New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Gesalt v. Normal

Is there any way to balence gesalt characters with normal ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Gesalt v. Normal

Full spellcaster single-classed vs. Gestalt everything else would be reasonably balanced at mid levels.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2009-07-04 at 09:02 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Is there any way to balence gesalt characters with normal ones?
    Nope, Gestalt are not intended to balance with normal and I can't see a way to overcome the imbalance.

(I'm sure someone will say let lower tier classes gestalt and keep upper tier normal but I balancing that would be too tricky for my liking)
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This thread is talking about the D&D 3.5 class tiers but gives a good approximation of gestalt to non-gestalt balance.

5. - Top - End - #5

Unless you're going all out to make a Gestalt build overly broken with Cheese, it's a good way for Melee-based characters to be on par with Spellcasters without ToB handy.

Sure, you get a ton of extra things, but at the same time you still have to remember while you have the good sides of everything, you still only have the HP of a non-gestalt character, and only have one standard action per round.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

You can use the homebrewed multiclass-variant that hovered around the forums at some point á la AD&D multiclassing; you put XP into both Gestalt-classes separately and advance in levels in accordance. In other words, you take Gestalt-levels, but slower than usual. It should work out pretty well.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You can use the homebrewed multiclass-variant that hovered around the forums at some point á la AD&D multiclassing; you put XP into both Gestalt-classes separately and advance in levels in accordance. In other words, you take Gestalt-levels, but slower than usual. It should work out pretty well.
    Half the levelling speed would be balanced by the fact that as CR increases the XP increases; as well as by the bonus XP awarded by the disparity between them and the rest of the party.

Interesting.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

8. - Top - End - #8

I've run encounters where the enemies were Gestalt and the PCs weren't without telling the players. Oddly, the only difference is the options. The enemy ended up being on-par with the CR I gave it.

It thrashed one of the players before they dropped it, so it did its job.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vortling View Post
    This thread is talking about the D&D 3.5 class tiers but gives a good approximation of gestalt to non-gestalt balance.
    Huh? Mind being more specific/realising I play 3.5 D&D?
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

10. - Top - End - #10

Huh? Mind being more specific/realising I play 3.5 D&D?
    The entire thing is about 3.5. Search on the page for "Gestalt" (it's in the second post). The poster discusses letting some classes gestalt with some others, depending on how powerful the classes are on their own.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    The entire thing is about 3.5. Search on the page for "Gestalt" (it's in the second post). The poster discusses letting some classes gestalt with some others, depending on how powerful the classes are on their own.
    (sigh) He was implying I didn't play D&D (at least that's how I read it). After a bit of thought, though, the relevance of the thing became apparent.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Option #2: Partial Gestalt. Tier 1s and 2s are normal. Tier 3s and 4s may gestalt their levels with an NPC class of their choice (Adept, Expert, Commoner, or Warrior). Tier 5s and 6s may gestalt their levels with any other Tier 5 or 6 class of their choice, or Adepts. Result? Again, a healthy power boost for the low Tiers. Suddenly the Rogues can have full BAB and lots of hitpoints, and the Monks can have Fighter powers too. Very handy. Plus, multiclassing works... it's just that if you start as a Fighter//Monk and want to take a level of, say, Ranger, that level must have an NPC class on the other side. If for some reason you wanted Sorcerer, you wouldn't be gestalt at all in that level. Lord knows Fighters get a lot better when they can be Fighter//Monks or Fighter//CA Ninjas or whatever.
    Good enough without gestalt:
    Tier 1: Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Archivist, Artificer, Erudite
    Tier 2: Sorcerer, Favored Soul, Psion, Binder (with access to online vestiges)
    May choose an NPC class (Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, (Magewright), Warrior) to Gestalt with:
    Tier 3: Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Crusader, Bard, Swordsage, Binder (without access to the summon monster vestige), Wildshape Varient Ranger, Duskblade, Factotum, Warblade, Psionic Warrior
    Tier 4: Rogue, Barbarian, Warlock, Warmage, Scout, Ranger, Hexblade, Adept, Spellthief, Marshal, Fighter (Dungeoncrasher Variant)
    May choose another class from this same list to Gestalt with:
    Tier 5: Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer, Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife, Expert, OA Samurai, Paladin, Knight
    Tier 6: CW Samurai, Aristocrat, Warrior, Commoner

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    The rules work too, at least from what I've seen so far. I'm running a game on that forum using those rules/tiers, and the players got into the idea really fast.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post
    Nope, Gestalt are not intended to balance with normal and I can't see a way to overcome the imbalance.

(I'm sure someone will say let lower tier classes gestalt and keep upper tier normal but I balancing that would be too tricky for my liking)
    not to mention the hassle with figuring out different xp for different people. I dont know about you, but I like to have the least amount extras to deal with so its easier to dm.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    not to mention the hassle with figuring out different xp for different people. I dont know about you, but I like to have the least amount extras to deal with so its easier to dm.
    You don't need to change the XP with partial gestalt, just the encounters/day need an increase from 4 to around 6.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well...Gesalt works well with tiers, it seems.

Consequenses (warning: OotS humorous)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko is happy, due to being able to advance in both mank and paladin at the same time. Oh, no!
    Belkar thinks, "Sweet, both barbarian AND ranger at the same time!"...then realises they're both on the list that you have to choose an NPC class for the gesalt. Uh-oh.
    Roy looks at the list and selects knight or something.
    Haley takes Warrior/Rogue gsalt levels and improves BAB and HP.
    Elan probably forgets, and V and Durkon don't benifet from this rule.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

17. - Top - End - #17

(sigh) He was implying I didn't play D&D (at least that's how I read it). After a bit of thought, though, the relevance of the thing became apparent.
    What?

No he wasn't.

I keep rereading what he said looking for the insult you've perceived and I cannot find it.

At all.

At all.

Mayhaps you're just being overly sensitive?

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Miko is happy, due to being able to advance in both mank and paladin at the same time. Oh, no!
    Belkar thinks, "Sweet, both barbarian AND ranger at the same time!"...then realizes they're both on the list that you have to choose an NPC class for the gesalt. Uh-oh.
    Haley takes Warrior/Rogue gesalt levels and improves BAB and HP.
    Oh, fine, I'll spoiler it...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar'd probably choose Expert for the skillpoints.

Roy... Well, he definitely wouldn't be taking Pally now... Hmm... Unless he wanted to be able to easily double-check that he was going back to where he thought he was going. And I think he'd refuse to take Adept or Magewright to make more use out of his Int score on general principle/patricidal sentiment...

O-chul would be a full fighter-paladin rather than a multiclassed fighter6(ish?)/pally3(ish?). So, more feats for him, and whatever it is that Pallys get that he has the stats to qualify for :/...

Hinjo: obligated to take aristocrat levels?

Agree about Haley and warrior... Maybe, just maybe adept(spells) or aristocrat(fluffy feelings inside).

Also, GWG I agree with TSED, I'm kinda confuzzled about what about that caused you to become upset.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-04 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    What?

No he wasn't.

I keep rereading what he said looking for the insult you've perceived and I cannot find it.

At all.

At all.

Mayhaps you're just being overly sensitive?
    First off: No insult.
    Second off: It's something I interpreted, but later realised wasn't there.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar thinks, "Sweet, both barbarian AND ranger at the same time!"...then realises they're both on the list that you have to choose an NPC class for the gesalt. Uh-oh.
    Haley takes Warrior/Rogue gsalt levels and improves BAB and HP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko is dead, and (thankfully) being gestalt probably wouldn't have helped her.

Belkar only has one real option: His Wisdom is too low for Adept to be useful; Aristocrat he is not; a Commoner he will not be called; Warrior is doubly redundant. His best option is Expert, not for the skill points, but because it has a good Will save. Being able to pick any skills as class skills may also help, and he'll get a few more skill points on his Barbarian levels.

I'd hope Roy would pick up the Dungeoncrasher variant, and maybe grab Magewright since he's probably smart enough to make use of it. If he can't because this isn't in Eberron, then he can grab Expert and get more skill points and a better Will save.

Elan can get Warrior with his Bard levels to be a better swordsman, plus he'll have all good saving throws.

V. and Durkon are always saving the day anyway, maybe now someone else will have the means to shine.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Belkar only has one real option: His Wisdom is too low for Adept to be useful; Aristocrat he is not; a Commoner he will not be called; Warrior is doubly redundant. His best option is Expert, not for the skill points, but because it has a good Will save. Being able to pick any skills as class skills may also help, and he'll get a few more skill points on his Barbarian levels.

I'd hope Roy would pick up the Dungeoncrasher variant, and maybe grab Magewright since he's probably smart enough to make use of it. If he can't because this isn't in Eberron, then he can grab Expert and get more skill points and a better Will save.

Elan can get Warrior with his Bard levels to be a better swordsman, plus he'll have all good saving throws.

V. and Durkon are always saving the day anyway, maybe now someone else will have the means to shine.
    Heh, point about Roy... Say, didn't Mr. Burlew help write up the Dungeoncrasher variant? ...He wrote something for WOTC, didn't he?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Since you replied in a spoiler...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I meant before the castle-go-blow-up thing for Miko.
    Yeah, Warrior's redundant for B.
    Why'd Roy need Expert? He could choose Monk for the same effect, plus some cool class abilities (most if which, sadly, are negated by armor...).
    Elan's explanation is fine, but it requires him to remember to use the option...hence what I said.

Where's the Dungeoncrasher varient?

Looking over the thread, I realise it's "solved" both overpowered spellcasters AND balencing gesalt. In (checks) a bit over two hours. Good job, playground.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2009-07-04 at 11:15 AM.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

23. - Top - End - #23

Looking over the thread, I realise it's "solved" ... overpowered spellcasters
    It really hasn't.

24. - Top - End - #24

Since you replied in a spoiler...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I meant before the castle-go-blow-up thing for Miko.
    Yeah, Warrior's redundant for B.
    Why'd Roy need Expert? He could choose Monk for the same effect, plus some cool class abilities (most if which, sadly, are negated by armor...).
    Elan's explanation is fine, but it requires him to remember to use the option...hence what I said.

Looking over the thread, I realise it's "solved" both overpowered spellcasters AND balencing gesalt. In (checks) a bit over two hours. Good job, playground.
    Roy benefits of Expert much more 'cause he's smart (and has all high mentals) and skilled and thus can make use of 6+Int skills (especially since with ranks, he's pretty good at anything) and having class skills of his choice over Monk (I mean, he hasn't really showed any desire to fight unarmed) is pretty major. Monk would have few decent feats on low levels, but beyond that, Expert just does it better ('cause Roy is NOT going unarmored and unarmed, thus negating 90% of Monk's class features).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25

[color]Where's the Dungeoncrasher varient?[/color]
    Dungeonscape.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Dungeoncrasher is in Dungeonscape.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

Now that I think about it...I know the PERFECT gestalt character for this. He'd blend in so well with normal characters that nobody would think he's gestalt. One of our group members is a human rouge/ranger... Its a human heavy world but he hasnt taken favored enemy humonoid (or whetever he needs.) Has a 10 WIS and is level 5...So he doesnt have any ability to use ranger spells yet, or possibly ever depending on what he does. He relies heavily on a bow, but stays far enough away so point blank shot, and sneak attack dont work. Tends to get caught up in melee...alot...alot alot. We are in a low magic item world, so his ability to get things upgraded or buy magic items is rare or non-existant (one of our players is a fighter/mage, working on taking alot of craft feats though.) I think he's a fair match for a normal charcter....or 5 kobolds

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'm planning out a game now in which limited gestalt options replace WBL for players - so only PC's and dangerous NPC's have that power (as it's equivalent to having and using magic items).

If I run it in the near future, I'll post back here.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    Now that I think about it...I know the PERFECT gestalt character for this. He'd blend in so well with normal characters that nobody would think he's gestalt. One of our group members is a human rouge/ranger... Its a human heavy world but he hasnt taken favored enemy humonoid (or whetever he needs.) Has a 10 WIS and is level 5...So he doesnt have any ability to use ranger spells yet, or possibly ever depending on what he does. He relies heavily on a bow, but stays far enough away so point blank shot, and sneak attack dont work. Tends to get caught up in melee...alot...alot alot. We are in a low magic item world, so his ability to get things upgraded or buy magic items is rare or non-existant (one of our players is a fighter/mage, working on taking alot of craft feats though.) I think he's a fair match for a normal charcter....or 5 kobolds
    If he keeps getting caught up in melee, surely sneak attack is going to show up?

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Aye, what with flanking and all, right?
    Homebrew