A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Let's make a Videogame! a call to arms for old time's sake

Hey! Remember a thread, a long while ago, where we got together and started to lay the foundations for a videogame? I remember. I also remmeber it was gonna be awesome.
    I bring this up because not only do I finally have the free time to log in again, but also because I've been reading a handful of game design articles and have done some thinking of my own. about the game.
    I think I have some good ideas for innovation on the dreaded Karma bar, but then again, you guys always seemed to be better than me on this.
    I want to see if I can get the old squad together again, I'm gonna try to track you down. One by one. You thought you were out, but here I am, dragging you back in.

Also, if you're creative or know a good artist, send me a Private Message and share your ideas with me. I promise not to rip you off. We were thinking of making an action rpg (none of that turn-based nonsense) in which the protagonist was a warrior inquisitor working for a centralized church on a ruined wild-westian world. I was thinking of our big innovation being a creative and even anime-ish gunswordplay gameplay and a complex moral system. But then again, I'm sure you have great ideas too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-44 A.K.A. The Angel of Retribution A.K.A. The Angel of Revenge A.K.A Angel of Death

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Let's make a Videogame! a call to arms for old time's sake

Black Pants reporting in.

If I remember correctly we were going to have a Mass Effect-esque dialog system.
    Last edited by SilverSheriff; 2009-06-19 at 02:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think there was a cowboy along the line.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4

the protagonist was a warrior inquisitor working for a centralized church on a ruined wild-westian world.
    Sounds interesting. Is this inquisitor on missionary duty, trying to bring religion to the masses -- whether they want it or not -- by kicking the church's enemies in the face?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I think it was kicking the chruch of chaos or the lawful half of the God.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

6. - Top - End - #6

ElfPirate

the world was going to be a world split in 2; one half was to be wild western and the other was going to be Medieval-esque. the God of the world was going to be vengeful on the Medieval side and forgiving on the Western. you had a choice of picking your origin ala: Mass Effect except it was going to be to a large extent. The protagonists was going to have an eastern European name thats hard to pronounce so it was open to interpretation.

7. - Top - End - #7

Welcome, Black_Pants_Guy!
    And, ImmortalAer, your forum looks kind of nice. I'll be sure to make a thread in the design area, but I think most of the action will take place here until we can get the old team back together. I'll make sure to post a link.

Also, to whom it may concern, I've got this concept in my mind of multiple slidebars. You see, today's videogames Fail when it comes to moral choices because they tend to boil ethics to Save Kitty-Eat Kitty descicions. Which aren't really moral choices as much as they are choices between basic human decency and psicopathy. My idea is to have many (up to ten) different areas that change according to the player's choices. I would also like to make the choices less obvious and more complex, so that you may move different slidebars in one action.
    But I'll go into more detail on the Playground Studios design subforum.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-44 A.K.A. The Angel of Retribution A.K.A. The Angel of Revenge A.K.A Angel of Death

8. - Top - End - #8

Why the whole "world split in two" angle? Surely technological advances, cultural and social trends and everything else would -- at the very least -- have bled over between the two halves? Unless of course the two halves were isolated and transportation between the two was only recently possible -- or at the very least, popular -- in which case I can understand why they'd both be separated from each other due to the relative newness of contact between the two areas.

Also, the forgiving/vengeful god split sounds like yet another case of "good vs evil". Where's the shades of grey? I suppose, however, if the "vengeful" god was stern but fair and the "forgiving" god far too accepting of sinners ("Sorry dude, didn't mean it." "That's okay. As long as you know you did wrong." "Same time tomorrow."), I could see how -- especially if the two cultures were at the very least affected by how they saw their god -- each side would decide the other side was wrong.

For example, if the Medieval side revolved around justice -- sure you were treated like scum if you were a criminal, but at least it was fair treatment -- then its inhabitants might look at the Western side and think "Those guys are morons! That serial killer murdered a few hundred people, but because he blubbed in court they got let off with a slap on the wrist!"

(Granted, said "slap on the wrist" might consist of a bullet to the head rather than prolonged torture carried out by the families of their victims, but to people on the Medieval side that would be letting him off easily.)

Edit: Ninja'd by Alex. Heh.

My idea is to have many (up to ten) different areas that change according to the player's choices.
    I remember a mod for Baldur's Gate 2 called Virtue. Since the basic game monitored "Reputation" (How NPCs viewed you because of your actions) but didn't change your alignment except at specific points -- where, I believe, the only way was down at speed -- Virtue was created to track your party's actual "goodness".

Thus, it was possible to do bad things if nobody saw you without losing Reputation. Virtue, on the other hand...
    Last edited by Blayze; 2009-06-19 at 11:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hey, there were other people involved in this. And it's still pretty preliminary.

I've always been intrigued by how civilized places like Britain, France or Spain had these horribly barbaric colonies all over the world. In my mind, there should be a small cultural buffer zone between the edge of the world and the center of civilization, and it should be that buffer zone the one that has the most forgiving god while the others cannot afford to look weak. (but that's only a concept of mine)
    Part of the point of the game is that, at the en of the day, they're both the same god, it's just that their followers insist on their own self-righteousness and insist on dividing him. In other words, gods don't kill people, people do.
    In the name of God.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I remember a mod for Baldur's Gate 2 called Virtue. Since the basic game monitored "Reputation" (How NPCs viewed you because of your actions) but didn't change your alignment except at specific points -- where, I believe, the only way was down at speed -- Virtue was created to track your party's actual "goodness".

Thus, it was possible to do bad things if nobody saw you without losing Reputation. Virtue, on the other hand...
    Well, yes. Part of the game will be based on the principle of Integrity being what you do when no one's looking. It would be entirely possible to be a whealthy landlord with sons all over the world but still be a snobbish Holier-than-thou aristocrat. At least, I think it would add a lot of depth and maybe even make the player feel a little guilt.
    Last edited by alexeduardo; 2009-06-19 at 11:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

I have posted on the other forum

please register there, I feel safer in such an empty forum that in here.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I've joined, I'm GenoKnight on there, just to let you know.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

12. - Top - End - #12

If you guys need an artist for some of the concept art/design, I could probably help some. Not too great with computers as I'm more of a traditional medium kinda' girl, and my computer is a horrible piece of horrible as it is.

But you're project sounds very interesting though, keep me posted.

My giantitp art thread lives here and my deviantart lives here here
    Last edited by Kara Kuro; 2009-06-19 at 04:42 PM.

Has a NEW new art thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    "Rule 1: If it doesn't have obvious boobies, it's male."
    - "A Guide to Kara" by Nameless.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kuro View Post
    If you guys need an artist for some of the concept art/design, I could probably help some. Not too great with computers as I'm more of a traditional medium kinda' girl, and my computer is a horrible piece of horrible as it is.

But you're project sounds very interesting though, keep me posted.

My giantitp art thread lives here and my deviantart lives here here
    We'd be more than happy to welcome you. Please send more of your drawings to me via PM. We're looking for a Neo-dark art style here. I think your style of anime-ity could work, if maybe you'd get depressed
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Sounds interesting. Is this inquisitor on missionary duty, trying to bring religion to the masses -- whether they want it or not -- by kicking the church's enemies in the face?
    There is a distinction between an inquisitor and a missionary.

One is about destroying evil (whatever that means according to his religion) and the other is does more proselytizing.

The image that comes to mind is a guy who gathers information and kills the enemies of his church. He might proselytize, but I hardly see it as being the main focus of a professional Inquisitor.

15. - Top - End - #15

This looks interesting...
    Sign me up, I am generally best at making lists and other crunch.
    I will PM the OP.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm relatively good at level design. I'll sign up for some design position, as long as it's an action game (or action/rpg).

I've used the Torque game builder engine and the Unreal toolset, and I learn new engines quickly. I can't do a whole lot of scripting though, I know a little but not enough to do anything of significance.

However, before I do anything I need to know just what it is we're creating here. I'm not talking about worlds or mythoses or stories, I'm talking about mechanics. First of all, are we doing side scroller, top-down, 2.5D, or 3D? For 2.5 or 3D is it overhead, over-the-shoulder, or first person? For the first two, is camera fixed or rotatable (although rotating camera with 2.5D is suicide) I can do all of them, though 3D takes at least ten times as long as any other.

What's the combat system like, turn-based or real time? What's the mechanics of combat, stat based (most RPGs), item based (most FPSs), luck based (tabletop), or aim based (other FPSs, only works with firearms and other projectiles)?

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I can come up with answers to any or all of these if you'd like me to. My experience is mostly in top-down and 2.5D games, both fixed camera. I loathe turn based combat, and prefer a statless system whose combat is weapon based. As for stories, I much prefer dynamic storytelling rather than static, IE zero railroading. If you shoot a guy, he's dead and the story proceeds with him dead. If you let him live he continues to live. My games' stories are flowcharts, not novels.
    Last edited by R. Malcovitch; 2009-06-19 at 08:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Created an account and posted stuff on forum.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-19 at 08:48 PM.

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any free game makers that I can get? I don't do game levels, but if I put my mind (and my summer) into it, I might help more with the game. Otherwise, I'm going to do concepts.
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show

and current made by me.

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm relatively good at level design. I'll sign up for some design position, as long as it's an action game (or action/rpg).
    Action rpg is about right. I would like to see some prototype levels with bandits, small imps, giant gargoyles and whatnot, go crazy.

I've used the Torque game builder engine and the Unreal toolset, and I learn new engines quickly. I can't do a whole lot of scripting though, I know a little but not enough to do anything of significance.
    Well, we are gonna need to find a good scripter, eventually. Do you know anyone on the algorythm business?

However, before I do anything I need to know just what it is we're creating here. I'm not talking about worlds or mythoses or stories, I'm talking about mechanics. First of all, are we doing side scroller, top-down, 2.5D, or 3D? For 2.5 or 3D is it overhead, over-the-shoulder, or first person? For the first two, is camera fixed or rotatable (although rotating camera with 2.5D is suicide) I can do all of them, though 3D takes at least ten times as long as any other.
    3D single-player action rpg. I was thinking of a camera more or less like what KOTOR has, maybe a little less roamy for the big elaborate gun-kata battles (you've heard of Devil May Cry, I hope)

What's the combat system like, turn-based or real time? What's the mechanics of combat, stat based (most RPGs), item based (most FPSs), luck based (tabletop), or aim based (other FPSs, only works with firearms and other projectiles)?
    Well, I'd like there to be a Devil May Cry-like combat system, maybe even borrow something from (dare I say?) Ninja Gaiden. But I would also like there to be the possibility to play the game as some sort of Gears of War-esque shooter.

I loathe turn based combat,
    As for stories, I much prefer dynamic storytelling rather than static, IE zero railroading.
    If you shoot a guy, he's dead and the story proceeds with him dead.
    My games' stories are flowcharts, not novels.
    Good god man, just ask me to marry you already. This are all good things, we should all try to work from this perspective. If you promise to follow these priciples, you shall be welcomed into the team.
    Last edited by alexeduardo; 2009-06-19 at 11:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Okay, so lets see what we have.
    We were thinking of making an action rpg (none of that turn-based nonsense) in which the protagonist was a warrior inquisitor working for a centralized church on a ruined wild-westian world. I was thinking of our big innovation being a creative and even anime-ish gunswordplay gameplay and a complex moral system.
    So, Wild West/Medieval Europe with hints of Japan

If I remember correctly we were going to have a Mass Effect-esque dialog system.
    Don't know too much about this.
    I think there was a cowboy along the line.
    Wild West.

the world was going to be a world split in 2; one half was to be wild western and the other was going to be Medieval-esque. the God of the world was going to be vengeful on the Medieval side and forgiving on the Western. you had a choice of picking your origin ala: Mass Effect except it was going to be to a large extent. The protagonists was going to have an eastern European name thats hard to pronounce so it was open to interpretation.
    Eielan? Random hard to pronounce.gender neutral name. Still, I thought that the player would pick a name or something.
    My idea is to have many (up to ten) different areas that change according to the player's choices. I would also like to make the choices less obvious and more complex, so that you may move different slidebars in one action.
    Slidebars? Sidebars?

Sounds good.
    We're looking for a Neo-dark art style here.
    What would this be?
    Action rpg is about right. I would like to see some prototype levels with bandits, small imps, giant gargoyles and whatnot, go crazy.
    It appears that there is no magic/monsters, so bandits, etc.
    Well, we are gonna need to find a good scripter, eventually. Do you know anyone on the algorythm business?
    Not really here. At least none who would bbe motivated enough.
    3D single-player action rpg. I was thinking of a camera more or less like what KOTOR has, maybe a little less roamy for the big elaborate gun-kata battles (you've heard of Devil May Cry, I hope)

Well, I'd like there to be a Devil May Cry-like combat system, maybe even borrow something from (dare I say?) Ninja Gaiden. But I would also like there to be the possibility to play the game as some sort of Gears of War-esque shooter.
    Sounds good.

I loathe turn based combat,
    As for stories, I much prefer dynamic storytelling rather than static, IE zero railroading.
    If you shoot a guy, he's dead and the story proceeds with him dead.
    My games' stories are flowcharts, not novels.
    Good.

Lawful-Free Spirit (also known as chaotic)

Some people associate "chaotic" with evil, therefore I propose we replace it with a more accessible term. Note that lawful doesn't necessarily mean "Good", but it does help your image with your superiors as well as with your inferiors. Suppose that you're ordered to torture someone; if you do it, you will probably get a promotion and gain access to better gear, not to mention that a higher rank will mean more respect and less problems, but then again, torture is wrong and you'll probably gain guilt. (unless this is a routine thing for your character in which case you'd end up as a rationalized psychopath of some sort or another)
    Huh.

Aristocrat-Populist

The word aristocrat, in its purest form, refers to putting those that are better in charge. an Aristocrat character would make the assumption that the town sheriff is smarter, since he's in charge and take his word that a local thief got drunk and stole a Government goat. Whilst a Populist will first talk to the people of the town and find out that the sheriff himself took the goat and sold it to the Barbarians (I'm just throwing out concepts here). What would be more interesting would be to see an Aristocrat learn of the Sheriff's crime but still punish the local thief, thinking that the Frontier territories cannot afford to have the church's authority undermined.
    I suppose that an Aristocrat would be a better fighter against common bandits and lower-class people, while a Populist will actually be aided by them and might end up banding a small (or large?) army together to fight the demonic horde. (did I mention the demonic horde?)
    interesting.

Meritocrat-Politician
    This should be pretty obvious. A meritocrat would be someone that only seems to advance over large stretches of time, while a Politician talks and bribes his way to the top. I have this idea where an old and wrinkled and scarred Meritocrat character might be hateful of a young and fat and short Politician. The difference here is of how you make it to the top of the Holy hierarchy
    Still good.
    Zen- Guilt Ridden (maybe Tormented)
    I suppose that a Zen character would be more affable and easy to deal with, while a Guilt Ridden one would be better at madly unleashing his savage side on the enemies of the church. This is a deeper aspect than any other, I would really like to make it so that a player seeks atonement for something he did, not something he saw on a cut scene.
    ??? We want the character to have as much freedom as possible, so definitely not atoning for something that happened in a CUT SCENE.

Pragmatist - Idealist
    This should also be obvious. A pragmatist will be a cold calculator and will do only what is logical, regardless of any outer emotional input. An Idealist, on the other hand, believes so strongly on his cause that is willing to die for it. I would like for there to be slight game-breaking super-bonuses for highly idealist characters, kind of like a mind-beyond-matter feat or miraculous effort that can be used every once in a while.
    Hmmm.
    Sounds too complicated. I wouldn't have more than 2 bars, and if you steal the system from D&D, it works perfectly. You could have a nice square, with lawfulness on the y axis and goodness on the x axis, for example. Renaming the alignments to avoid similarity with D&D would be an option.

Lawful good------------------Chaotic good

---------X

Lawful evil---------------------Chaotic evil

So it's essentially 2 bars but it gives a nice way to present it (a square with gradients of colour, e.g. blue for l/g, green for c/g, red for l/e and purple for c/e.

I suggest this for two reasons:
    -2 stats makes a lot more sense for programming and "internal" game design purposes, since managing and considering lots of variables will be confusing, if nothing else.
    -All the bars you've given so far are covered with these 2 traits here.
    zen-guilty = lawful-chaotic
    pragmatist-idealist = lawful-chaotic (and ruthless pragmatism/idealism is accounted for by evilness)
    aristocrat-populist: lawful-chaotic
    meritocrat-politician: lawful-chaotic with a splash of good-evil
    I like this.

Anyway, the Idea of talking midbattle isn't a bad idea. However, most of the ones that I can think of right now would count as taunts that might make a enemy fight harder.
    Always good.

Okay, obviously, there should be some class only taunts/sayings that they will use.
    Inquisitor (Lawful):
    "god is not willing to hear your pleas for mercy."
    "Followers of the devil (what some might call the chaotic god), beware! You are not freed from our laws."
    (Chaotic):
    "I don't need any rules to know how to beat you."
    "This is fun!"
    Taunts are good.

On the Gun/Sword weapons.
    Short Sword.
    The standard sword. basic abilities and average weight makes it easy to use and learn.
    Katana.
    A swift and light sword that has only below average power.
    Muramasa (because all games that have a Katana has this. :mrgreen: )
    A vastly more powerful katana. Slowly drains health while in use.
    Pistol.
    standard gun. weak, but fast and accurate.
    Rifle.
    A powerful gun with good range and accuracy. Suffers from long reload time (Cannot fire while gun is reloading. You can use gun as a blunt object however.)
    Sniper Gun.
    A rifle with enhanced range, accuracy and power. The only draw back is long reload rate. (has zoom function.)
    IOf magic does not exist, we should avoid magic weapons. Same for technologically advanced ones.

On Sword and Guns:
    Wait, why are there Japanese weapons in a western-medieval setting?
    Unless is is medieval Japan as opposed to medieval Europe?
    Some Sword Ideas(Both) (Not including previously posted ones.):
    Trainer: Weakest sword, made of wood.
    Claymore: Larger, heavier, slower. 2 hands.
    Longsword: Longer, better in general. Base sword.
    Broadsword: Large, but can be used in 1 hand if trained. Not particularly fast.
    Scimitar: Faster, more accurate.
    Rapier: Much lighter, good against armor.
    Flamberge: Sword made for working well against other swords.
    Greatsword: Like a claymore, but better.
    Cutlass: Like a sscimitar, but with a small defensive bonus.
    Sabre: Better version of broadsword.
    Foil: Very thin and light. Quite weak. Pretty much ignores some armor though.
    Bokken: wooden kantana. Enough said.
    Zweihander: A sword made for countering pole arms. Slowish, but breaks ling weapons/pushes them aside well.
    Vague Katti: Super defensive.
    Falcoin: 1 handed, but can use 2 hands for more power.
    Wakuzashi: Short kantana. Made for fighting while using both.
    [Named Swords]: Excalibur, Ascalon, Balmong, whatever, a magic and/or powerful sword that is one of a kind and named.
    [Magic Swords]: Have a magical spell or whatever effect when used.
    Killing Edge: From Fire Emlem. Great for critical hits.
    Damascus: A better version of a kantana.
    Healing?Blood?: Heals the user when the attack with it.
    Valmanway: From Castlevania. Insanely fast sword.
    Claimh Solias/Sword of Light: Instantly killed most evil things, very powerful, maybe light-based burst affect?

This is always useful too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_swords

As for guns, I have less to say other than the suggestion to remain more focused on less technologically advanced ones, as western technology is not so far. Unless this is not true.
    Same.

I assumed this was a game that has lots of variety. That, or I was thinking slight steampunk.
    MAR GUNS!
    Scatter shot.
    A gun that fires multiple shots at once, but has reduced accuracy. slightly slow reload.
    Shotgun.
    A more powerful scatter shot.
    Handheld Cannon.
    Heavy, slow, but extremely powerful.
    Is it possible for alignment exclusive weapons? Like, Evil has less access to healing weapons, but has more powerful weapons. Good however, has more blessed and healing items.
    I was also thinking of having different types of things that a sword/bullet can be made of.
    Good; same.

Iron.
    Weak, yet cheap metal.
    Steel.
    Stronger than iron, but more expensive and makes heavier swords.
    Diamond/Blessed/Special
    Strongest (not to mention most expensive) of all types. Blessed and some Specials have a bonus to undead/demons.
    Always good. Wooden and weak metals are good such as bronze or rusty iron. We could also take advatage of the types of steel, such as the stong but not too well made European, the weaker but folded like crazy Japanese, and the Middle Eastern Damascus, etc. possibly.

With regard to the setting. I was kind of keen on the idea of having civilization fade away as we enter the desert. With domestic violence and passion murders being more common as we approach the border.
    As for guns, I think that the farther we head into the frontier, the more common they are since people don't have time to mess around with elegant movements, but short knives and scimitars should be pretty common among the numerous bandits. Maybe the more civilized folk think less of the frontiersmen for this?

Also, the taunts are good. Expect for the Chaotic ones, they're kind of obvious. Think more of the Lawful kind, and when you're done think of (slightly) more Robin Hoodian slogans (think witty, sarcastic but still very much zealoty)

I still believe that we should have numerous moral compasses. I hate it when games give you only the Good-Evil choice, it kills all depth and philosophy the game may have and boils it down to choosing between being Armed Jesus and a genocidial demon. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to play a demon, but maybe we should try to be more than the herd. Anyway, that's just what I think.
    This sounds good minus the demon stuff.

In the meantime, i would suggest looking toward the Vote-up a Campaign Setting as to specific points to address in the world itself.

This it what it looks like to me so far:
    Genre: Appears to be western (cowboys?) and medieval (Japan, Europe, both, or more?)

Class System: Does the game have classes? How do they work?

Gameplay Mechanics: Action RPG, I am assuming KotOR or Kingdom Heart? Fable? MMORPGS? Something else? Something completely new and different?

Equipment: How does it work, where is it stored? Weapons, armor, magic, items? Artifacts?

Magic: Does it exist? How does it work? DnD, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc?

Magic Level: important to note. Is there even magic at all? If so, how common is it?

PC Races: Human only?

Human Percentage: Is the setting human-only, or more?

Primary Antagonists: No idea here.

Plot: How does it work? Is it important? I am assuming flow chat style. How easy is it for the player to control?

Geography: One of these? Focus on the two sides?
    Single SuperContinent
    Paired SuperContinents
    Few Large Continents
    Many Small Continents
    Many Large Islands
    Myriad Small Islands
    Something Else

Primary Religion: One Single God?

Cosmology: Most likely one single plane. Unless each side counts separately.

Politics: One of these or something. Law-chaos based?
    Many Large Nations
    Myriad Small Nations
    City-States
    Mixed Large/Small Nations
    Nomadic Cultures

Setting Title: ???

And a whole bunch of stuff about programming the game graphics, etc, that I am not so experienced in.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-20 at 08:53 AM.

Yes.

21. - Top - End - #21

Okay, Llama. Here goes.

Genre: I think it would be nice to truly mix both european and japanese cultures. Imagine that some sort of cultural missionaries arrived at both places and teached them of their world. In old westenrs, you kind of know it all came from monocle-and-top hat insutrial cities, but the whole thing seems kind of isolated. That's what I would personally like.

Class System: I would like for there to be no classes. I hope that you have heard of the SAGA edition of the Starwars tabletop game. In it, there are a few classes, but inside each class there are many possible classes that result from the many possible Skill configurations. I think that with enough Skills and Feats, we can very well work with only one Omniclass.

Gameplay: I mention KOTOR for the story, but maybe Fable 2 is more like what we're going for (mechanics-wise). We were kind of sold on the idea of the Gun Kata, which is the absurd yet awesome combination of swordfighting, kung fu, gun fu, and traditional shootouts.

Equipment: I was kind of hoping for a realistic item system in which objects are a physiscal thing that you carry around with you and not just a value that is sometimes True. I guess there would be plenty of Amulets and Idols to provide bonuses as well as medicinal herbs and potions that may or may not be a sham.

Magic and Magic Level: DO NOT SPEAK OF THE DEVIL.
    no, it does not exist, and religion is kind of a more psychological weapon than anything.

Human Percentage: I guess this is a human-only setting. If you can call those frontier animals human, that is.

Primary Antagonists: the primary enemy of mankind would be humanity. Bandits, thieves, mercenary armies, robber barons, corrupt and secular priests, love, hate, overproud soldiers and corrupt Inquisitors. Oh, there should be an outlandish alien demon horde slowly eating the world while we fight ourselves, but that's a higher level threat.
    (at least i think it should be)

Plot: Yes, very easy to control. Think of the story as multiple separate stories that can be connected b the player's actions. In the end, the game will analyze what stories happened and how it happened and choose the appropiate ending. We'll need a lot of endings. And yes, the game is plot-driven.

Geography: I'm thinking of one or two continents, maybe some Forbidden islands of dragonyears legend or sumthin'.

Religion: Well, characters will talk and revere two separate gods. I hope that the whole point of the story will be the fact that both rivalring gods are actually one (dying) entity.

Cosmology: No, I don't think our protagonist needs to go to hell to fight demons.

Politics: I was thinking of maybe a centralized Teocracy. maybe some puppet goverments that answer to the Holy Council or Holy Man or something.

Setting Title: you got me. we need one.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Equipment: I was kind of hoping for a realistic item system in which objects are a physical thing that you carry around with you and not just a value that is sometimes True. I guess there would be plenty of Amulets and Idols to provide bonuses as well as medicinal herbs and potions that may or may not be a sham.
    I like doing equipment, so unless anyone cares, I would like to do this specifically until July, when I will be on vacation for 3 weeks. Amulets and idols would not really provide a bonus if there is no magic, but I suppose that herbs would work.

Equipment

>Weapons

>>Swords
    >>>1-Hand
    >>>1 1/2 Hand/Kantanas
    >>>2 Hand
    >>>Fencing
    >>>Specialized

>>Kinves/Daggers
    >>>Knives
    >>>Daggers

>>Polearms
    >>>Spears
    >>>Lances
    >>>Javelins
    >>>Polearms

>>Axes/Clubs/Maces/Hammers
    >>>Hand Axes
    >>>Heavy Axes
    >>>Hammers
    >>>Maces
    >>>Clubs
    >>>Flails

>>Composites
    >>>Staves
    >>>Thrown Weapons
    >>>Nunchuku/3-Section Staff
    >>>Chain

>>Unarmed Agumentation
    >>>Gauntlets
    >>>Cestus
    >>>Claws
    >>>Knuckes

>>Bows
    >>>Bow/Arrow
    >>>Crossbows

>>Guns
    >>>Pistols/Revolvers
    >>>Rifles/Snipers?
    >>>Shotguns?
    >>>Machine Guns?

>>Turret Weapons
    >>>Cannons
    >>>Canapults
    >>>Ballistae
    >>>Seige Engines
    >>>Machine Gun?

>>Explosives (Possibly items.)
    >>>Grenades
    >>>Gunpowder
    >>>Firecrackers

>Armor

>>Clothing
    >>>Cloaks
    >>>Robes
    >>>Lots of other stuff.

>>Body Armor
    >>>Plate
    >>>Mail
    >>>Leather
    >>>Studded

>>Helms
    >>Armgear (Possibly overlap with unarmed weapons.)
    >>>Gauntlets
    >>>Bracers

>>Shields
    >>>Bucklers
    >>>Light
    >>>Heavy
    >>>Tower

>>Footgear
    >>>Boots
    >>>Shoes

>Items

>>Healing
    >>>Herbs
    >>>Other random Junk
    Not too sure on the items.

Stats for Equipment
    Weapons: Hands, Weight/Speed, Value/Price?, Damage/Strength/Might, Durability/Ammunition, Range, Effects etc.
    Armor: Defense/Damage Reduction, Weight/Speed, Effects, etc.
    Items: Uses, Effect, etc.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-20 at 09:15 AM.

Yes.

23. - Top - End - #23

Here are my thoughts on the two sides of the world:

Most people on the wild west and medieval sides do not know about each other. On a generic map of both, the wild west is on the left, and the medieval is on the right. They are separated by crazily tall mountains, highly dangerous seas, and deadly deserts.

Idea Pic:

--N--
    W--E
    --S--

----------^^^Deadly^^^-------------------<North Pole
    Wild------^^Arctic^^^^-----Medieval-------
    -----------^^mountains^^------------------
    West----~~~~~~~Highly~~~-Europe/Japan-
    ------------~~~~Stormy~~~~~~-----------
    Side----~~~~~and Huge~~~~------Side----
    ---------------~~~~Ocean~~~~~----------
    ---------------.......Extremely......------------<Equator
    ----------------......Dry.........----------------
    ---------------......Desert......----------------
    -----------------l---Wide and---l-------------
    ---------------l---Deep Canyon--l------------
    ----------------~~~Cold~~~~--------------
    --------------~~~~Arctic~~~~-------------
    ---------------~~~~Ocean~~~~-----------<South Pole

possibly, there is another border on the other side of the planet too, assuming that the world is not flat.

Or something like this.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-20 at 12:59 PM.

Yes.

24. - Top - End - #24

Most people on the wild west and medieval sides do not know about each other. On a generic map of both, the wild west is on the left, and the medieval is on the right. They are separated by crazily tall mountains, highly dangerous seas, and deadly deserts.
    Well...I was kind of assuming that the wil west was sort of the frontier of the japan-europe kingdom, and that the frontiersmen are the ones who are technologically backward. But the sidequest you pasted could work either way, and the spine of the story is adaptable. but I guess we should have some sort of debate over it.

possibly, there is another border on the other side of the planet too, assuming that the world is not flat.
    if the world isn't flat then the peope in the south would fall, duh.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by alexeduardo View Post
    Well...I was kind of assuming that the wild west was sort of the frontier of the Japan-Europe kingdom, and that the frontiersmen are the ones who are technologically backward. But the sidequest you pasted could work either way, and the spine of the story is adaptable. but I guess we should have some sort of debate over it.
    How does this work exactly? I do not understand.

If the world isn't flat then the people in the south would fall, duh.
    Obviously.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-20 at 02:49 PM.

Yes.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    How does this work exactly? I do not understand.
    well, I guess that the civilized part would be pretty much like Europe, with the wild west being what it was: an unruly frontier with an increasily dispersed imitation of its homeland. I guess that the new Chaotic god would be kind of like the radical protestant parishes that flourished as the west was won. Of course, that's just my idea. I wonder if we could get a proper writer to tell us which option would be better.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

So then, how does the technology level work?

Yes.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    So then, how does the technology level work?
    Well, maybe the European side has gone soft and decided that what they had was enough. Maybe they have stayed for centuries on the same tech level, and maybe the frontiersmen, as they expand their territory, have been forced to innovate and are now more advanced in some aspects (faste4r farming, better handguns, lighter transports) but pathetically backward in others (no really amazing industry, weak and short-ranged cannons, no standing army). As for the tech level, I was hoping for something like the end of the middle ages, maybe a little steampunk.
    There is a really good novel series by Isaac Asimov called Foundation, it is possibly my favorite story of all time. At one point in the story, centralized religion takes over technology, and only priests can use the mysterious new machines. In order to use said machines, other kingdoms are forced to let the priests enter and evangelize their people, or else they will fall behind their enemies that are letting the tech-missionaries in. Maybe we could have a system like that in which only a certein kind of priest can use civilized technological advancements.
    Maybe a nationalist movement in the frontier has started a major heresy and kicked the missionaries out. Maybe that could be the event that kicks off the game. But those are just my random ideas.

EDIT: to address your edit.
    Well, I guess it would be cool if the player got to choose from three or four different names, each of which has a different meaning. Of course, that would mean that we would have to record every line of dialog at least three times. Or we could have everyone call the protagonist "Holy Inquisitor" or "Young Apprentice", but that would feel cheap.
    And I think the correct term is slidebars, since they would have a line that slides on them.
    Last edited by alexeduardo; 2009-06-20 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alexeduardo View Post

..I hope you know a damn good scripter or are prepared to shell out some serious cash for an industry standard engine, because NG/DMC fighting systems, while crazy awesome, are phenomenally difficult to create. [/QUOTE]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I may be able to help with some of the scripting, but I don't know anything about programming or art design. Sorry.
    Any bad guy who looks at O-Chul goes blind from sheer awesomeness.