New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 3.5 DnD question: Use 2 shields?

I was thinking of a possible fighter build that involved, instead of weilding conventional weapons, would just use two spiked shields and he'd go around shield bashing everything. I was looking in the rulebooks to see if this would be allowed - would the two shield bonuses stack, or would it be pointless do do a build like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 DnD question: Use 2 shields?

Bonuses of the same type never stack.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rezplz View Post
    I was thinking of a possible fighter build that involved, instead of weilding conventional weapons, would just use two spiked shields and he'd go around shield bashing everything. I was looking in the rulebooks to see if this would be allowed - would the two shield bonuses stack, or would it be pointless do do a build like this?
    This makes the rounds every so often... it would be pointless.

Shield bonuses to AC do not stack. Therefore it is in every way inferior to using a weapon and shield combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've wondered about it in the past. I know that bonuses of the same type don't stack, but it doesn't make sense in this instance. If you're carrying two shields, you'll likely be harder to hit than if you're carrying one shield.
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    I've wondered about it in the past. I know that bonuses of the same type don't stack, but it doesn't make sense in this instance. If you're carrying two shields, you'll likely be harder to hit than if you're carrying one shield.
    Morbo Says Shield Not Work That Way!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

You could do it, but you'd only get one shield bonus at a time (either the one you didn't bash with, or the higher bonus).
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You can carry a spiked shield in your main hand and a tower shield in your off hand. Normally you'll only get the tower shield's bonus, but when you take the action to use the tower shield to get full cover, you lose its shield bonus to AC, so you get the spiked shield's bonus then.

Not really worth it, but it's as close to useful as you can come, really.

Well, I suppose one benefit of the two-shield approach is that you can load them both up with enhancements... the numerical plusses don't stack, but different magical properties would. If you care about that sort of thing, really feel like you need more of it, and are a high enough level to afford it, I guess that's an option.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Therefore it is in every way inferior to using a weapon and shield combination.
    In almost every way. There is one benefit: you can get your Weapon Focus/Specialization/etc to both.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Shield bonuses to AC do not stack. Therefore it is in every way inferior to using a weapon and shield combination.
    Not quite: you could take Improved Critial and Two Weapon Fighting, and have it apply to both shields.

[Edit] Darn you ninjas!

But as said before, two shield bonuses do not stack; you would take the higher of the two. This also includes Two Weapon Defense - because TWD is a shield bonus, it would grant you no benefit if used with an actual shield.
    Last edited by erikun; 2009-07-03 at 04:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I had a player who used the aforementioned Tower Shield+Shield Bash technique. It was amazingly effective, even with the -2 on attacks from the Tower Shield. He was disturbingly hard to hit, made worse by the fact that he was a knight. o.O

Didn't do vast amounts of damage, but tanked amazingly well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You can enchant the two with different things. That might be fun.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2009-07-03 at 05:13 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfFighterGuy

you're invited to my games, i'll allow the nonmagical part of the bonus, due to it actually being a large plate of metal or wood between you and the opponent. We could even work out some kind of dual strike feat with bull rush and two spiked shields, maybe a rend effect later on.

But RAW, no, you crazy person you.

i like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If you're gonna use two shield,s just go the two-weapon fighting route and shield bash 7 times a round. 8 with haste.

14. - Top - End - #14

http://sites.google.com/site/maptool...w/shiningaegis

Its a little prestige class I created for a friend of mine. A *lot* of the bonuses could end up being pre-reqs instead, and the class could easily be made into 10 level instead of 5. Also, the divine casting can easily be omitted.

It's far from truly balanced - Just a quick something.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mavian View Post
    Bonuses of the same type never stack.
    Liar. Dodge bonuses stack.

16. - Top - End - #16

i like the tower shield/spiked shield idea... 50% miss chance and +2 to AC

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Liar. Dodge bonuses stack.
    True, I should've stated that almost no bonuses of the same type stack.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

You could enchant one shield for defense with lots of boring +enhancement to AC, and the other for offense with Bashing and shield spikes and such... then put other defensive things like Death Ward or even Time Buttress on it too. But that would be silly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

It wouldn't work, and more to the point would be so absurd that if I were a DM I would disallow it on the basis that it's absurd. It's one of those characters that either is intended to slide some exploit in the rules by me or else is simply to get attention.

I don't allow characters that exist for no other reasont han to do something bizarre.
    Last edited by Diamondeye; 2009-07-03 at 06:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    It wouldn't work, and more to the point would be so absurd that if I were a DM I would disallow it on the basis that it's absurd. It's one of those characters that either is intended to slide some exploit in the rules by me or else is simply to get attention.

I don't allow characters that exist for no other reasont han to do something bizarre.
    Explain why a person can't wield two shields, one for defense and one for hitting things?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Explain why a person can't wield two shields, one for defense and one for hitting things?
    Because they'd get in the way of each other. Yes, I know that they wouldn't according to RAW, but I don't run my games by strictly RAW. If it were a practical way to fight someone else would be doing it. It's just silly.

Moreover, I really don't owe you an explaination for why I don't allow absurd or silly characters in my games, but I'll give you one anyhow: characters built around stuff liek this inevitably cause problems. The player knows its weird and attention getting, and when the novelty of the 2-shield technique or whatever wears off, they're on to some other thing to get attention.

Either that or there's some weird rules exploit they've discovered using this technique and they intend to try to rules-lawyer me into allowing it. Since I take a dim view of rules-lawyering in the first place, I nip it in the bud on the basis of being absurd.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Because they'd get in the way of each other. Yes, I know that they wouldn't according to RAW, but I don't run my games by strictly RAW. If it were a practical way to fight someone else would be doing it. It's just silly.

Moreover, I really don't owe you an explaination for why I don't allow absurd or silly characters in my games, but I'll give you one anyhow: characters built around stuff liek this inevitably cause problems. The player knows its weird and attention getting, and when the novelty of the 2-shield technique or whatever wears off, they're on to some other thing to get attention.

Either that or there's some weird rules exploit they've discovered using this technique and they intend to try to rules-lawyer me into allowing it. Since I take a dim view of rules-lawyering in the first place, I nip it in the bud on the basis of being absurd.
    I didn't actually ask for the latter explanation, but thank you. I don't agree on any of your points, but hey, it works for you, right?

As for the shields, I can say from personal experience that yes, you can actually use two shields effectively. It's not as good as a sword and shield, but it can be done. I'll respect your right to not like it though.

23. - Top - End - #23

I nip it in the bud on the basis of being absurd.
    There's nothing wrong with trying to be a bit silly and attention-getting, so long as it does not significantly get in the way of other things you do; indeed, I'd offer that such people are the majority of what make life enjoyable.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I like playing things that are different, but not for rules exploits, and not because I'm an attention-whore.

I just don't like the standard-issue character-fodder presented in the 3.5 core books (which has greatly annoyed a number of DMs I've played with, because they refused to accept that non-Tolkienesque fantasy was actually fantasy of any kind).

Maybe the person wanting to play the 2-shield fighter simply wants mechanical novelty, or maybe he saw a few abilities he thought would be cool if done just so.

I can think of a number of shield abilities that I'd think would be interesting alternatives to two weapons or a weapon and a shield.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Not quite: you could take Improved Critial and Two Weapon Fighting, and have it apply to both shields.

[Edit] Darn you ninjas!

But as said before, two shield bonuses do not stack; you would take the higher of the two. This also includes Two Weapon Defense - because TWD is a shield bonus, it would grant you no benefit if used with an actual shield.
    Or you could do the same with two longswords and have better damage output
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Actually, if you're going sword and board, A shield isn't a bad weapon to use as the sword.

You shield bas with it, and lose its bonus to AC... Which you still have otherwise from the other shield.

It does good damage, and, in a pinch, has several feats for throwing and the like. You can power attack with it... I mean, it's a good combination.

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

I had an idea for a prestige class that was pretty much a walking wall, allowing shield bonuses to stack. Shield Guardian. I didn't want to copy the construct, but that was the name I chose in the end. Masters of armor and defense. They couldn't be evil (at least to enter and gain levels), and could ad their AC to their allies'. They weren't supposed to be very realistic, but I like the idea.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Hat-Trick View Post
    I had an idea for a prestige class that was pretty much a walking wall, allowing shield bonuses to stack. Shield Guardian. I didn't want to copy the construct, but that was the name I chose in the end. Masters of armor and defense. They couldn't be evil (at least to enter and gain levels), and could ad their AC to their allies'. They weren't supposed to be very realistic, but I like the idea.
    Aaaand now I have to make that. Thank you for taking up that much more of my time.

Anyway, Dwarven Defender allows shield bonuses to stack, but it's a horrible prestige class. If you want anything decent involving two shields, you need some sort of homebrew to be involved.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

One shield with the ranged enhancement for bashing and throwing, another for AC, and one animated tower shield?

What happens if you have a thri-kreen? Do you get four regular shields and one animated tower shield?

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Aaaand now I have to make that. Thank you for taking up that much more of my time.
    Don't forget to give them full movement in armor and lessened armor penalties. Oh, and they could bash with a tower shield. I think there was also something about them being able to knock opponents back, and usually prone.