New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default DMs, what would you do?

I was in my friends game today and we were in the 4.0 DMG premade adventure. We got to the 4th? room when all we saw was a boulder and a wall in the center. Me, thinking there was enemies up there and being a awesome archer ranger, fired an arrow up there and rolled a natural 20. Because my friend said a critical is when you aim and hit something he counted it as a normal die roll but also gave me a -10 to the roll making it a miss. I saw this as unfair. What would you have done?
    Last edited by Eon; 2009-07-06 at 06:20 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DMs, what would you do?

What was the ranger aiming for? The boulder.

"Congratulations. You struck the boulder. The arrow bounces off and shatters. Remember to deduct that arrow from your Character Sheet."
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-07-06 at 06:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

anything up there or beyond in the room below (which we found out about when the rogue went up)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What was the archer shooting? You need to actually specify a target in 4e.

Quote Originally Posted by bandil View Post
    anything up there or beyond in the room below (which we found out about when the rogue went up)
    Yeah, that... that doesn't work. Really. I wouldn't have even let you roll the die - there is no way you would have hit anything because you weren't attacking anything.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-07-06 at 06:18 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

archer ranger, fired an arrow up there and rolled a D20. Because my friend said a critical is when you aim and hit something he counted it as a normal die roll but also gave me a -10 to the roll making it a miss.
    I'm missing something here.

He fired an arrow at what? What did he roll? Why is it relevant what a "critical" is? Why the -10, and what did he miss?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

well since we were technically in combat and I figured that might be a good idea it was worth a shot.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

oops forgot to add that I rolled a natural 20
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you did it in combat it's even worse.

I could maybe excuse shooting an arrow "out of combat" and seeing if it hits anything, but in combat? You have to at least target a square, rather than "that area over there".

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

So you walked into a room and thought "Hey, there might be a monster nearby!" And then the ranger fired an arrow at nothing in particular, somehow assuming that it would just, you know, hit something?

Yeah, you guys need to stop drinking while you play D&D.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you are not choosing a specific target you can see, you generally can't get a critical.

And if I understand the post right, you were firing indirectly, so a penalty seems like a sound idea. From what I have read, I would have done the same thing as DM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, the first problem is that you're asking how I'd rule on a houserule only your DM uses - I'm not quite sure how I'd answer that, as I wouldn't use the rule to begin with.

Secondly, if you decided to shoot "anything up there" and there wasn't anything there, your shot would just go over the boulder and hit the far wall; simple enough. If you were hoping for a lucky shot to hit a kobold on the other side, I'd say your DM was being generous: a -10 to hit something you weren't aiming at and didn't know was there is a pretty good deal. (As I said, I would rule your arrow just hit the far wall, which would alert whatever is over there, if the fighting hadn't already.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In that case I would have let you hit whatever creature was up there, yes (assuming there was one to begin with). But by a strict reading of the rules, you wouldn't. DM's call, honestly.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

okay thanks for the clarification guys...

and no we were not drinking, it just seemed like a good idea at the time
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    In that case I would have let you hit whatever creature was up there, yes (assuming there was one to begin with). But by a strict reading of the rules, you wouldn't. DM's call, honestly.
    Why? He wasn't really rolling for anything. He was "shooting an arrow into a random area" - which is an automatic success and doesn't require a roll. It also doesn't achieve anything in particular except maybe a broken arrow.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think I would've given you anything for that poke and hope other than you wasted an arrow... even rolling a 20.

If you aimed at a specific square and there was something in that square, a -10 seems reasonable because, and correct me if I'm wrong which I may be as I don't have a screen in front of me, Superior Cover provides a -5... and Total Concealment is a -5... while something typically only benefits from one, I'd say they'd stack in this case.
    Last edited by -Cor-; 2009-07-06 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Didn't finish my thought...
    When in danger or in doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

"Plot Fairy w/ Adventure Hook" avatar expertly crafted by Rowsen. Well done, sir.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Why? He wasn't really rolling for anything. He was "shooting an arrow into a random area" - which is an automatic success and doesn't require a roll.
    Why? Because I like having funky stuff happen on a crit or fumble. When a player does something unusual and crits, I try to at least fluff it like he did something awesome (or, in case of fumble, something awkward). E.g. if this were outdoors, he could have hit a bird overhead, thus ensuring dinner for the night.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

So if you were, say, in a totally different scene outdoors, and one of your players randomly rolled a die for no reason and said "I make a Perception check! Hah, natural 20!", what would you do?

It really comes down to the same thing. A player is rolling the dice for no adequately explored reason.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

So if you were, say, in a totally different scene outdoors, and one of your players randomly rolled a die for no reason and said "I make a Perception check! Hah, natural 20!", what would you do?
    You finally recognize the exact shape of that microscopic piece of dust that's been suspended in your eye fluid that every time you try to focus on it, it floats away.

Congratulations...

Alternatively... Hey! That tree stump looks like Pelor!

"Plot Fairy w/ Adventure Hook" avatar expertly crafted by Rowsen. Well done, sir.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If the player rolls a die for no reason, nothing happens.

If the character tries something unusual and the player rolls a crit, something nice happens.

A subtle distinction. The key is, of course, that if players do this all the friggin' time (which in my experience they never do) then it wouldn't work.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That's actually not dust. How would dust get in there? It's just a coagulation of your eye fluid.

There's a proper name for it but it escapes me right now.

Most people have them at some point or another. Most of the time they just dissolve back into the fluid, although I've had one that's been with me for over ten years now...

(Wow that was off-topic.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Is this the same game that you wanted to quit?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's actually not dust. How would dust get in there? It's just a coagulation of your eye fluid.

There's a proper name for it but it escapes me right now.
    Oh dear Ioun, you knew what I was talking about...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ah, missed this part.

In that case, I'd let you hit whatever was standing up there. Nat-20 is supposed to be a lucky shot, after all.

I still wouldn't let you hit anything behind the rock, though.

24. - Top - End - #24

Rolling a natural 20 on Perception is different, because even out of game it would be an excuse for the DM to tell them something interesting about thier surroundings. As for a natural 20 attack roll at nothing, I would probably say "Congratulations. You hit a mosquito."
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Natural 20 for Perception would have the DM launch into a long tirade about the flora, fauna, the quality of road cobbles and the backstory of the scenic signpost, bust still forget to mention the enemy army you walked into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Natural 20 for Perception would have the DM launch into a long tirade about the flora, fauna, the quality of road cobbles and the backstory of the scenic signpost, bust still forget to mention the enemy army you walked into.
    Your DM was Tolkien?

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post

Yeah, you guys need to stop drinking while you play D&D.
    Hehehehehe... I remember a GURPS Supers game, maybe 10 years ago, high-powered. A group of 5 players and a GM, all wasted... we burned LA down!
    That was fun! The part I remember, at least...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Hm, that sounds familiar. I have had at least two DMs who would give a lengthy over-a-minute description of a room and detailed depictions of all the tapestries and candelabras therein, and then end with "oh yeah, there's also a dragon in the middle" as an afterthought.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm, that sounds familiar. I have had at least two DMs who would give a lengthy over-a-minute description of a room and detailed depictions of all the tapestries and candelabras therein, and then end with "oh yeah, there's also a dragon in the middle" as an afterthought.
    Well, sure, everyone knows what a dragon looks like, but candelabras? That stuff you gotta hear about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's understandable. The GM has 2 choices. Describe the room first and the dragon last, so the players actually get a picture of the room in which they'll be fighting (to avoid these sorts of questions coming up in the combat). Or describe the dragon first and the room last, with the understanding that the players aren't going to listen to a word you say after "dragon".

Really, it's a no-win scenario for the GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this