New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Ha-ha, that Copper.
    We hate you! (In character only, obviously)

Excellent. Operation Psychotic killing machine is going quite well. Soon, Copper will hate his team enough to be willing to take any injury to ensure vengeance.

And then, all you have to do is let him be mind controlled, and now his hardwired hatred for any teammates should be turned against the invaders.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    But isn't that exactly what a symph would do? Raise morale to the point where we become careless, so that we make mistakes?

Hah! I'm on to you, traitor.
    Is it just me, or is this beginning to resemble a game of werewolf?
    *Points at Eldan*

BTW, have I been generated yet, and what are my stats?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Is it just me, or is this beginning to resemble a game of werewolf?
    *Points at Eldan*

BTW, have I been generated yet, and what are my stats?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Yup.

You might not have gotten mentioned yet, but here goes. 59 time units, 69 energy, 34 health, 10 bravery (You aren't alone on this count.) 45 reactions, 54 accuracy (passable), 52 throwing accuracy (irrelevant), 32 strength.

You were one of the hires to replace the troops sent to Fort Fri. So far, your duties have consisted of sitting on your butt, and cashing a 20K a month paycheck.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    and that I'm kept in a room full of deadly, easily concealable weapons for most of my life.
    That's why you make a great club. All those grenades you keep trying to use knock the target out faster.....

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    That's why you make a great club. All those grenades you keep trying to use knock the target out faster.....
    For the record, using Copper as a weapon is one of the reasons you haven't made Captain yet.

He's a solid sharpshooter, and frankly, if I can't kill him (which is seeming sadly unlikely at this juncture) he might as well earn his 20K as a unique and valuable resource, rather than a worse version of of stun rod, which costs less than 10 rounds for Lopez.

Besides, the labs have a custom jobby in the works for you that should satisfy all close range killing requirements. Cubey has promised me it's 100 percent more lethal than the stun rod.

6. - Top - End - #396

*Said chiasaur to his private diary that nobody will ever hear ever at all*
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    *Said chiasaur to his private diary that nobody will ever hear ever at all*
    No, it's a public memo.

I hate you, want you dead, and the instant five or so cyberdisks reduce you to a paste, I will be celebrating like mad. It's just troops get attached to their weapons, and I'd hate to have to waste Knight when I get rid of you.

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    For the record, using Copper as a weapon is one of the reasons you haven't made Captain yet.
    Sir, understood sir. I will refrain from using my squadmates as weapons, sir.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

Coooper, coome join the dark side, we have candy over here

10. - Top - End - #400
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Sends his resmue off to work at X-Com Land*

Maybe his pin-point accuracy is his way of saying thank you for that 5 minute toilet break?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

What are my stats? That is, if I exist?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Ha-ha, that Copper.
    We hate you! (In character only, obviously)

Excellent. Operation Psychotic killing machine is going quite well. Soon, Copper will hate his team enough to be willing to take any injury to ensure vengeance.

And then, all you have to do is let him be mind controlled, and now his hardwired hatred for any teammates should be turned against the invaders.
    Sir, I thought the 'Charlie Brown' project was a total failure? You know, that ultra super top secret hush-hush project where a shadowy part of the government secretly raised a kid in a miserable condition where everyone insulted him and his friends keep pulling his football as he prepared for a kick in hope that he'll grown into a hate filled psychotic killing machine?

A complete total failure.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, but that was because he knew nothing different, and also, as a normally raised child - apart from the constant abuse - had certain opportunities to retreat from it.

But take a man that was raised like everybody else, has generally been met with at least some modicum of respect in his everyday life and has come to expect as much, and place him in an inescapable environment like, let's say, an X-COM base, then subject him to all this mental anguish, and you can count the days until he snaps.

Actually, Copper has proven oddly resilient. I truly wonder why.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-07-09 at 03:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Sir, I thought the 'Charlie Brown' project was a total failure? You know, that ultra super top secret hush-hush project where a shadowy part of the government secretly raised a kid in a miserable condition where everyone insulted him and his friends keep pulling his football as he prepared for a kick in hope that he'll grown into a hate filled psychotic killing machine?

A complete total failure.
    What the heck are you talking about? It was a complete success.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    Sir, understood sir. I will refrain from using my squadmates as weapons, sir.
    what about Armour?

sorry, someone had to say it.

Also, sign me up for a (probably one-way) trip to the battle field...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Sad.

Do you know, this is the first thread I came to this morning, and only *afterwards* noticed that 668 was up.

I'm turning myself into the psi boys for treatment. Those priorities are just messed up, man.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*Jimor runs across another Jimor sitting in the Fort Fri cafeteria eating an unknown type of sushi*

"Wait, what?"

"Don't worry about it, kid, you're just a figment of my imagination."

"Oh, OK then. This seat taken?"

"Help yourself. By the way, have you seen Kane around lately? Or perhaps Kane?"

"He's at the firing range and over in the corner there."

"Cool, thanks."
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

18. - Top - End - #408

I make everyone at Fort Fri cookies, because we all know that when I actually get into battle, I'm going to be running away at full speed, firing backwards madly, and trying not to die. Hopefully the cookies will make everyone forgive me for when I do that, because they'll remember that one time I made cookies and then it'll all be okay.

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Actually, Copper has proven oddly resilient. I truly wonder why.
    Well it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the brownies I keep sneaking him while no one's looking...

<_<

>_>

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

As per the usual question, have I been generated yet, or are you planning on doing so as a replacement?

And if I have, what're my stats?
    trill in da playground

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
    As per the usual question, have I been generated yet, or are you planning on doing so as a replacement?

And if I have, what're my stats?
    Same as above
    "Did we send the "don't shoot we're pathetic" message yet?" - John Crichton

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Default Standard crash procedure: Send Copper in, and hope he kills the tango before he dies.

With a utterly successful recovery, we all kicked back at the base.
    Outer Limits was on, with the traditional early airing for X-COM forces. Another UFO was spotted however, at the worst possible time. They were about to reveal who the alien monster was! (and therefore, they'd show a poor civilian sap seeing his entrails.)
    Ah well.

The Interceptor downed it almost instantly, but we delayed recovery a little. We needed to see pompous radio host Stan Harbinger get his, and no UFO was going to stop us!

It was just as well. The first suit of alien plate armor was finished just as Stan got a bullet to the chest, and I decided now'd be as good a time as any to give it a test run. I handed the remote to Chumbley and headed to pick up the troops who'd missed out on some ace alien action. Tengu temp was talking with Cubey by the Psi lab.

"Look, all I'm saying is I never felt this mental static thing. Stress and PTSD could explain the panic attacks a lot easier than alien mind control."
    "Considering the spikes in painkiller use around the base every single time we poke at the Sectoid Leader's brain, I'm inclined to doubt that theory. The lab's done, and I think the evidence should be able to convince even you of the value of this research."

I stepped in.
    "You can talk later. We got a shot down Sectoid scout, and as easily as Lopez and I could handle it by ourselves, I figured you might like to keep earning your paycheck as a soldier rather than a target range dummy."

I picked Copper up from the supply room.
    "Hey, worthless!"
    "Mission time again? At least I'll be able to see sunlight."
    "What you won't be able to see is the Outer Limits. Good episode too. It turned out the aliens existed after all, were possessing people, and they murdered the skeptical talk show host."
    "Why must you spoil every episode for me?"
    "Because, given your stubborn inability to die and general sunny attitude despite everything, I need to keep coming up with new ways to hurt you."
    "Secondly, why do you think I care? I've always preferred Voyager for my Fictionalized Scientifics."
    "Knew there was a reason I hated you."

We landed in a chunk of European farmland. I walked out onto the field.

First small shack had nothing in it, and Lopez didn't spot anything. I sent Tengu north.
    "Hey, Temp, go north and get shot at, will you? Need some triangulations and suchlike. If you can kill an alien, that'd be good too."
    "Guess it's that or court martial."
    "Right in one. Of course, for most troops the mere fact that it's an order is enough, but whatever works."

"Got it. Am I correct in guessing that's just the first in a long string of probably lethal tasks for me?"
    "It only took you one mission to figure out your place in things? Man you're good."

Lopez spotted another of the grays up by a hedge, but not in time to fire a shot. Pretty soon, everyone's favorite guy at the base was suffering a hail of plasma.

I sent Copper to draw the fire.
    "On it, sir."
    And he stayed chipper. I eagerly awaited the sound of plasma to the face.
    It never came. Instead, I heard a Sectoid's dying scream.
    "Lopez should be fine now. Got the tango. Also, I managed not to die."
    "I swear you're taunting me with that now."
    "I'm not, sir."

After a minor incident with a sectoid, a cornfield, and Sgt. Knight complaining about his weapon's performance as a club, we reached the scout.

Tengu checked the interior quickly, and got one of the crew, but there seemed to be more.

Lopez moved to the door as Tengu backed up. He'd take any hits for the team that might come. Brave HWP, that Lopez.

I spotted the rest of the crew after Lopez moved away. Me, Tengu, and Copper, who, for all his faults (See Copper's faults, volume one through 48, page 1 through 5,000) is a perfectly passable sniper, dropped the last couple of guys in the ship.

And thus ended another by-the-book X-COM mission. The armor worked fine, and was cheap enough to mass produce, so the command staff other than Copper'd be getting it soon. Things were coming up roses. (Yes, I'm tempting fate. How else can we bait it out so we can kill it for helping Copper?)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-12-14 at 01:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    what about Armour?
    Never happen. It's impossible to thwack properly while using a teammate as armor.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! Another mission gone well!

Hmpf. When'll some of those darn people DIE so us rookies get a chance to prove ourselves.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

25. - Top - End - #415

What about an attack in America? When will we ever get the Spotlight?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I survived my first mission - a good start. Let's hope my luck won't run out until Chiasaur gets killed and I won't have to listen to his orders anymore we develop better armor and equip everyone with it.

Another thing grabbed my attention, too.

We actually have a female soldier?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Hey, I survived my first mission - a good start. Let's hope my luck won't run out until Chiasaur gets killed and I won't have to listen to his orders anymore we develop better armor and equip everyone with it.

Another thing grabbed my attention, too.

We actually have a female soldier?
    Well, shapeshifting alien spy.

Just ignore it. Eldan's still killing the enemy, and as long as that holds up, we ignore the bits of spikey carapace jutting out.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

We have some nice platoons there. Captain Chiasaur II has something to be proud of.
    If only we had a full company though - like, a base or three more worth of garrison troops! A company would commanded by a Colonel, maybe a Commander even. Not a mere Captain.
    But, oh, surely Captain Chiasaur cannot be expected to deal with the logistical problems of keeping so many bases and personel under his command working. That surely would be stressful for Captain Chiasaur. Who wants to be a Colonel or Commander anyway? I'm sure Captain Chiasaur is fine with being a Captain. Not a Colonel. Captain.

Incidentally, I believe eastern China would make a good spot for another base. Not that it matters, of course, since it's not like Captain Chiasaur wants another base, right? I totally understand that, I'm sure he's gotten used to that Captain-rank. Colonel... who needs a Colonel...?

Psychology is my female dog.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #419
    Colossus in the Playground

How the heck can you see a female in that picture? I mean the soldiers barely have any detail.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How the heck can you see a female in that picture? I mean the soldiers barely have any detail.
    Look for the blonde ponytail. Everyone's blonde on the screen until they have personal armor, then they're redheads.