New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default About druid animal companion

And here we've got yet another duid thread. (They do show up a lot lately, don't they? )

Well, anyhow. I'm going to play a druid up to L5 in an upcoming campaign, and then I'm going for Master of Many Forms.
    Now. An animal companion is nice, but since i'm only getting it up to L5, I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.

My question to you, is there any way to trade the animal companion in to something else, (except the Elemental Companion from Complete Mage. Sounded like a good plan, but also dependant on the druid progression)
    Last edited by Asheram; 2009-06-24 at 10:54 AM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

2. - Top - End - #2

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: About druid animal companion

There is the Wild Cohort feat (search the wizards website). Ask your DM if you can combine that with that feat that increases your Animal Companion's level by 3 from Complete Adventurer to get your animal companion back.

As for trading away your animal companion, I don't know, i've never even considered doing that.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

The Pathfinder RPG beta allows limited domain casting in exchange for an animal companion, but I don't know if that would be allowable in your campaign.

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    that feat that increases your Animal Companion's level by 3 from Complete Adventurer
    Natural Bond.

Also, the PHB 2 has an ACF for Druids that bails on the Animal Companion in order to spontaneously cast Fast Healing for X (X= Level of spell given.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.
    It won't be. Unlike a Paladin or a Wizard, a Druid doesn't get penalized for her special animal friend getting killed off. You also don't have to wait to replace it, although you do need a day of downtime.

Just another way that Druids Are Better.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Natural Bond.

Also, the PHB 2 has an ACF for Druids that bails on the Animal Companion in order to spontaneously cast Fast Healing for X (X= Level of spell given.)
    No. Spontaneous Rejuvenation is exchanged with Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.
    Image by Rich Burlew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Druidic Avenger (unearthed arcana) trades animal companion and spontaneous summon for rage like a barbarian and fast movement.

Not a great trade, but if its what you're looking for...
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2009-06-24 at 03:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Go for a Dire Bat that gives you flight for no spell slots or items and blindsight's always cool beans. Then when it gets ganked shrug and move on. It's an AC not a familiar so who cares. That or something with scent but I'd go for the blindsight meself.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Thanks for all the great tips. I've been contemplating most of them, but there isn't really anyhing that I find useful among them.

I'll try to make this work with an animal companion after all, I guess.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks for all the great tips. I've been contemplating most of them, but there isn't really anyhing that I find useful among them.

I'll try to make this work with an animal companion after all, I guess.
    Or you could just not. Like you said it's not going to be all that important after a while and it does slow you down if you're moving fast or running through built up areas to have a random gribbly trailling you around. Could just be something you consign to the 'oh yeah, I forgot I had that' bin like the resist nature's lure bit or how many bits of chalk you've got.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Random NPC View Post
    No. Spontaneous Rejuvenation is exchanged with Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.
    *facepalm*

That's what I get for trying to remember these things while AFB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Or you could just not. Like you said it's not going to be all that important after a while and it does slow you down if you're moving fast or running through built up areas to have a random gribbly trailling you around. Could just be something you consign to the 'oh yeah, I forgot I had that' bin like the resist nature's lure bit or how many bits of chalk you've got.
    *chuckles* already traded that in for the "desert druid" variant. Already playing a desert elf so the 5 fire resistance seemed too good to pass up.

But you're right. I'll probably have him killed off somewhere until I can get back on track with the druid class again. (around L16 :P and then just as cannonfodder)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

You could always try the wildshaping ranger, rather than playing a druid. By level 5, your companion (and your spells) is pretty much a moot point anyway, and you get better BAB for it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I would definitely go either Druidic Avenger, possibly with Wild Cohort to have a viable animal companion if you want, or use Wild Shape Ranger instead of Druid. You should also take one level in Nature's Warrior fairly early to gain Nature's Weapon so you won't need to worry about DR/Magic. Warshaper is also a superb choice, but I'd get seven levels in Master of Many Forms before taking that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

And here we've got yet another duid thread. (They do show up a lot lately, don't they? )

Well, anyhow. I'm going to play a druid up to L5 in an upcoming campaign, and then I'm going for Master of Many Forms.
    Now. An animal companion is nice, but since i'm only getting it up to L5, I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.

My question to you, is there any way to trade the animal companion in to something else, (except the Elemental Companion from Complete Mage. Sounded like a good plan, but also dependant on the druid progression)
    The only way i know of is to be the variant druidic avenger. Essentially a druid with rage.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm. Natural bond + 1 level of beast master=+7 animal companion level.(3 from NB, 3 from class feature on beast master, +1 for levels in beastmaster.)

I believe both of those are in the complete adventurer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    The Pathfinder RPG beta allows limited domain casting in exchange for an animal companion, but I don't know if that would be allowable in your campaign.
    Aye, you can trade it for access to the Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Animal, Plant, or Weather domain.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Alright. I decided to stick with an Animal Companion so far. We'll see how it goes and if it goes too bad, I'll ask my GM if I could retrain or something.

Anyhow. Now I'm sitting with a Hyena as an animal companion and I'm trying to figure out how to write him up...
    Now, just tell me if I've got it wrong here...
    A hyena starts with 2hd. Due to the fact that I'm a druid level 3, he gains an additional 2hd (into 4hd) and according to advancement, he's now a large creature? Is this correct?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright. I decided to stick with an Animal Companion so far. We'll see how it goes and if it goes too bad, I'll ask my GM if I could retrain or something.

Anyhow. Now I'm sitting with a Hyena as an animal companion and I'm trying to figure out how to write him up...
    Now, just tell me if I've got it wrong here...
    A hyena starts with 2hd. Due to the fact that I'm a druid level 3, he gains an additional 2hd (into 4hd) and according to advancement, he's now a large creature? Is this correct?
    Advancing an Animal Companion does not increase the size. I don't know that there has ever been an explanation for why that is, but them's the breaks.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    It won't be. Unlike a Paladin or a Wizard, a Druid doesn't get penalized for her special animal friend getting killed off. You also don't have to wait to replace it, although you do need a day of downtime.

Just another way that Druids Are Better.
    If your DM lets you get away with murdering animal after animal, sure.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Advancing an Animal Companion does not increase the size. I don't know that there has ever been an explanation for why that is, but them's the breaks.
    Hmm.. where does it say that they don't? If you don't mind me asking. I've been joyful now for a few hours that I get a mount as well as an Über pet :P

Edit:
    Son of a ... oh, nevermind. I found it... Argh! Bloody rules.
    Last edited by Asheram; 2009-06-26 at 01:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. where does it say that they don't? If you don't mind me asking. I've been joyful now for a few hours that I get a mount as well as an Über pet :P

Edit:
    Son of a ... oh, nevermind. I found it... Argh! Bloody rules.
    Just ask your DM. I mean, you're already playing a half-way optimised druid, adding a large animal companion isn't really going to make that much difference at this point, is it? :)

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Just ask your DM. I mean, you're already playing a half-way optimised druid, adding a large animal companion isn't really going to make that much difference at this point, is it? :)
    *sighs* problem is that I'm trying Not to optimise too much.
    I'm doing it on habit.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    If your DM lets you get away with murdering animal after animal, sure.
    Death is an important part of the natural cycle.

I don't think that there's actually anything about druidism that requires Druids to be nice to their animal companions. I find it easy to imagine an Evil Druid being particularly unkind to his pet.

But of course there's a difference between considering your animal companion expendable and just outright slaughtering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

I don't think that there's actually anything about druidism that requires Druids to be nice to their animal companions. I find it easy to imagine an Evil Druid being particularly unkind to his pet.

But of course there's a difference between considering your animal companion expendable and just outright slaughtering it.
    Spoken like a true follower of Obad-hai

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Are you familiar with Native American philosophy?
    You can stab the **** out of a deer, or a bear. The bigger the bear you kill, the more manly you are.

But you better use every little piece of that thing, right down to the tendons, or you are committing a grave disrespect to Brother Bear, and he may not grace you with his pelt next season.