New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Sign Me up sir! I hope that one day I can get in the hall of X-Com legends along with the likes of Fri, HWP lopez, and whoever kills Copper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Another recruit for the team. Any role available.

The random name generator can actually create my real name, but I've only seen it once. I died.

BTW, a game question. Is there any way to control the order of how the soldiers are placed on the landing craft?
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Another recruit for the team. Any role available.

The random name generator can actually create my real name, but I've only seen it once. I died.

BTW, a game question. Is there any way to control the order of how the soldiers are placed on the landing craft?
    Not without X-Com Util.

Other than that, the only guarantee is that Lopez goes first. Which is good, since he's the only guy who can take a hit.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Sign Me up sir! I hope that one day I can get in the hall of X-Com legends along with the likes of Fri, HWP lopez, and whoever kills Copper.
    SIR! Will we really accept a bloody red one into our glorious institution?

By the way, I'm the real Eldan. The other one was a spy. Ready to go back to action when all the new recruits are dead.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    SIR! Will we really accept a bloody red one into our glorious institution?

By the way, I'm the real Eldan. The other one was a spy. Ready to go back to action when all the new recruits are dead.
    My blood is red, which means I'm human. More than you can say.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

See?

That's the X-Com paranoia and distrust we need to be a full on alien fighting machine!

Played out the next two days of posts already. They get...

interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting enough that I resort to some of the bad habits I acquired on my first playthrough. The game broke our gentlemen's agreement, well, I can't be guaranteed to hold up my end.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Signing up to blast some aliens, sir!
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Signing up
    A viking who isn't intimidated!!

Dreaming of a wight apocalypse

"next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face!"

9. - Top - End - #99

Name the fort for those we have lost. The Mighty Michael "Fawcett" Mays Memorial Fort.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sir! Ready to throw grenades at dirty alien scum and filthy human symps, sir!

I humbly request permission to use my preferred entry method of "open door, throw grenade, wait" when dealing with dirty alien scum bases and ships!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah, noob! Everybody knows the proper entry method is, "throw grenade, wait, throw grenade in new door, wait"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Bah, noob! Everybody knows the proper entry method is, "throw grenade, wait, throw grenade in new door, wait"
    I thought it was "Send rookies until all enemy TUs are used, then send in troops who can shoot straight" for early game, and either "Blaster Bomb" or "Send in rookie, mind control everything from the safety of the skyranger" for endgame.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I thought it was "Use heavy Plasmas to blast a hole in the wall, send in the rookies to waste enemy TU's, fire a rocket in there, then chuck a few grenades in there in case any of the rookies aliens are still alive"
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #104

that only works with alien grenades or heavy weapons. Normal frag takes too long to make new doors.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I thought it was "Use heavy Plasmas to blast a hole in the wall, send in the rookies to waste enemy TU's, fire a rocket in there, then chuck a few grenades in there in case any of the rookies aliens are still alive"
    Sadly, Plasma doesn't break UFO outer walls.

Darn shame.

16. - Top - End - #106

"Fry's Playground" get's my vote.

Also, (on the assumption there were no other promotions yet, but I'd guess there were and you just didn't say), as the other Sergeant in X-Com so far, permission to lead the rookies at the new fort when you build it, sir? Except then I couldn't watch over your stores, and I know you love my work, sir. Maybe there's a way I could keep track of them from the other fort? Internet and cameras? Tarot cards? Rough guesses?

Or you could keep me around and keep fawning over me like you do. I don't care, I know you wouldn't try to kill me.

*Walks away to write up 7 more reports on the stores, to hand in promptly when finished; all the while dodging bullets for practice. He thinks about saying a quick prayer for the fallen, but nobody told him who died. Shame they wouldn't let him out of the storeroom when there wasn't a fight against the xenos to be had. Information never passed far enough through the grapevine to get in here.*
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2009-06-30 at 10:27 PM.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Er.. hello? I'm a software engineer looking for a career change, and I'm answering your ad for 'life of adventure! Hot technology! Sexy babes! Lasers and aliens! No experience necessary, call 1-800-RED-SHRT and ask how YOU can make the world a better place today'.

So .. um... I point the end with the hole towards the bad guys, right?

Respectfully,

Brian Pendell (Name in game Brian P.)

PS. Request my character be armed as light infantry (laser, 2 grenades, 1 proximity grenade) and be given a shock rod. If by chance I walk into an alien I wouldn't mind snatching him for the eggheads back home -- BDP.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Er.. hello? I'm a software engineer looking for a career change, and I'm answering your ad for 'life of adventure! Hot technology! Sexy babes! Lasers and aliens! No experience necessary, call 1-800-RED-SHRT and ask how YOU can make the world a better place today'.

So .. um... I point the end with the hole towards the bad guys, right?

Respectfully,

Brian Pendell (Name in game Brian P.)

PS. Request my character be armed as light infantry (laser, 2 grenades, 1 proximity grenade) and be given a shock rod. If by chance I walk into an alien I wouldn't mind snatching him for the eggheads back home -- BDP.
    You're volunteering for cattle prod duty?

Well, who are we to deny you the... most glorious of duties?

(Here I thought I'd need to get some other poor unwilling sap once Copper's finally finished off.)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

You're volunteering for cattle prod duty?
    Absolutely.

A) Until we get alien stun bombs, shock rods are the only reliable way to get prisoners. And if there's a sectoid terror raid, we'll absolutely need to grab a leader so as to get an early start on psionics.

B) Say what you like; there's nothing quite so satisfying as beating the $#$#T%#%# out of a sectoid with the ugly stick.

Hell, I'm a red shirt. We all know I'm going to die charging valiantly into a UFO soaking up plasma for the vets behind me. Might as well have some fun on this express ride to the afterlife!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

I call lotting the next bodies, don't care which species!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Can I be the head of the Science department?
    :P

Truthfully, I know next to nothing about X-Com, but this thread appears entertaining, so monitor it I shall!
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Cadet Red signing up sir! My momma says aliens took her in their space gizmo years back, did all kinds of stuff to her. I'm here to show 'em there ain't nobody, alien or otherwise, who messes with my momma and gets away with it!

(Just send him in to the front and watch him get massacred )
    "Did we send the "don't shoot we're pathetic" message yet?" - John Crichton

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Can I be the head of the Science department?
    :P

Truthfully, I know next to nothing about X-Com, but this thread appears entertaining, so monitor it I shall!
    The premise of X-Com is this:

The Earth is under attack by aliens, and a bunch of governements got together and created X-Com to keep the aliens from taking over the world, namely by finding and destroying their base of operations before you go broke or get wiped out. The problem? You can't find, much less kill, the damn place, and until you do, you have to go toe-to-toe against VASTLY superior soldiers, technology, numbers, resources, mobility, and logistics...and oh yeah, guys who like to mind-control your soldiers into shooting each other.

However, you have two things giving you a fighting chance: the ability to research better technology (including alien tech), and soldiers who get stronger as they gain experience...assuming they live that long.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

However, you have two things giving you a fighting chance: the ability to research better technology (including alien tech), and soldiers who get stronger as they gain experience...assuming they live that long.
    And the fact that the aliens are bloody stupid and move around as if they were stoned. But, seeing how the Alien Entertainment tech looks like, they probably are stoned.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Default And thus I lose the betting pool. I was so sure it'd be London burning.

Right.

As February rolled in, X-Com decided to give the fallen soldiers a fitting memorial, and a better defense for the US at once. This impulse led to the building of Fort Fri. Although right now it's nothing much, a hanger should be done by the end of the month, allowing us to kill aliens invading the USA. As is the local custom, any prospective interceptor pilots are being trained in cheesy one liners. So far, we have nothing better than "Welcome to EARTH!" but scientists are confident of "Aliens" level quips by the time we're operational.

Another impressive bit of progress: Alien Alloys. We now have metal that can take a hit from plasma and just shrug it off. Although I can't really see the point. Lopez can do that already, and none of the current crop of non Lopez troops seems worth protecting.

Of course, the base only went a few days without activity, and the latest job was a doozy. The alien menace was attacking Chicago! Even if I prefer New York style, Pizza is a sacred institution. If this was Canada, sure, they could get away with it. But the windy city, site of X-Com's official Michael Jordan based platformer? Not. On. My. Watch.

Upon landing, Lopez scouted out the area. As usual, he spotted a tango almost immediately.

This target, though, was new. It was some kind of hover tentacle faced pile of ugly in a cloak. They were imitating our clothing, the thing which makes us human or unusually unfortunate pets. This insult would not stand.

Instead, it would lie on the ground with a smoking laser hole in its chest. Score another one for the Sarge.

A second one dropped almost as easy as the first. Seems the Windy City was going to be no trouble. Or whatever incredibly minor suburb we were in. I mean, there were no buildings above three stories. Disappointing, as I wanted to know what a HE autoround would do to the Sears tower.

Well, sending Headless Ninja north at least let him test Fri's old autocannon on a suburban home. It turns out, they explode nicely.

Also, there was a floater hiding behind it. That also exploded nicely. But the main point was blowing up the house.

Lopez checked out the eastern housing complex, but it was guarded by a fence. Showing the initiative that put him on the fast track for X-Com success, he blew it open, spotted a floater about 100 yards away obstructed by a whole house's worth of useless detritus, and promptly finished it with one round to the back of the head.

A couple more floaters snuck by the save mart to the west, but my deadeye reflexes let me drop them like flies.

When checking a warehouse for more of these flying pains in the butt, we spotted the civilian population. It seemed that Chicago was again at its rivalry with New York, this time in an apathy contest, as none of the people we met seemed to care about the high energy gunfight in question.

Lopez went south, continuing his search for potential problems, and found another nasty. Some kind of giant two legged monstrosity, it quickly was dubbed "The Reaper". As it turned out they were, in fact, less dangerous than the civilians, this nickname was rather regretted.

As the mission wore on, Atranis and Ninja grew bored with waiting for targets, and decided to just blow the crud out of a random warehouse for no reason.

Needless to say, this shows initiative, but the continuing lack of concern from the locals made me wary. Could they be infected with some kind of deadly apathy virus?

If so, it might be enough to get rid of copper. I immediately sent him to collect one of the corpses. Sadly, there was nothing of interest except a wallet with fifty bucks. Which was promptly declared X-Com property.

Reflexes and dead aim dropped every alien we found fairly steadily, and caused a ton of property damage, but somehow, we avoided killing any of the irritating local crowd. Lopez, however, had some trouble with the last floater, and received another heavy plasma round to the plating. The ____ing thing was ten feet in the air! Atranis, however, said that just made it a sitting duck, and vaped it. Now that's the attitude we want in an X-Com operative.

The mission was a resounding success, with ten aliens of two new species dead, and only one third of the locals dying horribly. X-Com did better still, with exactly zero casualties or injuries. Needless to say, this merited promotions! I promoted myself to Captain, with ninja, Atranis, and Bouregard filling the rather large gap I left on the sargental level.

As we headed back to base, we all felt we deserved a nice week off drinking and releasing blurry Youtube videos of the aliens being idiots. Sadly, this wasn't in the cards.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 04:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    And the fact that the aliens are bloody stupid and move around as if they were stoned. But, seeing how the Alien Entertainment tech looks like, they probably are stoned.
    My guess is that controlling millions, maybe billions of alien clones at once gets confusing for the big brain, even with the aid of the Ethereals.

EDIT: Mmmm, nice. This will go a long way in terms of public relations, enforcing the impression in the populace that we are protecting them, rather than being out for world conquest ourselves.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-01 at 02:01 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

<Zoidberg> Hooray! I'm helping! </Zoidberg> I eagerly await pictures of my attempts to support the mighty Lopez

28. - Top - End - #118

Yay! I'm not dead yet!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

lol, any chance I could be strapped to the forward hull of Lopez the mighty HWP. In order to protect what is clearly our greatest asset.

PS. Personally I think Lopez should have been seargented.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know the real reason for building the new fort with my namesake was to make me feel obligated to haunt it rather than annoying the main base. Despite that, I'm still kinda touched. I guess I'll move there on one of these days.

For this time, congratulations! I still think we need to capture one or two of them. No, I'm not saying this because my existance as a ghost is kinda lonely.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP