New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Mordenkainen

Quick question - does anyone know where can I find stats for 3.5 Mordenkainen?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Mordenkainen

I think they have him in the Epic Level Handbook somewhere. Not sure though, don't own that one.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

3. - Top - End - #3

Man, how in the nine hells didn't I think of looking there? I flipped through dozens of Dragon/Dungeon Magazines, and he's in ELH...

And HA! I knew my wizard had higher Int than him!
    Last edited by Gorbash; 2009-07-01 at 11:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Out of curiousity, what are his stats and feats?
    I've read some of the background material for greyhawk, and many of the 'Super powerful wizards' really are anything but that.
    Like the one who's a ranger 10/wizard 10, with TWF style.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yes, that is the case mostly. Around here we talk about Wizards with Int 34, Mordenkainen has 27 at lvl 27.

Str 10
    Dex 17
    Con 18
    Int 27
    Wis 15
    Cha 18

Feats: Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Brew Potion, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken Spell, Heighten Spell, Craft Wondrous Item, Maximize Spell, Spell Penetration, Craft Staff, Improved Spell Capacity (10th),
    Improved Spell Capacity (11th), Improved Spell Capacity (12th), Improved Metamagic, Epic Spellcasting, Epic Spell Penetration.

He can somehow cast 12 spells of 3rd lvl per day.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    e can somehow cast 12 spells of 3rd lvl per day.
    Ring of Wizardry?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Only 2 craft feats? Hmmm... You'd expect ring and staff, or rod and staff. Not potion.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that is the case mostly. Around here we talk about Wizards with Int 34, Mordenkainen has 27 at lvl 27.

Str 10
    Dex 17
    Con 18
    Int 27
    Wis 15
    Cha 18

Feats: Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Brew Potion, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken Spell, Heighten Spell, Craft Wondrous Item, Maximize Spell, Spell Penetration, Craft Staff, Improved Spell Capacity (10th), Improved Spell Capacity (11th), Improved Spell Capacity (12th), Improved Metamagic, Epic Spellcasting, Epic Spell Penetration.

He can somehow cast 12 spells of 3rd lvl per day.
    Parts that need to change are bold. Not to mention his lack of PrCs. Seriously, WotC needs to hire Tippy or Tidesinger or someone to write their famous NPCs.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tippy or Tidesinger? I think anyone capable of pointing out the Big 5 with a rudimentary explanation could do better.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Parts that need to change are bold. Not to mention his lack of PrCs. Seriously, WotC needs to hire Tippy or Tidesinger or someone to write their famous NPCs.
    While I certainly agree with the bolded parts... Having Tippy design the famous NPCs? Then it'd be less "Hey guys, Mordenkainen! He's famous! I bet he was some menial task for us to do!" and more "It's Mordenkainen! He knew he'd meet us at least a week in advance, knows how we fight, and if he has it in for us, we're doomed."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    While I certainly agree with the bolded parts... Having Tippy design the famous NPCs? Then it'd be less "Hey guys, Mordenkainen! He's famous! I bet he was some menial task for us to do!" and more "It's Mordenkainen! He knew he'd meet us at least a week in advance, knows how we fight, and if he has it in for us, we're doomed."
    He's a 27th level Wizard with the closest thing to a suitcase nuke in D&D named after him. He is legendary for his casting abilities. He should be considerably more powerful than any CL 21 Wizard. Fear that you might annoy him should be default. As-is, he's not.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

It's Mordenkainen. Those are just the stats he wants you to know.
    After all, what's a few casts of mindrape on a few writers when you've saved the world so many times?

I do have a Mordenkainen build in my back pocket, a sort of image in my head. It's how I want to think of the last truly tangible avatar I have for Gary Gygax. Warm, affably omnipotent, strongly neutral, and invested in something larger and better than you or I.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-07-01 at 04:04 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to see what's wrong or why anyone should even care that canonical NPCs aren't twinked out, but I really got nothing.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #14

He's a 27th level Wizard with the closest thing to a suitcase nuke in D&D named after him. He is legendary for his casting abilities. He should be considerably more powerful than any CL 21 Wizard. Fear that you might annoy him should be default. As-is, he's not.
    It would be quite annoying if people bought the ELH and the NPCs needed rules from other books to worck. Specially books wich hadn't been publicized yet.

Besides ELH is 3.0. By the time 3.5 came out, Mormekdain has gained so many levels and gotten so powerfull that WOTC didn't bothered to publicize his stats again, because they would fill several books of their own and basically come down to "Mormekdain wins".

And even if he had taken toughness as his only feat at all levels, as a 27th level pure wizard he would still be bloody fearsome.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-07-01 at 04:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I'm trying to see what's wrong or why anyone should even care that canonical NPCs aren't twinked out, but I really got nothing.
    Legendary Canonical NPCs, ones who are Epic Casters that the Devils fear, should be able to destroy any low-epic party. That one can't. I'm not talking necessarily Cindy here, but taking Combat Casting? Really? That's not unoptimized, that's saying 'I want an evil party to kill me and take my stuff'.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    We're not asking for twinked out. We're just asking for sensible, and maybe to follow the tips that they themselves provided. I'm gonna presume we just share completely different perspectives on the Simulationism Vs. Gamism debate. The ELH\SRD themselves have the vast majority of the "tricks" we're talking about.

Because improved metamagic is a really well-hidden feat. :: gently sardonic ::
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-07-01 at 04:28 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

17. - Top - End - #17

Legendary Canonical NPCs, ones who are Epic Casters that the Devils fear, should be able to destroy any low-epic party. That one can't. I'm not talking necessarily Cindy here, but taking Combat Casting? Really? That's not unoptimized, that's saying 'I want an evil party to kill me and take my stuff'.
    This is 3.0 we're talking about. Core and ELH only. Mormekdain was level 1 long long ago. What did you want him to pick when he started his career? Toughness?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Falls into the trap of "if you stat it, they will want to kill it". Better to just say that Mordy shows up, nukes the bajebus outa ya, no save, and be done with it. Like the guy who tried to stat up a Supernova...whats the point? It doesn't matter if you roll a hundred thousand dice or a million, likewise it doesn't matter what Mordy's actual stats are. You piss him off, you die.

Game over mang! Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    This is 3.0 we're talking about. Core and ELH only. Mormekdain was level 1 long long ago. What did you want him to pick when he started his career? Toughness?
    I can understand a misspell of one letter, but there's some serious difference between Mordenkainen and Mormekdain.
    Last edited by Gorbash; 2009-07-01 at 04:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Our group just encountered Mordy in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. According to Wikipedia, Mordenkainen is Gary Gygax's PC Wizard (citation needed). I didn't know that.

I wonder if Nystul, Rary, or Bigby are player characters for other big names in DnD.

Also, can you imagine if Disjunction was invested as a custom spell by a player in a modern game?
    Last edited by AvatarZero; 2009-07-01 at 04:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Virtually all of the trademarked humanoids mentioned in the names of core feats and spells - Robilar (not a wizard!), Mordenkainen, Bigby, Melf - are from Gygax's groups.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Virtually all of the trademarked humanoids mentioned in the names of core feats and spells - Robilar (not a wizard!), Mordenkainen, Bigby, Melf - are from Gygax's groups.
    I believe bigby was mord's minion, who was originally evil, that he charmed+permanted and "redeemed". Not completely sure where I heard that, but i remember thinking that was the case. (it might not be canon, but I'm 60% sure it is)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a sidebar in one of the 4e books that says that all of the high and mighty wizards who have spells/rituals named after them are old Gygaxian Era PCs.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I recall from some article about something that Gygax wrote that Bigby had brothers named (really) Rigby and Digby. The way it was written it was clear he was talking about an actual game he was involved in, not a story or something.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

They are all NPCs from the world of Greyhawk, Gygax's brainchild. Whether they were PCs or NPCs, I do not know, but they are all from Greyhawk cannon. For instance, Lord Robilar, as mentioned above, was a fighter who was part of the hero's who tricked Iuz (bad guy) and imprisoned him in the ruins beneath Castle Greyhawk. If you can, see if you can get your hands on some of the year 8 Living Greyhawk modules. They involve a lot of showdown between Mordy, Tensor, Rary, Otiluke, and a few other of the famed Circle of 8.

Also, I refer you to www.canonfire.com, the most expansive collection of Greyhawk lore I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonfire
    The Circle of Eight
    The Circle was founded in 571 CY by Mordenkainen, from the remnants of the Citadel. The exact make-up of the eight has changed over time and has continued to remain somewhat of a secret to the general populace of the Flanaess.

Among the group's original members were former Citadel member Bigby, as well as the wizards Bucknard, Drawmij, Leomund, Nystul, Otto, and Rary. In 574 CY, Leomund left to explore other planes of existence, and was replaced by former Citadel member Tenser.
    Also from canonfire:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordenkainen
    Creative origins
    Originally a player character invented by Gary Gygax, Mordenkainen's name is derived from the names Mordecai and Lemminkainen.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-07-01 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

In one Dragon Magazie should be Iggwilv stats, too. Far more powerfut than mordenkainen, Level 30 or so. If you wonder who's she, take a look in FCI. She was previously known as Natasha (Tasha).

Anyway, when you see Mister M. stats, think about 4 things:

- When it was written, he was core + ELH

- Not everybody play optimized

- He's a Wiz. Can kick you ass anyway with the right spell selection, IMHO

- Mordy was great more for his political manipulations and his "true neutral" attitude.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-07-02 at 03:39 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Indeed. I think a couple of the Greyhawk gods are ascended Gygaxian PCs. Most notably Farlhganan or what have you.

I can understand a misspell of one letter, but there's some serious difference between Mordenkainen and Mormekdain.
    Sounds like someone mispronounced the summoning ritual again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Indeed. I think a couple of the Greyhawk gods are ascended Gygaxian PCs. Most notably Farlhganan or what have you.
    St. Cuthbert?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    I do have a Mordenkainen build in my back pocket, a sort of image in my head. It's how I want to think of the last truly tangible avatar I have for Gary Gygax. Warm, affably omnipotent, strongly neutral, and invested in something larger and better than you or I.
    I don't really think Warm and Affable really apply to the creator of the Tomb of Horrors.

Nor do they really apply to the mage who invented the ultimate weapon to destroy other mages.

Also the whole 'start beating up on Good guys the moment you've finished helping them win, to preserve Balance' thing is kind of mean.