New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Not dying and then picking off aliens has been a specialty. So I agree with this plan.

(Could I get a synopsis on what happened? We went to Cydonia, attacked the base, and now are headed underground? Or am I wrong?)
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Not dying and then picking off aliens has been a specialty. So I agree with this plan.

(Could I get a synopsis on what happened? We went to Cydonia, attacked the base, and now are headed underground? Or am I wrong?)
    And Nathan Fillion blew up a section of wall with a blaster bomb. Other than that, sounds about right.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Basically, yes. The Cydonia base has above ground and two(I think? I forgot) basements in it.

4. - Top - End - #1384

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Basically, yes. The Cydonia base has above ground and two(I think? I forgot) basements in it.
    Just one. TFTD is the one with multiple basements.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Halfling in the Playground

I swear I had no hand in designing that AI.
    Or maybe I did, there was that one drunk night after we finished the avenger that I don't care to remember.
    Something about tearing up a philosophy book and paper mash ea only with alcohol.

Oh I remember now, we just borrowed a program from one of Copper's folders.

And good luck out there.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I got lazy with the Groupshot. Origionally, there was going to be an Avenger in the background, but then I decided that was too much work. Feel free to imagine it in there.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, I go away for two days to help a friend move, and I miss the start of Cydonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Default Main attraction in a freak side show, down in the basement where the cobwebs grow

"And that is the nature of freedom in summary. Now..."

And then, blessedly, the world came rushing back.

"Anyone else spend about a month in the teleporter?"
    BRC seemed a bit disturbed.
    "No.... Teleporter was quick. Why?"
    "Nothing. Never mind."

Alright. Seemed we were in two groups. Teleporter split us up. No big deal.
    "Alright men, check inventory, then get ready to roll."
    Kane called in from group 2.

"Uh... my Heavy Plasma went missing."
    Trazoi's follow up comment was worse.
    Seems the Blaster Bombs had gone inert. Great.
    I decided to do a quick check of my laser rifle.
    Also great. Batteries not charging. I had one, maybe two shots before the thing would be useless except as a club. And I'm not Knight, and therefore I have sense enough to see that's not a viable combat tactic. Further inventory indicated that the whole of the man portable supplies was:
    10 medikits
    20 laser rifles, with between five and one rounds each.
    10 psi amps.
    Seemed the security systems noted the alien plasma reactors easily, and removed those, and managed to do something to the lasers due to the Sectopod research. There was, however, one bright spot.

Lopez, Sheila, and the Avenger's tank had very well shielded reactor cores. Which meant they had over 200 shots apiece. Ho. Ho. Ho.

At least that's what I thought. Before I noticed the radio quality in here was awful, and that any attempts to scan with the psi amps was... unreliable at best. Something here was interfering. All we could do was sit, wait, and hope Lopez could manage on his own.

Of course, we were able to make some things out. Help a little.

It is amazing how easily a twitchy Ethereal is to convince that he really needs to shoot that Chryssalid down the corridor. And if he has a blaster bomb...

Results are impressive.

Of course, the overall view we got of the area was interesting. Two new species of alien down here. Not too powerful, mind, but odd. Floating kidneys, and some kind of Horta. They died to fire fairly quickly, for the most part.

With the unreliability of coms with the tanks, and Durandal (as the Avenger AI had taken to calling himself) apparently keeping busy dealing with automated turrets, security cameras, and other such security measures, we spent most of the time just sitting around waiting.

Murska spoke up first this time.
    "So. This is it, huh?"
    Of course, I couldn't reply. Tengu and I were the only ones who could do anything given the whole mental static bit, and even then we had to be careful. The thing was blocking most attempts even now, when it hadn't noticed us. What it'd do when it knew where we were, and what we were doing...

Let's just say we didn't want that to happen.

Fortunately, Trazoi got the radio in well enough to cover for me.
    "Yeah. Funny. They always say in those old war movies, at the start, 'It'll all be over by Christmas.' Had to be right at least once."

BRC interrupted with an enthusiastic "Got one!"

Better than I expected the kid to do.
    "Alright. Sending it down a corridor. Place is pretty much clean. Lopez knows his work, all I can say."

"Found an elevator. Oh. This isn't good. The bourgeoisie oppressors have sunk to a new low. They... they mounted the bodies of Sgt. Ninja and Sgt. Butterfly on the wall. And they have heavy plasmas, so it looks like this scout's going to be useless in a matter of seconds."

I had to respond to that, somehow.
    "Huh. Well, sorry to hear about that. Kane, Jimor, Murska, Rapture, if you need a break to cry... STOP BEING PANSIES! WE HAVE A GORRAM WAR TO WIN AND IF YOU AREN'T READY TO FIGHT DUE TO EMOTIONAL STRESS I WILL ENSURE WE ARE NOT HUMILIATED IN FRONT OF THE ENEMY IF I HAVE TO KILL YOU MYSELF. Wait. Where is Rapture?

Crap. Crap. Crap. The idiot was going down to avenge himself on the aliens.
    I ran after him.

Unfortunately, he got to the lifts first.

And promptly got pinned down by enemy fire. I could ignore it, of course. Come in later, terribly sorry...

No. Sadly, I couldn't. He was under my command. And you don't leave a man behind.

Five plasma bursts to the gut made me regret my little rescue attempt.

Fortunately, the psi amp took out three of them.

And the last snapshot in my laser rifle dropped the last of them.

Well, last one of them still able to move. I grabbed the Heavy Plasma one of our guests had dropped.
    "Rapture? Morphine. Got a bit of a scratch from a blast saving your worthless life, and I'd like to be sure I can finish off this brain... thing."

"Um... sir?"
    "Look, if you can't work a simple medikit, try to call Trazoi. I mean, theoretically that's his job."
    I had Trazoi on the line soon enough.
    "Remember your injuries in Casablanca?"
    "Yeah?"
    "These are worse. By a lot. As in you have less of a torso than a place to store the holes made by heavy plasma."
    "Ah. Well, I might not make it, then. Execute operation sendoff."
    "...right."

"Hey Copper?"
    "Yeah?"
    I then heard the blessed sounds of laser autofire. Sounded like the battery went dead.
    And then I heard the less nice sound of the lasers bouncing off.

"Hey, Trazoi. I heard something just now. Did an alien get into this room?"

Great. I was dying. Copper wasn't. Life isn't fair. Well, I had a job to do.

I walked up to the brain. Which began to stir.

Rapture wasn't moving. The radio went dead. Couldn't even feel the mildly irritating hum of Tengu trying to take over my brain.

But somehow, it wasn't hitting me. Well, it might be. Hard to tell through the pain of 5 rapidly expanding heavy plasma holes in my torso. Thing seemed almost shocked.
    Started begging for its life.

Not likely. I'd seen what it was doing from day one. Well, I pretty much started our side in this war. Only fair I finish it.

Pulling the trigger took more out of me than I thought. Going to catch my breath for a seco

(Last entry. Return to start? Y/N)
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

VICTOLY! VICTOLY FOR X-COM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    VICTOLY! VICTOLY FOR X-COM!
    Epilogue coming soon.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

11. - Top - End - #1391

CHIAAAA!

Wow. that was tearjerking.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Bugbear in the Playground

That... that was amazing.

13. - Top - End - #1393

Sniff...It was beatifull...

We gotta make sure this thing gets archivated.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

*salutes*
    May the memory of the one who gave his life so that we may live never be forgotten.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

Man I'm glad I'm here on Earth.

...I mean, thats really too bad. Yes. Too bad.

16. - Top - End - #1396

This could have happened.

Spoiler
    Show
    "What the hell? My loog just short-circuited! Copper! Get your ass over here!"

17. - Top - End - #1397

*salutes*

He exemplified the best traits of X-Com...

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Goodbye, Commander. The fingers of my left hand will never forget you.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    CHIAAAA!

Wow. that was tearjerking.
    x2 on that.

That LP was awesome, Chia. That is all.
    trill in da playground

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Halfling in the Playground

What's chia?
    And I really hope the commander isn't dead.
    For multiple reasons.
    Epic LP though.
    Really really good.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Default Epilogue

Epilogue:

Copper, despite his commander's best efforts, managed to survive, and even thrive. Made famous by a surprisingly well acted minor role in the X-COM motion picture, Copper became something of a minor celebrity, able to comfortably retire to the Bahamas.

Tengu Temp, although he failed to become overlord of earth, did manage to attain complete control of a fairly large city. A large city that had been marked as X-COM property. A large city near a point of dimensional intersection. A large city that was all but asking for alien vengeance, and whose population primarily consisted of those who had weaker psi scores.
    Some call it Tenguopolis, some call it Mega Primus, but all agree on the central point. It was the site of the closest thing to the Apocalypse in quite some time.

BRC failed to convince the aliens to form a socailist utopia. He is still bitter about this.

Chumbley managed to gain passage back to Mars, where he was a pivitol force in the transition of the defeated empire toward civillian life. He eventually became a respected statesman, and the spokesman for a popular Cydonia usedspaceship dealership.

Nathan Fillion, fresh off a starring role in the multi academy award winning XCOM theatrical feature, signed onto a small sci-fi western by Joss Whedon for a change of pace. It ran for ten seasons, with a notable lack of decline in quality.

Lopez and Sheila lived the american dream, quietly settling down to a quiet life in the suburbs.

Nano signed up for one of the first jobs opening up on the outer rim as a pilot. Security runs for the colonies were pretty much the best paying gig a pilot could get, assuming one was good enough. And eventually, the mining companies would be very glad for a trained X-com Interceptor pilot.

Cubey continued to pursue insanely dubious scientific ventures, from giant robots to atomic bombs that destroy suns. He currently has a Nobel anti peace prize, the only one of its kind.

Swot continued to work on laser cannons for three months after the war was over. When he eventually left to get more reflectors, he was quickly the subject of a bidding war by several major manufacturing concerns. He's still amazed that most places have "Time off".

Eldan was heard, on the day of victory, to declare loudly "WHAT HAVE I DONE! My attempts to sabotage the resistance have met with only failure and despair.". No one understood what was meant by the comment. Eldan is currently drowning regrets in cheap alcohol.

Alex Knight continued to "run" X-COM for the rest of his life. The sarcasm quotes are there for a reason. Pretty much, he went to anywhere someone said there was an alien attack, and hit things until the incident was over. His diaries were adapted, with a few changes, into an X-Com videogame entitled "Enforcer".

Trazoi was one of the few members of the staff to stay on in a full time role. As the highest ranking not Alex Knight officer left on staff, he pretty much kept a handle on the general planning, military expansion, and other such work.

Lord of Rapture joined the science division of X-COM, and participated in the construction of the underwater base. Allowing X-Com's already notoriously unethical science team access to a base far outside any government jurisdiction may have been a bad idea. The records of the terror from the deep unleashed make grown men wet their pants.

Pie guy is just glad Knight forgot about him during the London raids. He still fears for his life.

Dark Fiddler, despite being marked for death from the start, managed to survive his term with X-Com and retired. He jumps about forty feet if you make a plasma noise behind him. Try it, it's fun!

Zero Numerous signed up for the Patton experimental ship. After a few months, he and the crew returned with a rather good map of a distant star system, new technology, and a fresh set of plasma burns. It seems mankind had formed a few new alliances with just one X-Com ship.

Ferrus successfully managed to change his official duties from "protect earth" to "Watch Mst3k". He still gets 20k a month for this.

Most of the remainder of the crew gradually drifted off for fame, fortune, and not being shot at. Still, there always was a fresh faced kid wanting to see the stars for every man who left, and X-COM prospered. Soon half the galaxy would have a new synonym for heavily armed maniac.

The XAS Hand of God was repurposed, with the use of a number of martian mineral deposits, including one of the moons, into a colony ship, being sent to the most distant stars.

The commander of X-Com was dead. I mean, they had a funeral and everything. Sure, some folks say the casket felt a bit light, and that there was an Ethereal missing from the inventory. Sure, some say it was awfully convenient how he bit it just before the MJ-12 investigation. And okay, that first craft to the outer rim had a security officer joining up who seemed way better trained for this thing than normal, and he brought his own flying suit. And 20 million went missing that day.
    I'm just saying, it could all be a coincidence.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-31 at 05:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1402

Default Re: Epilogue

The commander of X-Com was dead. I mean, they had a funeral and everything. Sure, some folks say the casket felt a bit light, and that there was an Ethereal missing from the inventory. Sure, some say it was awfully convenient how he bit it just before the MJ-12 investigation. And okay, that first craft to the outer rim had a security officer joining up who seemed way better trained for this thing than normal, and he brought his own flying suit. And 20 million went missing that day.
    I'm just saying, it could all be a coincidence.
    As I said, the best traits of X-Com

Truly yours is the LP by which all others should be judged. I say bravo to you, sir, bravo!

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Epilogue

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    As I said, the best traits of X-Com

Truly yours is the LP by which all others should be judged. I say bravo to you, sir, bravo!
    Thanks.

Glad you all enjoyed it. Also glad I managed to finish it.

24. - Top - End - #1404

Freakin best thread ever graced this subforum *sniffs* . This isn't the first LP in this forum, but thread will be famously noted as the first finished LP, and not a bad one, but an EPIC one. In the future, everyone will look at this thread in the hall of legends with awe.

Plus, the ending was perfect.

Any idea how to archive this, in case of another forum pruning?

And... do you want to do another LP Chia ?
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-31 at 03:17 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Great epilogue. Let's hope Copper's home at Bahamas will never get invaded in the upcoming invasion - for the good of the aliens, I mean.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Freakin best thread ever graced this subforum *sniffs* . This isn't the first LP in this forum, but thread would be famously noted as the first finished LP, and not a bad one, but an EPIC one. In the future, everyone will look at this thread in the hall of legends with awe.

Plus, the ending was perfect.

Any idea how to archive this, in case of another forum pruning?

And... do you want to do another LP Chia ?
    Eventually.

I was planning to do Baldur's Gate, but I can't make it accept a custom portrait without a 1395 error.

27. - Top - End - #1407

I know where I'll hide! In the pacific ocean, there's a gathering of plastic bottles the size of Texas. I'll be impossible to find!

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid question.

Anyone catch the reference in the title of the last post (other than the epilogue)?

I felt it was kind of clever, but I have tended, at times, to the overly obscure.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all i offer my congratulations on the successful defence of planet Earth. and also thank for making it so entertaining.
    I was planning to do Baldur's Gate
    good luck...

Anyone catch the reference in the title of the last post (other than the epilogue)?
    last track from Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds"
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2009-07-31 at 03:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Troll in the Playground

Stupid question.

I felt it was kind of clever, but I have tended, at times, to the overly obscure.
    It sounds familiar, but I don't know from where.