New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default OK, seriously, what's this "Leaping Attack?"

So, I'm horribly confused. I've heard mention of getting lots of power in 3.5 doing some sort of "leaping attack" a la Belkar. How?? I don't recall anything remotely like this in the SRD, and I don't want to be missing out on the chance to score some srs dmg!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OK, seriously, what's this "Leaping Attack?"

Assuming that they mean the leap attack feat it is in complete adventurer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    So, I'm horribly confused. I've heard mention of getting lots of power in 3.5 doing some sort of "leaping attack" a la Belkar. How?? I don't recall anything remotely like this in the SRD, and I don't want to be missing out on the chance to score some srs dmg!
    Leap Attack feat, from ... Complete Adventurer? Requires some base attack and like 5 or 8 ranks in Jump, gives you +100% power attack damage if you leap 10 feet forward on a charge. If you're using a one-handed weapon and do a leap attack, you get 2 damage for every 1 AB given up, or if you use a two-handed weapon, you get 3 damage for every 1 AB given up.

This is generally combined with Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior, requires ... Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, and BAB +6?), letting you drop your AC instead of your attack bonus, so you keep full attack bonus, get 3x BAB to damage, but your AC goes into the negatives.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

A rule of thumb is: If they are talking about something game breaking and you don't recognize it, it is probably not in the SRD.

Alternate rule of thumb is: It is probably not in the SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Complete Adventurer feat, luckily for you, it's online.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    A rule of thumb is: If they are talking about something game breaking and you don't recognize it, it is probably not in the SRD.
    Gate. Shapechange. Timestop. Forcecage+Cloudkill. I can go on, but I think you get the point.

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Gate. Shapechange. Timestop. Forcecage+Cloudkill. I can go on, but I think you get the point.
    But, most people know about those, even if they don't know they're broken.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

http://crystalkeep.com/d20/ and http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...3&topic=1109.0 are both great for non-SRD stuff (Crystal Keep only details the first 2 levels of the PrCs it mentions sadly). Both Shock Trooper and Leap attack re featured on CK's Feats page.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hat-Trick View Post
    But, most people know about those, even if they don't know they're broken.
    Point is, Leap Attack is far from broken.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2009-07-04 at 02:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

SwashbucklerGuy

Didn't say that, I was mentioning on the well know SRD things someone else listed that WERE.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hat-Trick View Post
    Didn't say that, I was mentioning on the well know SRD things someone else listed that WERE.
    I didn't say you said it was broken. Your post was just a convenient one to bounce of off to highlight the point that it wasn't broken. Since it was a response to a response, about things outside core. Sorry for the confusion.

12. - Top - End - #12

Except that leap attack is far far far from broken, unless you combine it with Shocktrooper and a couple of other feats (and Frenzied Berserker, Im looking at YOU!) for ultimate one shot wonder cheese. At which point your DM just massively ups important hps and as well starts jumping your party members with similiar tactics.

High powered game, the combo is a must as some form of ubercharging is essential. Low powered game, leap attack is cool but isnt going to drastically change things. In fact on its own, there are plenty of more optimized feats a meleer can take instead.
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-07-04 at 02:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Correction. As erratad, Leap Attack increases power attack damage by 100%, and applies last.

So a normal power attacker (1 for 1) changes to (2 for 1). Now if he power attacks for 4, he gets +8 damage.

A Power attacker with a 2 handed weapon normally gets (2 for 1). Now it's (4 for 1). This is because it isn't a technical doubling. Now if he power attacks for 4, he gets +16 damage.

A level 10 Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior) with a two handed weapon gets (4 for 1). Now it's (8 for 1). Now, if he power attacks for 4, he gets +32 damage.

It really breaks with Shock Trooper, where you can apply the penalty to AC instead of Attack bonus. What's this mean? That frenzied berserker, above? Can power attack for 16, take a -16 to AC, attack at his Full BAB, and deal an extra 128 damage per hit. (Full attacks are possible with Psionic Lion's Charge, Rhino's Rush, or the Lion totem Barbarian's ACF (Complete Champion).

None of these are particularly optimized. A fully decked out ubercharger can get around (20 for 1) on a charge, and full attack. So that -16? is +320 damage per hit. Lion totem that with an unarmed strike off hand?
    +320, +320, +320, +320
    +160, +160, +160

Even if only the first attacks hit, and half of the second attacks hit (each round), you're looking at an average of +720 damage from power attack alone, every round. And such numbers turn DR into swiss cheese.

Yeah, your AC will be low. What's alive to hit you?
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-07-04 at 03:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Does someone have to do this every single time someone says something remotely related to non-core brokenage? Or something else they have an opinion on? Last I checked repetition without a supporting argument is not a valid way to reason. To advertise, maybe, but not reason.

I suppose it'd be better if people weren't so OCD about making sure it gets said each and every time. Then it'd look more like a casual opinion and less like they're trying hard to convince others mostly by shear volume of words.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-04 at 04:43 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Correction. As erratad, Leap Attack increases power attack damage by 100%, and applies last.

So a normal power attacker (1 for 1) changes to (2 for 1). Now if he power attacks for 4, he gets +8 damage.

A Power attacker with a 2 handed weapon normally gets (2 for 1). Now it's (4 for 1). This is because it isn't a technical doubling. Now if he power attacks for 4, he gets +16 damage.

A level 10 Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior) with a two handed weapon gets (4 for 1). Now it's (8 for 1). Now, if he power attacks for 4, he gets +32 damage.

It really breaks with Shock Trooper, where you can apply the penalty to AC instead of Attack bonus. What's this mean? That frenzied berserker, above? Can power attack for 16, take a -16 to AC, attack at his Full BAB, and deal an extra 128 damage per hit. (Full attacks are possible with Psionic Lion's Charge, Rhino's Rush, or the Lion totem Barbarian's ACF (Complete Champion).

None of these are particularly optimized. A fully decked out ubercharger can get around (20 for 1) on a charge, and full attack. So that -16? is +320 damage per hit. Lion totem that with an unarmed strike off hand?
    +320, +320, +320, +320
    +160, +160, +160

Even if only the first attacks hit, and half of the second attacks hit (each round), you're looking at an average of +720 damage from power attack alone, every round. And such numbers turn DR into swiss cheese.

Yeah, your AC will be low. What's alive to hit you?
    Is it just me, or does this math seem screwy...?

Power attack damage is 32. Increasing it by 100% yields 64, not 320.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2009-07-04 at 05:17 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

He was talking about if you optimised you can get a 20x damage. So 16 x 20 = 320.

But a normal character won't get that much.

I wonder if all that is usable with Mithral Tornado??
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

This is wrong. Both refer to the "the normal damage from her use of the Power Attack feat", or x1/x2, therefore making it 6-for-1 with both, FB and Leap Attack. That said, 4-for-24 is still plenty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Is it just me, or does this math seem screwy...?

Power attack damage is 32. Increasing it by 100% yields 64, not 320.
    He PAd for more; the first example was PA for 4, the second was PA for 16.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-07-04 at 05:22 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    He was talking about if you optimised you can get a 20x damage. So 16 x 20 = 320.

But a normal character won't get that much.

I wonder if all that is usable with Mithral Tornado??
    Ah, okay. But where in the Leap Attack errata does it say it applies last?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Leap attack is only available on a charge attack. So if Mithral tornado counts as a charge attack? Then yes. Otherwise, no.

Even a (8 for 1) power attacker, when power attacking for 16? Will get +128 for the main hand, and +64 for the off hand. The initial example I used was a power attack for 4, as an example of how quickly it scales.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Ah, okay. But where in the Leap Attack errata does it say it applies last?
    Effects generally apply in the order that is most beneficial to the character performing the action/creating the effect.

This means, as a rule of thumb, that if someone hits someone with a fireball, and they have Vulnerability (+50% damage) and Resistance to Fire 20, they'd apply the fire resist to the damage first, and multiply the remaining damage. The mitigation applies in the order most beneficial to the person mitigating.

In the same way, when someone is applying effects to an attack, they apply in the order that provides the best result for the attack (unless the ability states otherwise).

Example of abilities that state otherwise? Empower and Maximize. It specifically states that the effects don't apply in a cumulative fashion. Each is taken seperately.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-07-04 at 05:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

You would need to be able to make a full attack after a charge.
    If I recall there is a feat that allows that. Then yes Mithral tornado is usable.

Now is there any way of leaping into the middle of a group of something..
    A tiny creature with underfoot combat maybe?

Would that work?

The sprite leaps into the middle of a group of minotaurs and activates Mithral Tornado attacking all of them at the same time, giving up AC for PA (shock trooper) and using Leap attack and other nastiness, hits all of the Minotaurs for hundreds of points of damage.. slaying them all instantly.

:)
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-04 at 05:37 AM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

"Make a full attack when you charge" means just that.

It does not mean "use a full round action ability that attacks".

Maneuvers and the like do not qualify unless they specifically say that they're used on a charge, or considered a charge.

22. - Top - End - #22

You can technically combine Battle Jump [Unapproachable East] and Leap Attack though to do "charges" basically anywhere even with maneuvers/special standard action attacks.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ToB
    MITHRAL TORNADO
    Iron Heart (Strike)
    Level: Warblade 4
    Prerequisite: Two Iron Heart
    maneuvers
    Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    Range: Melee attack
    Target: All adjacent opponents
    Your weapon becomes a blur of motion as
    you swing it in a tight arc over your head.
    Once you build up enough speed, you explode
    into a sweeping attack that chops into the
    enemies around you.
    When you initiate this strike, you make
    a melee attack against every opponent
    adjacent to you. Resolve each attack
    separately. You gain a +2 bonus on each
    of these attacks, which are otherwise
    made at your highest attack bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You can technically combine Battle Jump [Unapproachable East] and Leap Attack though to do "charges" basically anywhere even with maneuvers/special standard action attacks.
    Awesome. :D
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-04 at 05:46 AM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Not a very strong maneuver to use this with, TBH. useful against numbers, but numbers aren't very strong, typically. I'd personally go with something that lets you work better against a single foe. Splash damage + Lion Barbarian will already mean you decimate groups with nothing more than Cleave / Great Cleave... Plus, that works with reach. Mithril Tornado only works on opponents that are 5 feet away.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-07-04 at 05:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Not a very strong maneuver to use this with, TBH. useful against numbers, but numbers aren't very strong, typically. I'd personally go with something that lets you work better against a single foe. Splash damage + Lion Barbarian will already mean you decimate groups with nothing more than Cleave / Great Cleave... Plus, that works with reach. Mithril Tornado only works on opponents that are 5 feet away.
    The good news is that Battle Jump can be combined with any maneuver so you have variety and options as much as you have maneuvers. Nightmare Blade is preeetty nice against a single foe with PA-returns.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I realise it isn't the strongest thing you could do.

But I have a Barbarian (whirling Frenzy)/Warblade/Fighter/Frenzied berserker in a game already.
    All I need to get are the Shock Trooper, Leap Attack and Battlejump feats for a purely awesome scene to occur..

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Text of Leap Attack:
    Leap Attack

You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into one devastating attack.

Prerequisites: Jump 8 ranks, Power Attack.

Benefit: You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat. If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.
    2handers are normally x2 the extra damage. With Leap attack, they are x3 the extra damage instead of x2.

28. - Top - End - #28

Wanna bet? 70% of broken abilities are Core-only, and nothing a melee character can do is in that list (unless you think melee is broken, which is a bad idea).

Does someone have to do this every single time someone says something remotely related to non-core brokenage? Or something else they have an opinion on? Last I checked repetition without a supporting argument is not a valid way to reason. To advertise, maybe, but not reason.

I suppose it'd be better if people weren't so OCD about making sure it gets said each and every time. Then it'd look more like a casual opinion and less like they're trying hard to convince others mostly by shear volume of words.
    It has more to do with the thought that someone thinks Leap Attack is brokenly overpowered. The fact that he called "Non-Core is usually broken" a rule of thumb proves he doesn't realize how broken Core-only can be.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leap Attack is not broken... Shock Trooper: Heedless Charge is.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomo View Post
    Leap Attack is not broken... Shock Trooper: Heedless Charge is.
    No, just good. It sucks when you realize you can't charge through a Solid Fog/Grease spell. Hell, the number of ways to make Shock Trooper suck is astounding. A Knight 3/PsiWar 1 with a Spiked Chain, Expansion, and Practiced Manifester beats a Charger with Shock Trooper hands down.