New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I know the real reason for building the new fort with my namesake was to make me feel obligated to haunt it rather than annoying the main base. Despite that, I'm still kinda touched. I guess I'll move there on one of these days.

For this time, congratulations! I still think we need to capture one or two of them. No, I'm not saying this because my existance as a ghost is kinda lonely.
    Don't worry, son.

Next mission we'll get plenty of chances...
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

No casualties so far? Your leadship is a credit to X-COM.

My namesake soldier is happy to hold the keys to the Skyranger and to valiantly defend its interior from alien infestation.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    No casualties so far? Your leadship is a credit to X-COM.

My namesake soldier is happy to hold the keys to the Skyranger and to valiantly defend its interior from alien infestation.
    None that mission.

Four troopers died on the second landing. And there wasn't even any Elerium.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

4. - Top - End - #124

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    None that mission.

Four troopers died on the second landing. And there wasn't even any Elerium.
    Well, crud. My head must have been in the clouds during that mission.

I'll take my post at the back of the Skyranger, then.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2009-07-01 at 07:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Well, crud. My head must have been in the clouds during that mission.

I'll take my post at the back of the Skyranger, then.
    Nope.

I just hadn't hired you yet. That's a dead man's laser you're packing.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've always enjoyed X-Com: UFO Defense from the first time I played it even though I'm atrocious at it. As you will invariably need further recruits I will volunteer to blow some alien brains out.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11
    Played out the next two days of posts already. They get...

interesting.

Well, the first mission was a unqualified victory. Boring. no one died. So this next one must be a total disaster, right?
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Butterfly View Post
    Well, the first mission was a unqualified victory. Boring. no one died. So this next one must be a total disaster, right?
    Maybe.

On the other hand, a terror mission, with no saving, that goes like clockwork is kind of an oddity.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, that is weird. I always fail terror raids miserably when I play.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Yeah, that is weird. I always fail terror raids miserably when I play.
    Hey, the previous no do-overs missions for me always had at least one guy bite it. I find an unqualified success in a terror raid (Especially with only four civvies dead) kind of astounding.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, the previous no do-overs missions for me always had at least one guy bite it. I find an unqualified success in a terror raid (Especially with only four civvies dead) kind of astounding.
    You did get lucky with probably the easiest alien race for a Terror mission. Floaters don't bring along psychics, their Terror unit is really easy to handle, and they're usually relatively low tech.. so no panicking/berserk/mind-controlled soldiers, no bloody Cyberdiscs, and no Blaster Bombs. Sectoids would probably have been much bloodier.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds like you could use a grunt who welds the selector to auto and uses at least one full clip of incendiary rounds each mission. Laser pistol for when there just isn't enough time, range or ammo.

Enjoys night fights, jungles and barbeque sauce, but will grumble throughout an arctic or desert mission.
    Occasionally forces the team to retreat to the skyranger while the entire map turns to ash.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

One word.

Chrysallids. Every other terror site pales in comparison.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    One word.

Wrong, there's an even worse terror site: Chrysallids at night

Also, this LP is making me want to do an LP of X-Com: Apocalypse

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    One word.

Ethereals are worse. They're the lategame enemy race for a reason.
    It doesn't make Snakemen any less dangerous of course. Although... I remember once when my Grandmother ran a terror mission against snakemen and chrysallids. Lost no soldiers, only 2 civilians killed, and a chrysallid captured alive. And it was the Amiga CD32 version (yes, someone actually owned that weird thing!), so no mid-battle saves.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Wrong, there's an even worse terror site: Chrysallids at night

Also, this LP is making me want to do an LP of X-Com: Apocalypse
    Weirdly enough, I've never had real trouble with Chrysallids. Even when they end up getting one of my soldiers/a pocket of civilians the problem is usually quickly solved with an alien grenade/demolition charge/rocket. And then sooner or later they just stop being a problem when everything that matters on your team flies, at which point it's somewhat like D&D and anything that is stuck with just a melee attack is no more than target practice. The real bad terror missions for me was always Sectopods, especially as the first one; Cyberdiscs are a pain to take down, and they have a nasty tendency to explode more civilians when they die. (On the plus side, the large amounts of smoke involved in Sectopod terror missions and my general explosives-heavy playstyle means I once captured a Sectopod Leader by way of asphyxiation. On the down side, I didn't have any containment labs built yet.)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Ethereals are worse. They're the lategame enemy race for a reason.
    It doesn't make Snakemen any less dangerous of course. Although... I remember once when my Grandmother ran a terror mission against snakemen and chrysallids. Lost no soldiers, only 2 civilians killed, and a chrysallid captured alive. And it was the Amiga CD32 version (yes, someone actually owned that weird thing!), so no mid-battle saves.
    Well, Ethereals have your troops psi scores factor in big time. If you have psi from, say, an early sectoid base raid, or by sheer good luck all your troops just happen to be psychics of high caliber, then they're just bad, not 'lid bad.

If everyone in your team is sub 20 psi, though...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Tyckspoon, you mean sectoids, right? Sectopods are these mini-walker robots that serve as Ethereals' terror units.
    And are damn good at it. Tough, fast and accurate - if Ethereals won't ruin your day with their psychic mumbo jumbo, these mecha will. At least they don't explode when destroyed.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Truth be told, I consider Sectopods overrated and Chryssalids overrated to the extreme.

Sectopods are moderately dangerous because they are good shots with a strong weapon. However, they are a big target that can take no damage at all - assuming one did not swap out all of the laser rifles for plasmas. Often enough, a single glancing hit with a laser rifle can take one of them down.

As for Chryssalids, I consider them one of the weakest aliens in the entire game. The AI more often than not screws them up and has them run back and forth, instead of running into melee, they have no way at all to reach you once you have Flying Suits, and they cannot take that much damage while still having to run into melee - if the soldiers cover each other and have time units left for reaction shots, all that will happen to the rare Chryssalid that actually chooses to charge rather than drunkenly stumble around in front of your troops is that it gets a heavy plasma round to the head and croaks instantly. Their entire reputation stems from them having excellent stats (which don't do them much good with their limited offensive capabilities though) and because of how horrible it is what they do to humans (good thing they should hardly get a chance to do it to X-Com soldiers, right?).
    The entire key to dealing with Chryssalids is to progress more slowly, to always leave time units for reaction shots from multiple soldiers covering each other, and to never run around a corner or into a building which might contain a Chryssalid if one won't have the time units left to take one down.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-02 at 07:58 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Tyckspoon, you mean sectoids, right? Sectopods are these mini-walker robots that serve as Ethereals' terror units.
    And are damn good at it. Tough, fast and accurate - if Ethereals won't ruin your day with their psychic mumbo jumbo, these mecha will. At least they don't explode when destroyed.
    Yes. Yes I do. >.<

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Sir! Recruit Ferrus present for duty, SIR! Will do anything, SIR! Me Ma says I have a deathwish, SIR!

I´ve never played this game, but it looks fun. And I´m loving the writing style

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Truth be told, I consider Sectopods overrated and Chryssalids overrated to the extreme.

*stuff*
    One of the things about X-Com isn't just the difficulty, it's that it's scary. It's downright, genuinely scary. Only four games have ever made me feel outright fear for my survival, and X-Com is one of them (the others being DOOM, System Shock, and System Shock 2). And Chryssalids at night, regardless of difficulty, are the scariest enemies in the game. Even if you can handle them with ease, the thought that one unlit shadow, one missed reaction shot can turn into eight zombie conversions and a panicked flight back to the skyranger...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    One of the things about X-Com isn't just the difficulty, it's that it's scary. It's downright, genuinely scary. Only four games have ever made me feel outright fear for my survival, and X-Com is one of them (the others being DOOM, System Shock, and System Shock 2). And Chryssalids at night, regardless of difficulty, are the scariest enemies in the game. Even if you can handle them with ease, the thought that one unlit shadow, one missed reaction shot can turn into eight zombie conversions and a panicked flight back to the skyranger...
    That, on the other hand, is pure, undilluted truth.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. And that is what makes X-Com such an awesome game.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

I dedicate this post to comments on various terror races.

Sectopods:
    Sure, a lucky shot of a laser gun can take them down. But a lucky shot of everything can take anything down. Unless it's something seriously out of the league, like a pistol round vs Muton. The difference in damage on Laser Rifle vs Heavy Plasma on a Sectopod is minimal. Heavy Laser is significantly stronger, but it's also heavy, unwieldy, inaccurate and overall sucks. Tanks with laser turrets are your best bets, but one such unit cannot be everywhere on the map at once.

Chryssalids:
    More Amiga CD32 hilarity. That "console" was quite limited in its capabilities, but fortunately most of X-Com was left intact. The only major difference was that there were no zombies. So what did Chryssalids do? Convert your soldiers/civilians into other chryssalids *immediately*. That made them much more dangerous, because you face another deadly xenomorphesque alien rather than just a slow, lumbering mook whom you can shoot when you're prepared for the monster inside.

Mutons' terrorists Comic Relief:
    I was surprised to analyze the Celatids' stats on Ufopaedia (the webpage, not the in-game database) and find out that they're theoretically much more dangerous than I remember them! Their attacks are surprisingly strong, 140 vs Heavy Plasma's 115, and their accuracy is very high. Why did they suck each time I encountered them though? Must be related to the acid spit's pretty pathetic range. Ufopaedia says they can replicate rapidly, but it never occurs in game - my theory on that is that, like Chryssalids, they have to actually kill something to create another copy of themselves.
    But at least they're not as worthless as Silacoids. "Oh no, an evil version of Horta is very slowly advancing in my direction! I hope I can outrun casually outwalk it!" Really, between their absolutely "terrifying" ~40 time units and the fact that they leave easily identificable burn marks on the ground everywhere they go, everyone killed by a Silacoid deserves it. Yes, even the brain-dead civilians.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-02 at 12:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I dedicate this post to comments on various terror races.

Sectopods:
    Sure, a lucky shot of a laser gun can take them down. But a lucky shot of everything can take anything down. Unless it's something seriously out of the league, like a pistol round vs Muton. The difference in damage on Laser Rifle vs Heavy Plasma on a Sectopod is minimal. Heavy Laser is significantly stronger, but it's also heavy, unwieldy, inaccurate and overall sucks. Tanks with laser turrets are your best bets, but one such unit cannot be everywhere on the map at once.
    I guess so. Still, in practice, Sectopods never struck me as particularly durable...

Chryssalids:
    More Amiga CD32 hilarity. That "console" was quite limited in its capabilities, but fortunately most of X-Com was left intact. The only major difference was that there were no zombies. So what did Chryssalids do? Convert your soldiers/civilians into other chryssalids *immediately*. That made them much more dangerous, because you face another deadly xenomorphesque alien rather than just a slow, lumbering mook whom you can shoot when you're prepared for the monster inside.
    Heh, that's awesome.

Mutons' terrorists Comic Relief:
    I was surprised to analyze the Celatids' stats on Ufopaedia (the webpage, not the in-game database) and find out that they're theoretically much more dangerous than I remember them! Their attacks are surprisingly strong, 140 vs Heavy Plasma's 115, and their accuracy is very high. Why did they suck each time I encountered them though? Must be related to the acid spit's pretty pathetic range. Ufopaedia says they can replicate rapidly, but it never occurs in game - my theory on that is that, like Chryssalids, they have to actually kill something to create another copy of themselves.
    I strongly suspect that something is bugged about them, since I have seen them shoot something quite often, but practically never hit the target. Like, one hit in five shots still seems like an optimistic estimate.

As for their replication, I could be mistaken (it's been a while since I last played against Celatids, since for some reason the Mutons refused to launch any terror attacks in the last couple of games I played), but I think there is a chance that when you kill a Celatid, a new Celatid bursts forth from the corpse.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Default Safe European Home. (Still European, currently not so sure about safe)

Men, I wanted to say I understand your complaints. Sure, the battleship may have never found X-COM HQ if there wasn't a huge "X-COM. If you're looking for lasers, you've come to the right place" Billboard outside the base.

Sure, ignoring a battleship might not have been a good idea.

Of course I should have let you know I'd built a bomb to destroy the linear conception of time, or at least built the cameras with that in mind. But I think rewriting history within the limited context of the base to create a reality where all X-Com agents are able to dodge any weapons fire is a fundimentally good idea, and a small loss in visual records shouldn't invalidate the concept.

After all, the mission was in trouble from the start. Due, I have no doubt, to Copper's foul logistical magic, I wound up with a gun that it was fundimentally impossible to use, Lopez was stuck on the top floor, and blaster bombs were heading straight at me. Continual revision of reality as we know it was our only hope!

It generally worked. My gun was still useless, and in debriefings afterwards you all still complained of a kind of constant humming in your minds that in a couple of cases erupted into indescribable terror, but we were killing aliens and frankly, given I didn't notice that "humming", I attribute it to bad discipline and Bolshevism rather than any mistake on my part.

The enemy attacked in endless waves, it seemed, but the frontline of Lopez, Bouregard, the Dark Fiddler, and Trazoi held them back. Still, the humming, according to all of them except Lopez (confirming my belief it only affected sub par soldiers) continued as strong as ever until Alex Knight knocked an alien cold with a stun rod, at which point it let up somewhat.

With the knocking out alive of one of the aliens, Knight, Fiddler, and Sgt. Bouregard went to the western hanger and spotted a new kind of nasty. Some kind of micro UFO.

Oddly, it retreated on initial attack into a storage locker, and then left immediately, failing to fire on the troops. Odd.

Also odd was what happened to it when it was finished off. It exploded, apparently also detonating another one in the middle hanger. That finished off the west and central hangers, which just left Lopez and Trazoi to finish their excellent work in the east hanger.

And with that, the humming apparently stopped. We were done with the base defense, and with some nice rewards.

Also, it seemed the alien was a "leader" of some sort. This would be fun.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 04:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

*comes out from under the bed*

Is it over? Yes?

I'm sure that I was suitably heroic before the revision of reality made me a sniveling coward hiding under the bunk. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sure.

BTW, does anyone use proximity grenades anymore ? I just loved leaving those little presents in odd places for the aliens to find .

Respectfully,

Brian P.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    *comes out from under the bed*

Is it over? Yes?

I'm sure that I was suitably heroic before the revision of reality made me a sniveling coward hiding under the bunk. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sure.

BTW, does anyone use proximity grenades anymore ? I just loved leaving those little presents in odd places for the aliens to find .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    We haven't even got you in the base yet.

So, no need for shame. Yet.

30. - Top - End - #150

We haven't even got you in the base yet.

So, no need for shame. Yet.
    Curse you copper and your logistical, time screwing magic! *shake fist*
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-02 at 04:08 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP