New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Too broken to use

Everyone knows Incantrix is the worst thing since unsliced bread. Planar Shepherd and IotSFV are similarly terrible. And no one in their right mind should bring Venomfire to the table. So, what else is out there? What other abilities, PrCs, and spells are there that, really, TO doesn't want to use, because they make things too easy? Not the stuff that just combos with something else to be borked, but the stuff that should never have been printed in the first place, the stuff that makes DMs ban entire books due to a single feat. What are the chemical weapons of D&D?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Too broken to use

Fabricate. It's so bad, I considered banning the book it came from... then realized I can't. /joke lol Osmium

In a more serious light, you hit most of the gross offenders, though Dragonwrought Kobold ANYTHING is basically a chemical weapon.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-06-22 at 08:03 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Everyone knows Incantrix is the worst thing since unsliced bread.
    What's wrong with unsliced bread? If anything, it's better than sliced bread because you can decide how thick you want your slice to be. Furthermore, the more delicious a type of bread is - such as tiger loaves, tomato & basil flavoured bread, crunchy farmhouse bloomer loaves - the more likely it is to be generally stocked unsliced.
    Finally, unsliced bread is more provident as it takes more time to go stale and to grow mold than sliced breads, as well as being far easier to freeze.

EDIT: Also, Pun-Pun.
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-06-22 at 08:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Whats venomfire, i have never heard of that till now? Oh and i guess to be contributing to the thread i guess polymorph but everytime i used it my DM had us use an older version from a different edition so it really was never overpowered for us. And from what i have heard epic magic was what Wizards created when they were on crack.

I dont have a lot of books or have really played a high level campaign so i have not experienced any of the really broken things.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In general, don't bring Forgotten Realms into anything but the most high-powered games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The Wizard, Druid, and Cleric Classes?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm gonna bookmark this thread and keep it in mind for my next D&D session...
    Last edited by Logalmier; 2009-06-22 at 08:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Holy Word and friends
    Mordy's Disjunction
    Shivering Touch
    Ray of Stupid

Thats actually pretty much all on my autoban list. I'll usually allow anything from the [Polymorph] subschool though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

As much as I love it, I've seen War Weaver banned at some tables. Then there's the dragonsblood pool hack I used for algernon, which I don't even like talking about. Ice assassin+fusion comes to mind. Locate cities OR the fimbulwinter bomb.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-06-22 at 08:05 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    As much as I love it, I've seen War Weaver banned at some tables. Then there's the dragonsblood pool hack I used for algernon, which I don't even like talking about. Ice assassin+fusion comes to mind. Locate cities OR the fimbulwinter bomb.
    Dragonsblood pool hack?

@EvilFrosty: Venomfire is in Serpent Kingdoms, Druid spell, for hours/level it deals 1d6/CL Acid damage on any natural attack you make that is poisoned. No upper limit on damage, and it applies to all your attacks. Fleshrakers get 3 poisoned attacks on a full attack. Yeah. 2x as much bonus damage as the party rogue, easier to activate, with fewer resistances. And it's level 3.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Complete Champion is generally this. Tome of Battle is often considered this. Tome of Magic is, the Binder aside, the opposite of this, too awful to bother with.
    Celerity (PHBII) is a common offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12

Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web Enhancement] should be on the same list as Incantatrix and Planar Shepherd. The things you can do with Supernatural Spell...it's not even funny (and doesn't take much work to figure out; just check what "Supernatural Ability" means). I really wonder what crack they were smoking when they printed it; "Hay, let's make a class features that ignores all costs on a spell, makes it uncounterable and bypass SR!" "Sure, sounds like a smashing idea! How about we give that class the ability to effectively learn arcane spells as divine spells too just to make it obvious that we WANT him to use Wish for no cost whenever he wants to without SR or any peskiness like that!"

Other, Divine Metamagic [Complete Divine]? Celerity/Greater Celerity [PHBII]? Any kind of Polymorph-effects [Draconomicon, PHB, etc.]? Spells-to-Powers Erudite? Uh, Sarrukh [Serpent Kingdoms]? Artificer [ECS] and Druid [PHB] in general? Divine Impetus on Ruby Knight Vindicator [ToB]? Fleshraker [MM3]?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-22 at 08:12 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree, and find comp champ generally very palatable. I agree on the other points. Poor poor truenamers :S

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    I disagree, and find comp champ generally very palatable. I agree on the other points. Poor poor truenamers :S
    Likewise; Complete Champion gets bad rap unnecessarily. There's a bunch of quality material in there (I'm still of the opinion that's only poorly edited, which goes for much of their material, and that the ease of getting Pounce, and enabling Swift Hunter are merely positive things).

The only bad part really is the fact that it caters to Clerics most who really didn't need a power boost to begin with (well, that and the fact that things are really typed like **** at some points). The good part is that these boosts are less impressive than the ones Clerics got from Complete Divine (WTF were the writers smoking again...).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-22 at 08:14 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

In my opinion, Comp Div is one of the worst balanced gaming books ever laid to paper by a major company with actual proof-readers.

Divine Metamagic? In the same book as a reprint of Ur-Priest?
    Yes, that's a flawless plan, unlikely to cause any problems. :|

16. - Top - End - #16

Don't forget that Dweomerkeeper is indeed from its Web Enhancement. 'cause the book wasn't dumb enough without it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Even something like Divine Oracle was pretty strong. Evasion is palatable, but the capstone of DO is undispellable Persisted Foresight. Screw clerics, take this class as a wizard and you'll never be parted from your Celerity + Time Stop again!

Probably not really in the "too broken to use" catagory, but still significantly strong and oft overlooked in CD.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually kind of like Venomfire. With the simple houserule that it discharges on the first successful attack, it becomes a reasonably well balanced pre-combat buff, and a cool assassination spell.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I actually kind of like Venomfire. With the simple houserule that it discharges on the first successful attack, it becomes a reasonably well balanced pre-combat buff, and a cool assassination spell.
    Yeah, changing it from 'every attack you make, all day today, deals your level*d6 damage' to 'one attack deals CL*d6 damage' makes it much more balanced. Though no upper limit on the damage dice, especially since it doesn't require an in-combat action, still needs to be looked at very carefully. Especially since it is so easy to metamagic.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The BoED contains some brokenness, Touch of Golden Ice, for example.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-06-22 at 08:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The BoED contains some brokenness, Touch of Golden Ice, for example.
    Golden Ice has such a low DC that it's only game-breaking at low levels.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #23

Oh, the infamous Thought Bottle, that must also be mentioned.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Let's also not forget the duo of Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos. You really shouldn't be able to get an infinite number of bonus feats at a cost of 500 XP each.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Well, there's gate, of course. Shapechange. Clone. Astral projection. Simulacrum. Explosive runes. Shrink item. Wind wall. Find traps. Knock. Summon monster X. Lesser/greater planar binding. Lesser/greater/planar ally. Symbol of X.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-06-22 at 08:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    Golden Ice has such a low DC that it's only game-breaking at low levels.
    Its broken in the fact that your DM will throw the BoED book AT YOU after having to roll 6-7 Fort saves per round to see if a 1 comes up...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Let's also not forget the duo of Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos. You really shouldn't be able to get an infinite number of bonus feats at a cost of 500 XP each.
    It actually just normally lets you swap existing feats around.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    It's not bonus, you have to recycle feats you had before, which you can retrain anyways a la PHBII or Psychic Reformation. The only broken thing it does is change racial proficiency feats into useful things.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to third the opinion on Complete Champion. It has IIRC a very small number of broken things, and many well balanced entries.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

30. - Top - End - #30
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It's not bonus, you have to recycle feats you had before, which you can retrain anyways a la PHBII or Psychic Reformation. The only broken thing it does is change racial proficiency feats into useful things.
    Now combine it with Legacy Weapons. Perform a ritual with a legacy weapon and you get Least Legacy. Which is a feat. Cue the Chaos Shuffle. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This isn't quite free, as performing the ritual does cost some money, but that doesn't mean it's not broken.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)