Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Final thoughts on the alignment of my character?

Originally after taking the alignment quiz, this character got Chaotic Neutral, though this has shifted to Chaotic Good. Really, I'm not certain about that -- it gets complicated.

The character is sort of a trickster/femme fatale for some of the good ol' Tropes that match up her personality. For the most part, she isn't really malicious at all -- she can be manipulative and toy with people, but it's merely for grins 'n giggles and she doesn't mean anyone real harm.

She is a mercenary/assassin, but she will only take specific jobs: she turned down jobs until the details about the target would be revealed, to judge whether or not they were bad, or if it's just someone another evil person wants out of the way.

While not taking a particularly active role in providing for the poor, when she passed through towns, she would throw gold to the children of commoners, as she enjoyed seeing them excited and happy as even a single gold piece was a lot of money to them.

While she could be unpleasant to deal with and has temper issues, there is a softer side -- she used to be more benevolent, but throughout her character development, she became more defensive and doesn't want to show vulnerability due to various circumstances I'll spare you of.

She has certain aspects of Chaotic Neutral, but I don't think she really qualifies. Mainly -- He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. She feels that the folks in charge are no better than anyone else, and they treat the common folk wrongly, which is leaning towards Chaotic Good. However, there was an incident that makes me iffy.

She was offering her services to an expedition led by a high level paladin, who was supposedly Lawful Good, but the player made him seem more Lawful Neutral, to me. He spoke to her as if they were still in the city and they were a bunch of aristocrats, and talking about how maintaining such pleasantries separated them from the beasts inhabiting the area (in regards to the foreign, more monstrous civilized races in the area), and it was their responsibility to maintain control and law as if they were back home. So she pointed out how under his leadership, the expedition lost more than half of its members, and asked him what progress he had made in his mission. Him: "I don't have to answer that."
    So, she decided that she would teach him a lesson, to show him that he was never in control in the first place, as his various mistakes caused by arrogance hadn't taught him otherwise. She offered her aid and that of her companions to kill a powerful insane hermit wizard, in return for half of the value of his magic items, which ended up being reasonable. But he refused, and basically said "You'll be paid what I want to pay you.", and marched off to see the wizard, the powerful-insane-wizard-hermit of the-mountains-they-were-in! He ended up lying on his back helpless, atrophied to the point where he couldn't lift his own gear and fight, and while his companions were wisely backing off, she stood by for the time being asking him if he would like to renegotiate, and so he told her that her terms were agreeable. (She wouldn't have actually allowed his companions to be killed, but I imagine this might be pushing it.)

There's more, but eh. So, what do you folks think? Could this character pass off as Chaotic Good?
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-06-29 at 04:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Having difficulty figuring out the alignment of a character.

I would say Chaotic Neutral. Reasons being :

Assassin, but picky about jobs and as such, it's implied she wouldn't harm innocent people. D&D subjective morality says that killing someone evil is a neutral act. The only reason I would say she isn't Good aligned is because she requires money for her skills; She's putting her life on the line to kill evil creatures, certainly, but she's doing it to line her own pockets. If she were to take contracts regularly without requiring pay, essentially risking herself to end Evil target's lives.. then that'd be Good. But mercenary action like that can never rise above Neutrality, at least in my opinion.

I don't think you're debating Chaotic at all, so I'll leave that be.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I'd say Chaotic Neutral. She's not vicious enough to be Evil, but your explanation of the 'assassin' part pretty much disqualifies her from Good.

It's not impossible to have a Good character who explicitly makes her living by being paid to kill people, but you have to have some REALLY strong commitments to balance it out. "I only assassinate people once I'm convinced they're evil" isn't enough.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'll third CN, for what it's worth. She doesn't strike me as "good" in really any way at all. Yeah, she gives money to kids, but that's because she likes seeing them laugh and play, not because she likes giving to charity. Stuff like that is textbook CN in my thoughts.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5

Might she be Chaotic Neutral leaning towards Good?

Spoiler
    Show

Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    I would say Chaotic Neutral. Reasons being :

Assassin, but picky about jobs and as such, it's implied she wouldn't harm innocent people. D&D subjective morality says that killing someone evil is a neutral act. The only reason I would say she isn't Good aligned is because she requires money for her skills; She's putting her life on the line to kill evil creatures, certainly, but she's doing it to line her own pockets. If she were to take contracts regularly without requiring pay, essentially risking herself to end Evil target's lives.. then that'd be Good. But mercenary action like that can never rise above Neutrality, at least in my opinion.

I don't think you're debating Chaotic at all, so I'll leave that be.
    Well, she doesn't really require payment to kill evil people. If she found the people she had been hired to kill and wasn't offered pay, she would get rid of them -- however, since there are folks offering her money to do it, why not accept it?

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    Unlikely.

The PHB describes Good as "altruism, repect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make sacrifices to help others."

Your character doesn't sound like she makes sacrifices to help others. She mostly seems to help herself, and she'll help others if it suits her or is convenient. That's Neutral.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Unlikely.

The PHB describes Good as "altruism, repect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make sacrifices to help others."

Your character doesn't sound like she makes sacrifices to help others. She mostly seems to help herself, and she'll help others if it suits her or is convenient. That's Neutral.

- Saph
    Er, wait, I didn't mention this. I'm not sure if it helps much, but she has the philosophy that she'll provide comfort for herself, her friends, and her family, and then after that, she provides for other people. Is that still Neutral?
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-06-27 at 03:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Er, wait, I didn't mention this. I'm not sure if it helps much, but she has the philosophy that she'll provide comfort for herself, her friends, and her family, and then after that, she provides for other people. Is that still Neutral?
    Pretty much. Good people help everyone. Evil people help themselves. Neutral people help friends & family. They might help others too, but only if it's not too much trouble.

Bear in mind that in standard worlds, humans are Neutral on the Good-Evil axis. To qualify as Good, you have to be a bit unusual.

Also, I'd still be a bit twitchy about the 'kills people for money' thing.

- Saph

10. - Top - End - #10

Alright, thank you everyone. Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean she's a bad person anyway, I guess. It's a little bit tiresome to see Chaotic Stupid Chaotic Neutral, where you can get away with nearly anything.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, thank you everyone. Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean she's a bad person anyway, I guess. It's a little bit tiresome to see Chaotic Stupid Chaotic Neutral, where you can get away with nearly anything.
    Damn right. This character sounds like a well played, well reasoned out, Chaotic Neutral, which is the best way to play alignments really: well thought out. Kudos to you sir!

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yep, nowhere near 'Good' category, if she negotiates her terms of contract when a paladin (or anyone for that matter) lies on the floor dying.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Salt_Crow View Post
    Yep, nowhere near 'Good' category, if she negotiates her terms of contract when a paladin (or anyone for that matter) lies on the floor dying.
    It was less about the money and more about deflating his ego.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Damn right. This character sounds like a well played, well reasoned out, Chaotic Neutral, which is the best way to play alignments really: well thought out. Kudos to you sir!
    Thanks muchly.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

By paragraph:
    __
    C_
    C_, CG if will kill evil w/o profit
    __
    C?_
    C!_

Originally I was going to say strongly CG. Then after Saph pointed out a lack of altruism, I reread it to search for selflessly helping others. I found none. Instead she only avoids evil, which is quite different. So she is N for being neither E nor G, in the same way that most real people are N. i.e., uncomfortable about committing evil but not willing to make a stand against it for nothing. She has plenty of examples of C, to which I think no one would disagree, so I'd say strongly CN, without leaning towards anything. i.e., both strongly C and strongly N.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-06-27 at 03:32 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I still think there's a slight leaning towards Good in this. A character who would be absolutely Neutral in regards to Good and Evil would only provide to herself and the people she's close, without thinking that they can have "too much" and that she should give some attention to unknown, more unfortunate people. After all, even strongly Good-aligned characters have priorities when it comes to chose someone to help, to the point that's an expected part of the heroic archetypes to help their friends and family at all costs.

So... I would say your character is still Chaotic Neutral, but will also disagree with most of the precedent posts when saying that she does tends towards Goodness. While keeping the core of her character, you can either carry on the previous development to make her more strongly Neutral, go beyond it to make her more selfish and less selective about her targets (CN with Evil tendencies, or even "sufferable", non-omnicidal CE - it exists !), or exploit and deepen her soft side to the point she starts making personnal sacrifices in order to help others (CG)
    Last edited by Murdim; 2009-06-27 at 04:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    I still think there's a slight leaning towards Good in this. A character who would be absolutely Neutral in regards to Good and Evil would only provide to herself and the people she's close, without thinking that they can have "too much" and that she should give some attention to unknown, more unfortunate people. After all, even strongly Good-aligned characters have priorities when it comes to chose someone to help, to the point that's an expected part of the heroic archetypes to help their friends and family at all costs.

So... I would say your character is still Chaotic Neutral, but will also disagree with most of the precedent posts when saying that she does tends towards Goodness. While keeping the core of her character, you can either carry on the previous development to make her more strongly Neutral, go beyond it to make her more selfish and less selective about her targets (CN with Evil tendencies, or even "sufferable", non-omnicidal CE - it exists !), or exploit and deepen her soft side to the point she starts making personnal sacrifices in order to help others (CG)
    Well, she does believe in helping the weak -- she has the opportunity to be paid, so she takes it, but if she saw someone being mugged, she wouldn't be like "Hey, pay me and I'll help you,", there would be some thugs lying in the street unconscious, maybe with broken noses. And she's a thorn in the side of more vindictive aristocrats. Like I said earlier with the paladin thing, she wouldn't have actually allowed the folks following him to be slaughtered by the wizard while she watches -- she just wanted to teach the not-so-good paladin a lesson in humility. But there's still her having the priority of people close, so eh.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-06-27 at 04:41 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely chaotic neutral. Like not even a ghost of a chance of chaotic good. I don't care how much you care about the "common folk" - neutral doesn't mean you don't care, it just means that you're not driven to abject help nor abject harm. And you're not exactly helping them - you're just using them as pawns to gratify your own pride in how rich adventuring/assassinations have made you.

And letting a paladin suffer like that, while incredibly satisfying, is pretty far and away not a good act.

It sounds like you want the character to be good for some reason (your own alignment concerns, perhaps? A desire for redemption), but she's a mercenary assassin who's somewhat amoral in her decisions. Her habit of tossing money to commoners is more of an ego trip that it is an act of charity.

She is a mercenary/assassin, but she will only take specific jobs: she turned down jobs until the details about the target would be revealed, to judge whether or not they were bad, or if it's just someone another evil person wants out of the way.
    Even Lawful Evil assassins can work this way.

Remember. You kill people for money. Not like, they jumped you out of an alley and you had to defend yourself. Not like, they were an evil monster and were threatening a village. There is absolutely no way this can be construed as good. Neutral, yes. Good, not a chance.

Chaotic Neutral is not a bad or a stupid alignment, anyway. Chaotic Neutral is basically the absolute best alignment a character can be, options-wise - you can reject authority, go your own way, and not give a whit about petty subjective morality. It's people who interpret Chaotic Neutral as "Lunacy" (and to be fair, 2nd Ed's description of the alignment did this) who give it a bad name.

To reiterate: you are not Good, no matter how much you'd like to be. Perhaps you can strive for it. But assassination? Hard to justify, no matter your target.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Assassin class is evil. It's a requirement. A killer for hire in D&D, even without that specific class, can't ever be good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what I'd say.

Just like you can be a "dark grey" neutral character, you can very much be a light grey neutral as well.

You're relatively borderline I'd say, which in my case at least suggests Neutral over Good.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I too support CN leaning towards good. Sure, she may be an assassin, but she only kills evil people, and she also gives money away! And I don't think it is for her ego, because if it was her ego, she would let everyone know that it was she who had given the money. But, then again, she is an assassin. So, in conclusion, I think CN leaning towards good, but not that much.
    Offical Diviner of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub

The Vorpal Tribble:
    Roy likes big Sylphs and he cannot lie, You other fighters can't deny
    That when an outsider walks in with a small category And a winged thing in your backstory You get Charmed Wanna take a feat that's tough
    Cuz you notice her size was buffed...
    Thanks to Holammer for the Avvie!

Last edited by no-one in particular : Tommorow at 17:90 PM

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

Killing Evil creatures doesn't make you Good. If it did, the demons and devils in the Blood War would be Exalted-level by now.

One of the descriptions of the Good alignment is "respect for life". This character seems way too casual about assassinating people to be anywhere near the shallow end of the alignment pool.

- Saph

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

How bad is bad?

what is a more mercenary kind of Adventurer, after all, but one who kills "bad guys" in the form of monsters typically raiding from their lairs in dungeons, for money?

If assassin here simply means the profession, she could be Neutral at least, depending on how rigorous her choice of targets is, and how hard it would be for the law to deal with them.

Arilyn Moonblade in Elfshadow is the classic "honorable assassin" who only ever takes money to kill really bad guys.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Arilyn Moonblade in Elfshadow is the classic "honorable assassin" who only ever takes money to kill really bad guys.
    You're still killing people for money. Definitely NOT a good act. Neutral, MAYBE.

25. - Top - End - #25

True. But if money is secondary motive, and protecting others primary, it can pull the act from Evil to Neutral- especially if the villains you are hired to assassinate are so powerful that normal methods would cause far too much damage to innocents.

Tyrannicide is the most common form of assassination to be justified by some moral philosophers.

The character might be less Artemis Entreri and more Arilyn.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-06-27 at 08:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    You're still killing people for money. Definitely NOT a good act. Neutral, MAYBE.
    That is pretty much what every adventurer do for a living. Professional assassin or not. Why adventurers can, and usually does, belong to the upper half of the alignment chart (Good or Neutral leaning Good) ? Because of the kind of people they choose to kill.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

To expound on Hamishpace's question:

How can any adventurer be "Good" if killing people for money, no matter the other motivation, is bad or neutral?

Adventurer's commonly take jobs that involve hacking up a copious number of people - sometimes monsters, sometimes not. The cause is often just, but there's usually a reward as well.

So I'd ask this:

Why is the murder of one villain evil or, at best morally grey, even if done in the service of good... wheras a dozen or more murders done in the same service is heroic and laudable?

Killing someone in straight battle and killing them with a dagger in the back is little different in it's result - they're still dead.

I mean morally, what is the difference between taking a contract to clear out a group of necromancers, and taking a contract to kill a tyrant or underworld boss?

Now, in this particular character's case, I still say Neutral - but I don't think it's at all reasonable to say that an assassin, by profession, must be evil or neutral (this is one of the reasons I always got rid of that and the "Must kill someone to join guild" requirements on the assassin class).

On the money side of thing:

Typical adventurer's commonly charge of the same services, the difference being that the fighter and barbarian or yes, even the Paladin, will kick in the front door instead of sneaking in the back.

They still typically get paid for doing the job. Oh it might not be worded as a contract on a specific individual; it might be "Go to the temple of X and kill the high priest, for he has Y artifact and it is a danger to the world! Do this and you will be rewarded greatly!"

The real test, in my opinion, is being willing to do the job even when the pay is low or nonexistent if the reasons are right. (And likewise, not taking a job for the wrong reasons, no matter the price.) Ex: Said assassin is asked to deal with an underworld kingpin who's made life in the slums a living hell. The poor can't afford to pay, but they desperately need a champion. If you'll help them anyway, I'd say that's a sign for good. If you won't without pay... then you probably aren't good.

My 2 cents anyway.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

28. - Top - End - #28

BoED says the same "A First question cannot be "what can you pay" though an evil or neutral character can be that mercenary.

Also, it may depend on if you are being asked to kill the problem, or stop the problem. If request was "stop the raids" and when you do so, you make surrender offers which are turned down, its not murder to fight- you are acting as agents of the law.

Bandits- according to Champions of Valor, a good character should try and capture accused criminals alive if possible, so they can be tried and acquitted or sentenced. They should not be punishing the crimes themselves.

DMG2- even chaotic jurisdictions have trials, court systems, etc.

Elves who catch grave robbers, who surrender, don't kill them on the spot, but take them back for a hearing to see if it is warranted, in the Return of the Archwizards series by Troy Denning.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-06-27 at 11:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    To expound on Hamishpace's question:

How can any adventurer be "Good" if killing people for money, no matter the other motivation, is bad or neutral?

Adventurer's commonly take jobs that involve hacking up a copious number of people - sometimes monsters, sometimes not. The cause is often just, but there's usually a reward as well.

So I'd ask this:

Why is the murder of one villain evil or, at best morally grey, even if done in the service of good... wheras a dozen or more murders done in the same service is heroic and laudable?

Killing someone in straight battle and killing them with a dagger in the back is little different in it's result - they're still dead.

I mean morally, what is the difference between taking a contract to clear out a group of necromancers, and taking a contract to kill a tyrant or underworld boss?

Now, in this particular character's case, I still say Neutral - but I don't think it's at all reasonable to say that an assassin, by profession, must be evil or neutral (this is one of the reasons I always got rid of that and the "Must kill someone to join guild" requirements on the assassin class).

On the money side of thing:

Typical adventurer's commonly charge of the same services, the difference being that the fighter and barbarian or yes, even the Paladin, will kick in the front door instead of sneaking in the back.

They still typically get paid for doing the job. Oh it might not be worded as a contract on a specific individual; it might be "Go to the temple of X and kill the high priest, for he has Y artifact and it is a danger to the world! Do this and you will be rewarded greatly!"

The real test, in my opinion, is being willing to do the job even when the pay is low or nonexistent if the reasons are right. (And likewise, not taking a job for the wrong reasons, no matter the price.) Ex: Said assassin is asked to deal with an underworld kingpin who's made life in the slums a living hell. The poor can't afford to pay, but they desperately need a champion. If you'll help them anyway, I'd say that's a sign for good. If you won't without pay... then you probably aren't good.

My 2 cents anyway.
    Alright, so, as I was talking about earlier, what if you help the common people, those who can't defend themselves, for free, but have the upper class folks who don't have to worry about keeping their families pay you?
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-06-27 at 11:43 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Yeah, you're borderline. It all depends on where you take the character. Bravo on leaving lots of possibilities for developing her personality--seems like your character has a lot of interesting traits that could pull her one way or the other easily. (Make sure you talk to the player who's got the character yours is annoyed with. You want to annoy the character, not the player, right?)