New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Witch

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Witch

I'm searching for some kind of witch class; a class that focuses on curses, fear, and such.

I don't want a melee class, so that rules out Hexblade.

I'd also prefer something charisma based.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Witch

Well, there is a sorcerer varient called "Witch"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Shadowfoot's homebrewed Witch class....

http://shadowfoot.blogspot.com/2004/...ore-class.html

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post
    I'm searching for some kind of witch class; a class that focuses on curses, fear, and such.

I'd also prefer something charisma based.
    Plain old sorceror would do nicely. Just choose theme-appropriate spells...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

5. - Top - End - #5

Base class?

Because Heroes of Horror has the Dread Witch, a five level prestige class for spellcasters centered around boosting your own fear abilities, turning peoples fear effects back against them, and using your own fear as a power source to gain additional spellcasting or boosts in caster level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I have a homewbrew class called the shadowmage that sort of fits that criteria; focuses on illusions, debuffs, fear, and some negative energy damage. Check my sig for details.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Dread Necromancer(HoH).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Witch" is an amazingly broad term.

Curses and fear, you say... as previously mentioned, the Dread Witch from Heroes of Horror is about as good as you're going to get for a fear-based caster, especially since they can punch through fear immunity at 4th level. It loses a caster level, but if you want to play a fear-based character, it's totally worth it. I had a lot of fun with my gnomish sorcerer/dread witch. (I interpret "overrides fear immunity" to mean "can affect you with a fear spell NO MATTER WHAT, even if you're immune to mind-affecting," because specific overrides general, and "immune to mind-affecting" is more general while "ignores immunity to fear" is more specific. YMMV.) One warning about the Dread Witch, though... fear is, almost by definition, a save-or-suck effect. You can become REALLY GOOD at slinging around these save-or-sucks. You need to be really careful not to just win encounters with a single spell over and over and over and over, or your party will get bored and your DM will get frustrated. Be careful.

Warlock could be a good choice. They can get Bestow Curse as an invocation, which can be a lot of fun both in and out of combat. The only problem is that it's touch range, so you need to expand your defenses. I can't recall offhand if they get any good fear invocations (I don't have any warlock-related books open right this minute), but I'm sure there's something out there.

I like Spirit Shaman thematically, but I can't think offhand if it gets any good curse and/or fear spells. I just like the concept of a crazy old hag who lives out in the woods, goes on and on about the spirits that surround us, has [strike]an imaginary friend[/strike] a spirit guide that only she can see (and that she talks to and claims helps her "retrieve" spells from the spirit world), and so on... Might be fun.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9

HalfOrcPirate

The DMG has a witch class, check that if you want.

I say Sorceror, though. Beguiler would also work well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's also Warlock...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

+1 to Dread Necromancer. It's what you want and it does the work for you.

Or Sorcerer if you want Arcane Fusion (CM) or other spells from outside the PHB.

Bard could be interesting with Lyric Thaumaturge (CM)/Sublime Chord (CArc) and Doomspeak (CoR)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I had a DM who used the witch spell list given in the DMG as the basis for a beguiler-like class—that is, a class that knows all of the spells on its list automatically, and no others. If you just use it as a sorcerer variant, it's not much good, because the list is much smaller than what a sorcerer could pick from, but it worked out rather nicely the way we did it.

If you prefer to use stuff given in the books, a sorcerer with the Dread Witch prestige class Silverclawshift mentioned would do nicely. Warlock and dread necromancer could work too, provided you don't mind the slight focus on magical blasting/raising the dead.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I like Spirit Shaman thematically, but I can't think offhand if it gets any good curse and/or fear spells. I just like the concept of a crazy old hag who lives out in the woods, goes on and on about the spirits that surround us, has [strike]an imaginary friend[/strike] a spirit guide that only she can see (and that she talks to and claims helps her "retrieve" spells from the spirit world), and so on... Might be fun.
    Sounds great, fluff-wise, but I don't think Spirit Shamans get the right spells to support the fluff. They get druid spells. Not a lot of fear and cursing there. (I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'd start with Bard, actually. Bards don't need to be frivolous, they can be really scary. Easy to customize:

1) Inspire Awe instead of Inspire Courage. (Alternate Class Feature from Dragon Magic.) It's a fear effect which makes enemies shaken. It doesn't last long after you stop singing though, so I'd pick up Melodic Casting.
    2) Haunting Melody feat from Heroes of Horror. Does basically the same, but by spending a Bardic Music use.
    3) Doomspeak feat from Champions of Ruin. Spend a Bardic Music use to seriously curse a single foe. (-10 penalties, save based on character level...)

You can actually go straight bard and be the "witch" you imagine. And there are several general feats that help you make your enemies shaken(-->frightened-->panicked...).

Or you can prestige to Dread Witch or Nightmare Spinner (Complete Mage).
    The ghost of freedom ever comes
    with a knife between her teeth

Gestalt Warrior Arena Tournament (Tactics Galore) is now recruiting.
    Kerynia is a homebrew 3.5 Campaign Setting, currently on hold. But who knows...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Re-fluff a bard and have him give negative instead of positive modifiers, maybe.

edit: oh, the above post says the same thing.
    Last edited by Oblivious; 2009-06-20 at 08:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Go with Sorcerer.

In the PHB, there's a section that says that, working with your DM, you can have any spell you want.

Now just look through every spell list and take the spells that make sense.

16. - Top - End - #16

Monte Cook published a book called "Quintessential Witch" if you don't mind 3rd party material it's pretty good.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Master Alchemist from Magic of Faerun gets the potion brewing goodness.