A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I'm ashamed to ask this, but how do I shoot in X-com?
    When you have a soldier selected, click his weapon (it should be in one of the squares in the lower corners of the screen), select either Snap Shot, Auto Fire, or Aimed Shot, and click the alien (or civilian) you want to shoot.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I'm ashamed to ask this, but how do I shoot in X-com?
    First left click the weapon you want to use in the lower half of the display (you can dual wield, so depends on which hand). Then select which type of shot you want to try, aimed, snap, or auto (or for grenades, arm first, then throw). This will change your cursor on the map. Place it over the target and left click to fire. If you want to cancel, right click anywhere on the main map. This goes for anything you want to use like med kits, psi amps, etc.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, just so everyone knows:

Updated the first post. Now it has a summary of current X-COM personnel, and a bodycount!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Why is Eldan on the list of dead people?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Why is Eldan on the list of dead people?
    Because he's secretly a zombie, and has only been dancing along to Thriller this entire time?

>_>
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    Because he's secretly a zombie, and has only been dancing along to Thriller this entire time?

>_>
    I knew there was something fishy about this guy!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

He died all the way back in mission 2.

(He got better.)

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

8. - Top - End - #878

I object to my description on the front page. I do not use these notes to explain how awesome I am. I only use them to point out any oddities or problems X-COM encounters so we may correct them to increase our fighting capacity against the filthy xenos.

Now, if chiasaur11 actually let me shoot anything,...
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

9. - Top - End - #879

I'd object to my description if it weren't completely accurate.
    Last edited by Pie Guy; 2009-07-19 at 09:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You know this thread is full of 75% hilarity and 75% awesome to achieve the rare factor of 150% win. Also the tips have helped immensely in my successes at this game. The play through I just started has the tank I loaded into my Skyranger as the MVP scout. He also has an edge up on Lopez for having the great honor of capturing a sectoid Leader alive on our very first terror mission (hooray for small launcher reaction fire!!). So I had the alien/psylab researched by the 3rd week of January and the Psylab out just before the end of February.

I do have to congratulate you on the exemplary bravery (i.e. reckless insanity) that it took to get close enough to a chyrssalid to stun it with a stun rod. I think if you do continue with this Alex would be greatly interested in learning the finer points of the thermal lance. I also must put forth my resume for any potential openings for the cause. I'd be willing to protect the Earth by taking a position on the front lines or by assisting Cubey in the science division. I keep hearing rumors about a "Enforcer Project" that might have some interesting tech to work with, that or we can extend our current armor tech to the tanks, I mean think about it. If we were to take Lopez's core replace the turret with a Plasma cannon and put the same anti-grav tech into it we'd have the perfect flying death machine. He could take over a small nation on his own!! Not that I'd ever even CONSIDER such a horrible course of action. It's just too aweso... awful to consider.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I object to my description, for it implies I limit my spreading of the revolution to the aliens. I think I'm making progress with some of the engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Tyracus, you're in the next batch.

Actually, the next big hire ran me clean out of names.

And a general note: Anyone have any niggles, faults, or general problems with anything in this thread?

As nice as wave upon wave of unadulterated praise is, it doesn't help you improve your writing style.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I object to my description, for it implies I limit my spreading of the revolution to the aliens. I think I'm making progress with some of the engineers.
    *thumps BRC again*

"Look, you stupid Commie, you've been told time and time again to stop pestering people who have work to do. Besides, you should be out there killing xeno scum, like me!"

14. - Top - End - #884
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tyracus, you're in the next batch.
    Here's hoping I'm useful for something asides from becoming company for Fri over in the Med-kits.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Banned

Wow, 25% of the population survived. That really was a Tokio monster attack movie.
    Although you didn't have to kill that civilian. Zombies don't spread the zombie plague, they just maul their victims to death. However,.. being mauled by a zombie is probably much less pleasant than a quick death in a burst of laser fire. Four out of five X-Com scientists agree - it was an act of mercy. The fifth is a party pooper.
    Why did I say at the start that you didn't have to kill the civilian then? Well... I wanted to see what happens!

As far as Project Enforcer is concerned, I bring good and bad news. The good news is that the project is advancing steadily. The bad news is that at this rate, by the time it's finished the alien threat will be long gone. The best news is that it can be used for many more awesome things than just repelling an alien invasion.

(As far as your LP is concerned, the only thing I might have an issue with is savescumming. I might, but I don't - loading if things get VERY pear shaped helps in the long run, because if everything goes to hell then you have one very funny entry, but nothing after that. And this way you can have great entries all the way to the end.

Oh yeah, idea. What if you made posts about saves when things went south as some kind of alternate reality?)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-20 at 12:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I have little idea of what's going on, but damn does it seem exciting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Halfling in the Playground

With the descriptions could you put a space between people, or just underline the names? Makes it easier to read.

Also, my workplace has a very bright light and a large supply of coffee.
    Though I'd like to do something other than build laser cannons all of the time.

And push that request for some locks to the cleaning cabinet, I found four more bottles of ethanol alcohol is missing.

If your looking for names for the new recruits, we could try the android I have not secretly been working on in my "spare time" (2 AM to 3 AM).

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swot View Post
    With the descriptions could you put a space between people, or just underline the names? Makes it easier to read.

Also, my workplace has a very bright light and a large supply of coffee.
    Though I'd like to do something other than build laser cannons all of the time.

And push that request for some locks to the cleaning cabinet, I found four more bottles of ethanol alcohol is missing.

If your looking for names for the new recruits, we could try the android I have not secretly been working on in my "spare time" (2 AM to 3 AM).
    Well... we could use more Psi amps soon.

And Ruts? Nice to see you. Want a job? We could use a good door to door salesman.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-20 at 01:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #889

Checked the updated first page.

Oh man, I love this thread so much.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

20. - Top - End - #890

Ohh! Me! I want to kill the Xeno Scum! I do! I do............sir...

Sign me up for names if y'all need 'em!

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

21. - Top - End - #891

Well, in case you couldn't tell, I just got Xcom. It's funny, I had this one guy who could hit an alien at 100 yards with an aimed pistol shot, and he and four other guys were standing in the same general location, and each of them died seperately. Then the aliens nuked right there.

Also, 9/10s of my army are women. Standard?

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

IŽd object to my description on the cast page if it werenŽt so damn funny
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

And a general note: Anyone have any niggles, faults, or general problems with anything in this thread?

As nice as wave upon wave of unadulterated praise is, it doesn't help you improve your writing style.
    The picking on Copper running joke has been overused.

BTW, isn't he supply officer? Or did that get dropped on the floor?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

24. - Top - End - #894

Actually, the next big hire ran me clean out of names.
    I don't see my name on the personel list! Am I suposed to be some undercover agent or have you forgoten me?

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Eh, only for a short time, when everyone was just piling on. Recently, it's been way less, both in chiasaur11's reports and in the rest of the thread (the only instance I can think of is an offhand remark I made while commenting on my own general uselessness).

Anyway, I object to my description on the cast page - I don't drain the budget all that much ever since the cafeteria serves liquor.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-07-20 at 09:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I disagree on this count. Picking on Copper is still funny for me. YMMV and all related disclaimers apply, natch.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

I gotta agree about picking on Copper being overused. It can still be funny if used at the right times and in moderation, but at some point it just got kinda old
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

28. - Top - End - #898

*feels forgotten, too. Even if it was mostly Griff-related jokes*

Come on, not even one extra female soldier that can take naps in the armoury when supposedly on mission?
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    "Besides, you should be out there killing xeno scum, like me!"
    Are you admiting to being xeno scum!?

We should totally kill you and have me replace you!
    trill in da playground

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Default No rest for the wicked awesome.

After a long terror mission, we were all ready for a long break. Some booze, some mediocre Fictionalized Scientifics, maybe a pizza...

And then the alert came.

A freaking FLEET of ships was headed for England. Scouts, Supply ships, a terror ship...

All Snakemen.

England was about to be host to one of the nastier episodes of Doctor Who, complete with standard bodycount. I sent out our interceptor pilot. Maybe he could cut the casualties a little.

"Got one."
    "Good. Now get back to base, rearm, refuel, and let the other pilot deal with this one."
    "What? He's half a world away! He won't be able to get here in time."
    "Look, you're running out of fuel, out of ammo, and there are some dents in your little jet already! Come back to base. That's an order!"
    "KRZT! Can't hear ZSJKDN you. Signal's CRZ breaking up. Signing off."

I turned to Chumbley.
    "Shame. Good pilot, but he can't fake radio static to save his life."

A few hours later, a battered interceptor crashed into the hanger.

"Hat Trick!"

Discussing the mission afterwords, it got even more impressive. Apparently, the downed supply ship had been crushed with the crashing scout, wiping out what remained of the crew and payload. Only one statement felt appropriate.

"Hammer, you're a loose cannon! But you get results."

Of course, someone had to clean up the crash sites, and the Skyranger crew felt like a good choice.

The scout was a cakewalk. Copper and I cleaned up the interior, while Lopez took out any problems outside the crashed ship. The Elerium reactor was still intact, even.

The Terror ship was only a bit worse to deal with.

Snakemen and Chryssalids desperately tried to escape, but Lopez managed to deal with the outermost perimeter, and the survivors were quickly disarmed.

And then used to scout the UFO.

A lot had changed since Copper first stepped into a UFO months ago. Used to be we were flies. We pestered a mightier invader, nobly resisted wetting our pants, and were very happy when we got guns that could injure our opponent's pet dogs.

Now? Now we were death come to town. And the Snakes were beginning to realize that.

Not that it did them much good. Seems the aliens sent to dispatch our troops didn't notice their grenades had a notable defect. Their explosion was horizontal only. Which meant hovering six feet in the air made them entirely useless. Considering the only landlocked members of our team had proven themselves stubbornly unkillable, this made grenades a remarkably useless piece of gear for the aliens.

Lopez and I cleaned the upper deck and made sure every chryssalid was either dead or incapacitated, and, after checking with Knight and Fiddler that the aliens outside the ship were all taken care of, we left the ship to the cleaning crews.

As it turned out, we now had three captive Chryssalids. More than enough to utterly destroy any country on Earth, and three Chryssalids more than I wanted Cubey to have while he had a grudge against me. Oh well. At least the pay's good.

Very good, as it turned out. Seems we saved England, Tokyo, Egypt, and (given a broad enough definition of "saved") Canada, and all of them were more than willing to show their thanks in the form of increased funding.

Enough funding, in fact, to hire about ten more troopers to man the Manilla base. They'd be coming in soon enough. Which is good, as Chumbley still can't figure out how to use the remote control for the VCR at fort Fri.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-20 at 09:04 PM.