Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Let's talk about squad tactics, shall we?

My favoured approach is to divide all soldiers into "veterans" and "redshirts", based on their quality (the main factor being Shooting Accuracy - Shooting Accurace of about 55+ warrants admission into the veteran group, a soldier with less should better be really fast, strong and resilient to not be demoted to redshirt). As opposed to what many players do I do not kick the "redshirts" out to replace them with better soldiers, as this is Ironman and we will be losing soldiers anyway - I simply consider the redshirts 100% expendable, and they are the ones who will be taking the hits, while the veterans make kills from afar.

So the strategy amounts to the tank and the redshirts swarming out into all directions (map's edge excluded, of course), while the veterans use the Skyranger's wheels and nearby terrain features for cover and follow the redshirts only with a thorough distance. When a redshirt discovers an alien, I usually try to shoot it with a veteran first - the veterans are hardly moving, usually kneel, and they are the ones with the best accuracy, so they have a fair chance to actually hit, and they are so far away that their fire may not trigger a reaction shot from the alien, and if it does, the alien is unlikely to hit. No veteran ever moves around a corner or into a building without a redshirt passing there first. When an UFO is about to be assaulted, a minimum of two redshirts enter first. Redshirts are always positioned such that aliens discover them first, before they could run into a veteran.

This way, while usually losing 2-3 redshirts per mission early on (with better technology and armour it becomes significantly less), the soldiers that are actually any good usually survive - even when playing Ironman I had soldiers with dozens of missions completed, three-digit amounts of kills and a shooting accuracy of 120+.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

A slight warning: I make exceptions to the rules for the first ground mission. No mid mission saves, but I'm trying it from the start a couple of times to get the hang of it. And prevent myself from dying. Hey, my inspiration for combat tactics is Sarge from Red Vs Blue. He well understood the fact the rules only apply to everyone else. Also, given the outcome of the first month, a few positions may open up soon.

(Dang. Can't seem to get the pictures to show up here. Any tips from those who've done this sort of thing before?)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-28 at 04:21 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hey, it was either this job or night manager at In N' Out.

As requested, X-Com set up its initial base in mid Europe, giving coverage of surrenderville, the huns, tea sipping Bertie Wooster wanabees, and captain neutrality, not to mention the country that looks like a boot.

As the base was examined, accounting was taken of the research staff, grunts, and general base layout. While the first two categories were at least tolerable, the base layout was indefensible. Needless to say, I set to work revising the design immediately.

Once that was done, research was assigned.

Lasers were an A-1 priority, with the entire staff assigned to getting X-Com a method of killing people befitting a science fictiony military crew.

The crew was a motley lot, with soldiers derived from specialties as diverse as "battlefield logistics" and "Human infiltration".

Of course, about half of the group was nearly useless, but every glorious victory needs a pile of worthless rookie corpses. After all, if none of your men die, how can you complain about being hamstrung by government regulations to half the extent you want?

Having looked over my motley supplies, there was suddenly a blaring alert from the system.

Scrambling an interceptor, we blew a small alien craft out of the sky. With that first success, it felt fair to say X-Com had finally gotten started. Of course, one victory isn't a war. And it was safe to say that not every fight would be easy.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 04:33 PM.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd suggest Imagehack, actually. Hard to find the images again after uploading, but at least they just give you a link you can directly insert into the image tags here.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    (Dang. Can't seem to get the pictures to show up here. Any tips from those who've done this sort of thing before?)
    If you're using Photobucket, I generally save the Let's Play pictures for each update separate from all the other updates. I then go through each page, select all, and hit "Generate Code". Then just take the BB [img] code and copy pasta.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    If you're using Photobucket, I generally save the Let's Play pictures for each update separate from all the other updates. I then go through each page, select all, and hit "Generate Code". Then just take the BB [img] code and copy pasta.
    Thanks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Makes me glad you haven't died horribly yet.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm the best shot on the team, but I'm tied for biggest coward. That's... sort of fitting of me, actually.

And I still don't know what a Fighting Quartermaster is, what is it?
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    I'm the best shot on the team, but I'm tied for biggest coward. That's... sort of fitting of me, actually.

And I still don't know what a Fighting Quartermaster is, what is it?
    Basically, you're in charge of X-Com's stores AND you have to fight just like everyone else.

Needless to say, this leads to at least one mission of misery for you.

9. - Top - End - #39

Does my mission of misery have to do with being the quartermaster and stuff (if it does, how so?), or were you just saying that because 90% of the people who join X-Com die miserably and aren't missed?

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Does my mission of misery have to do with being the quartermaster and stuff (if it does, how so?), or were you just saying that because 90% of the people who join X-Com die miserably and aren't missed?
    Possibly both.

Also: Have you seen how the X-Com stores work? You'd need to be a miricle worker to keep them in order.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-28 at 08:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, pretty good soldier turn-out.

Which is good, of course, but also creates the problem of nigh all of those being worthy veteran material. We need more cheap rookies.
    Okay, how do I put this diplomatically... okay, so I see three soldiers in there whom I would classify as "redshirts to scout and be shot". The namesakes of these soldiers, please, please, please don't feel offended .
    These soldiers would be Other Guy, Dark Fiddler and Fri, unless I have made a mistake.

In this situation, I would actually give consideration to not include a tank, but instead just go with 4 further soldiers. With these three soldiers and a tank we would have only four "operatives" whom we could sacrifice freely. That's just barely enough; replacing the tank with four rookies would allow us to cover more ground more quickly and also give us the freedom to lose more soldiers before actually being forced to risk the really good ones.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Hmmm, pretty good soldier turn-out.

Which is good, of course, but also creates the problem of nigh all of those being worthy veteran material. We need more cheap rookies.
    Okay, how do I put this diplomatically... okay, so I see three soldiers in there whom I would classify as "redshirts to scout and be shot". The namesakes of these soldiers, please, please, please don't feel offended .
    These soldiers would be Other Guy, Dark Fiddler and Fri, unless I have made a mistake.

In this situation, I would actually give consideration to not include a tank, but instead just go with 4 further soldiers. With these three soldiers and a tank we would have only four "operatives" whom we could sacrifice freely. That's just barely enough; replacing the tank with four rookies would allow us to cover more ground more quickly and also give us the freedom to lose more soldiers before actually being forced to risk the really good ones.
    Hired two more guys after that, but I did get a tank. Actually, I'm a couple missions beyond what you see here. Just...

don't get too attached to anyone. (I also may have had a cheaty look at some psionic scores too. Also... interesting. And there's no way I'm letting you folks know ahead of time.)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-28 at 09:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Well, I at least a good shooting score will hopefully keep me out of grips with those terrifying ali-AAAAHHHHHH RUNNNNNNNNNN!

I was 85% sure when I signed up I'd be a redshirt.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So my namesake has the weakest bravery and strength on the team? Sounds about right.

Although stupidly high throwing accuracy? Ha! I wish!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh! I want to play! In fact, I want to play a never ending supply of red-shirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Eww, the interceptor still has a cannon?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Eww, the interceptor still has a cannon?
    Saw the first UFO before I was done getting all the Avalanches I wanted.

It exploded anyway, so no harm no foul.

And Rockphred, you're either forming the initial team at X-Com USA, or just as likely, you'll replace one of X-Com's many, many casualties.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-28 at 10:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Ready to yell warcry and charge heroically, Sir! That's what heroes do, right?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. This thread inspired me to try find a way to get this game working on mah Vista 64bit. Which proved to be somewhat difficult, and has led me to a somewhat ironic resolution for the problem.

Anyway, I could be some recruit if ya need me.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Hmm. This thread inspired me to try find a way to get this game working on mah Vista 64bit. Which proved to be somewhat difficult, and has led me to a somewhat ironic resolution for the problem.

Anyway, I could be some recruit if ya need me.
    There's always Steam. It's a fiver, but it's got DOSBox all set up.

Also, glad to have you. Hope you're good at dealing with mind control.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be willing to be a redshirt as well, if you need some more.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    There's always Steam. It's a fiver, but it's got DOSBox all set up.

Also, glad to have you. Hope you're good at dealing with mind control.
    Hey, I control minds myself.

With words only, though...
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

So, was there no one left to name after me?
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I say we should get more scientists to fill up the laboratory´s capacity. Also Avalanche is the only good arnament for the interceptors. And for the mission, tank would be a good choice, and soldiers should always go in pairs at least, to cover for each other and they should always keep enough action points for snap or auto shot if they see an alien moving.
    And if I may add, it´s Lokxy not Loxxy :)
    Last edited by Lokxy; 2009-06-29 at 04:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    okay, so I see three soldiers in there whom I would classify as "redshirts to scout and be shot". The namesakes of these soldiers, please, please, please don't feel offended .
    I voted to stay alive!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    I voted to stay alive!
    I agree if he want to scout he can bloodey do it himself

27. - Top - End - #57

Bah. It's like those alien can shoot people as righteous and heroic as us. They're bad guys, we're good guys. Simple equation. Lead on, my liege.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, was there no one left to name after me?
    Sorry. Got you a guy, but forgot to get a picture.

New post later today.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by That_other_guy View Post
    I agree if he want to scout he can bloodey do it himself
    I'm perfectly fine with swapping the soldier named in our respective sake with either of you. All I'm saying is, the soldiers currently named after you two are currently amongst the least valuable on the team, hence should do scouting duty. If you indeed care about your namesake staying alive, I'm sure chiasaur11 can rename the soldiers such that it's "my" soldier who is the worthless redshirt. I'll much rather have that which is the best for the team happen, than cling to my namesake's life.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #60

I wouldn't mind switching if my namesake didn't fit the actual me rather well. Also, if you die, I'm pretty sure you could stay involved in this somehow. Not like your namesake dies in a mission and you don't get to interact with this LP ever again.

Spoiler
    Show