Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

See that?

That's the kind of attitude that leads to promotions.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

*starts taking notes*

...show willingness to beat things with sticks...

Got it!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Colossus in the Playground

"Yessir!"

Whacks Cristo with a stick.

"Stop writing! Writing is for nerds, communists and aliens!"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-07-08 at 03:07 PM.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Can I just say I approve of our leaders opinion concerning the russian people. It's just what they get for abandoning the cause and being seduced by capitalism. Maybe if they had the fortitude to stay true to the revolution, they would have been able to resist the attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "Yessir!"

Whacks Cristo with a stick.

"Stop writing! Writing is for nerds, communists and aliens!"
    Fine.

*starts typing on a palm-pilot*

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

So... the aliens are nerds now?

Quick, shoot all the scientists!

Edit: That does give us some low-budget ways to deal with alien prisoners, though. We don't need alien containment facilities if we can just stuff them in a locker, for instance. Torturing them with wedgies are going to be a problem, though, as none of the aliens we've captured so far seem to be wearing any underwear.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-07-08 at 03:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Default We finally find somewhere to put Ninja with no risk to any valuable personelle.

Well, I'm proud of you all. Except Herman. We aren't communists here! (Except BRC)

Good note taking Cristo. Good to see my words preserved for posterity.

We began to transfer soldiers to Fort Fri shortly after the terror incident. Ninja's quick thinking allowed us a new gift for the lab boys made me decide he deserved a command of his own. And frankly, putting a few miles between him and Fri's autocannon seemed for the best for all concerned.

A second round of troopers followed. Kane's presence on both ships was duly recorded into the logs. Calling this odd seems a bit of an understatement.

The arrangements at the new base were decent enough. A skyranger would be loaded into the spare hanger to allow rapid response to any attack on US soil. Any large scale engagements would still lead to a response from GiantintheXCOM, of course, but small scale stuff was now Ninja's problem.

A nifty new doohicky came out of the labs once Ninja's crew was gone.
    Psi-Amp, it was called. Soon as the lab is built and testing is done, the thing should come in handy. For example, the days of insubordination from X-COM troopers would soon be over.

Meanwhile, Medkit production continued. As the science team returned to its standard mission perimeters of "make things to kill stuff", I decided to sell the spare 'kits to hospitals and such. Sure, murder and mayhem are our bread and butter, but dangit, seeing a sick kid survive due to YOUR efforts to destroy the Xeno more efficiently, it tears you up a little. Some day, in the not too distant future, that kid may join X-COM, and may even go on the frontlines, and die horribly for mankind.

Maybe I shouldn't have explained how Plasma kills you in detail when giving out the medkits. Some of the kids passed out from fear. Ah well. Build character.

Shortly after coming back to base, I got a call from Ninja over at Fort Fri.
    "Sir, spotted one. Passing the data on to you."
    I immediately hopped into the Skyranger. This time, we'd grab a few more alive. Chumbley had mention hyperwave radio once or twice, and from what little he knew, grabbing someone who knew more about that would be a good idea.

Lopez and I headed north, while Fiddler, Knight, Trazoi, and Eldan headed east. Lopez tagged a grey headed scumbag immediately

And I put it in a body bag.

Fiddler radioed in, an odd occurrence on its own given his attempts to avoid any evidence of existence to prevent a grisly death.
    "Sir... I think... I think I got one!"
    "That's grea"
    I then did a very convincing imitation of a radio being cut off in a hail of plasma. Paranoia is a valuable asset. Be a shame to lose it.

I then did the single most dangerous thing I'd had to do all mission. I spotted a Sectoid twenty meters away. It didn't see me, and it might know something. I charged and hit it upside the head with the stunstick. The thing hit the ground noiselessly.
    With that done, the UFO was unguarded. I called for Copper.

"Now, as there are no aliens, it should be perfectly safe to go in and jump around like a madman. Close your eyes first. That makes it more fun."

"You sure about that, sir?"
    "Absolutely."

When Copper charged in, I listened for Plasma. From the sounds, the number of Tangos would be easy to guess.

Sadly, the only sound was Copper.
    "Sir, three or four of them."
    "Wait. You're still alive?"
    "...Yes?"
    "&*()"
    I headed in. One sectoid dropped to a stun rod, another to a laser blast to the head.

Copper dropped the last of them with a laser round, and that was that.

The mission was a success. One of our two captives just lay there as earlier. The other, however, seemed to be trying to make radio contact with someone. Looked like we had our navigator.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: We finally find somewhere to put Ninja with no risk to any valuable personelle.

Well, I'm proud of you all. Except Herman. We aren't communists here! (Except BRC)
    Sir, isn't persecuting nerds an all-American tradition? Just because those damn commies stole the idea doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it, does it, sir? I mean, did we stop using nukes just because the commies had them too?

9. - Top - End - #339

Default Re: We finally find somewhere to put Ninja with no risk to any valuable personelle.

Good note taking Cristo. Good to see my words preserved for posterity.
    Excellent!

*follows around with a vidcam*

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    Sir, isn't persecuting nerds an all-American tradition? Just because those damn commies stole the idea doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it, does it, sir? I mean, did we stop using nukes just because the commies had them too?
    Outrageous! This is blatant discrimination!

It's just as much fun in Germany.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Son, nerds make nukes.

And Richard Feynman, one of those nuke making nerds, got more tail then we will ever see.

A little respect is in order.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Excellent!

*follows around with a vidcam*
    That gives me an idea. We should sell movie rights to hollywood before they decide to make a movie about it without asking us.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

That gives me an idea. We should sell movie rights to hollywood before they decide to make a movie about it without asking us.
    Way ahead of you soldier.

As soon as we have a suitably large action finale, the script is going to get a nice final draft.

Casting's started already. Seen "Saving Private Ryan"?

There's talks of the guy who played Private Ryan playing me. Not much of a motion picture fan myself, but he was good in an episode of Outer Limits that I caught in the mess recently.

14. - Top - End - #344

I see. Now I need to decide if Bruce willis or Nathan Fillion is better suited to play me.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Son, nerds make nukes.

And Richard Feynman, one of those nuke making nerds, got more tail then we will ever see.

A little respect is in order.
    Understood, sir.

Sir? Can't we tell our nerds to make us some nukes? I mean, every time the aliens attack a city we have to risk our necks by going in there ourselves. If we had nukes, we could just blow the place to bits without having to leave the base. We could even save money by using our patented Copper Delivery System instead of an expensive missile.

16. - Top - End - #346

"Sir... I think... I think I got one!"
    "That's grea" *sound of being cut off*
    "Sir? What happened? Did Candle Jack get y
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I see. Now I need to decide if Bruce willis or Nathan Fillion is better suited to play me.
    Fillion?

Heard that name somewhere before...

Bingo!

That's the name of the guy they got to play me in the film.

18. - Top - End - #348

He was in "Private Ryan"? Huh. Never knew that. Or saw that movie.

Hmm. Who else is left and cool enough? Sean Connery? David Tennant? I don't know... I might need several actors for different scenes.

Even though, as you all know, my faces always looks the same.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

How about the guy who played E.T.?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Outrageous! This is blatant discrimination!

It's just as much fun in Germany.
    you think you got it bad, ghosts get ignored all the time,

in fact I think i'll just go and join other team.

Die all you stinky Shisnos.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

What's that screenshot of? I don't recognise the interface.

v, Thanks!
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-07-08 at 04:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

What's that screenshot of? I don't recognise the interface.
    UFO2000

23. - Top - End - #353

Hmm. Nice. I've never played X-COM; since it consistantly refuses to work, only X-Force, it's german open-source relative. I'll give that game there a try.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by That_other_guy View Post
    you think you got it bad, ghosts get ignored all the time,

in fact I think i'll just go and join other team.

Die all you stinky Shisnos.
    Spoiler
    Show

Son, I believe you will realize in a matter of months just how large a tactical error you made.

Edit: Eldan, you tried the Steam version? It's just five bucks, and DOSbox is all set up.

Course, it might not be available on cydonia in Germany.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-08 at 04:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Eldan, you tried the Steam version? It's just five bucks, and DOSbox is all set up.

Course, it might not be available on cydonia in Germany.
    I bought it on Steam from the Netherlands, so unless Germany has some crazy laws on games about aliens, he should be fine.

26. - Top - End - #356

Switzerland, people, switzerland. Depending on who you ask, it's been between 300 and 800 years since we last belonged to germany.

Anyway, trying steam sounds like a good idea. Seems like I need to find someone with a credit card.

Edit: and now I have a strange desire to listen to "Knights of Cydonia".
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-07-08 at 05:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

...so unless Germany has some crazy laws on games about aliens...
    Not yet. dumdidummmorechars

28. - Top - End - #358

Oh, right. There are also some countries with laws on stuff like that around. Well, not going into politics now, but downloading whatever is still legal here.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right. There are also some countries with laws on stuff like that around. Well, not going into politics now, but downloading whatever is still legal here.
    Well, some publishers have really odd deals on these things.

Probably should be fine, but I'd check.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sir, I'm pleased to report that both the large alien and Copper have been subdued.

On a related note, sir, I need a new stunstick.