New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

I smell an alien base...

2. - Top - End - #902

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Another quick question from an UFO newbie:

-After the second month or something the UFOs that appear just laugh at my interceptors and run away laughing before I can get close. When I manage to detect them at all since I still only have a small radar and large radar.

What's the best way to shoot them down so I can loot them? Build a rocket battery or focus on researching the necessary stuff for my first UFO-fighter(and then still build it)? I'm running somewhat short on cash, but I have all the necessary materials to build my first firestorm(power source, alloys, ellerium and navigation system).
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-07-20 at 01:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

If an UFO runs away from you, then use two interceptors attacking from separate directions to catch it! If it starts to run away from one, the other will probably catch up.

Also, you might want to create a second base soon, on the other side of the globe - if your first one is in the US, then the second should be in Europe/Asia, and vice versa. The second one doesn't need much, just a large radar, general stores and a hangar with an interceptor. Having two bases makes catching aliens easier, too.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #904
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, sending the Interceptor to patrol the last known UFO position when one gets away rather than recalling it to the base sometimes results in the Interceptor picking the UFO back up on radar.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post

-After the second month or something the UFOs that appear just laugh at my interceptors and run away laughing before I can get close. When I manage to detect them at all since I still only have a small radar and large radar.

What's the best way to shoot them down so I can loot them? Build a rocket battery or focus on researching the necessary stuff for my first UFO-fighter(and then still build it)? I'm running somewhat short on cash, but I have all the necessary materials to build my first firestorm(power source, alloys, ellerium and navigation system).
    While having faster craft helps, it's not necessary - what really helps, and allows even Interceptors to catch enemy craft quite reliably, is a radar network that covers the entire globe. Start building additional bases, spread all over the world.
    If you need money, alien weapons, mind probes and UFO components sell for the most cash, so see if you have more of them than you need lying around.
    Otherwise, you can have your engineers have manufacture stuff and sell it for more. The laser cannon has the best ratio of cash gained to cash and time needed for producing it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post

Couple things:

1) As soon as you can, capture an alien navigator. You can do this by using mind probe to identify the navigator, then render him unconscious using stun rods or the small launcher.

Once this is done, research and build hyperwave decoder.

Hyperwave decoder is 100% effective. Built a network of these around the planet, and you will have 100% coverage of all land masses all the time.

Until you can do that, use 3 large radar sites at an installation.

2) Now that you can reliably detect bad guys, the time has come to shoot them down.

In the early game, you'll only be able to kill small craft -- Large Scout or smaller. Ditch the cannons and stingray launchers and arm your aircraft with twin Avalanche launchers.

UFOs exit orbit at very high speeds, too high for an interceptor to catch. Once it reaches it's target destination, it will slow down to a few hundred knots and hour, patrol around
    for a bit, then land. After it lands, it will take off and return to orbit at very high speed.

It's in this second phase -- the "patrol" phase -- when you catch them. It is only now that they are slow enough to be caught by interceptors.

A better choice, if possible, is to wait until they've landed, then land a skyranger on top of the UFO and capture it -- and it's elerium -- intact.

This becomes very easy once you have hyperwave decoders, as they will tell you
    the region the UFO is headed for. Until then, you just have to watch the UFO transit
    until it slows down. Once it gets below 1000, scramble your interceptor to hit him!

In the early part of the game you will only catch one or two ufos a month. Most will zip overhead, but a very few will slow down next to your radar station. Knock these down and capture them. The funding nations will give you an "A" for effort and increase your funding. Sell everything from the UFO you don't absolutely need (NEVER sell Elerium), and use the money to build worldwide radar stations near all funding nations. I usually have 5, 1 in Europe, 1 in China, 1 in Australia, 1 in Central Africa, 1 in Brazil, 1 in North America near Chicago.

Once you have worldwide coverage, you'll find intercepting to be much easier. Use the funds to build more interceptors so you can catch more and more UFOs, earning more
    cash and expanding your operations even further.

3) At some point, you will capture alien plasma weapons and plasma clip. When you research any pair, you gain the ability to research plasma beam weapons. These weapons upgrade your interceptors to the point where they can now take out 'large' contacts -- terror ships and supply ships. Once this happens, if you have a worldwide early warning network, the aliens will never again launch a successful terror raid. Once you have enough interceptors with plasma and the early warning network, the aliens will be totally unable to accomplish any mission unless they send along a VERY LARGE (battleship) contact.

Battleships will make mince of interceptors. Do not attempt to engage any VERY LARGE contact. Capture on ground if at all possible. Which brings us to:

4) Final stage: New fighter craft. FIRESTORM, LIGHTNING, and AVENGER. The FIRESTORM and AVENGER, when armed with plasma cannons, are capable of defeating battleships. Even now, however, you must choose your battles, as they will never win a battle without damage, and it can take weeks to repair the ships. But at this point you will be able to stop any ship, anywhere in the world, smaller than a battleship and be able to interfere significantly with battleship operations.

Does that help?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

7. - Top - End - #907

Well, I've been selling stuff, and I make sure my engineers are never idle, still I find myself strapped for cash.

I think it's the two laboratories with 100 cientists wich are really puting a drain in my early economy. I can research stuff pretty fast, but they eat a good chunck of my money.

Also 8 combat armors didn't come cheap either.
    I also lost a tank in a mission. First I didn't bothered much, but men those thinks cost almost half a million. Can't really afford to repeat that mistake.

Gotta research heavy lasers fast or I'll go banckrupt.

Right now trying to capture an UFO navigator. I keep restarting a recovery mission of an UFO, and something keeps going horribly wrong. Like, I trying to shoot the grunts nearby so my stun rod wielding rookie can aproach, and my troops end up missing and hiting the navigator.

Perhaps I'll have to do savescum at it's finest.

Well, gonna try again tomorrow. Already burned enough time with this(great) game today.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-07-20 at 04:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Added the second half of today's update.

Also: Oslecamo, if your science teams are in transit between bases at the end of the month, you don't need to pay. It's cheap, sure, but it can save millions.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooh, would I happen to be part of the new guys? There's not much to be gained in terms of stats or promotions, but a smaller chance of death too. Right? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #910
    Bugbear in the Playground

Really at this point, we just use newbies for target practice.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

It goes so smooth lately that I suggest we shift our efforts and concentrate on something very important - celebrating the Psionic Appreciation Day! When is it, you might ask? From now on, every other day.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ooh, would I happen to be part of the new guys? There's not much to be gained in terms of stats or promotions, but a smaller chance of death too. Right? Right?
    Yup, you're one of the pants wetting newbies.

And yes. Current death estimates have dropped to just 30% for rookies.

That's better odds than you'll get with...

Well, it's still incredibly bad, but better than we had when we started.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    It goes so smooth lately that I suggest we shift our efforts and concentrate on something very important - celebrating the Psionic Appreciation Day! When is it, you might ask? From now on, every other day.
    I vote for this... being a bad idea. No, Psionics, no! Bad Scion, to the corner with you. Guns win battles.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    I vote for this... being a bad idea. No, Psionics, no! Bad Scion, to the corner with you. Guns win battles.
    Keep on believing that.

Tengu, it's an idea. You are aware that BRC and I would get the majority of the cash prizes, of course?

15. - Top - End - #915

Although according to chiasaur11, conspicuously placed notes around the base detailing how awesome the author is works just as well.

No, I'm not bitter or anything...
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

16. - Top - End - #916

This thread grows so fast, I find it difficult to keep up.

Glad I'm getting more screen time though.

Also; awesome, you mentioned Doctor Who! Yay!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Keep on believing that.
    No, no, she's right: guns win battles. It's just a lot easier when you make your enemy's guns do the winning for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

18. - Top - End - #918

Keep on believing that.
    Shh, I'm trying to keep up my general belief that simple human engineering, ingenuity and will to kill everything-that's-not-them can overcome every obstacle!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Shh, I'm trying to keep up my general belief that simple human engineering, ingenuity and will to kill everything-that's-not-them can overcome every obstacle!
    It can.

What do you think was behind the invention of the psi-amp?

Altruism?

20. - Top - End - #920
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well it certainly wasn't the idea of a xeno-scum engineer. Noooope...That was all us.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

21. - Top - End - #921

So, err. I managed to pick up an old copy in a dusty pile from a Buy & Sell just in town, but if just kind of turns the screen black, and plays some music. Tried Running as Admin. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

So, err. I managed to pick up an old copy in a dusty pile from a Buy & Sell just in town, but if just kind of turns the screen black, and plays some music. Tried Running as Admin. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Personally, I suggest using DosBox.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Tengu, it's an idea. You are aware that BRC and I would get the majority of the cash prizes, of course?
    You mean 66%, right? Yeah, I am. It's good enough for a start. And that way Psionic Appreciation Day becomes official, with minimal risk of Alex Knight beating everyone involved up.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1faq.html

This helped me somewhat. Namely the 'black screen' part and the patch in that answer.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

25. - Top - End - #925

Yay! It's working now, though the Tacital screen seems to scroll at super-speed...
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Lower the scrolling speed to 1. It will still be super-fast, but managable with training.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    You mean 66%, right? Yeah, I am. It's good enough for a start. And that way Psionic Appreciation Day becomes official, with minimal risk of Alex Knight beating everyone involved up.
    Wait, so uh, what is it that's supposed to stop Colonel Knight?
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

An order from Chiasaur, maybe? Or we could keep him occupied somehow.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #929

I could keep him distracted, but you have to cut me in for a slice of the loot.

Fourth share for me, and the rest of you can squabble it out.

::
    Eleventh Hour's first X-Com!

Spoiler
    Show

And my X-Commanding is going... well, badly I guess. I caught 2/5 UFOs that went by, restarted the game a few times to try some things. My first combat was... well, I'm hoping okay. I shot down the UFO, but when my guys were wandering to find the crafty alien (He wasn't in any of the buildings like I figured he would be) he shot down one of mine before the rest could take out him (And the walls around him) with Autofire. The other two aliens were just sitting back, and I managed to shoot them first.

The other combats... didn't go so well. My second one, I had a few people lined up against a wall, specifically avoiding the windows, as I noticed you get LOS through them. But no, the alien roasted the wall and one of my people, and then as I was trying to get that one killed (Well, killed him, then it was A's turn again) another one sniped one of the trailing members I had looking out the back. A third was lost opening the UFO door.

Any hints for troops stratagey? (Aside from actually buying a tank.) I tried to be crafty with the UFO door and a grenade the next time I encountered one, but it didn't work out.

'

\/- Oh, piffle. You know that Knight would come back, promoted again. Covered in alien blood.
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2009-07-21 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Psh. There are cheaper ways to do that - we could send him alone on a mission, for example.

Spoiler
    Show