New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Is Alex Knight wearing a Chryssalid hat?
    If by "Hat" You mean "The carapace that used to be part o a Chryssalid's head". then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    If by "Hat" You mean "The carapace that used to be part o a Chryssalid's head". then yes.
    A graduate of the Belkar Bitterleaf school of fashion, I see.

3. - Top - End - #783

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Bah. Vibro-blades and chainsaws, that's nothing.

I say, if we can manufacture laser handguns, we can also make a laser chainsaw.
    drool Laser chainsaws... drool

Can't believe I never tought of that. Good sir, how could I best worship your awesomeness incarnate?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

For what it's worth, by 2084 we do have Plasma Swords
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

Yes, that. Like Cristo Meyers said, Belkar-type hat.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Default Snakes are more scared of you...

After that last mission, it was taken as a given we could take on whatever the aliens had.

And the radar transmissions the completed hyperwave decoder was getting tended to agree.
    "I heard their commander died in Casablanca!"
    "The last scattered reports from one of our terror squads seem to disagree. Vehemently."
    "The Chryssalids started breaking loose, despite all our safeguards. We're all going to die on this forsaken lump of mud."
    "I only hope the research teams find something. If we do not find a weakness in these metal nightmares..."
    Warms the cockles of your heart, doesn't it?

There was one oddity. Some half garbled bits of what sounded like human speech.
    "Chumbley?"
    "Well, I'm pretty sure it isn't a captive on a harvester."
    "Why?"
    "Not enough screams of unbelievable agony, commander. We might be able to pick up the signal better if we put a listening post in the South East Asia area."
    "Right. Also, it would be good to deal with a problem epidemic to Japan."

A few hours after the new listening post had been authorized, Cubey pressed a request for a large increase in project budget. Seems a new project seemed... promising.

I was impressed. This thing could be the key to eventually finding and destroying our enemy's base. It also would give us much faster disaster response, better fighters...
    Only one thing to say.
    "I'm not paying a penny more. Do the job, or I feed you to the Reaper."
    "Sir, it seems to be herbivorous. Also, we really could use more lab space to test the death from above theory."
    "Final offer: You do your job, and I give you first crack at any high explosives the aliens have."
    "Up to, say, guided missiles?"
    "Yes."
    "Pleasure doing business, Commander."

They did their jobs. The Firestorm, if we ever got around to building it, would be the envy of every fighter pilot in the world. If we ever take a break from laser cannons, it'll be the next project on the list.

I kept my end of the deal, and gave Cubey what explosives we'd recovered.
    He broke down sobbing when he finally deciphered the alien warning labels. It turned out that (Cow looking thing, Dinosaur with shotgun, Max from Sam and Max) did not, in fact, mean "Danger! High explosives!" but instead "Non lethal stun weapon. Safe for use near Elerium deposits."

Cubey's revenge was subtle, outright lying on reports regarding alien species. It seemed a good idea to try to make a peace offering fairly soon, before the Chryssalid report featured the phrase "Huggable."
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Banned

Default Re: Snakes are more scared of you...

Damn it, not the Small Launcher! The most useless weapon - by the time you research it, you no longer need it... unless your soldiers lacked in the courage and stun-sticks department.

Cubey's revenge was subtle, outright lying on reports regarding alien species. It seemed a good idea to try to make a peace offering fairly soon, before the Chryssalid report featured the phrase "Huggable."
    Chryssalids are, in fact, huggable. The last guy who tried to cuddle one seemed to be very happy last time we saw him, if his giant grin was any indication.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Small Launchers can be useful for taking out engine rooms, or on terror missions where civillians keep getting in the way.

Anyway
    X-Comic #4
    Excusable Absence
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Are the green things plasma blasts or alien blood?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #790

Small Launchers can be useful for taking out engine rooms, or on terror missions where civillians keep getting in the way.
    And the Command Centers of Alien Bases.

Anyway
    X-Comic #4
    Excusable Absence
    Spoiler
    Show

We're just waiting for Oprah's Book Club to pick up the title.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

But... how does he sign the books?

(Also, the X-Comics are incredibly awesome )
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    But... how does he sign the books?

(Also, the X-Comics are incredibly awesome )
    Lopez signs books like guns sign books.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Small Launchers are also useful if you still haven't managed to catch a psionic alien yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

14. - Top - End - #794

Lopez signs books like guns sign books.
    But wouldn't Full Auto fire end up killing half the people in the store?

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    But wouldn't Full Auto fire end up killing half the people in the store?
    Aaaaand this matters to Lopez because?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Less customers, of course.
    trill in da playground

17. - Top - End - #797
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yah. They've already bought the books.

Also, I don't have the proper image on my computer, but if I had a seal of approval available, I would award it to you, BRC.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Also, I don't have the proper image on my computer, but if I had a seal of approval available, I would award it to you, BRC.
    Here, you can borrow mine:

19. - Top - End - #799

Alrights! So, a little off topic but, I finally installed X-Com and started playing it aaaaaaaand.....I'm terrible....like...rocks fall, everybody dies, terrible. Any advice? I can't seem to get through a ground assault with at least half of my troops dying...

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzuro View Post
    Alrights! So, a little off topic but, I finally installed X-Com and started playing it aaaaaaaand.....I'm terrible....like...rocks fall, everybody dies, terrible. Any advice? I can't seem to get through a ground assault with at least half of my troops dying...

-Suzuro
    1) For a first playthrough, that's normal.

2) You can save in mid mission.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzuro View Post

-Suzuro
    Keep reaction fire, kneel when you can, learn how the Line of Sight works. Hope your guys can aim.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Do you have a tank?

Also, being a beginner myself, I usually lose 2 or 3 soldiers myself, sometimes even more. Just making sure that you lose expendable ones may be a newbie's best bet.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Do you have a tank?

Also, being a beginner myself, I usually lose 2 or 3 soldiers myself, sometimes even more. Just making sure that you lose expendable ones may be a newbie's best bet.
    This too.

Also: Try to avoid night missions. Send guys with good reflexes or guys you hate to check doors on UFOs.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

In case a night mission is unavoidable, keep e-flares on your soldiers.
    Get laser weaponry as soon as possible. Those laser rifles are infinitely better than the regular ones.
    Keep your best shots in the back, kneeling (kneeling improves your hit chance by 15%), move your expendable soldiers to the front, as soon as they see an alien shoot it with the ones from the back - if they are outside of the alien's sight range, it won't react, and soldiers with high accuracy who kneel are quite likely to hit, too.
    Oh, and don't give soldiers with rifles or other 2-handed weapons anything into the other hand, they lose accuracy then.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wait, you can save mid-mission? HOW!
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

The options menu.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    "Uh, hey Lopez. Sarge said that any of the customer's that you shoot I have to clean up. So, be careful or something. And if you do, he also said that I g- OW. Okay, okay. He said that you get the loot."

"Half the stupid book is in Spanish, and the other half is all scribbles... at least that UFO thing isn't McTravish. Or Blue."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    "Uh, hey Lopez. Sarge said that any of the customer's that you shoot I have to clean up. So, be careful or something. And if you do, he also said that I g- OW. Okay, okay. He said that you get the loot."

"Half the stupid book is in Spanish, and the other half is all scribbles... at least that UFO thing isn't McTravish. Or Blue."
    I think you got one of the misprints. My copy is a thrilling tale of adventure that speaks to our generation and may just be an insightful metaphor for Man's inhumanity towards Man.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #809
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh uh that might be Lopez's instruction manual.
    I keep a copy, for uh, inspiration.

30. - Top - End - #810

Default Re: Snakes are more scared of you...

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Chryssalids are, in fact, huggable. The last guy who tried to cuddle one seemed to be very happy last time we saw him, if his giant grin was any indication.

I do not "cuddle". I fold, spindle, and mutilate. Shall I demonstrate on Copper?