New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default I need Knowledge The Planes to be a class skill...

...but I am a Half-Elf Beguiler. How do you think I can make this happen?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: I need Knowledge The Planes to be a class skill...

Educated feat from Eberron, Knowledge Devotion feat from Complete Champion, Apprentice feat from (I think) DMG2 or Unearthed Arcana.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

CLICK MAH EGGS/DRAGONS!

4. - Top - End - #4

There's an Abyssal Heirtor feat in FC1 that gran ts Knowledge the Planes and Spellcraft as class skills.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As half-elf, you qualify for Able Learner (Races of Destiny). If you take a cross-class level with a class that has Knowledge (Planes), this feat effectively makes it a class skill for you regardless of what class you are leveling up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    As half-elf, you qualify for Able Learner (Races of Destiny). If you take a cross-class level with a class that has Knowledge (Planes), this feat effectively makes it a class skill for you regardless of what class you are leveling up.
    One problem. Don't you need to be 1st level for Able Learner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boostaloo View Post
    Ask your DM (nicely) if you can sub it in for one of your other skills, or if you can just spend points on it. Skills in 3E do nothing level-appropriate anyway, so it'll be about on par with giving someone a free weapon proficiency feat (i.e.: big whoop!)

Why jump through RAW hoops in what is your game?
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-07-02 at 02:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bosssmiley is exactly right. That being said,

Quote Originally Posted by Emong View Post
    The Cosmopolitan feat from FRCS is better if you don't want to multiclass as, in addition to giving you a class skill of your choice, it also grants a +2 in that skill.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Why jump through RAW hoops in what is your game?
    Because searching for obscure feats and alternate class features can be an interesting exercise.

Alternately, because your DM is reluctant to deviate from published game material. Even though page 110 of the PHB talks about customizing classes and races by doing minor things like swapping out class skills. Presumably, such a DM trusts the judgment of professional game designers more than he trusts his own. The poor, naive fool...
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

You might also go with cosmopolitan from FR. +3 to a skill and it becomes a class skill.
    My dad always said, "Son, nobody ever won anything by getting even. You have to get ahead."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Knowledge Devotion in Complete Champion. It not only gives you a Knowledge skill of your choice as a class skill forever, but you also get bonuses in combat against certain creatures based on your Knowledge checks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

You know, there's a much better feat out there from Complete Mage or Complate Arcane called "Favored Magic Foe." Choose a type of foe (like Evil Outsider for example) and you gain +1 to penetrate their SR, and +1 to your spell save DCs vs them. You also gain a skill as a class skill depending on the type of foe you chose. If you picked Evil Outsider, you'd get Knowledge (the planes).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You could take levels in Human Paragon; the first level one lets you choose ten skills as class skills, and then lets you choose one of those to always count as a class skill. And the second level and third levels give you spellcasting, a bonus feat, and an ability score boost.

You'd lose a level in spellcasting (maybe two if your DM forces you to hew to the rule that says you have to take a level of half-elf paragon first, but then you can take the second level in half-elf paragon which is pretty decent), which always sucks, but it'd give you a few d8 hit dice and a bonus feat or two.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-02 at 04:44 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: I need Knowledge The Planes to be a class skill...

Quote Originally Posted by Boostaloo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you going for the fiend-blooded PrC?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    You know, there's a much better feat out there from Complete Mage or Complate Arcane called "Favored Magic Foe." Choose a type of foe (like Evil Outsider for example) and you gain +1 to penetrate their SR, and +1 to your spell save DCs vs them. You also gain a skill as a class skill depending on the type of foe you chose. If you picked Evil Outsider, you'd get Knowledge (the planes).
    It's in Complete Mage, but you're misremembering the feat description. The "associated skill" is the skill in which you must have six ranks to qualify for the feat (if you don't have Favored Enemy). It is not granted as a bonus class skill.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Really? Then my DM must've house ruled the feat to make it better.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The Cosmopolitan feat from FRCS is better if you don't want to multiclass as, in addition to giving you a class skill of your choice, it also grants a +2 in that skill.
    That's not what I'm seeing...
    Prerequisite: Dwarf (Waterdeep), elf (Waterdeep), half-elf (Waterdeep), halfling (Amn), or human (Amn, the Golden Water, the Sword Coast, or Waterdeep).
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive checks.
    Special: You may select this feat only as a 1st-level character. You may have only one regional feat.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #18

From Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 34:

Choose a nonexclusive skill you do not have as a class skill. You gain a +2 bonus on all checks with that skill, and that skill is always considered a class skill for you.
    It's 3.0, and dated by the reference to "nonexclusive" skills, but since there are no exclusive skills in 3.5, it should still work. And yeah, there is a regional requirement, but that's just fluff and could easily be discarded by a rational GM. Doesn't have to be taken at first level, though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Knowledge Devotion in Complete Champion. It not only gives you a Knowledge skill of your choice as a class skill forever, but you also get bonuses in combat against certain creatures based on your Knowledge checks.
    +1 to this.

if you plan to use increase Knowledge the planes you will be able to give your entire party a bonus to hit based on a skill check.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area