New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Is the kensai broken?!

Ok, I know this is a total abuse of rules, and by RAW, probably would not work, but bear with me.

1. So, if you consider the unarmed strike to be a strike by any part of your body, your body is effectively the entire weapon.

2. The kensai PrC can effectively enhance unarmed strikes with weapon abilities. (Though there are probably a few easier ways to get this without going through kensai, it's just the first I noticed)

3. Sizing, a +1 enhancement, can change the size of the weapon as a standard action....to any size.

Now, with these 3 things in mind, what is to stop you from making your unarmed strikes (AKA yourself) colossal/fine as a standard action?

(Just toying with random ideas here for the most part, and seeing what everyone thinks of this)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Is the kensai broken?!

It's a strike with a *part* of your body. So you can't make your whole body change size, just your fists/feet/shoulder/etc.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kensai can also give you flaming, throwing, returning unarmed strike. Rocket Punch!

Point being, DM should pay some attention to both the power and absurdity levels of the class in play.

(Note: for that matter it could give you a flaming, throwing, returning head).
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2009-07-01 at 04:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Increasing weapon size to get extra damage...

You could just play a Changeling and get levels in Warshaper to do what you describe not only free of XP costs and alignment restrictions, but also with no limit to just how big you can go. Even then, you'd have been better off basing your character's damage on Power Attack.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Kensai can also give you flaming, throwing, returning unarmed strike. Rocket Punch!

Point being, DM should pay some attention to both the power and absurdity levels of the class in play.

(Note: for that matter it could give you a flaming, throwing, returning head).
    If I were the DM I'd make it a "Hadoken" kinda thing...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Bizarre, weird, but from a pure mechanical standpoint powerwise it is not neccessarily overpowered... at least if you consider you can only wield a "weapon" within how many size categories of your size... and the sizing enchantment changes the weapon size, not the "user's" size.
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeristo View Post

Now, with these 3 things in mind, what is to stop you from making your unarmed strikes (AKA yourself) colossal/fine as a standard action?
    Making a part of me colossal with a standard action

Now, who needs Charisma?

ANYWAYS..... yeah, no. The Kensai, if anything, could use a boost
    Image by Rich Burlew

8. - Top - End - #8

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Wouldn't that be a head-oken?
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post

You could just play a Changeling and get levels in Warshaper to do what you describe not only free of XP costs and alignment restrictions, but also with no limit to just how big you can go. Even then, you'd have been better off basing your character's damage on Power Attack.
    Warshaper is limited to one size increase. The Sizing enhancement isn't.

Does the Sizing enhancement eliminate the penalty for unusually sized weapons? Or would your overlarge hands/feet/head give appropriate penalties for being awkward as all get out?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    I think it's meant to be a Ghost Rider thing, actually.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Warshaper is limited to one size increase. The Sizing enhancement isn't.

Does the Sizing enhancement eliminate the penalty for unusually sized weapons? Or would your overlarge hands/feet/head give appropriate penalties for being awkward as all get out?
    No, it's described as being designed for characters who change sizes often, and would need a weapon capable of becoming the appropriate size. If a medium size character uses the Sizing property to cause any weapon, including his unarmed strike, to grow exceptionally large, he would no longer be capable of wielding it.

Warshaper gives no such limitation, it simply requires an additional activation for each size category you wish to grow it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jeristo View Post
    Ok, I know this is a total abuse of rules, and by RAW, probably would not work, but bear with me.

1. So, if you consider the unarmed strike to be a strike by any part of your body, your body is effectively the entire weapon.

2. The kensai PrC can effectively enhance unarmed strikes with weapon abilities. (Though there are probably a few easier ways to get this without going through kensai, it's just the first I noticed)

3. Sizing, a +1 enhancement, can change the size of the weapon as a standard action....to any size.

(Just toying with random ideas here for the most part, and seeing what everyone thinks of this)
    This might work if you have a natural slam attack.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    So a Warforged Kensai puts sizing on his slam attack? And can therefore become a giant robot? And puts flaming, throwing and returning on his fists to get a giant robot rocket punch?

I totally want to do this now.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Is there anything, such as one of the Totemist soulmelds in Magic of Incarnum, that gives Slam attacks? Well, anything besides being or becoming a vampire, mummy, or other monster?

I suppose Warshaper could let you 'grow' a Slam attack. Is that forbidden by its ability to grow a natural weapon if you do not normally have one?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    I think it's meant to be a Ghost Rider thing, actually.
    . . .

I'm using this, now. And wielding a chain.
    Aer's 3.5 Workshop
    Currently featuring : Magebane Aspirant!
    GiTP Game designers, here!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Not always.

Greater Mighty Wallop increases a bludgeoning weapons damage by 1 size category/4lvls.
    So a normal sized greatclub goes from 1d10 to 4d8 @ CL 12, to 6d8 @ CL 16. And it is a lvl 3 spell that lasts 1 hour/lvl.

Strongarm bracers are ok too if your caster won't or can't cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you.
    But getting a +2 str item should usually be a higher priority. After that, get the bracers.

/E: Or be a race wich gets powerful build... Goliath and Half-Giant are both decent choices that offer alot more than just increased weapon dice.
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-01 at 09:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

4 levels of Kensai nets you Brilliant Energy Weapon. If you were a monk before becoming a Kensai, you can make UASs with your whole body. That means your whole body is a weapon, and is made from Brilliant Energy and can pass through all non-organic material. Congratz, if you aren't walking on the grass, you are falling through the world.

Clipping error, please reset collisions!

EDIT:
    The other broken thing you can do with a Kensai is donate your BAB to someone. Its not an attack bonus, you are actually giving part of your BAB to another character. But...how do I break this? Well, you give your BAB to another character who has 5 levels of Abjurant Champion. His caster level is equal to his BAB. Thusly, you can artificially inflate his CL during the morning buff routine to make your buffs more effective and harder to dispel.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-07-01 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The other broken thing you can do with a Kensai is donate your BAB to someone. Its not an attack bonus, you are actually giving part of your BAB to another character. But...how do I break this? Well, you give your BAB to another character who has 5 levels of Abjurant Champion. His caster level is equal to his BAB. Thusly, you can artificially inflate his CL during the morning buff routine to make your buffs more effective and harder to dispel.
    And give your weapon the skillful enhancement for permanent 3/4 Bab (with that specific weapon but, yeah).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Random NPC View Post
    Making a part of me colossal with a standard action

Now, who needs Charisma?
    ... but with no chance at all of putting it to use:
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it.
    ... If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

4 levels of Kensai nets you Brilliant Energy Weapon. If you were a monk before becoming a Kensai, you can make UASs with your whole body. That means your whole body is a weapon, and is made from Brilliant Energy and can pass through all non-organic material. Congratz, if you aren't walking on the grass, you are falling through the world.

What about the organic material in things like topsoil?
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Has to be living, otherwise Brilliant Energy would work on undead, which it doesn't. And don't give me any of this "thousands of living creatures and bacteria in the soil" BS.

Its just there for absurdity...don't go over analyzing it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    ... but with no chance at all of putting it to use:
    Ah, but the unarmed strike remains a light weapon, no matter how many size categories you increase it.

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD, "Weapons"
    An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I read this thread, and all I can think of is Mario in Super Smash Bros.
    It would be hilarious to use. >.>

24. - Top - End - #24

If a Monk's entire body is a weapon, a Psychic Warrior can summon a Monk with Call Weaponry!

25. - Top - End - #25

HalfOrcPirate

Oh god...

Put morphing on your unarmed strike and turn yourself into another person's unarmed strike (their whole body).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    If a Monk's entire body is a weapon, a Psychic Warrior can summon a Monk with Call Weaponry!
    I call... Epic Level Monk!

Also, Brilliant Energy Monk works five with Wings of Flying and the Improved Flight feat. The best part? Most attacks aren't made of organic material.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Can't the Monk count his body as a natural or artificial weapon in regards to buffs depending on which is more beneficial? Just consider your body an artificial weapon for anything you don't want to drop through.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Keld stole my comment!

More sillyness: Add the weapon ability that lets it the weapon turn into different weapons (morphing). Because you are a monk, turn into a dart. Then get stuffed in someone's mouth. Change into a greatsword

Or, if you were willing to abuse RAW even more, you could change into a Tarrasaque Monk. Its entire body is a weapon!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

i believe the proper term is

GIGA... DRILL... BREEEAAAAKAHHHHH!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    So a Warforged Kensai puts sizing on his slam attack? And can therefore become a giant robot? And puts flaming, throwing and returning on his fists to get a giant robot rocket punch?

I totally want to do this now.
    Who wouldn't?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.