New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default 3.5 summoning advice

I'm an arcane caster using the Vest of Mysterious Conjuration, which gives 3/day the ability to burn a spell to cast Summon Monster x of the same level.

I have level 9 spells, so all levels of Summon Monster are open to me. What's considered the best monsters to summon. Ideally, I'd like some idea of meat-shield, distractor, etc.

I think avoral guardinals are good for healing the party (Lay on Hands ability). Are there any 'utility' monsters worth summoning of 6th level or lower? Healing or things that can cast 'Solid Fog' or other crowd control spells.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 summoning advice

If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

...I once summoned celestial badgers to dig out a party member who had been smacked down by an entomber... Elementals are useful for being elementals. You know, fire elementals if you want to burn a place down, water elementals if you change your mind. Something large and flying would be useful if you want to get from point A to point B in (CL) rounds or less. For the most part, however, Summon Monster spells are not great.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll agree with elementals, but unfortuantely Fire and Water are the worst 2. Fire are just plane weak compared to Earth in shear power, and Water can't exist outside of a body of water, which limits their usefulness. Air are really the best, especially when they go into Whirlwind mode. You can use them for transportation or for combat. The WW is a reflex save, which is the best save to target on most bigger enemies, and anything melee oriented is pretty much completely disabled while stuck in the whirlwind.

Other good summoning advice is to know your outsiders (Eladrin are fun) and highly magical creatures (like Cuatls). Most of them have spell-like and spellcasting abilities, so summoning them expands your own magical repetoir of spells 4-5 times. Thats verstitility, but requires a bit of homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I'll agree with elementals, but unfortuantely Fire and Water are the worst 2. Fire are just plane weak compared to Earth in shear power, and Water can't exist outside of a body of water, which limits their usefulness. Air are really the best, especially when they go into Whirlwind mode. You can use them for transportation or for combat. The WW is a reflex save, which is the best save to target on most bigger enemies, and anything melee oriented is pretty much completely disabled while stuck in the whirlwind.
    Seconding this. Air and Earth are the best two. Earth wins in dungeons due to being able to walk through walls, come back to party and report what it sees. Summon a specific one and you can have it set off traps and tell you what happened to it after it dies.

Speaking of traps, Celestial Monkey can open chests and turn latches.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Speaking of traps, Celestial Monkey can open chests and turn latches.
    Man, that adds a whole new meaning to the expression "trapmonkey"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thoqua are sick. They're game breakingly good at tunneling through walls.

Don't overlook the much maligned lantern arcon. If you have something with a lot of damage reduction, spell resistance, or spell immunity a hoard of these suckers can spread out around it and whittle it down to size.

Celestial lions are your main damage and combat

Learn celestial, terran, ignan, and the language of anything you summon regularly so you can give them orders. They all have an intelligence score of at least 3, meaning you can give them more commands than attack stay and defend