New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Good Cleric, Bad Domain

A friend of mine is playing in another DM's homebrew campaign, which features a neutral-aligned Death God who boasts the Death Domain. He's playing a Neutral Good Cloistered Cleric, and naturally picked up Death as his choice.

Problem? Some of the spells on his Domain list are EVIL. Casting them would be evil acts, yet they are granted by a neutral God. Nevertheless, he's now wondering if he can use those spells or not.

Do you really get penalized by casting evil spells granted by your supposedly uncaring God? The rules are silent, and I realized a Cleric of a non-specific deity could be Good and acquire the Death Domain as well by RAW, yet nothing is said about this.

Good Clerics can't have the Evil Domain, but they can have Death; it makes no sense to me. Does this mean Good Gods can't have Death as a Domain?

The obvious solution would be to substitute the spells in question, of course, or put something like Repose or Renewal Domains into play, but I'm curious what other people think about this bizarre rules tangle.
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Good Cleric, Bad Domain

Do the spells have to be with the cleric's alignment, or the gods? I forget.

As for Clerics of, say, Death (godless) that were good, it is true they wouldn't be able to cast any [Evil] spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD
    A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
    I think this statement is sufficiently vague enough in terms of interpretation that it could really go either way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I believe that or is inclusive, not exclusive. Thus, you must abide by both the deity and your alignments.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

If I remember correctly, one cannot have a true neutral god as his cleric's deity unless his character is also true neutral. Also, I think spells are restricted by alignment, not deity. I may be wrong though, I haven't read the PH in a while.
    Brother of Skeppio. He sigged me, so I'll sig him
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.
    Skeppio on FATAL:
    It's all kinds of wrong and no kinds of right.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I'd say that if the Good Cleric is capable of taking the domain with Evil spells (ie. not actually taking the Evil domain), then the Cleric should be able to cast the spells on the domain list without issue. Normal Cleric Spells would still be barred, but given that the domain has been chosen, it should be no issue.

---
    @Rowsen:

It's Cleric can't be TN unless Deity is TN, not the other way around.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If he was playing a true neutral cleric he would have been fine.
    His only other option is to be a hellbred from FCII.

Aside from that, nope he cannot cast evil spells if they are against either his or his own god's alignment. So for example a Neutral Good cleric of a Lawful Evil God (wtf? That isn't even allowed... but let us just SAY it is for this example!) could not do the following:

Cast Chaos spells because his god is lawful.
    Cast Good spells because his god is evil.
    Cast Evil spells because he is good. (Though strictly speaking he can, his alignment would change gradually however. Though there are absolutely no mechanics for that, it is entirely up to the DM.)

He may however cast lawful spells because the god allows them and he is neutral. If he was Lawful Good this would also be true.

To sum up. In order to cast an aligned spell or trigger an aligned item both his and his gods alignment cannot contain anything opposed on the appropriate axis. True Neutral clerics of a True Neutral God can cast whatever they damn please.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-06-23 at 06:29 AM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think basically it's an obvious case of Rule Zero since the Alignment system is acting up again:

I think it would be perfectly obvious that a True Neutral god of Death (which to me is actually the logical alignment for such a god) could give his clerics any death-centered spell he likes.

...Maybe a balance act? How about this: Allow him all Evil spells he wants, as long has he picks the same amount of Good (is there any spells that are good in that domain?) or at the very least Neutral spells?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Here is the death domain, which is actually slightly silly really:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists...tm#deathDomain

Here is what I would use for a True Neutral God of Death:

Same power, power is fine as it is. Though it's uses would be more limited for a Good aligned character.

1. Deathwatch: Reveals how near death subjects within 30 ft. are.
    2. Status: Monitors condition, position of allies.
    3. Speak with Dead: Corpse answers one question/two levels.
    4. Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
    5. Raise Dead: Restores life to subject who died as long as one day/level ago.
    6. Undeath to Death: Destroys 1d4 HD/level undead (max 20d4).
    7. Resurrection: Fully restore dead subject.
    8. Symbol of Death: Triggered rune slays nearby creatures.
    9. True Resurrection: As resurrection, plus remains aren’t needed.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-02 at 08:15 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't Deathwatch [Evil]? It shouldn't be, but that's kind of the point of the thread, right?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I think basically it's an obvious case of Rule Zero since the Alignment system is acting up again:

I think it would be perfectly obvious that a True Neutral god of Death (which to me is actually the logical alignment for such a god) could give his clerics any death-centered spell he likes.

...Maybe a balance act? How about this: Allow him all Evil spells he wants, as long has he picks the same amount of Good (is there any spells that are good in that domain?) or at the very least Neutral spells?
    Just gonna bump in and say that i would prefer LN for a death god.

That is all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, you are correct.

Swap it with Doom.

1. Doom: One subject takes -2 on attack rolls, saves, and checks.

But yeah, it shouldn't be. It should be a simple Necromancy spell. :P

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Don't change the rules. Just change the Cleric's alignment to match the deity's, which is required anyway (as Rowsen pointed out). No more problems. Neutral clerics can cast Good, Evil, Chaotic, and Lawful spells.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Works as well. lol.

But I do like the idea of allowing a Good aligned God of Death still.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This is complex, yeah. In theory, you shouldn't be getting evil spells from your neutral deity if you are good. See Cuthbert(sp?) from Player's Handbook, for example. He's Lawful Neutral, but with an inclination for Good (as an extra demand, his followers can't be evil, nor choose to convert spells into harm spells or rebuke/control undead). Death should be more of a neutral concept, even the Player's list a death god as neutral. In fact, I think that the death domain shouldn't give spells like animate dead/create undead, since a death god would see it as "cheating" death, even more than rise death/ressurrection.
    Your DM could, as people pointed out, home brew a better spell list.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

They made a special domain for just this situation. The Repose domain is exactly like the Death domain (including the same granted power), but without the evil spells. It's in Sandstorm, if you have access to it.

Alternatively, you're a cloistered cleric: you have two other domains to choose from. Just don't prepare the evil spells.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

He is allowed to cast the spells, and doing so will shift his alignment toward True Neutral instead of Neutral Good.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

True that, but then they would continue, over time, to shift his alignment to Evil. Like I said, it's quite bizarre.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's easy to fix, it was just such a strange warp in the rules that I was suprised it hadn't been addressed previously. Sure, there's Repose, but come on, the Death Domain has been in Wee Jas's hands for how long? Just...odd.
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackg View Post
    They made a special domain for just this situation. The Repose domain is exactly like the Death domain (including the same granted power), but without the evil spells. It's in Sandstorm, if you have access to it.
    I don't know if it's the exact same, but there's also a Repose Domain in the SRD.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Repose Domain

The Repose domain is similar to the Death domain, but is granted by good-aligned deities whose clerics are barred from casting evil spells.
    Granted Power

The character may use a death touch once per day. The death touch is a spell-like ability that is a death effect. The character must succeed at a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When the character touches, roll 1d6 per his or her cleric level. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies.

Repose Domain Spells
    1. Deathwatch
    2. Gentle repose
    3. Speak with dead
    4. Death ward
    5. Slay living
    6. Undeath to death
    7. Destruction
    8. Surelife
    9. Wail of the banshee
    Oddly enough, it still has the [Evil] deathwatch, but it also has a unique spell found on no other list (surelife).
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-06-23 at 01:17 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's a possible fix at least. It seems like yes those spells are okay with his god but no they're not ok with his alignment. The solution I suppose would be to take spells from your 2nd domain on those levels or substitute death with repose.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tenshiakodo View Post
    True that, but then they would continue, over time, to shift his alignment to Evil. Like I said, it's quite bizarre.
    No, because presumably he acts Good otherwise and casts many spells with the [Good] descriptor (otherwise he wouldn't be Neutral Good to start with). So averaging out his overall good outlook & actions with use of some evil spells puts him squarely at True Neutral for the long-term.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-06-23 at 01:41 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's also fair for a DM to choose to disregard the fluff text or anything else designating a spell as "Evil" when it suits the story. For example, I have no idea why the spell "Deathwatch" is designated as evil; all it does is allow "you can determine the condition of creatures near death within the spell’s range." How is that evil? It's strikingly similar to the spell status.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

They actually replaced Death with Repose on Wee Jas's list of domains in Living Greyhawk. Someone mentioned in some thread that she actually hates the undead. I guess that the Greyhawk version of her with all the setting history and whatnot is a bit more distinct than the little paragraph in the PHB.

Anyway, Neutral death deities should grant the Repose domain instead instead of Death, since that's pretty much what it's there for.

I think it's actually some sort of standard setup to have a Neutral Evil god of death who loves the undead and a Lawful Neutral god of death who hates the undead. That basically seems to be the case in both Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, anyhow.

Deathwatch shouldn't be [Evil]. It shouldn't have the rather stupid fluff that it has. There's nothing Evil or especially Evil-related about what it does, so just disregard that particular alignment descriptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Plus, its on the list of the Healer (must be Good) and the Slayer of Domiel (Falls if it ever commits an evil act, and according to BoED, BoVD, and Fiendish Codex 2, casting such a spell is an evil act)

I just chalk it up to an error in the PHB which has been ignored by later writers.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Plus, its on the list of the Healer (must be Good) and the Slayer of Domiel (Falls if it ever commits an evil act, and according to BoED, BoVD, and Fiendish Codex 2, casting such a spell is an evil act)

I just chalk it up to an error in the PHB which has been ignored by later writers.
    That is all I do as well. There is nothing really evil about the spell. In fact for a healing focused good character it is really useful. Kind of turns you into a Battlefield 2 Style Medic. lol.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought it was silly that Deathwatch was Evil.

"I'm going to see your health condition - with EVIL."

If anything it sounds like a good spell for triage to me.

But yeah, um, I just wanted to throw that in there.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe it's supposed to be a mistake.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess it could be twisted in an evil way.

"Hehee, you are in so much pain! Thanks to the power of DeATHWatCH! I can revel in your SUFFERING!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    This is complex, yeah. In theory, you shouldn't be getting evil spells from your neutral deity if you are good. See Cuthbert(sp?) from Player's Handbook, for example. He's Lawful Neutral, but with an inclination for Good (as an extra demand, his followers can't be evil, nor choose to convert spells into harm spells or rebuke/control undead).
    Strange, I played a cleric of Cuthbert with the ability to convert spells into harm spells or rebuke/control undead. My DM ruled that Cuthbert prefers good to evil only because evil is more inclined to break the law.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say the neutral deity offers all his clerics to cast some evil spells. If they use them, it's an evil act. and doing evil acts will turn a character evil over time. As the deity is neutral, he doesn't care if his clerics turn evil.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying