New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default best mundane weapon in 3.5

pretty much a non magical weapon. what's the best one you can get without going into abilities in terms of pure damage output.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: best mundane weapon in 3.5

Scythe. Definitely.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote to mercurial greatsword. 2d6 is reliable and in case the enemy is vulnerable to crits, x4 can turn a combat.

Probably there are better ones, but..
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    My vote to mercurial greatsword. 2d6 is reliable and in case the enemy is vulnerable to crits, x4 can turn a combat.

Probably there are better ones, but..
    Yes, but you're wasting an EWP feat for 2 extra damage. Scythe is also slashing, two-handed, has a x4 critical multiplier and deals 2d4 damage.

Also, Scythe can make trip attacks.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2009-07-02 at 05:29 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Greatsword (2-12 + 1+1/2Str, 19-20, x2), or Greataxe (1-12 + 1+1/2Str, 20, x3).

Eschew the false allure of exotica, and put aside twinkish ways. Walk forevermore in the path of hack'n'slash-ish righteousness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

so 8d4 versus 4d6? yeah I think scythe is better in terms of crits and trips are good from what I know. however how many criticals do I really have a chance of getting? also somebody mentioned some form of hammer that deals 3d6.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Greatsword (2-12 + 1+1/2Str, 19-20, x2), or Greataxe (1-12 + 1+1/2Str, 20, x3).

Eschew the false allure of exotica, and put aside twinkish ways. Walk forevermore in the path of hack'n'slash-ish righteousness.
    wait. greatsword gets 2d12? or am I reading that wrong?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theburningfield View Post
    also somebody mentioned some form of hammer that deals 3d6.
    Greathammer. It only deals 3d6 damage for Large creatures or medium creatures with Powerful Build. It also has x4 critical multiplier, is bludgeoning and gives bonuses to sunder. Sadly, it's an Exotic Weapon.

Also, you're reading it wrong. It deals damage between 2 and 12 inclusive, not 2d12.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2009-07-02 at 05:38 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Greathammer. It only deals 3d6 damage for Large creatures or medium creatures with Powerful Build. It also has x4 critical multiplier, is bludgeoning and gives bonuses to sunder. Sadly, it's an Exotic Weapon.

Also, you're reading it wrong. It deals damage between 2 and 12 inclusive, not 2d12.
    okay. otherwise I'd be using that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Greatsword, you just can't beat 2d6, crit 19-20/x2 no exotic proficiency required.
    much better than greatAx - 1d12, crit x3. because 2d5 has the bellcurve probablity.
    2d6 normally around 7, minimum 2
    1d12 equally likly to be 1 as it is to be 12.

if you want to spend a feat then maybe fullblade, 2d8 crit 19-20/x2.

two Bastard Swords 1d10, with the oversided two weopon weilder from complete adventurer, is a cool idea, if you have full round actions to use though.

I likethe idea of the Warfan: your enemies must make a sensemotive vs your bluff to realise it's a weopon (until you use it), granting you a +4 to attack if they fail. but it's only a 1d6.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Yes, but you're wasting an EWP feat for 2 extra damage. Scythe is also slashing, two-handed, has a x4 critical multiplier and deals 2d4 damage.

Also, Scythe can make trip attacks.
    Yeah true. Our group uses Weapon Categories so you can take EWP for free at level 1 if you BAB is +1. I have to admit that my judgement is not balanced.
    Spoiler
    Show

The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Falchion is also a contender due to 18-20/x2 criticals, which in practice means a lot of multiplications (really nice for characters with high base damage modifiers).

Oerthblood Greatsword deals strictly the most damage though.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oerthblood Greatsword deals strictly the most damage though.
    Wasn't oerthblood a debuffer agains spell saves?
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-07-02 at 06:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Wasn't oerthblood a debuffer agains spell saves?
    That and +1 Luck to hit & damage.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

That and +1 Luck to hit & damage.
    Didn't remember this. Wow. Even better than Baatorian Greensteel, unless you have a luck bonus from another source.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, assuming I'm not making some grave error, if you're looking for average damage output you can do the following:

Find the average damage of the weapon, which is one-half the highest die value plus 0.5.
    Example (Scythe): (Add values together if using multiple dice) The average of 1d4 is 2.5, so the average of 2d4 is 5.

Find the average critical damage.
    Example (Scythe): 2d4x4 is 8d4 for an average of 20.

Multiply the average critical damage by the chance to critical.
    Example (Scythe): A Scythe only criticals on a 20, which is 5%. 0.05 x 20 is 1.

Add that value to the average damage.
    In this case the total would be 6.

So, over time, the average damage of a scythe is 6
    The average damage of a greatsword is 8.4
    The average damage of a greataxe is 7.475
    The average damage of a falchion is 6.5

You do have to take strength bonuses into account. If you have a +4 strength bonus (which is of course +6 damage with a 2-hander), for example, the greatsword's average becomes 14.3 and the greataxe's become 14.375.

I'm sure someone will point out that I'm missing something, but this seems to work.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2009-07-02 at 07:41 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And the Scythe's average damage turns into 13.2, at +4 strength bonus.

At a Strength of 30 (Str bonus +10, +15 with a 2-hander):

Greataxe:24.725
    Scythe:24

So it would seem the Scythe would pull ahead as strength increases, but it takes a very great deal of strength indeed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    stuff
    I'm not sure this works, as the exact numbers really depend on the AC you're attacking. This is especially true for varying critical ranges.

But yeah, .05*0+.9025*damage+.0475*crit should get you the average damage vs. AC 0 (accounting only for natural misses).

For scythe, that'd be .9025*5+.0475*20=5.4625 vs. Greatsword's .855*7+.095*14=7.315.

I'd say your calculations are thrown astray where you add the average critical damage to the base damage. I'm just not convinced it leads to the right results, as it emphasizes the base damage.

EDIT: But yeah, it's obvious that weapons with higher critical factor (that is, higher critical multiplier or critical chance; the effect of multiplier vs. chance should be identical) benefit more of high damage bonuses.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-02 at 07:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'd say your calculations are thrown astray where you add the average critical damage to the base damage. I'm just not convinced it leads to the right results, as it emphasizes the base damage.
    I think it about breaks even - normal hits don't always hit, but criticals aren't always confirmed either - and since confirming a critical requires a hit, the hit/critical ratio should be about even for any target.

20. - Top - End - #20

EDIT: But yeah, it's obvious that weapons with higher critical factor (that is, higher critical multiplier or critical chance; the effect of multiplier vs. chance should be identical) benefit more of high damage bonuses.
    I was kind of thinking that, myself, but I think it helps account for critical damage/chance in weapon choices. I had hopes that someone who knew what they were doing would post a more accurate equation .

You can't ignore critical range and damage multipliers in weapon consideration completely, since it WILL factor in at some point. A weapon with a critical range of 20/x2 (against an AC of 0, yes) will do double damage roughly 5% of the time (though it won't always confirm so I guess that does indeed throw it off.) I included it because I was trying to look at average damage over a long period.

I don't think you need to take armor class into consideration unless you're also taking power attack into consideration, since it's going to have the same effect regardless of weapon damage.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2009-07-02 at 08:04 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok its situational but i'll put a offside call for the lance, the automatic x2 damage for charging means it gets a lot of bonus out of a charge , add in some feats and so on and you can rapidly rack up the damage (got a level 8 character up to a potential 189 damage on a crit when charging: for those looking at averages the standard damage worked out at 3d8 + 64 +3d6 +4d6 acid, required only 2 rounds buffing on a 32 point buy character)

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    ok its situational but i'll put a offside call for the lance, the automatic x2 damage for charging means it gets a lot of bonus out of a charge , add in some feats and so on and you can rapidly rack up the damage (got a level 8 character up to a potential 189 damage on a crit when charging: for those looking at averages the standard damage worked out at 3d8 + 64 +3d6 +4d6 acid, required only 2 rounds buffing on a 32 point buy character)
    Uberchargers don't count!

Also, are you doubling the acid damage? Normally when multiplying damage you multiply only the base dice of the weapon and any static bonuses (+2, +3, etc), not any extra dice of damage (such as sneak attack or flaming). This is why 'burst' weapons specifically state that they have an extra effect on a critical hit.

You're right about the charge, though. Since you're going to need to advance into combat at least once, a lance isn't a bad choice even if you only use it for the initial charge and then quickdraw something else.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2009-07-02 at 08:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I was kind of thinking that, myself, but I think it helps account for critical damage/chance in weapon choices. I had hopes that someone who knew what they were doing would post a more accurate equation .

You can't ignore critical range and damage multipliers in weapon consideration completely, since it WILL factor in at some point. A weapon with a critical range of 20/x2 (against an AC of 0, yes) will do double damage roughly 5% of the time (though it won't always confirm so I guess that does indeed throw it off.) I included it because I was trying to look at average damage over a long period.
    That's why I posted what I use; take percentage of the damage that's dealt as normal damage, percentage that's dealt as critical damage and add them up. It basically cuts 5% of the standard damage off from your calculations.

I don't think you need to take armor class into consideration unless you're also taking power attack into consideration, since it's going to have the same effect regardless of weapon damage.
    The relevant difference is that critical confirmation varies; the weapons that rely more on critical hits (such as the Scythe or the Falchion) for their damage output are hurt more by higher crit confirmation difficulty, because it's going to cut into the critical hit frequency and the weapons that rely on criticals are most hurt by that.

So if one wants to account for criticals, one has to account for AC too. I mean, sure you could do 95%*standard + 5%*critical calculations (or well, X% dependent on critical range), but those favour critical-heavy weapons over what would happen in a game.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok stripping out the psychic warrior stuff
    Lvl 2 fighter can get 3d8 (spirited charge) +18 (strength wielded 2 handed kontos style) +1d6 (powerful charge)
    Or add 9 for full power attack.
    None of this needs a crit.
    As you say though you need other options as on foot its a pretty tame d8 reach weapon
    Fitz
    Last edited by Fitz; 2009-07-02 at 09:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, no one has mentioned Unarmed Strike. Completely ignoring magical enhancements to the weapon, the Unarmed Strike and other natural attacks are some of the easiest damage types to scale up, as evident in most King of Smack builds. Who cares that you are only getting +1x str bonus and 1:1 power attack when you are swinging 64d6 hamfists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Falchion. Same average damage as the scythe, but more consistent. More average damage than the greatsword after you count crits and the improved crit feat (or keen edge spell or scabbard of keen edges or etc.). No proficiency feat.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-02 at 09:44 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Hmmm, no one has mentioned Unarmed Strike. Completely ignoring magical enhancements to the weapon, the Unarmed Strike and other natural attacks are some of the easiest damage types to scale up, as evident in most King of Smack builds. Who cares that you are only getting +1x str bonus and 1:1 power attack when you are swinging 64d6 hamfists!
    You can't power attack with an unarmed strike, since it is considered a light weapon, even for monks.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Falchion. Same average damage as the scythe, but more consistent. More average damage than the greatsword after you count crits and the improved crit feat (or keen edge spell or scabbard of keen edges or etc.). No proficiency feat.
    I have to second the falchion.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2009-07-02 at 09:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

pretty much a non magical weapon. what's the best one you can get without going into abilities in terms of pure damage output.
    Straight out damage? Fullblade. 3d6 at medium size.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Straight out damage? Fullblade. 3d6 at medium size.
    Doesn't that require exotic proficiency though?

obnoxious
    sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you really mean "without going into abilities", you have to remember that every weapon requires some sort of proficiency. The only weapons that every base class is proficient in are the club, dagger, and crossbow (light/heavy). So obviously the answer is the heavy crossbow at 1d10 damage.