Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Low Level Artificer

    So, I'm playing a 1st level artificer in one game, and I recently got drafted into another where I also whipped up an artificer, that one level 4.

    The level 1 artificer hasn't actually started yet, but the 4's been through a session and so it's too late for advice like "Make sure to take the Super Special Awesome feat!"

    So how does one play an artificer at really low levels, in an undergolded party (I started with 400 plus mundane gear, the party is expecting a large bounty soon that will bring them closer to WBL but still below it)? What are the pros and cons to scrolls/potions? How do I make my penny stretch?

    What are in-game tips that can help me out? I was really feeling like I was having trouble contributing to the party.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hobart, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    You could make some cash on the side using the Mercantile Background feat.
    Gives you more gold and you could sell stuff for slightly more profit.

    Other than that I have never actually played an artificer. :)
    I should try it one session. :D
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

    Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

    Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    So, I'm playing a 1st level artificer in one game, and I recently got drafted into another where I also whipped up an artificer, that one level 4.

    The level 1 artificer hasn't actually started yet, but the 4's been through a session and so it's too late for advice like "Make sure to take the Super Special Awesome feat!"

    So how does one play an artificer at really low levels, in an undergolded party (I started with 400 plus mundane gear, the party is expecting a large bounty soon that will bring them closer to WBL but still below it)? What are the pros and cons to scrolls/potions? How do I make my penny stretch?

    What are in-game tips that can help me out? I was really feeling like I was having trouble contributing to the party.
    You need to reserve Scrolls for huge fights (and keep a relatively small supply of them) and never waste money on Potions in low wealth games. Craft everything possible yourself; with that money, I'd be crafting all your mundane gear too (with the Craft-skills) as possible. Other than that, you need to rely on your Infusions more than on your items if possible.

    Try to use solely Eternal Wands (combined with Metamagic Item infusion once you acquire it to persist them) as possible, and get low level spells to start with. And whenever possible, use your craft-skills for profit (you could Craft poisons provided you get past the illegality-part; they have really good income rate) and of course, when adventuring, you need to get a Dedicated Wright Homunculus sooner or later to keep on crafting; I'd save for one of those ASAP.

    Also, whenever you get your next feat, if you didn't pick it already, get that Extraordinary Artisan-feat which cuts 25% off all craft gold costs (XP costs aren't that big yet as being a level lower means you get more XP per encounter and quickly catch up).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jorgenfist
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Personal Weapon Augmentation: Bane. Is your friend.

    Craft: Sculpting is probably the most useful skill if you're looking to do homonculi, as I believe it translates to being able to do several of them. I think you can take ten on those checks, and so it only needs about 5-6 eventual ranks...

    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=813665 is the artificer's guide from WOTC forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Wow. Bane looks really nice.

    Spell Storing: Go ahead and cast any spell in the game whenever you like. Just because.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jorgenfist
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Wow. Bane looks really nice.

    Spell Storing: Go ahead and cast any spell in the game whenever you like. Just because.
    I think you only get up to 5th level with that... But yeah.

    The artificer is the only person who really ever uses Bane enchantments except for on ammunition due to the fact that he can specify a different bane whenever for whatever. and it gets an effective +2 enchantment out of a +1 enchantment "slot" so long as you're fighting what you've baned against.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-05 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The artificer is the only person who really ever uses Bane enchantments except for on ammunition due to the fact that he can specify a different bane whenever for whatever. and it gets an effective +2 enchantment out of a +1 enchantment "slot" so long as you're fighting what you've baned against.
    Outside killing the Tarrasque pre-epic anyways. And hell, Bane: Anything is effective +3-+4 enhancement (2d6 damage = +2, +2 to hit = half of +2 ability, ability to increase it beyond normal weapon maximum pre-epic should be other +1). It's just awesome.

    Oh yeah, you can make heavy use out of "Greater Healing" armor enhancement for cheap, if still one with money cost, healing (3d8+15 IIRC).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jorgenfist
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Outside killing the Tarrasque pre-epic anyways. And hell, Bane: Anything is effective +3-+4 enhancement (2d6 damage = +2, +2 to hit = half of +2 ability, ability to increase it beyond normal weapon maximum pre-epic should be other +1). It's just awesome.

    Oh yeah, you can make heavy use out of "Greater Healing" armor enhancement for cheap, if still one with money cost, healing (3d8+15 IIRC).
    Hmm, that reminds me... Does Bane increase the enhancement bonus to damage and to-hit by +1 or does it double the existing enhancement bonus on the weapon?

    ...Also, does Bane get most of his power from artificers and people making Elf Bane arrows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hmm, that reminds me... Does Bane increase the enhancement bonus to damage and to-hit by +1 or does it double the existing enhancement bonus on the weapon?
    Bane increases the effective enhancement bonus by +2 (so +2 to hit and to damage) and adds +2d6 damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Also, does Bane get most of his power from artificers and people making Elf Bane arrows?
    That'd make sense, wouldn't it?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I think you only get up to 5th level with that... But yeah.
    4th level... But yeah.

    You can get quite a lot out of any spell up to 4th level.

    (And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Greater Spell Storing Item" infusion in some book or other.)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jorgenfist
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    4th level... But yeah.

    You can get quite a lot out of any spell up to 4th level.

    (And I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Greater Spell Storing Item" infusion in some book or other.)
    True, it is an element of versatility that should not be discounted.

    Well, in Magic of Eberron there's Spell Snare (up to 3rd) and Greater Spell Snare (up to 6) which puts a spell or spell-like ability in an eberron dragonshard. So useless outside of eberron unless the DM lets something else count as dragonshards for it. Whups... The text describing it is misleading when compared with the text of the infusion itself...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-05 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Plus, since Spell Storing is hrs/level I believe, once you pass 8th level you can blow all your spare infusions on stored spells before going to bed and wake up ready for action.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NY

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Another vote for "Bane." +2 to hit and +2d6 damage is excellent at low levels. Put it on a ranged weapon and go to town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

    Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Thought I'd necro this rather than make a whole additional thread just because I had another question.

    A lot of people will allow the Artificer class, but many will be reluctant to include the Action Points mechanic. Without Action Points, how does one get infusions off quickly?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jorgenfist
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    You pretty much stick to your personal weapon augmentation and wand-use aside from pre-battle buffing and post-battle utility as you're able to prepare/plan/clean up.

    As far as I know, without action points, the artificer's ability to use infusions in battle is practically zilch aside from the ubiquitous bane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Earth... sort of.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Low Level Artificer

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You pretty much stick to your personal weapon augmentation and wand-use aside from pre-battle buffing and post-battle utility as you're able to prepare/plan/clean up.

    As far as I know, without action points, the artificer's ability to use infusions in battle is practically zilch aside from the ubiquitous bane.
    Actually, a large number of them are standard actions. Among the first level spells are Energy Swap, Bonus AC, Saves Bonus, Light, Magic Pebbles, Metamagic Scroll.

    It's only about half that are slow and it's always the better half. :-/
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •