wearing ghost-touch weapons or armor be able to use them to impact a corporeal person? Or is there a weapon augment to do that?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Would a ghost wearing ghost-touch weapons or armor be able to use them to impact a corporeal person? Or is there a weapon augment to do that?
    Yes, they can hit corporeal targets.

From the SRD:
    A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2009-06-18 at 12:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ghostwalk is one of my favorite supplements. We've used it in several 3.5 games, and it's pretty easy to update. Our fighter kept getting killed by save-or-dies, so she finally just came back as an eidolon following Path of the Traveler and a Flesh fixation for the entrails of her enemies. I'm sure it's quite intimidating to have have a semi-corporeal thing of Gruesome appearance come flying at you with a burning weapons of death... of course, I can only speak from watching the horror on their faces. I was playing a Dwarf Cleric/Deathwarden Chanter with a modified Death domain, which granted undead destroying spells in place of the undead creation spells (actual death domain instead of semi-undeath domain). My character thought our ghost fighter was "an unnatural abomination" that should pass on to the afterlife, and he refused to aid her in any way unless not helping would get them all killed.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a pretty solid 3.0 supplement for a DM. The fluff is excellent, and the Ghost options make a Ghost-centric campaign much more fun. Unfortunately, few PCs will be able to eat the +5 level adjustment for the Ghost template, making most of the Ghostwalk crunch inaccessible to them. A nice DM might let them use the level adjusted version, though.

Notable non-Ghost feats:

Education: Makes all Knowledge Skills are class Skills. Useful for qualifying for PrC. I also think it's been reprinted elsewhere in 3.5.

Extra Wild Shape: Gives you 2 more Wild Shape uses per day.

Forceful Staff Style: Poor man's Knockback. Lets you use Stunning Fist with a Quarterstaff, and gives you a free Bull Rush when you successfully do so. Although Monk builds are very troublesome, this has it's use with certain builds. For example, a nice DM will let you combine it with Pharoah's Fist (Sandstorm) which let's you use Stunning Fist for everyone in a 5 ft burst of your enemy, theoretically allowing you to Bull Rush all of them with one hit.

Power Lunge: You add *2 your Str bonus to damage when you charge (instead of *1.5 or *1) regardless of whether you use a one or two handed weapon. Very useful when combined with Headlong Rush and/or Pounce. You provoke an AoO from the enemy you Charged, which is not such a big deal with a reach weapon (or Karmic Strike and/or a King of Smack build).

Wise to Your Ways: Allows you to apply your Favored Enemy bonus to Saves against Supernatural, Spell-like, and Extraordinary abilities from that Favored Enemy. Very useful when applied to Favored Enemy: Arcanist (Complete Mage) or Favored Enemy: Evil (Stalker of Kharash, BoED).

There's also the Deathwarden. While a bit over complicated, this full divine caster progression PrC has some nifty abilities.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is a Dragon template for ghosts called "Sagacious". It has no +LA and it gives is Bardic Knowledge equal to your character's HD. Depending on the DM, you could also ask about swapping out Knowledge for Knack. Just a little info in case you end up running a Ghostwalk character.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    It's a pretty solid 3.0 supplement for a DM. The fluff is excellent, and the Ghost options make a Ghost-centric campaign much more fun. Unfortunately, few PCs will be able to eat the +5 level adjustment for the Ghost template, making most of the Ghostwalk crunch inaccessible to them. A nice DM might let them use the level adjusted version, though.
    Ghosts in Ghostwalk are not undead. They are outsiders. There is a level adjustment +0 template for Ghostwalk ghosts in the front of the book, because they are different from normal ghosts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

My setting has lingering dead spirts, which are fey and not undead.
    I really have to dig out ghostwalk and apply the rules to them. ^^

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Ghostwalk WAS updated to 3.5:
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a

It, like Monster Manual II, was released right before the changeover so they made the update a free download.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that Ghostwalk WAS updated to 3.5:
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a
    http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030607a

It, like Monster Manual II, was released right before the changeover so they made the update a free download.
    See, I was GOING to say this, but I kept myself from being ninja'd by reading the thread.

LEARN FROM THIS, PEOPLE.

This is all. :D
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.