New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Play it, Sam. Play as Time Goes By.

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    It was a modified laser rifle with bayonet attachment. Knight's face lit up like a Christmas tree. Only one prototype was ever made as, quote, "Punching a Reaper in the face if you don't need to? Are you out of your mind?"
    I volunteered to join X-Com for the glory of humanity. Any more questions as to my mental state?

...and Sir? Thank you. Thank you ever so much for my new precious....I likes it.
    Last edited by Alex Knight; 2009-07-10 at 03:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Hoped you would...

Colonel.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #483

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

I see the "crack shot" next to my name, but I was wondering what the label "solid" meant. Trazoi and someone else both have it, and I can't figure it out.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    I see the "crack shot" next to my name, but I was wondering what the label "solid" meant. Trazoi and someone else both have it, and I can't figure it out.
    Passable shooters, not great. In other words, its a good idea to try not to make them eat a laser burst.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

On the topic of eating laser bursts, when will you create new rookies?

(And will I be among them?)

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

Got a whole squad of them warming the benches at GIANTINTHEXCOM.

You're one of them. In the event of a main squad member biting it, one of you guys immediately hops on the ranger.

You're not a great shot, but in general you're passable at most things. 50 bravery too.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

50 bravery too.
    I'm so gonna bite it.

8. - Top - End - #488

I admit to wondering slightly what "Ace" means, since I'm obviously not a fighter pilot. (thwacking things with your fighter tends to result in a dead fighter)

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    I admit to wondering slightly what "Ace" means, since I'm obviously not a fighter pilot. (thwacking things with your fighter tends to result in a dead fighter)
    Just meant your initial stats were the best in the unit.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

Default Re: Play it, Sam. Play as Time Goes By.

Cubey? You got any ideas on dogwelding?
    Research the live Reaper specimen and we'll see. I'd say it's dog-welded pretty solidly. This technology could be easily recreated in normal conditions, once we know how they did it.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

He stole the words right out of my mouth. I suspect Alien Communist Mind-Melds.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Don't worry. You top the list.

Next guy who bites it, you're in.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

All right! I'm a medical officer now! I can spout off faux medico lingo and get away with it.

"We need to perform experimental field eye surgery! Get me three CCs of dopamine and a laser rifle, stat!"

Awesome.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry. You top the list.

Next guy who bites it, you're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    All right! I'm a medical officer now! I can spout off faux medico lingo and get away with it.

"We need to perform experimental field eye surgery! Get me three CCs of dopamine and a laser rifle, stat!"

Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Times
    In a freak accident today, a valued member of X-com, human's only hope against the frequent alien invasions, died while under experimental eye surgery. Cause of death is not known, but the investigation points to a laser blast to the head. The police have no new suspects.
    YESSSSSS.SSSSSS
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2009-07-10 at 08:30 PM.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yes, I made SERGEANT!

Also, I've been talking with Chumbly, and I think with enough pamphlets, a phrasebook, a megaphone, and some method of mass mind control, I could incite the aliens to overthrow their oppressors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Yes, I made SERGEANT!

Also, I've been talking with Chumbly, and I think with enough pamphlets, a phrasebook, a megaphone, and some method of mass mind control, I could incite the aliens to overthrow their oppressors.
    I'm not sure we can get those.

I mean, pamphlets? Megaphones? You think we're made of money?

Mass mind control, we're working on that one.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    What? X-Com doesn't have access to man-portable machine guns?
    though this is rather late.... Laser pistols actually fufill this function nicely, IMHO.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

For those who haven't played X-com, behold the horror that is Chryssalids in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pycg...C81C0&index=17

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, of course Cryssalids will be a horror if you don't use any tactics and just run around as if you're trying to get your scouts infested and/or shot.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    What? X-Com doesn't have access to man-portable machine guns?
    We do... kinda. No weapon goes full auto, the best you can hope for are 3-shot bursts. So instead of quantity, let's go for quality and blow 25% of the battlescope map with one Blaster Bomb!

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
    Well, of course Cryssalids will be a horror if you don't use any tactics and just run around as if you're trying to get your scouts infested and/or shot.
    Gotta agree.

Guy sent out scouts to shoot at zeds with no backup. And he, while in desperate need of materials, sent nothing to intercept a scout right over Antarctica?

Geesh. No wonder the zeds got him.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Amateurs. Got what they deserved.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

It looked like he knew exactly what he was doing BUT was trying to be funny, not win. He knew - and said - exactly what was up with Chryssalids, but had done things like put his base on the south pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Default Apple pie, sectoids, and one suit of personal armor.

Also, he could be manufacturing Laser tanks for backup. No exotic materials needed.

I mean, Laser tanks aren't up to, say, hovertank standards for 'lid slaughtering, but they do pack a kick.

Well, it seemed the doctors were determined to keep me from the fight. Lousy traitors.

"Listen, maggot, have you ever seen a man's entrails on the outside? Because if I don't get out there..."

"Actually, I'm seeing that right now. I think that's your... liver sticking out a bit there?

"Flesh wound."

And, once again quoting Monty Python fails me.

"Well, we did get a transmission for you. Came from Fort Fri."

"Put it on."

The screen flickered.

"Hey, Commander. Heard about the plasma wound. Get well soon, okay? I heard Knight's the backup squad leader, and his tactical skills... leave something to be desired."

"I assume this isn't a purely social call? I could be planning a daring escape this very second."

"Right. Well, the squad at Fort Fri had its first drop. Figured you'd want details."

We found the UFO almost immediately. Kane, Jimor, and I went over to investigate. I sent Pie Guy down south to check for any aliens on watch.

"We managed to get to the first door with no injury, so I sent Kane ahead to scout. Like you always say Sir 'Command has a duty to show the men how war ought to be fought. And one of the main rules of war is to never risk a commanding officer when a rookie would do.' He spotted two Xenos."

I dropped one and we both returned safely to cover.

"Sadly, Kane's second scouting didn't go so well. I dropped the rest of the crew (including a remarkably stupid engineer). But it was too late for private Kane."

"Meanwhile, Privates Kane and Pie Guy..."

"Wait. WHAT?"

"I don't know either, Sir. Kane said not to worry about it, and the whole matter does seem a bit academic at this juncture."

"True enough."

"Anyway, Pie Guy dropped a Sectoid, and that was the end of the thing."

"Well, good job."
    "Thank you, Commander. Going to get some Pizza from the mess. Seems the value of the recovered gear should let us improve the quality of the chow a tad."
    "I'll put Pie down for a promotion."

"Won't that cause a bit of uncertainty about chain of command? I think there was a Sgt. Rock comic about that."
    "Every fifth Sgt. Rock comic was about conflicts of authority in Easy, and they did alright."
    "They are fictional, Commander."
    "You, son, are very lucky to be in another continent right now. Say that again..."
    "Right. Won't. Sgt. Ninja, signing off."

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

And so, poor Kane has departed. Or, in a sense, de-parted.

*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    It looked like he knew exactly what he was doing BUT was trying to be funny, not win. He knew - and said - exactly what was up with Chryssalids, but had done things like put his base on the south pole.
    Yeah, he was, it's in the comments.

Still, I have all rights to call other operatives amateurs while I'm at the base trying to figure out how often you can get drunk working for X-COM without getting fired.
    I mean, it's not like it would affect firearms accuracy, but still, with some people, you just don't know.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-07-11 at 01:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506

Hey, there's nothing wrong with my tactics! It's not my fault that the rest of the team aren't heros like the Commander and Lopez, or unkillable like Copper.

Close combat would work a lot better if we had more people like them.

(well, not like Copper, of course.)

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, the 8-Bit Theater way of solving time-space paradoxes. Classic.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, he was, it's in the comments.
    Ah, I hadn't seen the comments. It's good to be verified
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks like Kane is stealing my role of endless hoard of redshirts. Sadness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry about that.

The guys we're meeting next month might make the death rate go up a tad.

If it makes you feel better.