Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Best/Most Useful Creatures to Summon

Hey all, as some of you may know I'm playing a 22nd level Druid/Wizard/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Heirophant. I've got 9th level spells of both arcane and divine.

Now, I know Summoning spells aren't always great spells to go with, but sometimes it's fun to add a buddy. Whether through Summer Monster X, or Summon Nature's Ally X, what are some of your favorite uses/why? Whether it be for sheer battle capacity, supernatural/spell-like abilities, whathaveyou.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Best/Most Useful Creatures to Summon

Have a look at the Summoning Handbook.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Keep in mind, Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally have a 1 round casting time, so everyone else will get a turn while you're still casting it. It's best to cast them in a Time Stop, or not at all.

Storm Elementals in MM3 are nice, it's best to summon them via nature's ally. It gets some nice AoE attacks, deals nonlethal damage every round for free, hits fairly hard, and has a fast, perfect fly speed. Big animals with a lot of attacks and Improved Grab, such as Dire Tigers, are good to summon a few of and then use Animal Growth on to completely own an entire encounter. Unicorns are decent just to have around for their no-SR Magic Circle against Evil, plus they can use some Cure spells and Neutralize Poison when necessary.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Keep in mind, Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally have a 1 round casting time, so everyone else will get a turn while you're still casting it. It's best to cast them in a Time Stop, or not at all.
    At this regard, there is a suggested houserule il UA allowing to make summoning 1 round casting instead than a full round. I allow it, assuming that players don't abuse.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Frankly a full-round casting is fine with me. If I throw down Arcane Spellsurge to start then I can still get an arcane spell of any level in on top of that. My character far outshines the rest of the group too, both in power and versatility, so I'm fine with using less impressive tactics for fun's sake.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

You may find some good ideas in Mastering the Malconvoker, as well.