New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Divine Ultimate Magus

Not necessarly an Ultimate Magus, but a prestige that advances two divine classes at the same time? Anything of the like out there?
    Arena Medals:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Ultimate Magus

There's ErrantX's Divine Hierophant, if your DM is not averse to homebrew :)
    My current homebrews

The gods play with dice and parchment!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, I totally got mentioned :P

But yeah, I was always bummed about there not being a UM version for divine casters so I made that one. If your DM allows it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Been after one myself.

Might see about using your Divine UM myself.

EDIT: After reading it.
    How would you qualify for it?
    Does not seem to be many ways into the class.

Also it is just a slightly more higher powered UM but for divine. :P
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-06-24 at 09:37 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well I can definitely think of a few ways off hand.

You can get knowledge religion off of several priestly classes such as cleric, or favored soul.

As for Prepared: Cleric, Druid, Healer are all possibilities. There are also prestige classes offering prepared divine casting.

Spontaneous: Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine both seem to fit the bill.

I'm sure there are other base classes that offer prepared divine casting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Awesome, I totally got mentioned :P

But yeah, I was always bummed about there not being a UM version for divine casters so I made that one. If your DM allows it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

-X
    Looks like a cool class by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Ardent + Archivist + http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b ?
    == victory?

I don't know any good early entry tricks for it, but it's sorttttttaaa like a UM for divine ;)
    Not really at all, but in a... who am I kidding. I just love Ardent.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-06-25 at 12:16 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Josh the Aspie View Post
    Well I can definitely think of a few ways off hand.

You can get knowledge religion off of several priestly classes such as cleric, or favored soul.

As for Prepared: Cleric, Druid, Healer are all possibilities. There are also prestige classes offering prepared divine casting.

Spontaneous: Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine both seem to fit the bill.

I'm sure there are other base classes that offer prepared divine casting.
    One could use Ur Priest and Archivist for the prepared side as well, and as far as spontaneous those are the only two Core/Complete classes that fit the bill, as well as the Mystic class from the 3.5 Dragonlance material.

Really, it's not a difficult class to get into, with entry reqs similar to Ultimate Magus.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    Looks like a cool class by the way.
    Many thanks :)

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    One could use Ur Priest and Archivist....
    The latter, but not the former. If you have any divine casting, you must forsake it to be an ur-priest.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Meh, Spirit Shaman is ok.
    Favoured soul is my least favourite class fluff wise.
    I can never work it into campaign worlds very well.
    I think it is a horrid class for fluff.

Great class crunch wise.

This is also not the sort of prestige class a spirit shaman would often take fluff wise. Very much limiting it to Favoured souls for the most part rp wise.

Sure you could justify both of them in some way.
    But when I think of the personality of the characters involved I cannot see these guys taking it.

The prestige class works better for those who would be a cleric of certain gods and archivists. Some more bookish Paladins as well.

The Arcane UM works because of the broad way sorcerers work and the bookish approach that wizards take. Arcane casting is about power.
    Divine casting is about faith and inner development. It is about forming mystical links to spirits and/or divine beings, understand the soul of the universe instead of the mechanics. (though it does not exclude such things)

All you seem to have done with this prestige class is literally taken UM and added a couple of abilities, changed each instance of arcane to divine and called it a day.
    Was just hoping for something a little more unique was all.

Maybe I'll give it a shot myself at some point. :)
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    stuff
    I'm, on a similar page to this guy...I don't particularly see divine spellcasters going down this sort of route, purely from a fluff perspective. I see a PrC along these sorts of lines less as progressing two casting classes, but rather making a prepared divine caster become (more) spontaneous over the course of the class (or vice versa, I guess); kind of gaining a selection of 'mastered' spells known each level that can be spontaneously cast from open spell slots or somesuch...perhaps even enforcing a theme to these spells; e.g. upon taking the class you must select your 'path' (healer, destroyer, etc.) and that dictates what spells you can 'master'.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Ardent + Archivist + http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b ?
    == victory?

I don't know any good early entry tricks for it, but it's sorttttttaaa like a UM for divine ;)
    Not really at all, but in a... who am I kidding. I just love Ardent.
    I don't know of any Ardent/Archivist tricks, but Ardent/Favored Soul is fairly easy. Practiced Manifester (Complete Psionic) counts your manifester level as 4 higher up to your HD, and Ardent gains power levels based on ML, not class level. So, as a human you take Favored Soul and the Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell feats, letting you combine 2 1st-level slots to cast a 2nd level spell. Take 2 levels of Ardent and Practiced Manifester at 3rd level; with ML 3, you can learn a 2nd-level power. Voila, FS 1/Ardent 2/Psychic Theurge 10/X 5. Or FS 2/Ardent 1/Psychic Theurge 10/X 5 if you prefer, as long as you take FS at 1st level and Ardent at 3rd.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this