New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Silly plot ideas (3.5).

I'm DMing a solo game for a friend who's playing as a Lupin ranged-combat focused level 4 Ranger (they have a wolf companion who's a level 4 Fighter; I initially gave him a Druid companion, but I let the player change the wolf to a Fighter due to the player's awful luck with rolls combined with their lack of melee skill). The problem is that I'm really running low on ideas for the game. I asked the player what they wanted plot-wise and they mentioned a preference for silly plots. Does anyone have any ideas for non-serious plots? (Preferably ones which don't involve the player being captured; that's already happened 3 times so far and I really hate taking characters prisoner due to suffering from a psychosomatic version of http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...ts.pl?Wild,all in real life which extends to D&D characters.)
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Silly plot ideas (3.5).

Wolfy wants a mate. He has to find a suitable she-wolf, convince her he's not a freak (a wolf with PC classes!?!), and then convince her to accept him as a mate.

Side thing if the wolf is successful in his task : It turns out the she-wolf was raised by a beautiful <insert race here> woman. Who is very impressed with the young man caring for her friend's new mate.

Follow that with something else silly related to this woman.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sadly I have a "Crank plot" page for my post-apocalyptic campaign.

Townspeople need help harvesting the honey from giant bees. It turns out they're all werebears.

Something is creating a spillover from <Generic Valhalla>. Two armies fight to the death over a piece of cloth on a stick. This repeats every hour or so. Yes I did rip this from Red vs Blue.

A reformed cannibal is rambling about there being something familiar about the taste of trail rations. He's right.

"Prophecy Inducing" roots actually transport the taker to a demiplane. Be sure to stat out walking hammers with lips.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quietus: To be honest, I'd sooner avoid having anything relationship-based in the game (I'm not comfortable with RPing romance at all, and it would just come across as awkward and unconvincing). Thanks for the idea anyway, though.

MCerberus: Those could work thanks. I don't get the hammer reference, though.

EDIT: Another thing about my games; I have 10 as the base Int and Cha for animals due to hating the specisist rules WotC have for them, so the wolf having PC levels wouldn't be that much of a problem anyway.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-06-20 at 02:25 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    Quietus: To be honest, I'd sooner avoid having anything relationship-based in the game (I'm not comfortable with RPing romance at all, and it would just come across as awkward and unconvincing). Thanks for the idea anyway, though.

MCerberus: Those could work thanks. I don't get the hammer reference, though.

EDIT: Another thing about my games; I have 10 as the base Int and Cha for animals due to hating the specisist rules WotC have for them, so the wolf having PC levels wouldn't be that much of a problem anyway.
    So your typical wolf, snake, and horse are all on the same intellectual level as your average human? Damn, them's some smart animals.

Understandable on the relationship dealy though. In that case, I second the honey-sucking werebears.

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

(I tend to see animals as intelligent as humans in different ways in real life. And I'm a misanthropic furry anyway. )

I'm definitly considering the honey plot. (I remembered something else that another DM mentioned about having to avoid bears of coated in honey.)
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-06-20 at 02:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The players walk into a city to find two gnome tinkers arguing in front of a pair of taverns across the street from each other.

The argument becomes increasingly heated, until finally they storm off into their respective taverns shaking their fists at each other. A few seconds later, the occupants of the taverns stream out hurriedly, and pedestrians quickly vacate the street.

Five minutes later, the taverns stand on mechanical legs and TAVERN BRAWL ENSUES!

Where the players come into the picture: The City Guard is sick of this, and hires the PCs to put a stop to the madness.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-06-20 at 03:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

(I tend to see animals as intelligent as humans in different ways in real life. And I'm a misanthropic furry anyway. )
    Well, I kinda figured the furry aspect. Misanthrope, I hadn't guessed. I suspect a discussion of how and why you think animals are as intelligent as humans, even in some ways, would be interesting - but decidedly beyond the bounds of this thread.

9. - Top - End - #9

The honey sucking werebears could lead to a plot with undead bees.

Yes, zomb-bees.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm definitly considering the honey plot. (I remembered something else that another DM mentioned about having to avoid bears of coated in honey.)
    Use the diverse personalities from Milne for the villager DMCs. Don't forget the occasional, "oh, bother." Instead of all being werebears, they could be were-[animals] of the types from Milne.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

have a entire city infested with dire rabbits. this million-beasts string swarm eat everyone in their path! and they increase in numbers by the minute!
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

An evil sorceress is trying to abolish literacy in a kingdom through liberal use of explosive runes which she casts randomly on all things containing words. The people are too afraid to read anything and soon their society will collapse from it. As the party progresses in tracking down the sorceress to her lair, which is an old abandoned school, they learn she used to be a teacher but years of hard work for no reward with angry parents, oppressive headmasters and bratty children who refuse to learn made her snap one day and turn to evil. "If they won't learn to read I'll help them with it. Yes! No one should read anything anymore! Just wait until those curling parents reads THIS note their demonspawns will bring home! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Feel sorry for any wizards in your party. She has a great move silently skill.
    Last edited by Poil; 2009-06-20 at 04:59 AM.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

Constipated Lizard Slayer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

What is Milne? I've never heard of it. The Undead Bee idea is excellent because the player took Favoured Enemy (Undead) at level 1. The Dire Rabbit plot would be good for later on (level 4 seems a bit low to be tacking hoards of bunnies). I'll consider the tavern one as well.

(Most other people are surprised about me being misanthropic as well. I think it's because I like helping people for some reason.)

Poil, I said it's a solo game with a Lupin Ranger and a Wolf Fighter. That idea could still work if the character ended up in another dimention (my current game world is a high magic world so that plot wouldn't work as well in it).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-06-20 at 05:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pingcode20 View Post
    The players walk into a city to find two gnome tinkers arguing in front of a pair of taverns across the street from each other.

The argument becomes increasingly heated, until finally they storm off into their respective taverns shaking their fists at each other. A few seconds later, the occupants of the taverns stream out hurriedly, and pedestrians quickly vacate the street.

Five minutes later, the taverns stand on mechanical legs and TAVERN BRAWL ENSUES!

Where the players come into the picture: The City Guard is sick of this, and hires the PCs to put a stop to the madness.
    I love it.
    Mecha = Gnome!

Slightly inspired by Girl Genius, I'd guess... ^^

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Glam Rock Goblin bard troupe >.>b

Namely, a group of extradimensional goblin bards have become stranded on the prime material, and worse - they lost their luggage gating in! >.>

You must complete 3 great tasks to help them!

First you must recover... The Pants of Power! Presently held by an ogre chieftain who uses them as a scarf, since they're far far too tight for him anyway. Actually they're too tight for almost anyone. That, and the Pants of Power have a charisma requirement to wear them. Yes, they're sentient pants.

Second... The Wig of Glamor - Long (and unimaginably BIG) platinum blonde hair, belonging to the band's drummer. You must negotiate with, swindle, or outright smash the natives to retrieve the Wig, before they use it for a truly unspeakable ritual >.>

What's the ritual? IT'S UNSPEAKABLE, Yeesh, didn't ya hear me the first time!?

Thirdly... ...

Fourth... Profit! - Do security at the concert. Keep ten-thousand screaming goblins from overrunning the stage <@_@> and you!

(For the record, this is actually a spinoff of something I did in one of my campaigns years ago. No it was not a particularly serious campaign, although the goblins at the time were mercenary bards who sang AC/DC songs - particularly "Dirty Deeds". ... I said it wasn't serious... >.<)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Make the guy climb to the top of a mountain to see a wise prophet who knows all. At the top theres a note tacked to a (locked and bolted) door of a wooden cottage: Entrance at back. The back is unreachable without climbing back down and starting again on the other side. When he finally makes it up the other side, he finds another note on another door. Guess what this one reads.

Seriously, guess.

Decided yet?

The note says: Gone Fishin'

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That would be amusing, but I don't want things to be deliberately anti-climatic (my lack of DMing skill should be enough to make sure things don't turn out as brilliantly as I want them to without plots being geared towards let-downs).
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sir, the Greatest Random Encounter Chart Ever has just what you need! [see attached signature]

Seriously. Roll a few things up, and then find a way to connect them together.

Silly plot?

Done.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The Ferret People of the Kingdom of Glargetmald seek to expand their empire by stealing the surround Kingdoms' supplies of cheese.

They then demand that all of said Kingdoms bow to their Ferrety will or they will be forever cheeseless.

Ferrety Wrath!!

Hey. You said silly.

20. - Top - End - #20

What is Milne?
    A.A. Milne, author of Whinne the ...

Wait for it...

Pooh.

You wanted silly, yet playable, and those characters have very distinct personalities. Even the plots could be distorted into D&D themes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for clarifying, Fitz. I'll definitly consider that one. Xenre, do you have any stats for anthro-ferrets? I've never considered using those (which is ironic considering the number of half-animal races I use). I'll check that chart as well, TSED. (Thanks for all the suggestions so far. )
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The Ferret-People of Glargetmald:

Quick-up (feel free to expand on this if you like)

Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (18 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 40 ft
    Armor Class: 16 (Studded Leather +3, Dex +2, Natural Armor +1)
    Base Attack: +2
    Attack: Shortspear Melee +3 (1d6+2 /x2)
    Full Attack: As above.
    Space/Reach: 5ft
    Special Attacks: Ravage (The Ferret People can leap upon an opponent, forsaking Dexterity bonus to armor class, but gaining a +2 to attack rolls and attack viciously. They go for the throat of the victim and on a roll of a natural 20, the character must make a Fort Save at +2 or be rendered unconscious. For every round the character is unconscious an additional Fort save must be made, each at a cumulative -2 to regain consciousness, it the Fort save fails the character loses 3 hp. Once the character reaches -10 hp, they are dead).
    Special Qualities: Never provokes an Attack of Opportunity.
    Saves: Fort: +3, Ref: +5, Will: +2
    Abilities: Str: 14, Dex: 15, Con: 14, Int: 9, Wis: 12, Cha:10
    Feats: Weapon Focus, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Any.
    Organization: Solitary or gang (2-8)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: Standard (1/2 coin, no goods, standard items (beneficial items will be in use)
    Alignment: Always chaotic.
    Advancement: none
    Level Adjustment -

Anyone feel free to use this creature if you like. They appear as a standard sable ferret, the albino ferrets are rulers and high ranking officials in their culture (to see a picture of a ferret-like humanoid, simply Google Images "Selonian".)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gelatinous cube eats village! I did this for lvl2 in a campaign and it went down a treat. (If you've seen Wayne's World you might even get the reference)
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I'm a warlock. And that there, on my bed? That's your girlfriend.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks, Xenre (I meant straight racial stats, though; I prefer to nerf races down to LA 0 before giving them proper class levels rather then HDs). I never saw that movie, Eurantien. That idea could work for making the player think a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

hmm. i never have this problem
    Spoiler
    Show
    I leave two of my players alone (as in without guiding plot) i na tavern for 10 minutes and next thing i know they've cracked open a portal to sigal (without even knowing what sigal is), swapped through a dozen different Identities. sold one of them to efreeti, who turns out was after BDSM whipped him and cast eyebyte to put him in throws of pleasure, escaped at a profit. bought a house and convinced a high leval wizard that they've poison him and he has to make them a portal.

Anyway. how about a prattchet plot.
    May i suggest the last hero?
    Basically:
    The first hero stole fire from the gods.
    Now a Hero planes to return it, with intrest.
    Ie Blow up celestia.
    You have to stop him
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

you work for a crazy archdruid, your goal is to find monsters, subdue them and place random treasure on them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

That one's interresting but it wouldn't make any sense due to what's happened so far, wizuriel.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

When you say Lupin, do you mean the infamous thief Lupin the 3rd? Or did you mean lupine, meaning wolfish? (I only ask because he's got the wolf companion.)

If it's the former, I'd say do some heists. Like, say the PC has to steal something for someone. Like, say there's some huge jewel that was stolen from this mighty wizard. The place it's being held has anti-teleport traps, so he can't just get in there, and he's much to squishy to take on the guards.

This is where the PC comes in. He's got to get in, get the jewel and get out, with as little notice as possible. Also, you should give him another male Ranger, a female Rogue with max ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy, and a male Samurai (Oriental Adventures, not CWar) as companions. :D

This is of course assuming you're going off of Lupin the 3rd. But it could work, regardless of person style.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

29. - Top - End - #29

Parodies are a good source of silly plots. How about this, since you already have talking animals.

Your ranger and wolf companion is attacked by a flying wizard who exclaims "I'll get you and your little dog too." The ranger is joing by dwarf cleric in plate mail, a sorcerer and a cat, lion or tabaxi with rogue levels as they after the wizard in his tower. The wizard harasses them along the way with flying monkeys, plant creatures, etc.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-06-20 at 11:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Thanks, Xenre (I meant straight racial stats, though; I prefer to nerf races down to LA 0 before giving them proper class levels rather then HDs). I never saw that movie, Eurantien. That idea could work for making the player think a bit.
    As a matter of fact I do!

Most Ferret-People leaders are Rangers or Rogues. Ferret-People clerics will usually worship trickery or nature dieties.
    Ferret-People characters have the following racial traits:
    +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis
    Medium size.
    Ferret Peoples' land speed is 40 feet (they can run on all fours)
    Darkvision out to 60 feet
    +2 on Hide and Move Silently Checks.
    +1 Natural Armor
    Automatic Languages: Common, Ferret
    Favored Class: Ranger, Druid, Rogue
    Level Adjustment: 0 to +1 (This is depending upon the nature of the campaign.)