Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Confessions of a Dunmer Kleptomaniac (Let's Play Morrowind)

(Note that this, along with pretty much any Let's Play will be hard on slow connections. You have been warned.)

Ever played The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind before? If so, then feel free to skip these first two paragraphs. If not, then I'll fill you in. Morrowind is an RPG developed by Bethesda Softworks, and is the third installment in their Elder Scrolls series of games. It was released way back in 2002 and eventually spawned two expansion packs as well, which were then all bundled together and rereleased as the Game of the Year Edition (which is what I'll be playing).

It's a very deep and compelling RPG, but requires quite a bit of effort on the player's part. There's a lot of numbers and stats that I could explain, but it's all fairly self-explanitory. For example, if you increase your Long Blade skill, you'll be better with Long Blades. Simple. There are 27 skills in total, 10 of which are chosen as major and minor skills at the beginning of the game. There are also 8 primary attributes which govern just about everything about your character. Like I said, I won't go into a lot of detail, but if you're interested in reading up on them, check the UESP Wiki. Any questions you have about the Elder Scrolls universe can be answered there.

So why am I doing this Let's Play?
    Well, I've always wanted to do an LP, but couldn't find a game I really knew well enough. I was recently looking for an excuse to replay Morrowind, and this idea came around. I wanted to do more than just retell the story, however, so I'll be playing from an in-character perspective and greatly embellishing as much of the story as I can. Expect to see much more comedy than the original dry dialogue had.

What's the backstory?
    Morrowind is one of many provinces of Tamriel and happens to be the home of the Dark Elves, also commonly known as Dunmer. There's a great deal of history and turmoil in the province, most of which isn't terribly relevant right now. I'll try to explain important pieces of information and history as I go, but all you really need to know is that people in Morrowind don't like outlanders.

Who are you playing as?
    I'll be playing a Dunmer named Nelid with a specific set of skills. If I'm going to make a good effort through the game, I kind of need to plan ahead, so I'm taking the skills I'm pretty sure I'll need. It would be far funnier if I took the 10 most worthless skills I could, but it would also be terribly frustrating. Anyway, more details will be given once I get to the character creation part of chapter 1.

Which mods are you using?
    As a matter of fact, none. Okay, I'm lying. I'll be using a couple mods; Better Bodies and Book Jackets, which are for graphical presentation only. I want to avoid altering too much of the original game for this LP, especially in regards to gameplay. I know there are a ton of mods out there that are great fun to use, but that's not what this is about. I might end up using some more down the road, but for now I'll be keeping it simple.

Are we going to help play?
    Probably, but not in huge ways. Since Morrowind is as open-ended as it is, it makes it really difficult to give clear cut choices to the masses. I'll be offering them every now and then, but my main objective is to make an interesting and funny read.

So, if there are any other questions, shoot them my way, but for now, let's get things started!

RESOURCES
    UESP Wiki
    Map of Morrowind (Vvardenfell District)
    Nelid's Progress Log

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    Chapter 1 - The Beginning of Freedom
    Chapter 2 - Loot Never Dies, Only Those Who Carry It
    Chapter 3 - Fargoth Gets What's Coming to Him
    Chapter 4 - Meet the Undead (Then Join Them)
    Chapter 5 - Nelid Goes to Prison
    Last edited by Zarah; 2009-07-30 at 04:28 AM.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Confessions of a Dunmer Kleptomaniac (Let's Play Morrowind)

Chapter one, incoming!

Spoiler
    Show
    CHAPTER ONE
    The Beginning of Freedom

(Intro Video)

"They have taken you from the Imperial City's prison, first by carriage and now by boat, to the East to Morrowind. Fear not, for I am watchful. You have been chosen."

"Wake up, we are here! Why are you shaking? Are you okay? Wake up!"

I awoke to a strange, raspy voice apparently ordering me to stand up. I decided not to argue and conceded to his demands, but there was still something terribly wrong. I couldn't remember anything. I was on a boat, just like my dream had said, and if that much was true then... Was I really a prisoner? What a coincidentally inconvenient time for me to have amnesia.

Me: "Thanks, buddy. I don't suppose you could answer a few ques—"

Me: "Gah!! Dude! How long have you been leering at me like that? Put a shirt on for crying out loud, what if somebody walked in on us down here..."

Something told me that his name was Jiub. I'm... Not sure what it was.

Jiub: "You were dreaming."

Me: "I kinda wish I still was, man."

Jiub: "What's your name?"

Jiub: "Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go."

Me: "That's sounds suspiciously easy."

Jiub: "Quiet, here comes the guard."

Another man entered the room. He didn't even seem to notice the half-naked dunmer beside me as he barked his orders. I stared at his nose.

Me: "...You should choose your words more carefully, buddy."

I emerged into the daylight to see another guard and a...

Giant... Flea? Anyway, the guard figuratively held my hand as I stepped from the side of the boat and onto the docks, where I was greated with... Yet another guard. There were a lot of guards keeping their eyes locked on me, which led me to believe that perhaps I was not only a criminal, but dangerous. Maybe I was a legendary murderer!

Me: "No record? Seriously?! What kind of famous killer has no record?"

After my outburst was quelled, I continued to play along and answer the guard's questions. In a rather perplexing moment of strangeness, he asked me to describe my face in as much detail as I could.

Me: "Is spontaneous blindness a problem here in Morrowhatever?"

He didn't answer. Apparently, so was hearing loss. I made some quick mental notes, as I scanned my surroundings, then followed him up the docks and into the building before me.

As soon as I entered, I saw another guard, this one adorned in heavy armor and a skirt.

I stifled a giggle and approached the other man in the room, who was apparently waiting for me.

He asked me to fill out a form and fill in any details regarding my skills and abilities. He then referred to it as a "class" and told me to give it a name. After writing the word "everything" in large, capital letters all over the skills section, I declared my new class to be named "God." The guard behind me promptly smacked the back of my head and snatched the papers away. The form was replaced and I was told to redo them.

This time I added a note on the bottom of the sheet.

The man then asked for my birth sign. I had no idea what he was talking about, so I wrote down the first thing that came to mind, which happened to be a horse. I was now a child born under the sign of the Steed. I guess. Interestingly enough, that would be my last encounter with horses of any kind. Apparently the people of Morrowind did not take kindly to horses, much as they did with me.

With my release indentification finished, I scooped up the papers and read them over.

Census Officer: "Show your papers to the Captain when you exit to get your release fee."

I took one last look around the room and just before I left, something caught my eye.

As soon as I picked it up to take a look, the guard charged me from across the room. I expected to be thrown back into the brig with the shirtless wonder and sent back to prison. What the guard told me was considerably different.

Me: "So I can steal a 600-gold platter and all I get is a slap on the wrist?"

The guard didn't answer, but he did give me a suspicious look as I passed him.

That's when I noticed it. He looked the same as the last guard. It was the beginning of a monumental discovery that would surely blow open the seams of the entire province! But that's a story for later. For now, I had more work to do.

As I walked into the next room, the first thing that caught my eye was...

The authorities had slipped up, and now it was my turn for revenge. I plucked the knife from the table and waved it around as if I actually knew what I was doing with it. The walls shook in fear of my newfound confidence.

Once my adrenaline had reached a normal level again, I looked at the note that was left with the weapon.

I wasn't sure who this Ganciele was, but they would not be happy. I decided to make haste. Yet, I still couldn't tear my eyes from all the shiny silverwear adorning the table.

Me: "*Cough*"

A small chest behind me remained locked, but wouldn't hold out against my superior skills. Which apparently included unlocking things by pointing a metal wand at them.

I quickly cleaned as much as I could from the shelves and the table. Anything that looked like it was worth a few coins found its way into my hands.

I was beginning to get an idea as to why I may have been in prison...

With my pants now lined with as many stolen goods as they could carry, I shuffled my way to the door. I emerged into daylight once again, but was still surrounded by walls. A nearby barrel had a few more goodies stashed away, including a small ring that glowed when I held it in the light.

In the next room, I met Sellus Gravius, whom I was supposed to report to. Unfortunately, it was a small room, so his prying eyes would keep me from snatching any of his fancy utensils. He didn't say anything about the two candlesticks in my pants, however, which I consider myself lucky for.

He explained the situation, but I really didn't pay any attention, since my eyes were ironically locked on a key hiding on the back of his shelf. What sort of wonders would that key unlock? I suppose I'll never know...

Sellus: "Did you hear what I said?"

Me: "Uh... Yeah! I've got to deliver this to... Someone."

Sellus: "*Sigh* Here, take this. It's an empty journal. Every time someone tells you something that might be important, write it down in here."

Me: "Hey, I don't need advice from you!"

Sellus: "Just do what I tell you and I'll pretend I don't see you trying to hide that stolen water pitcher under your shirt."

This one was smarter than he looked. I didn't want to risk getting busted so soon and decided I better concede to his point. He went over my instructions again while I quickly scribbled them down in my newly acquired journal.

I realized that for a recently freed ex-convict, I had remarkable penmenship.

As soon as he finished his speech, he handed me 87 gold coins and wished me luck. With our business concluded, I stepped out the door and to the beginning of my new life. Yes, at long last, I was a free man. I took a lingering gaze at the town before me and breathed a sigh of fresh air. Something was tingling deep inside me. Was it an itching for adventure? In retrospect, I think it was a fork rubbing against my inner thigh, but it didn't matter. I felt like a brand new elf, and nothing, nothing could bring me down.

Fargoth: "Are you the one the boat dropped off?"

I always tend to speak too soon.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Zarah; 2009-10-22 at 12:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

bwahahah. Awesome. Definitely will be stalking this thread. And what a perfect way to end the first episode of the lets play...

Fargoth...
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #4

Loving it so far.
    Love the game too, so I hope your commentary will refresh it a bit for me.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #5

very very nice.. I'm sure this will be fun. I've played a lot of oblivion, and really want to try out morrowind, as soon as I'll have some spare time

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This is great. I can't wait for the next chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Great. Can't wait for the next episode.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quite a fun let's play of a good game that i still haven't seen everything i wanted to see in. I never finished either the Tribunal or the Bloodmoon main plots.

9. - Top - End - #9

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Also, I just realized that the screenshot I had of the identification paper had a different character name on it, from before I decided on "Nelid." It is now corrected, however.

Here's a little trivia for the first chapter too: The key that I mentioned in Sellus Gravius' office does indeed exist in-game. It's hiding in the corner on a shelf right behind him. If you're fast enough, you can grab it and drop it before he scolds you*, then you can enter the warehouse just across the door to his office. There's a bunch of weapons and armor for your taking in there, but not much else. I decided to skip it for this playthrough, though.

*For anyone who doesn't know, it's a common exploit in Morrowind. If you ever break the law, drop all the stolen items you're carrying then talk to a guard. You can pay off your fine and they won't remove any of the objects, since you won't be carrying them. Pick everything up again and be on your way. It's how I managed to snag the limeware platter at the beginning of the game without having it taken away.

10. - Top - End - #10

Yeah, how crazy will you be with the (seemingly unlimited) subquest and secrets? Will you do all and every one of them like a good obsessive compulsive gamer would do?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, I'd like to do as much as I can, but that would probably stretch out the lifespan of this LP by about six years, so I might have to cut back a little. I'll probably do sidequests as they come to me, and I'll definitely be doing one of the great houses at the very least. The other guilds will likely see some action as I go too.

As for the next update, expect to see it within the next couple days. I need to decide if I want to split it into two separate chapters, since I ended up with 75 usable pictures out of a total 155 raw screenshots. Man, it's going to be next month before I even get to Balmora...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is shaping up to be a good let's play. Are you planning on doing the main quest? In my many hours of playing Morrowind I've never actually finished it.

Well, I did finish it once, but all I did was kill old Dagoth, none of the quests in between the first and him. That was quite fun, though it was difficult to take the damage from using the weapons.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Are you planning on doing the main quest?
    Of course. It's a great story and I'd hate to leave it out. I really want to get to Tribunal, since the story in that is, in my opinion, even better than Morrowind's. However, it remains to be seen if I can even last that long playing and writing commentary for the vanilla version.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kewl. That sounds fun to read.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hehe, I chuckled. Oh Fargoth, how I love to loathe you.

You did raise a good point which I never really thought about till now though. Where DOES all the items you grab go anyway? Are the pants you wear some sort of interdimensional piece of clothing that can hold anything, no matter what size or shape it is, without the items appearing on your person?

I can't wait to see you go to Vivec and decide to take a friendly visit to the local House Hlaalu vaults. (Redoran too).
    Last edited by Vizen; 2009-06-21 at 02:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizen View Post

You did raise a good point which I never really thought about till now though. Where DOES all the items you grab go anyway? Are the pants you wear some sort of interdimensional piece of clothing that can hold anything, no matter what size or shape it is, without the items appearing on your person?
    Being a master thief of sorts, Nelid has obviously stolen Guybrush Threepwood's pants.

Loving the Let's Play, keep it coming!
    Last edited by Comet; 2009-06-21 at 06:51 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Why DOES everyone hate Fargoth so much? He's the Player's chew toy as far as I've ever been able to figure out. He's even very nice to you if you give him his ring back.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Because the first thing I ever heard Fargoth say was "I have a feeling you and I are about to become VERY close."

O_o

Not quite the thing you should be saying to ex-cons. Kinda creepy, too.

Great LP, looking forward to the next chapters.
    Last edited by AJWB; 2009-06-21 at 10:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

A great start to what I can tell will be a fun Let's Play.
    Can't wait for the next chapter.

Methinks we needs more Lets Play on this forum, remedy this people!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I´ve never played Morrowind, but it looks like this is going to be a real fun LP. Can´t wait for the next chapter.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Revanmal View Post
    Why DOES everyone hate Fargoth so much? He's the Player's chew toy as far as I've ever been able to figure out. He's even very nice to you if you give him his ring back.
    It justifies raiding his secret stash later on.

Also, please tell me you're going to get the Scrolls of Icarian Flight. I don't care which sidequests you do, so long as you turn those things into a Chekhov's Gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'll definetly be following this. I like Let's Plays, Morrowind, although great has many opportunities for poking fun. And I know that Zarah's sense of humor can be counted on.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Revanmal View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea. It's just... Something about poor Fargoth just asks for it. Not to mention his entire species has been reduced to a race for the sole purpose of annoying you and only you. He's not the first Bosmer of his kind, and he certainly won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Also, please tell me you're going to get the Scrolls of Icarian Flight. I don't care which sidequests you do, so long as you turn those things into a Chekhov's Gun.
    Without giving away too much from the next chapter, I can assure you I already have them. And yes, I'll be holding onto them for... Something later on, I'm sure.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    Without giving away too much from the next chapter, I can assure you I already have them. And yes, I'll be holding onto them for... Something later on, I'm sure.
    Paratrooping attack on ghostgate.

Oh, go on!
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea. It's just... Something about poor Fargoth just asks for it. Not to mention his entire species has been reduced to a race for the sole purpose of annoying you and only you. He's not the first Bosmer of his kind, and he certainly won't be the last.
    Sounds like someone has the first expansion pack...
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

This thread is BLASPHEMY!
    Everybody know that the best Character out there is a Redguard with a custom class to emphasize movement and hitting things with a big pointy stick (And light/unarmoured).
    Spoiler
    Show

Major:
    L. Blade
    Sneak
    Acrobatics
    L. Armour
    Sneak
    Security
    Minor:
    Athletics
    Unarmoured
    Marksmen
    S. Blade
    Alchemy or Restoration

Other than your dunmer-ness, which I'm sure I'll get over eventually, this LP receives the Thanatos Approval, which I'm sure you don't care about.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Damn you to hell, Zarah.

Now, when I start my Morrowind LP, it's going to look like I'm-a ripping you off. Plus, it'll look awkward for one forum to have two LPs of the same game in it.

Actually, damn, is that even allowed?
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-06-21 at 07:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Quite a fun let's play of a good game that i still haven't seen everything i wanted to see in. I never finished either the Tribunal or the Bloodmoon main plots.
    Tribunal gets pretty effing epic near the end. Right about the point you meet something called the Imperfect.

Bloodmoon is awesome for its Raven Rock.

I call the LP on Oblivion if i ever bother to buy it for the PC. Too bad i cant screencap my Xbox 360. I would love to share the mainquest as seen through the eyes of Cramsby, Gentleman Liquor Collector.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2009-06-21 at 07:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh man! I love Morrowind! So many months of my life were spent on this game! I have to play again...

I was also reminded of this...

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes, I like to create a Bosmer character identical in face and hairstyle to him. Then, in the dead of night, pick his lock and enter his house, completely naked.

I murder him. I take his clothes, and dispose of his corpse.

The rest of the game is spent not taking quests, but travelling around Seyda Neen, simply being him. I sleep in his bed. I eat his food. I walk in the same aimless pattern he did.

And I talk to his best friend, Arille. Though we maintain an air of friendly chatter, I can see the uneasiness in his eyes. All the villagers. They know. They're watching me.

I've passed 100+ game days doing this.
    I'd like to thank CrimsonAngel for the awesome avatar.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jølly View Post
    Oh man! I love Morrowind! So many months of my life were spent on this game! I have to play again...

I was also reminded of this...

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes, I like to create a Bosmer character identical in face and hairstyle to him. Then, in the dead of night, pick his lock and enter his house, completely naked.

I murder him. I take his clothes, and dispose of his corpse.

The rest of the game is spent not taking quests, but travelling around Seyda Neen, simply being him. I sleep in his bed. I eat his food. I walk in the same aimless pattern he did.

And I talk to his best friend, Arille. Though we maintain an air of friendly chatter, I can see the uneasiness in his eyes. All the villagers. They know. They're watching me.

I've passed 100+ game days doing this.
    How do you murder him in his house? All he does is pace helplessly about outside Arrile's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show